Present-Day "Dreams And Visions"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
still eating palm oil and canola oil? WTH is a canola anyway? trust me, it aint rapeseed oil any more; it is crap. pure poison. corn oil is worse, and "vegetable oil" is comedy, and the joke is on you. Its "hydrogenated," right, do you know what that means?

my mom can do cartwheels again now ok, and you can too

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of course I am sympathetic to his plate; but imagine what kind of behavior it would ta

ill see if i can find it, hang on
arg, that was ridic painful lol
“...for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”

I could give her an explanation of that passage, only I'm not sure that's what she's looking for especially. I think she just wanted encouragement in her weakness is all. The verse is rightly translated, "My strength is being made manifest in weakness," and has to do with God being able to show Himself strongest through those who are "weak" by human standards; the uneducated and unlearned for instance, or in Paul's case, those beaten down time and time again by floggers, and who should have died a dozen times over from snakes, shipwrecks, attacks, persecution, etc, and yet he continued to operate in ministry through the supernatural empowerment of God.

That last part might do her some good. I dunno.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I could give her an explanation of that passage, only I'm not sure that's what she's looking for especially. I think she just wanted encouragement in her weakness is all. The verse is rightly translated, "My strength is being made manifest in weakness," and has to do with God being able to show Himself strongest through those who are "weak" by human standards; the uneducated and unlearned for instance, or in Paul's case, those beaten down time and time again by floggers, and who should have died a dozen times over from snakes, shipwrecks, attacks, persecution, etc, and yet he continued to operate in ministry through the supernatural empowerment of God.

That last part might do her some good. I dunno.
i had more in mind her and my interactions, and maybe your impression of those
@Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK there's like a brain club site you can go to that gives you puzzles to keep your mind sharp? Also YouTube has senior yoga, All kind of stuff you can do Helen. Coconut oil! Yoga will increase blood flow, that helps, plus what is your chief source of Omega 3, the vital oil that has surely,been entirely stripped from your diet? How you getting vitamin D, which acts like a hormone in your body? I don't even plan on having kids until I'm your age OK? lol
in between bodybuilding contests that is :)

how often do you say "I am getting old?"
My wife and I don't do it with diet, but with a couple of mind flexing games. No matter what else is happening, once a day, we stop to play a card game which requires us to work with numbers. In the first round, it is easy but by the 13th and final round it has become very difficult/complex. No electronic device engaged, only our minds.

The other game which we also play once every day is an old one, scrabble, which deals with words and also causes us to engage our minds.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him The following may help, but it also may be controversial or unbelievable by some, perhaps even including yourself. I do believe it could relate to your OP.

Consider that first the prophet, Samuel, anoints Saul as king:

"Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?" I Sam 10:1

As Saul was departing from Samuel after that initial anointing, we see the fulfillment in him of things prophesied by Samuel and we see this:

"And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.
And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them." I Sam 10:9-10

What had happened to the young man, Saul? God gave him another heart and Saul prophesied!

But then later after Saul had gone his own way instead of God's Way one time too many we see Samuel anointing the young man, David:

"Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
But the spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him." I Sam 16:13-14

At the advice of his servants Saul had a man brought to him whose soothing music calmed him... the man was the shepherd boy, David, who like Saul has also received the Lord's anointing through the prophet, Samuel. David was blessed while Saul continued frequently to be visited by an very troubling evil spirit. Then Saul was clearly rejected by God as His anointed king:

"And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons." I Sam 16:1

Saul became jealous of David's blessings and popularity with the people and sought to kill him. But then see here what happened:

"And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied.
And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.
Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah.
And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.
And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?" I Sam 19:20-24

Saul had clearly been rejected by God and yet when he came himself to lay hands on God's new anointed... he prophesied?

Was this a prophesying from God even as the evil spirit that troubled him was God? I believe there is connection between this story of King Saul and your OP. You speak of doubt about the source of some dreams of believers being from God.

But what does the scripture say was the origin of the evil spirit that troubled Saul?

When Saul was going to lay evil hands on the new anointed one, David, who was it that made Saul prophesy? In considering this remember if you will that there a left hand of God as well as a right hand, both hands being God's hands. When Saul was first anointed by Samuel as when David was anointed by Samuel it would have been the right hand of God, certainly. When the anointed King Saul began acting like a goat...?

