problem related to praying in tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should pray in secret to our Heavenly Father. But there's really nothing wrong with praying 'with' a group of believers either.

But what you're talking about is their idea of 'praying in tongues', which would mean that you agree with that per 'their' view. Thing is, their view of what 'praying in tongues' is, is not Biblical. Apostle Paul taught no such idea.

When Paul spoke of someone coming into the Church with a "unknown tongue", he was pointing to known languages of the world. Simply, if someone who only spoke Chinese came into the Church and there was no one to interpret, Paul said for that to keep silent.

And by the way, the word "unknown" in the KJV phrase "unknown tongue" in 1 Corinthians 14, IS NOT WRITTEN IN THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT. The KJV translators ADDED that word "unknown". The word in the Greek there is simply Greek glossa, which means a known language of the world.

And that is the MAJOR HINGE POINT of properly understanding about the cloven tongue of Pentecost. When it went out, it went out as KNOWN LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD, even in the DIALECTS of the towns where those present were born. It was NOT gibberish speech, which is how many are fooled into thinking that gibberish talk is the true cloven tongue. The TRUE cloven tongue per ACTS 2 was UNDERSTOOD by everyone present!
What about the spiritual gift of the interpretation of tongues? Or the whole of 1 Corinthians chapter 14?

• Love
Reactions: David in NJ

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the spiritual gift of the interpretation of tongues? Or the whole of 1 Corinthians chapter 14?
The Scripture EVIDENCE of what the cloven tongue is that was spoken on Pentecost in Acts 2 is that it is 'understood' in KNOWN languages by all that are present.

That... is what the Acts 2 chapter reveals. And not only that, but in the Greek it reveals the people present even heard in their own 'dialects' (dialektos) of their birth. God knows how we speak and hear.

The cloven tongue is not an unknown tongue, it is what all peoples once spoke before God confused the nations at the tower of Babel. Per Zephaniah 3, God has promised to return us to that one tongue or language in the future.

Reactions: Cassandra

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should pray in secret to our Heavenly Father. But there's really nothing wrong with praying 'with' a group of believers either.

But what you're talking about is their idea of 'praying in tongues', which would mean that you agree with that per 'their' view. Thing is, their view of what 'praying in tongues' is, is not Biblical. Apostle Paul taught no such idea.

When Paul spoke of someone coming into the Church with a "unknown tongue", he was pointing to known languages of the world. Simply, if someone who only spoke Chinese came into the Church and there was no one to interpret, Paul said for that to keep silent.

And by the way, the word "unknown" in the KJV phrase "unknown tongue" in 1 Corinthians 14, IS NOT WRITTEN IN THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT. The KJV translators ADDED that word "unknown". The word in the Greek there is simply Greek glossa, which means a known language of the world.

And that is the MAJOR HINGE POINT of properly understanding about the cloven tongue of Pentecost. When it went out, it went out as KNOWN LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD, even in the DIALECTS of the towns where those present were born. It was NOT gibberish speech, which is how many are fooled into thinking that gibberish talk is the true cloven tongue. The TRUE cloven tongue per ACTS 2 was UNDERSTOOD by everyone present!
The Gift of Tongues is not a known language on earth.

Crystal Clear = "Earnestly pursue love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.
2For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries in the Spirit."

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Scripture EVIDENCE of what the cloven tongue is that was spoken on Pentecost in Acts 2 is that it is 'understood' in KNOWN languages by all that are present.

That... is what the Acts 2 chapter reveals. And not only that, but in the Greek it reveals the people present even heard in their own 'dialects' (dialektos) of their birth. God knows how we speak and hear.

The cloven tongue is not an unknown tongue, it is what all peoples once spoke before God confused the nations at the tower of Babel. Per Zephaniah 3, God has promised to return us to that one tongue or language in the future.
That is not what Acts ch2 records - read it again

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why don't you understand what Scripture clearly says about speaking in tongues? It is a gift from God to some people including myself. I have spoken in tongues and prayed in tongues, both privately and in church. If God gave me that gift, why shouldn't I use it? Because you and others say so?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you understand what Scripture clearly says about speaking in tongues?
I do... understand what God's Word says about the cloven tongue of Pentecost. And it sounds... like YOU need a lesson on it...

