Possessed, how to tell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you experienced someone that is possessed?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read some posts on forums where people claim that mentally ill are possessed. And I thought I would clarify the behavior that a possessed person have:

A possessed person would in fact be under control of a devil. What do devil's do from a biblical perspective?

1. Tempt themselves or others whether sexually or violently.
2. Commit sin against themselves and others whether sexual or violent.
3. Claim to be deity or superior. Blaspheme.
4. Have a different personality than when not possessed.
5. Deceives, Make false predictions.
6. Exalts/Empowers Satan and evil works.
7. Hating that which is good and loving that which is evil.
8. Denies the resurrection and Jesus power and deity.
9. Accuser of the brethren, judgmental against good.

I believe there are degrees of possession. A person might only be partially possessed, or moderately possessed, or entirely possessed.

Can you think of any other things that a possessed person might do?

Also it's important to distinguish between possession and mental illness. This is from a Catholic Priest with experience in the matter:

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.”" (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read some posts on forums where people claim that mentally ill are possessed. And I thought I would clarify the behavior that a possessed person have:

A possessed person would in fact be under control of a devil. What do devil's do from a biblical perspective?

1. Tempt themselves or others whether sexually or violently.
2. Commit sin against themselves and others whether sexual or violent.
3. Claim to be deity or superior. Blaspheme.
4. Have a different personality than when not possessed.
5. Make false predictions.
6. Exalts/Empowers Satan and evil works.
7. Hating that which is good and loving that which is evil.
8. Denies the resurrection and Jesus power and deity.

Can you think of any other things that a possessed person might do?
Vote Biden?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting video. Thanks. The bible calls out people that claim to cast out devils, but Jesus says "I know you not".

Matthew 7:20-23

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not really.
Matthew 17:18-21

18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”

20 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So hear this and understand,
2 Corinthians 11:14 KJV
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Try to understand, Satan is the clown standing in front of you saying I have light.

I had to read the surrounding text to understand your position, but now I see what you're saying:

2 Corinthians 11:12-14

12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to read the surrounding text to understand your position, but now I see what you're saying:

2 Corinthians 11:12-14

12 And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.
You see it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s all a show to gain some position of authority, when Jesus has already stated its all His. These people need something to do with their spare time.
They probably have a lot to gain by faking it. Money and power. But I didn't see any fasting and prayer in the videos.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They probably have a lot to gain by faking it. Money and power. But I didn't see any fasting and prayer in the videos.
That’s because the focus isn’t on Jesus, it’s on the angel of light. Truly sad in fact in all of these videos the actors should be humbling themselves in service to hearers.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The demons people need to be liberated from are only the lusts of the flesh.

Drunkenness
Addictions etc. the things that rob themselves and others of life, and bring poverty and sickness.