Prayer and Worship Practice of the Early Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer and Worship Practice of the Early Church
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This topic previously titled: Contemplative Practice

Previous topic not currently available. (sigh)
Let's continue the discussion here until the previous one is unlocked.

Practice​

Contemplative practices facilitate and deepen our relationship with God. The more we practice and allow the transformation process to happen, the more we are able to experience the Indwelling Presence in everything we do. Contemplative practices give us the eyes to see and the ears to hear God calling us to the banquet that is our lives, as they are. This method of prayer is both a relationship with God and a discipline to deepen that relationship.

Centering Prayer​

Centering Prayer is a receptive method of Christian silent prayer which deepens our relationship with God, the Indwelling Presence … a prayer in which we can experience God’s presence within us, closer than breathing, closer than thinking, closer than consciousness itself.

Lectio Divina​

Lectio Divina, literally meaning “divine reading,” is an ancient practice of praying the Scriptures. During Lectio Divina, the practitioner listens to the text of the Bible with the “ear of the heart,” as if he or she is in conversation with God, and God is suggesting the topics for discussion.

Welcoming Prayer​

The Welcoming Prayer is a method of consenting to God’s presence and action in our physical and emotional reactions to events and situations in daily life. The purpose of the Welcoming Prayer is to deepen our relationship with God through consenting in the ordinary activities of our day — “consent-on-the-go.”

The Active Prayer Practice​

The active prayer—an aspiration drawn from Scripture for us in daily life — is short, usually six to twelve syllables. The saying of the syllables is synchronized with one’s heartbeat. While some people like to use a variety of aspirations for this purpose, it is easier to work a single aspiration into the subconscious. The great advantage of this practice is that it eventually becomes a “tape” similar to the “tapes” that accompany one’s upsetting emotions. When this occurs, the aspiration has the remarkable effect of erasing the old tapes, thus providing a neutral zone in which common sense or the Spirit of God can suggest what should be done.

The active prayer has to be repeated again and again at free moments in order to work it into the subconscious. The old tapes were built up through repeated acts. A new tape can be established in the same way. It may take a year to establish one’s active prayer in the subconscious. It will then arise spontaneously. One may wake up saying it or it may accompany one’s dreams.

Go about this practice without anxiety, haste, or excessive effort. Do not blame yourself for forgetting to say it on some days; just start up again. It should not be repeated when your mind is occupied with other things such as conversation, study, or work requiring concentration.

Source

/ cc: @O'Darby @Pathfinder7 @Chadrho @amadeus @Episkopos @Mr E @RedFan

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While re-reading the OP this scripture came to memory.
"you will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is stayed on thee"
I typed it out to search for the reference.
Looks like my memory crossed a few translation versions.

Let's discuss.

Isaiah 26:3 KJV
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Isaiah 26:3 NIV
You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.

/

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Previous topic not currently available. (sigh)
Let's continue the discussion here until the previous one is unlocked.

Practice​

Contemplative practices facilitate and deepen our relationship with God. The more we practice and allow the transformation process to happen, the more we are able to experience the Indwelling Presence in everything we do. Contemplative practices give us the eyes to see and the ears to hear God calling us to the banquet that is our lives, as they are. This method of prayer is both a relationship with God and a discipline to deepen that relationship.

Centering Prayer​

Centering Prayer is a receptive method of Christian silent prayer which deepens our relationship with God, the Indwelling Presence … a prayer in which we can experience God’s presence within us, closer than breathing, closer than thinking, closer than consciousness itself.

Lectio Divina​

Lectio Divina, literally meaning “divine reading,” is an ancient practice of praying the Scriptures. During Lectio Divina, the practitioner listens to the text of the Bible with the “ear of the heart,” as if he or she is in conversation with God, and God is suggesting the topics for discussion.

Welcoming Prayer​

The Welcoming Prayer is a method of consenting to God’s presence and action in our physical and emotional reactions to events and situations in daily life. The purpose of the Welcoming Prayer is to deepen our relationship with God through consenting in the ordinary activities of our day — “consent-on-the-go.”

The Active Prayer Practice​

The active prayer—an aspiration drawn from Scripture for us in daily life — is short, usually six to twelve syllables. The saying of the syllables is synchronized with one’s heartbeat. While some people like to use a variety of aspirations for this purpose, it is easier to work a single aspiration into the subconscious. The great advantage of this practice is that it eventually becomes a “tape” similar to the “tapes” that accompany one’s upsetting emotions. When this occurs, the aspiration has the remarkable effect of erasing the old tapes, thus providing a neutral zone in which common sense or the Spirit of God can suggest what should be done.