Of course this may not mean a dreamer, whose dream seems not to be of the right hand God, is personally error, but it could be that message, or part of the message, of the dream may require a different interpretation in consideration of the purpose of God's left hand.

I believe that any believer, who in a given moment, quenches the Spirit of God in himself in favor of his own spirit, may in that moment be used to accomplish the curses of God, which also are part of His Word, are they not?

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
My wife and I don't do it with diet, but with a couple of mind flexing games. No matter what else is happening, once a day, we stop to play a card game which requires us to work with numbers. In the first round, it is easy but by the 13th and final round it has become very difficult/complex. No electronic device engaged, only our minds.

The other game which we also play once every day is an old one, scrabble, which deals with words and also causes us to engage our minds.
hmm, i fancied myself as a cardmaster at one time, dealt poker etc; tryna think of a 13 round card game! which?
Love Scrabble, it's like the only game i have little chance at lol--ok that and monopoly, never won a game in my life--but anyway, there's a new tile game called Quirkle, i think i spelled that right, its a big hoot. We played the travel one, cant imagine the board one being any more fun though

as to diet, lol dont get me started, i cannot say enough bad things about the SAD ok; diet is a major front in the war to reduce population imo. You are a cell factory, basically, and your body wants Omega 3 and cholesterol to produce healthy, permeable cell walls. And omega 3 goes rancid very quickly, which is why it is absent from all of our shelf-stable "food."

That and vit D supplementing--to remedy your guaranteed, i know this for a fact, will bet you any amount you care to lose, rampant, chronic deficiency; for your locale--alone will manifest amazing improvements in even an 80 year old in about six months, with significant improvements in 30-60 days. Eschew fish oil, go for plant based. Quinoa and chia are pretty cheap ok. Dave's Killer Bread is pretty convenient. So imo there just is no excuse a

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
cartwheels ok.

5 years ago she was busy breaking hips and knees and stuff, and talking about how old she was getting. Elders have a special responsibility imo, bc they can get away with stuff that someone even my age cannot. When an otherwise rational older person flips out ppl listen

no reason you cant put a spike in the erets in a year, and get a wikiwand page of your own!
you wanna live forever or not?
Kaepernick is a god now, homie is showing you guys up lol
if you're a raging patriot, then do it like a patriot, no one will care
well no one that matters anyway

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm, i fancied myself as a cardmaster at one time, dealt poker etc; tryna think of a 13 round card game! which?
Love Scrabble, it's like the only game i have little chance at lol--ok that and monopoly, never win a game in my life--but anyway, there's a new tile game called Quirkle, i think i spelled that right, its a big hoot. We played the travel one, cant imagine the board one being any more fun though
I misspoke in saying it had 13 rounds. Actually it only has 11 rounds.

We had for a long time been playing Phase 10, a somewhat older game, but it had become almost routine with little challenge left for us. We went looking and found this new game [to us new!] called Five Crowns. It is similar in some ways to Phase 10 [but I won't explain Phase 10 here]. Instead of 4 suits, it has 5 [stars are added to the traditional 4] and it has cards ranging in those 5 suits from 3 to 10 and then continuing up with Jacks, Queens and Kings. In each of the 11 rounds in addition to wild Jokers in the double deck, one other card is wild. The other wild card is equal to the numbers of card dealt to each player in each round. In the first round three cards are dealt and 3's are wild. In the second round each player received 4 card and 4's are wild. This continues to increase in each round until in the last round Kings are wild. The winner is the one with the lowest score.

As a player's hand get fuller each round the larger number of cards and the continuously changing wild cards really makes the last few rounds quite difficult. We have only had it about week and it has completely replaced Phase 10 for us. We are both getting better at it. It combines chance with skill. My wife and I usually are pretty well evenly matched in our games so we enjoy them, the scrabble on the one hand and now Five Crowns on the other.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

We had for a long time been playing Phase 10, a somewhat older game, but it had become almost routine with little challenge left for us. We went looking and found this new game [to us new!] called Five Crowns. It is similar in some ways to Phase 10 [but I won't explain Phase 10 here]. Instead of 4 suits, it has 5 [stars are added to the traditional 4] and it has cards ranging in those 5 suits from 3 to 10 and then continuing up with Jacks, Queens and Kings. In each of the 11 rounds in addition to wild Jokers in the double deck, one other card is wild. The other wild card is equal to the numbers of card dealt to each player in each round. In the first round three cards are dealt and 3's are wild. In the second round each player received 4 card and 4's are wild. This continues to increase in each round until in the last round Kings are wild. The winner is the one with the lowest score.

