Possessed, how to tell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you experienced someone that is possessed?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
LOL, yes I didn't think of that, thanks for bringing that up.
Mental illness
This has devistated my family.
In summary emotional trauma descends on a person. They look for causes, invent some to rationalise their world which makes it worse descending into pain and self harm.
Nothing you say or do shakes the context the person is gripped by. Drugs calm the emotions and the delusions, so normal life can continue.

We are all vulnerable, because we are emotional beings. Protecting our fragility is paramount and the road to recovery. Learning emotional self awareness and triggering good responses is key. Peace in Christ is our cornerstone. God bless you

Reactions: dev553344

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've read some posts on forums where people claim that mentally ill are possessed. And I thought I would clarify the behavior that a possessed person have:

A possessed person would in fact be under control of a devil. What do devil's do from a biblical perspective?

1. Tempt themselves or others whether sexually or violently.
2. Commit sin against themselves and others whether sexual or violent.
3. Claim to be deity or superior. Blaspheme.
4. Have a different personality than when not possessed.
5. Make false predictions.
6. Exalts/Empowers Satan and evil works.
7. Hating that which is good and loving that which is evil.
8. Denies the resurrection and Jesus power and deity.
9. Accuser of the brethren, judgmental against good.

I believe there are degrees of possession. A person might only be partially possessed, or moderately possessed, or entirely possessed.

Can you think of any other things that a possessed person might do?

Also it's important to distinguish between possession and mental illness. This is from a Catholic Priest with experience in the matter:

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.”" (How can you tell if someone is demon-possessed?)
And lies !

Reactions: dev553344