The active prayer has to be repeated again and again at free moments in order to work it into the subconscious. The old tapes were built up through repeated acts. A new tape can be established in the same way. It may take a year to establish one’s active prayer in the subconscious. It will then arise spontaneously. One may wake up saying it or it may accompany one’s dreams.

Go about this practice without anxiety, haste, or excessive effort. Do not blame yourself for forgetting to say it on some days; just start up again. It should not be repeated when your mind is occupied with other things such as conversation, study, or work requiring concentration.

Source

/ cc: @O'Darby @Pathfinder7 @Chadrho @amadeus @Episkopos @Mr E @RedFan
All pagan practices brought in by the church of Rome. They have spread this lie, 'spiritual formation' but it's just the Devils old rehashed lies.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All pagan practices brought in by the church of Rome. They have spread this lie, 'spiritual formation' but it's just the Devils old rehashed lies.
You are welcome to your own opinion.
What do you do personally to experience and enjoy God's presence in your life?

Did you read post #2 ?
Is your mind stayed on Him?
How is that accomplished?
Might there be many ways to do that?

/

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

The active prayer—an aspiration drawn from Scripture for us in daily life — is short, usually six to twelve syllables. The saying of the syllables is synchronized with one’s heartbeat.

You know..

we are still waiting for you to write one Thread that gives Love to God, praise to Jesus, and recognizes the Bible as the word of God and the final authority.

You know, ...............= something that suggests that you understand anything at all about real Christianity.

I guess we'll just have to keep waiting while you keep cut and pasting.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did you read post #2 ?

/
Let me share some of what I do that I noticed God engaging me with the Holy Spirit while doing:

Baptism & Sacrament
Obeying the Commandments
Praying
Reading Scriptures
Attending a Church
Serving Others in Charity
Proclaiming the Gospel
Etc...

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All worship, prayer, contemplation and communion is for our benefit, not God's. It deepens an awareness of and relationship with God.

I don't think it's necessary or helpful to get hung up on form or specifics. "Now I'm doing petitionary prayer, tomorrow it's prayer of thanksgiving, next Tuesday will be silent communion." We do what we are moved to do.

I do think spiritual evolution and maturity have much to do with it. Younger and fundie-type Christians seem to focus on petitionary prayer - prayers for "things" and "happenings." Help me pass that test, help me get that job, help my financial situation, cure Aunt Sally's diabetes. Then when we pass the test, we can "Praise God!" and strut our spirituality.

Petitionary prayer has it's place, primarily in prayers for others. I found that I evolved to almost nothing but prayers of gratitude - often for simply being allowed to exist and be part of the creation. I realized that this is what Paul meant by praying constantly - the attitude of gratitude toward God can be maintained pretty much throughout the day.

I didn't start contemplative prayer or communion because I read The Cloud of Unknowing. I had read it at least 20 years earlier. I simply evolved to this type of practice because it was deeper and more meaningful to me. Repeating the same prayers of gratitude, sincere as they may be, started to seem a little formulaic. Shutting up and listening to God is never formulaic.

Did you read post #2 ?

/
Hey, @St. SteVen, @Hobie thinks you left "hating the church of Rome" off the list of contemplative practices! :)
You know..

we are still waiting for you to write one Thread that gives Love to God, praise to Jesus, and recognizes the Bible as the word of God and the final authority.

You know, ...............= something that suggests that you understand anything at all about real Christianity.

But we already have so many of those threads by "real" Christians that it becomes rather tedious, don't you think? Actually, those of us who start and participate on these threads mostly do it just to give "real" Christians with names like @TooHoly4Words an opportunity to weigh in and remind others what "real" Christianity looks like. I guess we could add "Love to God! Praise to Jesus! Read your Bible!" at the bottom of every post - would that help?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me share some of what I do that I noticed God engaging me with the Holy Spirit while doing:

Baptism & Sacrament
Obeying the Commandments
Praying
Reading Scriptures
Attending a Church
Serving Others in Charity
Proclaiming the Gospel
Etc...
That's excellent, thanks.
All those things are very good.

I understand that new ideas should be approached with caution.
But let's not throw out the Christ child with the bath water. - LOL

I should share with you specifically that I began my contemplative practice
at the encouragement of a pastor friend as a remedy for my anxious racing thoughts of worry.

The breath prayer that I wrote for my purpose required all my attention to perform and
therefore cleared my mind of all my anxious racing thoughts of worry.

The prayer was recited silently and metered with my breathing.
Very relaxing.

Behold the Lamb of God, (inhale)
who takes away the sin of the world. (exhale) repeat

I chose a verse that reflects my views on UR.

/

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's excellent, thanks.
All those things are very good.

I understand that new ideas should be approached with caution.
But let's not throw out the Christ child with the bath water. - LOL

I should share with you specifically that I began my contemplative practice
at the encouragement of a pastor friend as a remedy for my anxious racing thoughts of worry.

