Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

I am sorry but you do err. God gave David Sauls wives into his bosom. Please research this and you will understand the truth.
God did not give David many wives. It was David who took it upon himself to marry many wives.

1 Samuel 25:43 David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives.

And it was Saul who also gave one of David's wife to another man in marriage.

1 Samuel 25:44 But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife, to Phalti the son of Laish, which [was] of Gallim.

So, as you can see, these are the things that MEN did. Now, look at what God did.

Genesis 2:22-25 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Hosea 1:2 The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, [departing] from the LORD.

And it was God who gave Rebecca to be the wife of Isaac (See Genesis 24).

And God sent an angel to tell Joseph to take Mary as His wife.

Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Nowhere in the Holy Bible will you find God or an angel of God telling a man to marry more than one wife. In fact, in the Holy Bible God specifically told His chosen people not to marry any Canaanite or foreign women. Why? Because it's was the pagans who worshiped many gods and took many wives.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
God did not give David many wives. It was David who took it upon himself to marry many wives.

1 Samuel 25:43 David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel; and they were also both of them his wives.

And it was Saul who also gave one of David's wife to another man in marriage.

1 Samuel 25:44 But Saul had given Michal his daughter, David's wife, to Phalti the son of Laish, which [was] of Gallim.

So, as you can see, these are the things that MEN did. Now, look at what God did.

Genesis 2:22-25 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Hosea 1:2 The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, [departing] from the LORD.

And it was God who gave Rebecca to be the wife of Isaac (See Genesis 24).

And God sent an angel to tell Joseph to take Mary as His wife.

Matthew 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Nowhere in the Holy Bible will you find God or an angel of God telling a man to marry more than one wife. In fact, in the Holy Bible God specifically told His chosen people not to marry any Canaanite or foreign women. Why? Because it's was the pagans who worshiped many gods and took many wives.

ROFL.

Where in the Scripture do we see God telling a man to marry someone, other than in the case of Mary and Joseph, where Joseph was already engaged to Mary???? Get your facts straight before you try preaching a doctrine based on them!!!!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
ZebraHug said:
ROFL.

Where in the Scripture do we see God telling a man to marry someone, other than in the case of Mary and Joseph, where Joseph was already engaged to Mary???? Get your facts straight before you try preaching a doctrine based on them!!!!
I already provided the scripture. :)

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear All,

I am happy that the doctrine of polygamy as a biblically based form of marriage has been proven here on this thread. To all those with ears to hear and eyes to see the truth has firmly been brought to the forefront and given its rightful place in relationship to scriptural marriage. It is high time that people stood up against the type of gross misinterpretation of marriage that excludes families that are following the God given pattern of Abraham, Jacob, and David. I say kudos to those who have had the courage to speak the truth and I think that in the future those who wish to call evil what God has said is good will think twice before they speak against this type of holy matrimony.

Unfortunately, we realize that there are those who still do not see the light of this blessed type of union because they still have not come to a knowledge of this truth. However, we can pray for them that one day they will. Until that time let us simply stand with God and our brethren holding on to the truth that He has graciously revealed to us.

Amen and Amen.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
James Forthwright said:
Polygamy? I have more than enough difficulty keeping one woman satisfied! :)
True that,
Homosexuals use a similar argument that truly loving is different than burning in lust. I find it hard to believe a man could equally love and cherish 50 women in the same sense as he could one. The practice of polygamy today hardly looks like a healthy proposition and more than likely looks like one man satisfying a burning lust using the bible to make it happen. Common trait---> seclusion and control in the name of God.

The bottom line is every "cult" that has practiced polygamy in recent history has tails of horror and control freak stories attached. A short list.
Warren Jeff
David Koresh
Jim Jones

The survivors never have a pretty story, when the cult is active these people live in a world separate from reality in mind as well as body.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear R,

I find it hard to believe a mother could equally love and cherish 5 children in the same sense as she could one.

I wonder why someone would automatically assume that a plural family involves lust? After all, can a man lust after his wife? Was Abraham full of lust? Was Jacob twice as lustful as Abraham since he had twice as many wives?

