Polygamy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is polygamy a sin/wrong?

• Total voters

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

If you worship God then you revere God. If you revere God then you must wish to serve God. If you serve God then you must wish to obey God. If you obey you must also reverence His word. Therefore, you cannot compare the marriages of His most honored men and women the the types of sins you have listed
Allowing a marriage between a man and many women is only legitimizing promiscuity, which is a sin. In the same way, same sex marriage is only trying to legitimize homosexuality, which is also a sin.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
marksman said:
How is this for an idea. In Genesis, God told man to go forth and multiply. He didn't say go forth and add. To multiply needs more than one wife.

Now, the idea posited is that in the early days of creation, there was no disease as sin hadn't had the time to infect the earth with it, so in essence anyone could marry anyone and there would be no negative consequences physically and this is the reason why people lived for hundreds of years.

This fact and to multiply and populate the earth, having more than one wife was, um, necessary.

Now that we have an overpopulated earth as some would have us believe, we don't need to go forth and multiply. Therefore it stands to reason that one wife is all that is needed and you add, not multiply, 2.4 children. I have to admit despite this being the average, I have never seen .4 of a child anywhere.

So what was needed then is not needed now, so God in his wisdom has allowed man to pass laws that say one man and one woman marriage is the way to go, unless you are a muslim of course and notwithstanding the strident demands of the pink gaystapo who want every Tom, Dick and Homosexual to be allowed to marry.
Interesting. :D

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
I like the muslim way of polygamy...expediency. Just a reasonable thing to do.
The Muslims also believe that in Allah's kingdom, they could have sex with 72 virgins that they call "Horus" and these Horus are NOT human. In other words, they can have sex with something that is not human. In the eyes of the Christian God, that is an abomination. I'm a Christian, not a Muslim.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

You are really versed in Muslim theology. Are you a former muslim?

I think that there will always be people that disagree about this subject. I think that eventually those who are led by the Spirit will see that polygamy is a biblical doctrine and stop persecuting their brethren who have more than one wife. As the Holy Spirit matures the body of Christ we will come to see things as God sees things and throw off our ethnocentric cultures.

I do agree that if same sex marriage comes to be the law of the land the polygamy cannot be far behind. However, whereas homosexuality is sin polygamy, according to scripture, is not.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

You are really versed in Muslim theology. Are you a former muslim?

I think that there will always be people that disagree about this subject. I think that eventually those who are led by the Spirit will see that polygamy is a biblical doctrine and stop persecuting their brethren who have more than one wife. As the Holy Spirit matures the body of Christ we will come to see things as God sees things and throw off our ethnocentric cultures.

I do agree that if same sex marriage comes to be the law of the land the polygamy cannot be far behind. However, whereas homosexuality is sin polygamy, according to scripture, is not.
I am not a former Muslim. I am a Christian, and Christianity has nothing to do with polygamy. Polygamy is of this world. Men have many wives so as to build up status.....and that is why Christianity is against polygamy. In polygamy, women are stripped of their dignity as human beings and treated as objects. According to the weblink below:

Polygamy means multiple spouses. The most common form is polygyny, where a man can have many wives. Less common, but found in some societies such as Tibet, is polyandry, where a woman can have many husbands. Polygyny was accepted or even preferred in three/fourths of preindustrial traditional societies, though it was seldom practiced by the commoners or lower classes. It tended to occur most frequently in societies where the route to winning wealth and political power was through attracting followers or having lots of sons to hunt for the family head or defend the family's land. So a man might marry several wives and have them produce textiles he could trade, or grow food for elaborate feasts he could use to put poorer members of the community in his debt.

In other cases, wealthy men accumulated many wives to produce more sons. It was very common for kings and other royalty to have many wives, both as a way to make alliances with other states or noble families and to ensure that they would have plenty of heirs. The king of the Merina in the highlands of Madagascar had twelve wives, each with a palace in a different part of his country. He stayed with whichever one was nearest when he traveled through the kingdom, thus avoiding the juggling problems that are fictionally portrayed in the HBO series, "Big Love."

