Poll - Tattooing: from male military and biker ethos...to viable witness means for both genders?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tattooing: from past male military and biker ethos...to viable witness means for both genders?

• Yes, I agree

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, I disagree

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess that even if your daughter does get into this "loop", you might prefer not to comment to her, either. :) Silence is golden...
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying if she gets a tattoo, I might not comment? Or if she gets into a biker gang? Or the military?
I wouldn't care if she got a tattoo. But i'd question her "life choices" if she joined a biker gang!! And...to be honest...sometimes i think about shipping her off to join the military! (Does that count as commenting? :p)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is just in anticipation of fading
Yes, well ppl often reckon on having to go back to the artist after some years for some emphasizing with ink.

She clearly knows a lot about the effect of sunlight and fading. Sounds like she is already rather experienced.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, well ppl often reckon on having to go back to the artist after some years for some emphasizing with ink.

She clearly knows a lot about the effect of sunlight and fading. Sounds like she is already rather experienced.
She is an artist who tattoos on the side.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying if she gets a tattoo, I might not comment? Or if she gets into a biker gang? Or the military?
I wouldn't care if she got a tattoo. But i'd question her "life choices" if she joined a biker gang!! And...to be honest...sometimes i think about shipping her off to join the military! (Does that count as commenting? :p)
Oh I wasn't talking about biker gangs, etc....

So you wouldn't care if she got a tattoo. (I guess some strict Christian moms would become anxious...) Sounds like you are a lot more relaxed than they are. (And maybe your daughter herself already guesses that you wouldn't care if she got a tattoo, either. So many Christian young ppl have it done, anyway.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She is an artist who tattoos on the side.
I guess for some tattoo artists who also do a lot of other artwork, tattoos are a sideline. For others it's as if tattoos are their ruling passion, so to speak. I guess it's all to do with the market opening up more and more because of the demand for tattoo skills; she maybe thought it was a market she just couldn't ignore...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I were to have a scripture permanently tattooed on me I don’t know wich I would chose.

FYI:

bible-verses-tattoos-3.jpg
tattoo-journal dot com

2fe7c6049c5d5c2c13c87450f010d06d.jpg
pinterest dot com

Reactions: Waiting on him

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh I wasn't talking about biker gangs, etc....

So you wouldn't care if she got a tattoo. (I guess some strict Christian moms would become anxious...) Sounds like you are a lot more relaxed than they are. (And maybe your daughter herself already guesses that you wouldn't care if she got a tattoo, either. So many Christian young ppl have it done, anyway.)
As they say...bigger fish to fry! If getting a tattoo is the worst thing she ends up doing, then I shall be a relieved mother! Truth be to tell...the only thing I truly care about, on the "big scale", is her salvation. I might not choose her fashion choices for myself, but I couldn't care less as long as she clings to Christ.

Reactions: farouk and aspen

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess it's a bit like how, while many granddaughters will have long flowing hair, not a few grandmothers have the urge to keep theirs cropped razor short. The fact that your son had the urge to jump right in to start getting tattooed - which both genders have the urge to do now, of course - is a bit like the urge to get one's hair cropped razor short, or like the urge to pierce one's ears - (which again both genders do now, right?)

They do. My son had 7 or 8 tattoos before I even thought about it. :rolleyes:

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So did you tell your son beforehand that you were going to do it, before you had it done? :)

I never planned on getting one. A long day fishing and enjoying dinner, followed by a few beers at the campfire. Plans made... smh
He was 18 when he got his first, I was 46..
So I got mine 8 years later.
He was shocked to see it as I'm a plainjane.. no jewelry(except wedding ring), no makeup, no hairdo and no fancy dress.. but hey, I have a tattoo. :eek:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He was 18 when he got his first, I was 46..
So I got mine 8 years later.
He was shocked to see it as I'm a plainjane.. no jewelry(except wedding ring), no makeup, no hairdo and no fancy dress.. but hey, I have a tattoo. :eek:

So: he the well-inked tough guy was shocked by you as a quietly confident tattooed woman and his "Ms. hey, I have a tattoo" mom! (I expect you won't forget the expression on his face, right?)

Actually I think that it goes to show just how wide the demographics of getting tattooed now are; and in a sense you helped your son understand just how wide an appeal it was having, and not only to certain perceived categories of people.

From a witness tattoo design perspective, it goes to show how much potential it has, given the wide demographics now of those who have it done.

But anyway, when he realized what you had just had done, I expect you won't ever forget the expression on his face, right?

Reactions: Acolyte

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In this new year 2019, the passage of time reminds us that young people turning 18 - when many acquire their first ink as adults - were born in 2001 (the year of 9/11).

The years have moved on considerably.

So has tattoo culture moved on also and broadened considerably also from a strongly male military and biker ethos years ago...to a viable witness means among Christians for both genders today?

Agree? /disagree?

(Honest and respectful comments, please.)

I think tattoos are repulsive.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think tattoos are repulsive.
Yes, I have never seen one that appealed to me no matter what its subject. It hurts me when I see a young person with still otherwise flawless skin who has defiled [as I see it] it in such a way. I know that people often do things they later regret. For those I have understanding, but that does not make the visible mark more palatable to me. I would guess that God has more mercy than me.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As they say...bigger fish to fry! If getting a tattoo is the worst thing she ends up doing, then I shall be a relieved mother! Truth be to tell...the only thing I truly care about, on the "big scale", is her salvation. I might not choose her fashion choices for myself, but I couldn't care less as long as she clings to Christ.
Yes, and I'm sure you really take to heart the Biblical exhortations for prayer generally and for her especially.

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT PRAYING FOR EACH OTHER

(Meanwhile a mere session or two of inking if she does it might like you say be almost be a relief for you as a mom, right?)