As a player's hand get fuller each round the larger number of cards and the continuously changing wild cards really makes the last few rounds quite difficult. We have only had it about week and it has completely replaced Phase 10 for us. We are both getting better at it. It combines chance with skill. My wife and I usually are pretty well evenly matched in our games so we enjoy them, the scrabble on the one hand and now Five Crowns on the other.
ha! wheredya get decks w/5 suits?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha! wheredya get decks w/5 suits?
Well that is the way the game comes... but I presume the double deck is easy enough. Simply remove the 1's and the 2's. It would change the game some, but I suspect it would still work. We found the game at a Target store in Oklahoma City. No Targets closer to home, but it may be available elsewhere.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen
B

brakelite

i had more in mind her and my interactions, and maybe your impression of those
@Helen
First time I noticed that thread. I totally empathise with your reluctance to be grateful because it reveals weakness and need. It takes me courage to go next door to borrow something because there's always lurking that despicable idea that I'm poor, needy, miserable, blind, and naked. Yet that's exactly what I am. In the sermon on the mount Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven is for those poor in spirit. Yep. And the first step getting there is admitting it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

As @Hidden In Him has lots on his plate I'm sure he wont mind us hijacking his thread :D

I wish you and Kathy lived next door ...we love playing cards ...me more than Dave.

You mentioned hand 11 rounds.

We often play 'Declaration Whist' ...with only two of us its hilarious , we end up in the 13th hand with the whole pack between us in our hands...

It a good thinking game..do you know it?
ut I get a bit borad
We also play Canasta a lot....Dave likes Cribbage best of all , but I get a bit bored with it after a while.
Good for us though.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love Scrabble, it's like the only game i have little chance at lol--ok that and monopoly, never won a game in my life--but anyway, there's a new tile game called Quirkle, i think i spelled that right, its a big hoot. We played the travel one, cant imagine the board one being any more fun though
I always liked scrabble but my wife is one of the first people I ever encountered who also enjoyed it.

As a kid I used to love to play monopoly but I had a cousin/uncle who ruined it for me. When he won he was a loud mouth who was all smiles and quick to make other feel inferior if he could. When he lost he became hateful to point of even accusing other players of cheating... like the money was real to him or...? When he was around I avoided any board games because he was like that with everything. Unfortunately for years he was my closest companion. It made it hard at times to enjoy life very much. Because of him I took my first trip to New York City all alone.

as to diet, lol dont get me started, i cannot say enough bad things about the SAD ok; diet is a major front in the war to reduce population imo. You are a cell factory, basically, and your body wants Omega 3 and cholesterol to produce healthy, permeable cell walls. And omega 3 goes rancid very quickly, which is why it is absent from all of our shelf-stable "food."

That and vit D supplementing--to remedy your guaranteed, i know this for a fact, will bet you any amount you care to lose, rampant, chronic deficiency; for your locale--alone will manifest amazing improvements in even an 80 year old in about six months, with significant improvements in 30-60 days. Eschew fish oil, go for plant based. Quinoa and chia are pretty cheap ok. Dave's Killer Bread is pretty convenient. So imo there just is no excuse a
No excuse except I have never paid much attention to such things and taking the time to do so now simply is unlikely to happen. My wife is the conscientious one on diet for both her and for me. She works hard to keep me and herself where we need to be on such things. I simply follow her lead. If she wanted me dead, I would have been there a very long time ago. After 47 years of marriage that won't change much while we are both alive.

My own private time, rather than being spent on what the body needs or even wants, is spent on this forum, or on my own music, or on my stamps, or on my computer sorting , or on reading the scriptures, or on books of interest for the moment... and so forth. Everything goes at such a slower pace these days for me than it did years ago, there is little time for new routines. There is never enough time to get caught up on anything. This being December now, I have now started working on my income tax gathering of information. It is not necessary as nothing has changed nor become more complicated in my relationship with Uncle Sam and the state of Oklahoma, but it is the way I have always done it. I used to do taxes for other people but they mostly all died on me. Only one is left and I'll do his in February if both of us live that long.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As @Hidden In Him has lots on his plate I'm sure he wont mind us hijacking his thread :D

I wish you and Kathy lived next door ...we love playing cards ...me more than Dave.