For some, who look in from the outside, love seems small...it is a division problem to them. However, true love does not divide but multiplies.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Justin Mangonel said:
Hi R,

If you will read the context of what happened with Solomon God was not in favor of kings multiplying wives to themselves for political alliances with other kingdoms who served other Gods. It was not the problem that Solomon had many wives but it was that the foreign wives were from pagan religions and because Solomon loved them he allowed them to build house to these strange Gods and that turn the kings heart about from the one true God.

What you say about this issue is not the truth but rather your ethnocentric bias's wrapped up in scripture that does not prove what you are saying. You would insult and judge great men of God out of a misguided interpretation of the scriptures.

Again, with Abraham, you are reading into scripture what you want it to say. The problem with Abraham is that he did not wait for the promise of the father but rather, at Sara's insistence, took matters into his own hands. This was a deviation from Gods plan and for Isaac to become what God intended Ishmael had to go.

The bottom line is that you world have advised Jacob not to take Rachel as his wife due to the fact that he had laid with Leah. You would have said, "My son, what God has put together let no man put asunder." If fact you would have advised against Jacob marrying his other two wives also. You migh have thought it a bit harsh but in truth felt is was the best advice you could offer. You would have lived you life out while half the nations of Israel was never born including the tribe of Judah from whence the Messiah came.

While you might understand some issues you are quite mistaken about this one. I am amazed at how people read in so much to the scriptures from their particular cultural viewpoint. You would have also counseled Abraham's father not to marry a second wife and either Abram or Sari would not have been born. Let us not even mention that fact that Sari was Abram's half sister...we won't even go there.

Legalism decides what it thinks about an issue and then pronouces judgement on it and only after that wraps it up in scriputure. It may feel a tinge of concience about what the consequence of ther theology are but in the end sits on its pious throne and watches as otheres suffer the consequences. Their are only two times that a legalistic theology is re-examined. In other words, only if they are about to be burned at the stake will they consider if they are really looking at things straight.

1. If the person who holds it has a Damascus road style incounter with God

2. If the theology begins to cause personal pain.

I know that those who oppose biblical polygamy are all mixed up and set like cement but I am not really writing them. For them it is merely an academic question anyways and they have not real stake n the outcome of the discussion. There are other people, perhaps from different parts of the world, that have multiple wives and have become Christians that are searching for answers to what others are telling them about their marriage situation. To those I would say this.

If you are a Christian or wish to become a Christian and have more than one wife or are wanting to take an additional wife or wives know that, Biblically at least, it is not sin so long as you afford them all the love and care of the first wife. If you will treat each of your women as Christ loves the church you are counted as a worthy Christian before God. Let no man judge you because God's opinion is the only one that counts. You can be called to any office of God's church so long as you are a man of integrity and are deemed to have the characteristics of a good leader and Paul has mentioned in the scriptures. There is no prohibition against a deacon or bishop having more than one wife because the context of those scriptures are merely saying that you must have 'A" wife so that you fitness for that position in the church can be judged by the way you run your household.

Never let anyone convince you to put away any of your wives. They are misguided individuals who would not even take their own advice if they were in a similar situations. Do not let their legalism destroy you, your wives, or your children. Stand firm with the patriarchs of old and tell them that you must obey God rather than men. Do not cow tow to those who look down their legalistic and biased noses at you, simply serve God and walk before Him with dignity knowing that you follow in the footsteps of some of the greatest men in the Bible. Love your family and never ever allow others to call unclean that which is holy i.e. your marriages.

Serve God in whatever capacity you have been called and raise your many children for the Lord and teach them to have pride that their father was like one of the patriarchs of old. If you walk like them you are indeed a blessed man. I would be honored to call you brother and fellowship with you and your wives.

God bless,

Justin Mangonel

Those are some great points. In order to understand them you have to have walked with God talked with God and felt God to appreciate why he would have some great men do this.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear B,

I guess all that "Bling" can go to good use now...smile.

Blessings,

Justin
So I see BiggAndyy post meets your high standerds
smiley-bravo.gif

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
ZebraHug said:
Hehe. So, I've finally found a nice little topic: polygamy, what does the Scripture have to say about it? Is polygamy really a sin?

After researching it, I take the negative.

:D :D :D :D
I vote yes, it is a sin.

1 Cor 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

The only time it was fine was back when the worlds population was 10 men and 100 woman. Sex was not that grand as you slept with your sisters :D.