It takes a certain amount of wealth to support more than one wife, but in many pre-industrial societies, having several wives increased a man's wealth and political power rather than being a drain on his resources. Polygyny is not usually associated with a high status for women, and in many cultures it involved very young women being forced to marry older men.
http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/marriage-partnership-divorce/polygamy.html

Christianity does not associated itself with , status, wealth and power, but with God.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Hi S,

You know, it just seems like you are against polygamy more for philosophical reasons that anything else. Are you for women liberation like feminism teaches too? Don’t you believe that women should be submissive?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Hi S,

You know, it just seems like you are against polygamy more for philosophical reasons that anything else. Are you for women liberation like feminism teaches too? Don’t you believe that women should be submissive?
I gave valid reasons why polygamy is unChristian. And no I am not a feminist.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

Unfortunately, your reasons for making polygamy un-Christian seemed more like your philosphy wrapped in scripture than accurate reading of the same. Sometimes people take strong positions which are extra biblical and then hunt for scriptures that make it seem like there postion has God's support. I cannot agree with your position for I believe it does not line up with the clearn text of scripture.

I am glad you are not a Feminist though...that is a step in the right direction.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear S,

Unfortunately, your reasons for making polygamy un-Christian seemed more like your philosphy wrapped in scripture than accurate reading of the same. Sometimes people take strong positions which are extra biblical and then hunt for scriptures that make it seem like there postion has God's support. I cannot agree with your position for I believe it does not line up with the clearn text of scripture.

I am glad you are not a Feminist though...that is a step in the right direction.
Polygamy is un-Christian and it is of this world. I've already shown you scriptures in the Holy Bible showing that in order to be a leader of the Church, one must be married to only one wife. Scripture also shows that a wife must have her own husband. A woman cannot claim a man as her own if the man she is married to is also being claimed by other women as their own.

1 Corinthians 7:2 But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.

It does not matter to me whether you agree or disagree.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear S,

Again you clothe personal bias in scripture. I am sorry but you are just not understanding the truth about this matter. That is ok for people can grow in their understanding and perhaps one day you will realize that God is more than what you make Him out to be.

I matters to me whether we disagree because I want and people to know the full truth.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Selene is absolutely correct in her position.

Using the standards for those that support polygamy, there are several other things allowed in the OT that could be done today.
Things such as putting to death impudent children and the justification for stoning under certain circumstances.

I spoke with another "informed Christian" who stated as fact that since Jesus never spoke out against polygamy or gay marraige, it shows he had no problem with either. Jesus also never spoke out against beating your wife or selling your children into slavery either, so I guess....

To all you who feel polygamy is acceptable to God, I would ask you to show one denomination or Christian organization that sanctions polygamy.
Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Assemblies of God, Presbyterian, Jewish, etc.
And if per chance you find one (other than a fringe that is likely disavowed by the body) I would ask you to provide their justification.

What you people here who support polygamy are saying is that you have insight into what God does and doesn't approve of that goes beyond true scholars and leaders within the Christian family who have spent their entire lives studying God's Word.

History is replete with people like you. And the fruits of your work always end up being nefarious.

Reactions: Selene

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear F,

Actually, polygamy is so supported by the word of God that there is not question that God has no problem with it if the women are treated with respect and honor. I understand the cultural bias are hard to see beyond and unfortunately ethnocentric values mostly rule peoples emotions when confronted with the truth of the make from scripture. However, I believe that as we all come into the unity of the faith that people will begin to see that God is much bigger than our cultural presuppositions.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I spoke with another "informed Christian" who stated as fact that since Jesus never spoke out against polygamy or gay marraige, it shows he had no problem with either. Jesus also never spoke out against beating your wife or selling your children into slavery either, so I guess....
Just as an aside, Jesus did speak about polygamy and homosexual marriage as these verses show.

Matt 19:4 But answering, He said to them, Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning "created them male and female"? Gen. 1:27
Matt 19:5 And He said, "For this reason a man shall leave father and mother, and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." Gen. 2:24
Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of creation "God made them male and female." Gen. 1:27
Mark 10:7 "Because of this, a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife,
Mark 10:8 and the two shall be one flesh;" so that they no longer are two, but one flesh. Gen. 2:24
Mark 10:9 Therefore, what God yoked together, let not man put apart.

Jesus said what he said by not saying it. The marriage bond between a man and a women was the only one that Jesus recognised. If there were others, he would have said so. The fact that he didn't meant that he did not accept other forms of marriage.

No different to me saying "If you finish this by Friday, I will give you a bonus." I didn't say "if you don't finish it by Friday, I won't give you a bonus" but I did say it by what I did say if you get my drift.

In addition Jesus said that what God yoked together no one was to break up, again implying that the male/female marriage relationship is the only one approved by God.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear M,

You cannot use what someone did not say as proof. My word....

