Possessed, how to tell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you experienced someone that is possessed?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The demons people need to be liberated from are only the lusts of the flesh.

Drunkenness
Addictions etc. the things that rob themselves and others of life, and bring poverty and sickness.
I would be careful in assessing that things that are addictive are evil. Water and food are addictive, so is sex with a spouse, God following can also be considered addictive, etc. I think it rather matters which master you love. With Masters and slavery it comes down to a couple verses:

Matthew 6:24

4 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Romans 6:22

But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was at a job a few summers back, the house a small single wide mobile home full of trash and debris. I was working on the a/c, next to it on the deck there was trash so much that you couldn’t get in or out of the house, inside the house was the mans daughter, wife, and about four children. I started to talk about Jesus and how he wants for us to be happy and live and encouraged our children and their children’s children to be healthy, and how in him is life and freedom from habitual sins that are passed from generations.

there was rotten meat sliding off the deck in front me. The son and law and grandfather looked at me like I had two heads, who wouldn’t want to be delivered from that? Only Jesus has the power to deliver.

Reactions: dev553344

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be humbled simply means humiliation, the following year I saw this man in public he’d cleaned up his act and informed me that the mess was cleaned up and the whole family was making efforts towards following Christ.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was at a job a few summers back, the house a small single wide mobile home full of trash and debris. I was working on the a/c, next to it on the deck there was trash so much that you couldn’t get in or out of the house, inside the house was the mans daughter, wife, and about four children. I started to talk about Jesus and how he wants for us to be happy and live and encouraged our children and their children’s children to be healthy, and how in him is life and freedom from habitual sins that are passed from generations.

there was rotten meat sliding off the deck in front me. The son and law and grandfather looked at me like I had two heads, who wouldn’t want to be delivered from that? Only Jesus has the power to deliver.
I agree, many traits of the possessed can be passed down thru the generations, practiced in youth.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He says awake and He will give light. For some reason the alleged authority wants to turn it into a circus.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be humbled simply means humiliation, the following year I saw this man in public he’d cleaned up his act and informed me that the mess was cleaned up and the whole family was making efforts towards following Christ.

I love this! This shows that even when you may not have known if your words made any difference and then finding out they did!

Reactions: lforrest

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Interesting video. Thanks. The bible calls out people that claim to cast out devils, but Jesus says "I know you not".

Matthew 7:20-23

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This is because of Jesus' prerogative to heal the sick and set free the captives. His name has power, not the person speaking it. If it pleases the Lord he may work through phonies.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this flesh?
Is this devil?

I have heard that the flesh and the devil are so akin its hard to discern between the two!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this flesh?
Is this devil?

I have heard that the flesh and the devil are so akin its hard to discern between the two!
Is that why people get possessed, cause the flesh and devil are so compatible? And this should then be a wide difference between the possessed and the mentally ill since mental illness is often malfunction brain from the body of man, which might be different than a functioning brain from the natural man.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this and added it to the OP. The difference between possessed and mentally ill people:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.” (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The article goes on further: (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

The Catechism offers further guidance on how to avoid demonic activity: anything that involves recourse to Satan or demons, or that attempts to conjure the dead or reveal future events, is to be rejected.

From CCC paragraph 2116: “Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.”

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is because of Jesus' prerogative to heal the sick and set free the captives. His name has power, not the person speaking it. If it pleases the Lord he may work through phonies.

From the article: (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

As for the exorcists themselves, it is important to remain humble and to remember that their power comes from Christ, Father de Meo added.

“Regarding spiritual preparation, humility and the conviction that we exorcists aren't the ones who are going to cast out the demon that's fighting Christ. We're called to fight on behalf of Christ.”

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read some posts on forums where people claim that mentally ill are possessed. And I thought I would clarify the behavior that a possessed person have:

A possessed person would in fact be under control of a devil. What do devil's do from a biblical perspective?

1. Tempt themselves or others whether sexually or violently.
2. Commit sin against themselves and others whether sexual or violent.
3. Claim to be deity or superior. Blaspheme.
4. Have a different personality than when not possessed.
5. Make false predictions.
6. Exalts/Empowers Satan and evil works.
7. Hating that which is good and loving that which is evil.
8. Denies the resurrection and Jesus power and deity.
9. Accuser of the brethren, judgmental against good.

I believe there are degrees of possession. A person might only be partially possessed, or moderately possessed, or entirely possessed.

Can you think of any other things that a possessed person might do?

Also it's important to distinguish between possession and mental illness. This is from a Catholic Priest with experience in the matter:

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.”" (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

Demon possession is not an easy thing to have happen. Devils cannot "just" take control of someone, they must be full sanction by the individual either through assent or through many many evil deeds. Demon possession is a fairly rare occurrence.