The breath prayer that I wrote for my purpose required all my attention to perform and
therefore cleared my mind of all my anxious racing thoughts of worry.

The prayer was recited silently and metered with my breathing.
Very relaxing.

Behold the Lamb of God, (inhale)
who takes away the sin of the world. (exhale) repeat

I chose a verse that reflects my views on UR.

/
I have, in the past, fasted and prayed for 3 days at a time in order to be part of healings in a church I was involved with. And the prayer, which lasted 3 days, turns into sort of a meditating on God. And that worked out well and OK and I felt much more spiritual as a result of doing that.

I also, at the advice of counselors and the AA program, tried meditation. And when it is not directed at God it is dangerous to the psychi. That is what I found. Eastern religion is like that I think.

I think in prayer towards God that is going to last for extended amounts of time, it becomes important for the person to know how to recognize God's spirit from Satan's. Because Satan is like 1/3 of the spirits of heaven and is everywhere down here. So I always like to post a little bit on recognition. Knowing that anything denying Christ's life is the antichrist:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think in prayer towards God that is going to last for extended amounts of time, it becomes important for the person to know how to recognize God's spirit from Satan's.
Excellent post.
Do you have any advice for readers on how to discern God's spirit from Satan's.
I think you already told us, but I didn't want readers to miss it. Thanks.

/

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent post.
Do you have any advice for readers on how to discern God's spirit from Satan's.
I think you already told us, but I didn't want readers to miss it. Thanks.

/
Satan tends to be a bully with me and attempt to put a spirit of fear so that I am afraid not to take his counsel. Or he hits me with counsel that I have trouble discerning. While the Lord comes with peace and love and I enjoy every second of his embrace. I don't think God always talks to us with love and peace of the spirit so it is important to know the true gospel and how God works so that we are better able to discern between God and Satan. And all of that can be found in the bible when we read it with the purest heart we can.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of New Age-type practices are in the vein of "Opening myself to the Universe" or "Opening myself to the Infinite." This kind of unfocused opening of oneself to the Great Whatever does open the door to any and all spiritual forces, which may well include malevolent or mischievous ones. It's basically the contemplative equivalent of fooling around with a Ouija board, which is likewise dangerous. You are extending an open invitation and have no control over what comes through the door.

The meditative and contemplative practices of the Eastern religions are, of course, in the context of those religions. Each has its own notions of what the Divine is all about. I don't think these practices are evil or Satanic "just because" they are Buddhist or Hindu. I don't think they inevitably open the practitioner to malevolent or mischievous forces, but they may. As I said on the other thread, Zen practitioners are warned to ignore any and all visions as maya (illusion) because that's the nature of Buddhist belief.

But anyway, it's difficult for me to believe that a Christian who prayerfully and sincerely enters into contemplation of or communion with the God of Christianity has to be concerned with malevolent spirits. In fact, to worry about this strikes me as the sort of fundie paranoia that sees a demon under every rock. If I can't be confident of God's presence and protection in the context of God-centered contemplation and communion, then I would have to question whether there is any reality to Christianity at all.

This was one of my initial thoughts when the Near Death Experience phenomenon first became widely known and the knee-jerk fundie reaction was "It's all demonic!!!" If people in a genuinely catastrophic near-death state have to be concerned that their blissful and often transformative experiences were actually the product of demonic deception, then the God who allows that isn't worth my time.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lots of New Age-type practices are in the vein of "Opening myself to the Universe" or "Opening myself to the Infinite." This kind of unfocused opening of oneself to the Great Whatever does open the door to any and all spiritual forces, which may well include malevolent or mischievous ones. It's basically the contemplative equivalent of fooling around with a Ouija board, which is likewise dangerous. You are extending an open invitation and have no control over what comes through the door.

The meditative and contemplative practices of the Eastern religions are, of course, in the context of those religions. Each has its own notions of what the Divine is all about. I don't think these practices are evil or Satanic "just because" they are Buddhist or Hindu. I don't think they inevitably open the practitioner to malevolent or mischievous forces, but they may. As I said on the other thread, Zen practitioners are warned to ignore any and all visions as maya (illusion) because that's the nature of Buddhist belief.

But anyway, it's difficult for me to believe that a Christian who prayerfully and sincerely enters into contemplation of or communion with the God of Christianity has to be concerned with malevolent spirits. In fact, to worry about this strikes me as the sort of fundie paranoia that sees a demon under every rock. If I can't be confident of God's presence and protection in the context of God-centered contemplation and communion, then I would have to question whether there is any reality to Christianity at all.

