Power Outages Across the US/Winter Storm - Please pray people stay warm!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Highest peak demand of electricity is after normal working hours when everyone goes home and turns on the thermostat. Otherwise the amount of electricity used is well within the system's capabilities.
Believe it or not...all those industries and office buildings are more efficient to heat and cool than all the homes of the people who work inside of them. (including the schools of their children)

so with everyone in quarantine and out of work...the demand is extra high to begin with.
Then because of the snow and ice...the industries had to shut down in case of an emergency. Not because of the demand of electricity and gas...that's a crock of baloney. Its actually because if their was an accident of some sort the emergency crews can't get through the streets to come put out the fire...and the parking lots are usually very slow about getting emptied out or filling up...creating an even worse disaster.

People going to work would actually relieve the system of the stress it is currently under.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Highest peak demand of electricity is after normal working hours when everyone goes home and turns on the thermostat. Otherwise the amount of electricity used is well within the system's capabilities.
Believe it or not...all those industries and office buildings are more efficient to heat and cool than all the homes of the people who work inside of them. (including the schools of their children)

so with everyone in quarantine and out of work...the demand is extra high to begin with.
Then because of the snow and ice...the industries had to shut down in case of an emergency. Not because of the demand of electricity and gas...that's a crock of baloney. Its actually because if their was an accident of some sort the emergency crews can't get through the streets to come put out the fire...and the parking lots are usually very slow about getting emptied out or filling up...creating an even worse disaster.

People going to work would actually relieve the system of the stress it is currently under.
After watching a news clip of TX today, I don't blame them .. I'll post that link here if anyone wants to see it. (I'm not there but I've been watching around.)

At about 20 seconds in, it shows the pipes bursting and water pouring out of the apartment (?) balconies. Can't imagine what that will do to the streets. Especially since this picture in Texas ... Looks like Russia. When do we get to start driving with our pet bears in the front seat?

602c1ae88a141.image.jpg

Credit: (AP Photo/LM Otero)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're snowed in in Washington State. Looks like it might actually go up to 16 inches here. Probably 12 inches or so. Power outages everywhere.

We're fine. Power just came back on so I'm preparing ahead of time in case it happens again with a soup in the instant pot (will stay warm for hours if the power goes out) and starting up an extra loaf of bread just to be safe. I have a little hand crank solar, emergency radio/flashlight/phone charger thing and backup flashlights. Bathtub is full of water. It stayed plenty warm inside this morning. My little flip phone charges quickly with the little generator - and has internet. (OOooOOOo :p)

Other people probably not doing so well so please keep them in prayer! It's cold out there and so please pray that shelters are able to take in more than enough and that family's have enough food and stay warm, and for protection on the roads. Warnings about possible flooding in some areas.
I'm late to the prayer, but yeah East of the mountains needs our prayers, especially Texas I agree. I've been watching for a few days and it's not been good for them.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm late to the prayer, but yeah East of the mountains needs our prayers, especially Texas I agree. I've been watching for a few days and it's not been good for them.
The good news is your cute little Yoda is keeping warm with a hot drink (is it?) at least

I like the Yoda!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The good news is your cute little Yoda is keeping warm with a hot drink (is it?) at least

I like the Yoda!
Thanks! Yeah I live in Washington and we got 9 inches, I'm getting warm soup for dinner :cool:. It's almost melted now. Then I can do yard chores again. I can't imagine having my water and power off.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a couple pics of our weather:
149850503_1083666438776920_2515514853228222966_n.jpg

150185887_1082896318853932_4772898482920153829_o.jpg

WOW. Are you talking WA state or DC? I am seeing real trees, so I'm guessing state. If so you must be way up north. Down here in eastern WA, it's all gone by now!

Lights were still all doing the flicker-flicker while I was getting my meatloaf in. It was getting my eye all twitchy and I was thinking how it better not be becoming between me and my tomato gravy meatloaf after I just spent 30 minutes on just the gravy

Soup is the best idea ever.. Especially if you can cover it up if the lights go out and trust it to make it through a couple more hours. BRR

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW. Are you talking WA state or DC? I am seeing real trees, so I'm guessing state. If so you must be way up north. Down here in eastern WA, it's all gone by now!

Lights were still all doing the flicker-flicker while I was getting my meatloaf in. It was getting my eye all twitchy and I was thinking how it better not be becoming between me and my tomato gravy meatloaf after I just spent 30 minutes on just the gravy

Soup is the best idea ever.. Especially if you can cover it up if the lights go out and trust it to make it through a couple more hours. BRR

Yeah that sounds like the meatloaf is work, power better not go out. I live in the pacific northwest north of Seattle. I went to rehab some 25 years ago in Spokane WA. I had a lot of fun over there with people from rehab I became friends with. It snowed while I was there :cool:

The soup was inspiration from your OP (I think that's where I got the idea), but it's just Pork Ramen. I was outside today and when you mentioned it it really sounded like the choice to make for dinner.

But my little Yoda drinks coffee, dark roast :D

Edit: yeah the snow is almost gone here!

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We got another 3 inches of snow last night on top of the ice storm we already had...

The streets are a mess...I'm looking at a car stuck in the middle of the intersection. (Side street) it's going nowhere.

I'm supposed to go to the doctor this morning and get silicone injection in my knee... that ain't gonna happen. Huge overpass on ramp and interstate is a sheet of ice. I could probably make it in my truck but that doesn't stop the idiots out there. So I'll postpone the appointment.

I cleaned up the truck yesterday... unburying it from all the ice...it's buried again in snow this morning. After a while I'll go dig it out...first I gotta reverse some positions in my portfolio and try and recover some money.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My neighbor told us my car is on the front page of the newspaper with 12 inches of snow on it. Ill have to see if anyone saved the newspaper since I don't get it. Lol
Didn't see your post yesterday.. Changed the notification settings and now I'm missing a lot. I will switch them back soon. That would be a keeper if you could find it!

How are you doing now? You all safe?

Reactions: Eternally Grateful