You mentioned hand 11 rounds.

We often play 'Declaration Whist' ...with only two of us its hilarious , we end up in the 13th hand with the whole pack between us in our hands...

It a good thinking game..do you know it?
ut I get a bit borad
We also play Canasta a lot....Dave likes Cribbage best of all , but I get a bit bored with it after a while.
Good for us though.
Those three are games that when I was young I heard about, but never met any enthusiasts so I've never played any of them. My mother and step-father use to attend periodic card parties and Portuguese Celebrations in California. They always played a version of cards similar to rook but I have long since forgotten the name. They had prizes for the best players in the evening. I was too young to play but love to go for the 'soupus' was to die for... My wife learned how to make it from my mother, but has not made it in years. I'll have to remind her now that it has come to mind again. Hopefully she has the recipe hidden away somewhere.

When you and Dave move down this way... LOL, or we move up that way, we'll set up a regular day and time each week to play.

We did have a weekly gathering of retired people here in our apartment complex where we drank coffee, talked and played mostly Phase 10 and Skip Bo, but most of our regulars have died on us or been transferred to skilled nursing facilities or nursing homes. Kathy used to lead the thing and for every significant holiday we'd have a potluck with her usually preparing the main course/entree, but she has gotten tired and has had too much sickness and finally advised the primary manager a couple of years ago she couldn't do it any more. The immediate manager now is supposed to do it, but we've only had one who really got into it. Mostly it is a secondary thing and not important to them. They don't get fired for not getting fully engaged and no one but Kathy among the tenants has been willing and able to lead the way...

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.
It is significant to note that even though this prophecy from Joel was quoted in the New Testament, the only recorded visions --NOT DREAMS -- are those of the apostles (primarily John, Peter, and Paul).

This should teach us a lesson. Which is that while God did use dreams in the Old Testament, they were not of any significance in the apostolic churches. And today we do have the written Word of God and the indwelling Holy Spirit to speak to us.

Dreams can come from many sources, and even evil spirits can use dreams for their own purposes. Shamanic religions rely heavily on communication with spirits and dreams.

B

brakelite

Those three are games that when I was young I heard about, but never met any enthusiasts so I've never played any of them. My mother and step-father use to attend periodic card parties and Portuguese Celebrations in California. They always played a version of cards similar to rook but I have long since forgotten the name. They had prizes for the best players in the evening. I was too young to play but love to go for the 'soupus' was to die for... My wife learned how to make it from my mother, but has not made it in years. I'll have to remind her now that it has come to mind again. Hopefully she has the recipe hidden away somewhere.

When you and Dave move down this way... LOL, or we move up that way, we'll set up a regular day and time each week to play.

We did have a weekly gathering of retired people here in our apartment complex where we drank coffee, talked and played mostly Phase 10 and Skip Bo, but most of our regulars have died on us or been transferred to skilled nursing facilities or nursing homes. Kathy used to lead the thing and for every significant holiday we'd have a potluck with her usually preparing the main course/entree, but she has gotten tired and has had too much sickness and finally advised the primary manager a couple of years ago she couldn't do it any more. The immediate manager now is supposed to do it, but we've only had one who really got into it. Mostly it is a secondary thing and not important to them. They don't get fired for not getting fully engaged and no one but Kathy among the tenants has been willing and able to lead the way...
I remember so distinctly my mum and dad playing mah jong with several neighbors. They had their own beautiful set of carved tiles and I would play with them endlessly as a youngster trying to learn the rules off the instruction leaflet....I never succeeded.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Well that is the way the game comes... but I presume the double deck is easy enough. Simply remove the 1's and the 2's. It would change the game some, but I suspect it would still work. We found the game at a Target store in Oklahoma City. No Targets closer to home, but it may be available elsewhere.
ah well ty, we have a Target right here in our hands now i guess huh

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
First time I noticed that thread. I totally empathise with your reluctance to be grateful because it reveals weakness and need. It takes me courage to go next door to borrow something because there's always lurking that despicable idea that I'm poor, needy, miserable, blind, and naked. Yet that's exactly what I am. In the sermon on the mount Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven is for those poor in spirit. Yep. And the first step getting there is admitting it.
ah, good one. For whatever reason i would have no probs asking someone i had just had a knockdowndragout for a cup of sugar; but confessing something i am truly grateful for, not so much, lol