It occurred much in Gen. 6 when the angels left their habitation and had sex with human women and it also happened in Israel alot when Jesus walked the earth. But in between those times and now, it is a rare occurrence.

All 9 points you listed are things "normal sinners" can and do do! Unsaved people can be manipulated and used by demons without being possessed. And possession is possession, one cannot be ponly partially possessed. That contradicts the term possession.

The greatest signs of a possessed individual iare:

Unnatural abilities/strength
A real sense of clairvoyance
Fear of a believer who is confessed up to date (the Holy Spirit)
And fear/hatred of the name of Jesus. Not just dislike but an abject fear

Unless caused by physical problems or damage, nearly every single occurrence of mental illness is rooted in some form of sinful thought patterns. When one is rooted in the word, they can got through normal ups and downs but Joy and peace are hallmarks of their life.

However if one is rooted outside of the Word of God in their thoughts (which control our actions as well) then they can fall into seriously mental problems. Stress, depression, deep sorrow all produce chemical reactions that can wreak havoc on the nervous system. And left untreated can become serious mental and emotional issues.

Psychotropics are good as bridges for mental and emotional illness caused by emotional trauma and unbiblical thinking, but that is only to soothe the emotional turmoil in order to bring the person in control of the problems.

Hope this helps.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
A possessed person would in fact be under control of a devil. What do devil's do from a biblical perspective?

Possessed by what?
Spirit of Lust?

Possessed literally by demons?

A.) Different types of possession.

You are speaking of Demonic.
Demonic >possession< is real, and affects unbelievers.
The reason a Christian can't be possessed, (demons inside you) is because God lives inside you.
No demon will enter there.
What they can do, is impact your thinking with deception and fear, as the mind is the battle ground where they can distract and impact.
Where you think, is where you live, and what you think, is who you are..
Yet, this does not affect your Born again Man, as, the mind is not the Spiritual, whereas the born again part of you is Spiritually Born.
So, the Devil's power, is to own and control the unbeliever. He is in fact their Father.
The Devil runs and owns the world system.
We are to NOT be a part of this "world"., as we belong to a different Kingdom.
The Born again, have a different Father, and so, we are owned by God Almighty, Father God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, for your guys posts. I just made a comment in the OP of what devils actually do and how they temp or effect people is all. My comment of partial possession comes from experience as to being afflicted from birth into a sinful world. But certainly you don't have to agree :) Cheers.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read this and added it to the OP. The difference between possessed and mentally ill people:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.” (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

Yes it's very important to distinguish between mental illness and demons and to let a trained exorcist decide not a layman.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you mention the Name Jesus Christ you will find many people get up tight. they sure do not like to hear them words.

But as to being possessed I believe all people are mainly in some way, something possesses them or one could say has power over them ? what I am talking about here is that anyone who is not truly born again is lost. as they do not have the power to deal with such temptations, as they are blighted to such taking control over there lives, I have seen such in many things with mates, Drinking out of control then you will find a reason for such as to why they came to that point, sexual permissiveness the same thing, such always brings disaster in there life.
When I try to talk about such issues to such people they do not want to talk about such things, in the main they have problem with being totally open about the problem they are under the influence of. their ego is the huge power that they do not want one to expose such for what it truly is.

I am only talking about the average here not extreme rubbish that TV may be on about. I am just on about the average person in general that I have seen.
I have seen people on a treadmill going for it year after year hammering themselves, even rich to that rich that they could not spend all the money that they have if they tried, I could say what is it that you are trying to prove ? No one truly cares what another did when they are dead. is the possessed thinking how others think of them ? in the way they want to be remembered ? look at me a winner ! in there own eyes. or oh XYZ is my Idol ! Anyone who idolises someone is a fool. I have seen such rubbish. when they do not know the person truly at all:confused::eek:.
One bloke I know is always about Rod Stewart, well ok fine, but ok such is going way over the top with him and you see people like so with football players and such.
Idolising people is just pathetic.
I like Ty Cobb for some reasons but I know that he was a A Hole as a person, I like what he accomplished that is impressive.
I could even have admiration for Nazi Germany in some way, as to what they achieved that is astounding feat that no Nation could hold a candle too in the History of the world, they made every Nation truly look like backward 3rd rate idiots. they were so advanced in everything. the real problem was in Hitler was Rothschild's piss boy ect, just as it is nowadays with the whole world under the thumb of a hand full of men who really truly control the whole world and they have not been exposed, because they own the media and all the political Party's top men have been picked by them to play the Game, if not they are killed.
So we are all under the delusions that have been cast before us, by such stealth and cunning, they work well to turn people against themselves and sit back pissing themselves laughing at us. proclaiming mans little ape can't help himself as they are much like Goats.