This was one of my initial thoughts when the Near Death Experience phenomenon first became widely known and the knee-jerk fundie reaction was "It's all demonic!!!" If people in a genuinely catastrophic near-death state have to be concerned that their blissful and often transformative experiences were actually the product of demonic deception, then the God who allows that isn't worth my time.
The bible disagrees with you. It spells out the following to warn people accepting the ideas you just set forth:

1 John 4:4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible disagrees with you. It spells out the following to warn people accepting the ideas you just set forth:

1 John 4:4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
You'll have to flesh out what part of what I said "the Bible disagrees with."

You do realize that John was speaking in opposition to Docetism, which insisted that Jesus' human form was an illusion, and to some extent in opposition to Gnosticism. In Docetism, Jesus was not actually "in the flesh." John is speaking about actual human teachers of Docetism and Gnosticism. I don't know that the passages you cite can be read as broadly as you want to read them - but even if they can, I'm not following your point. If you're talking about NDEs, most of the folks in a near-death state are hardly in a position to be "testing the spirits." I personally haven't encountered ANY spirit in ANY context, so I haven't felt compelled to do any testing. Those who routinely fear encountering evil spirits, or say they do encounter them, give me pause about their mental health. A Christian should not have these fears except in extraordinary circumstances.

Last edited:

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know..

Clearly you haven't thought much or deeply about what he's written. Try again, though, in a prayerful way?

Strictly speaking, the Bible is not the Word of God. Strictly speaking, the Word of God is not a book. It is Somebody, namely Jesus Christ. See the beginning of the Gospel of John. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." He's speaking of Jesus here, not a book.

The Bible is one of the two main "transmissions" of the Word of God. And NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that the Bible is the final authority. Jesus didn't give His authority to a book, which wasn't compiled until the late 4th century. Jesus founded a (ONE) Church, and gave it His authority to teach, preach, and sanctify. Of course, if you knew what the Bible really said, and the history of Christianity, there would be no doubt about this.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Clearly you haven't thought much or deeply about what he's written. Try again, though, in a prayerful way?

Clearly you posted something that isn't related to reality.

Here is an errand for you, Mr Cult of Mary, person.

Go and read the Titles of His last 30 Threads.. and you will see for yourself that what i told you, is true.

And you dont need to pray about that... you just need to do it.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Strictly speaking, the Bible is not the Word of God. Strictly speaking, the Word of God is not a book. It is Somebody, namely Jesus Christ. See the beginning of the Gospel of John. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." He's speaking of Jesus here, not a book.

The Bible is one of the two main "transmissions" of the Word of God. And NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that the Bible is the final authority. Jesus didn't give His authority to a book, which wasn't compiled until the late 4th century. Jesus founded a (ONE) Church, and gave it His authority to teach, preach, and sanctify. Of course, if you knew what the Bible really said, and the history of Christianity, there would be no doubt about this.
I think "word" is a loaded word, with different shades of meaning. I'm pretty sure @Behold uses it in a different sense than John's prologue uses it.

Reactions: O'Darby

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Strictly speaking, the Bible is not the Word of God.

Jesus is the Word who "was God" in John 1.
If you read John 1:10, it says that JESUS created the World.
Genesis said that God SPOKE Creation, into reality, and Jesus is the WORD..

See that?
This is why Colossians 1:16 confirms .. John 1:10 that proves that "the Word made Flesh" who "dwelt among us", is indeed .. John 1. "the Word was God".

So, when we think of Jesus as The Word, and the Bible as the "word of God" then its identical, regarding the spiritual aspect.

This is why the BIBLE told YOU that the "word of God,'"" .... .is

Here.. @Augustin56

A.)_ “Your word, LORD, is eternal; it (the word, the bible) stands firm in the heavens” (Psalm 119:89).
“The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever” (Isaiah 40:8).
“I the Lord do not change” (Malachi 3:6). “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Matthew 24:35).

Now, the reason that the "cult of Mary" didnt allow their member to read the bible, .. did not "approve of bible study" until 1961, is why Catholics till this very day, have BIG issues with believing the word of God, and instead always run to "church fathers", as these are their "bible", and not the word of God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan tends to be a bully with me and attempt to put a spirit of fear so that I am afraid not to take his counsel. Or he hits me with counsel that I have trouble discerning. While the Lord comes with peace and love and I enjoy every second of his embrace. I don't think God always talks to us with love and peace of the spirit so it is important to know the true gospel and how God works so that we are better able to discern between God and Satan. And all of that can be found in the bible when we read it with the purest heart we can.
That's great advice, thanks.
Here's my rule of thumb.

If that voice is trying to steal, kill, or destroy; it's the enemy.
If it is strengthening, encouraging and comforting, it's God.

John 10:10 NIV
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

1 Corinthians 14:3 NIV
But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their
strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

/