Most of the time when people have to stretch that far to "prove" something it is an indication that their doctrine is wrong.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear F,

Actually, polygamy is so supported by the word of God that there is not question that God has no problem with it if the women are treated with respect and honor. I understand the cultural bias are hard to see beyond and unfortunately ethnocentric values mostly rule peoples emotions when confronted with the truth of the make from scripture. However, I believe that as we all come into the unity of the faith that people will begin to see that God is much bigger than our cultural presuppositions.
-- Yeah, it is "so suported by the word of God" that you cannot find a sinlge scripture in either the Old or New Test. where God speaks in support of the idea.
Hate to break it to you but just because someone did something in the Bible, it doesn't mean that God approved of it

Still, you have to admire the arrogance of a person who feels that way, but yet cannot provide a single denomination or organization that supports the concept that God support Polygamy.

Why is that do you think?
According to you it must be because all great Jewish and Christian organizations, churches, synagogues and believers are victime of "cultural bias" and succumb to that rather than God's intended purpose.

Uh huh.....

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear F,

Lots of scriptures support polygamy as a fine type of marriage...it is just that people, perhaps due to personal and cultural bias, refuse to accept them.

Really, are you saying you need a denomination to approve of polygamy before you will like it? How about the Holy naiton of Israel for few thousand years and certain sects of it now days? But really, F, does proof really matter to you or are you just against polygamy no matter what? I am personally glad that I have seen the truth of scripture so that I can minister to those who are in such marriages without bias and judgement.

I have given a proof text that shows God accepts polygamous and well and monogamous men to be with Him in heaven. Any reasonable person, even if they disliked polygamy for cultural reasons, would have realized that the issue has been settled by the scrpture I advanced. However, those who hate polygamy have soldiered on not wanting to admit anything even when I have given proof.

What I hope is that those who have such marriages will read this tread and realize that not everyone is against them and that some Christian believers actually look upon them and their wives with kindness and acceptance.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear F,

Lots of scriptures support polygamy as a fine type of marriage...it is just that people, perhaps due to personal and cultural bias, refuse to accept them.

Really, are you saying you need a denomination to approve of polygamy before you will like it? How about the Holy naiton of Israel for few thousand years and certain sects of it now days? But really, F, does proof really matter to you or are you just against polygamy no matter what? I am personally glad that I have seen the truth of scripture so that I can minister to those who are in such marriages without bias and judgement.

I have given a proof text that shows God accepts polygamous and well and monogamous men to be with Him in heaven. Any reasonable person, even if they disliked polygamy for cultural reasons, would have realized that the issue has been settled by the scrpture I advanced. However, those who hate polygamy have soldiered on not wanting to admit anything even when I have given proof.

What I hope is that those who have such marriages will read this tread and realize that not everyone is against them and that some Christian believers actually look upon them and their wives with kindness and acceptance.
The only thing you cited was biblical figures like King Solomon taking more than one wife, and you ignored the instruction in the New Testament stating that a man should have his own wife and a woman should have her own husband. You also ignored the fact that since the beginning God created only one wife for Adam. He never created multiple wives for him. And that is extremely important because what God does is what we should follow. We are not supposed to follow what man does. It was God who instituted and defined what marriage is since the very beginning. All you're trying to do is "change" God's definition of marriage rather than accept it.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Selene said:
The only thing you cited was biblical figures like King Solomon taking more than one wife, and you ignored the instruction in the New Testament stating that a man should have his own wife and a woman should have her own husband. You also ignored the fact that since the beginning God created only one wife for Adam. He never created multiple wives for him. And that is extremely important because what God does is what we should follow. We are not supposed to follow what man does. It was God who instituted and defined what marriage is since the very beginning. All you're trying to do is "change" God's definition of marriage rather than accept it.

I could state likewise. Actually, I will. You've ignored the fact that God never mentioned ANYTHING about condemning it in the OT, and further still, you have COMPLETELY sidestepped when I did explain the 'one' wife verses, the reason being, you are so stubborn and set in your ways, that you refuse to EVEN consider the other side of the topic.

If polygyny was a sin, then some of the GREATEST men of God who ever lived spent almost their ENTIRE life, walking and talking with God, and NEVER knowing anything about the 'erroneous' sin they were committing, yet when they so much as failed to read and carry out the ceremonial Law of Moses, they were harshly rebuked.

http://www.godrules.net/articles/polygamy.htm

An interesting article I found, for those who are genuinely interested in the Truth.