Here is what ACTS 2 (KJV) teaches... per the Greek:

Acts 2:3 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:4 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:6 "language" = Greek dialektos = dialect
2:8 "tongue" = Greek dialektos = dialect
2:11 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:26 "tongue" = Greek glossa = known language

Acts 2:8
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
KJV

The above outline order of just what was spoken and HEARD on Pentecost is marked like the above per The Holy Spirit in that Greek outline alternation. Notice the order is perfect in the Greek, defining like an anchor for us exactly how the cloven tongue manifested. God's Word does that above type of outline alternation in the manuscripts all the time, and the KJV often follows it. This is one of the benefits of using a KJV and a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

So then... HOW is it that many who claim to speak that 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost instead speak something else that not all present can understand, and not like what actually happened at Pentecost???

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do... understand what God's Word says about the cloven tongue of Pentecost. And it sounds... like YOU need a lesson on it...

Here is what ACTS 2 (KJV) teaches... per the Greek:

Acts 2:3 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:4 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:6 "language" = Greek dialektos = dialect
2:8 "tongue" = Greek dialektos = dialect
2:11 "tongues" = Greek glossa = known languages
2:26 "tongue" = Greek glossa = known language

Acts 2:8
8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
KJV

The above outline order of just what was spoken and HEARD on Pentecost is marked like the above per The Holy Spirit in that Greek outline alternation. Notice the order is perfect in the Greek, defining like an anchor for us exactly how the cloven tongue manifested. God's Word does that above type of outline alternation in the manuscripts all the time, and the KJV often follows it. This is one of the benefits of using a KJV and a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

So then... HOW is it that many who claim to speak that 'cloven tongue' of Pentecost instead speak something else that not all present can understand, and not like what actually happened at Pentecost???
Acts 2:15

"But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day."

Reactions: St. SteVen

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

problem related to praying in tongues​

I'm afraid not one who posted on this thread has gotten the gist on the "Phenomenon of Tongues" including the writer of the OP!

We do not go into our closets and pray to God with a different language other than the language we learned from our parents.

God wrote extensively about the "phenomenon of tongues" in
1 Corinthians 14. We must first understand a subject matter that we want to present to the world's market place if we are to make the reader be edified.

Someone wrote here that God is a God of order and not of chaos. True! But He also said to be like the Bereans who searched the Scripture to see if what Paul taught was so.

I urge people to study or restudy 1 Corinthians 14, like the Bereans, for there lies the answer of the "Tongues Phenomenon." Don't be spoon-fed all the time. Do your diligence.

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ADDENDUM,

The miracle that occurred at Pentecost that about 15 Nations heard the Gospel preached in their own languages is NOT the same as the "Tongues Phenomenon!

Reactions: St. SteVen

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

problem related to praying in tongues​

I'm afraid not one who posted on this thread has gotten the gist on the "Phenomenon of Tongues" including the writer of the OP!

We do not go into our closets and pray to God with a different language other than the language we learned from our parents.

God wrote extensively about the "phenomenon of tongues" in
1 Corinthians 14. We must first understand a subject matter that we want to present to the world's market place if we are to make the reader be edified.

Someone wrote here that God is a God of order and not of chaos. True! But He also said to be like the Bereans who searched the Scripture to see if what Paul taught was so.

I urge people to study or restudy 1 Corinthians 14, like the Bereans, for there lies the answer of the "Tongues Phenomenon." Don't be spoon-fed all the time. Do your diligence.

To God Be The Glory
There is no scripture that states a "phenomenon of tongues" as you claim.

There is the Spiritual Gift of Tongues that comes from our Heavenly FATHER thru His HOLY SPIRIT - Acts and 1 Corinthians

There is also, as it is necessary, the Spiritual Gift of Interpretation of Tongues = also given by the Holy Spirit.

These Authentic God Given Spiritual Gifts cannot be purchased or earned or given by schools, colleges, universities, churches or cults.

There are always counterfeits = “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it.
24For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
25See, I have told you beforehand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keturah

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1 That video is not what we SEE and read in Acts and 1 Corinthians about the Authentic God given Gift of Tongues.
#2 i never participated or belonged to any group like that in the video

#3 i have been to other churches where the exact opposite took place to such extreme that you wanted to cry!
Really.... You had the mods delete my post yet kept the vidio I posted that spanked you....

Think before you run to someone to actually alter Truth for you... and do your work... For You....

You make this old man sad...

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really.... You had the mods delete my post yet kept the vidio I posted that spanked you....

Think before you run to someone to actually alter Truth for you... and do your work... For You....

You make this old man sad...
i never reported you or said anything of the such you falsely accuse here

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no scripture that states a "phenomenon of tongues" as you claim.
Only because you have no concept as to the meaning of the word "phenomenon." The word "phenomenon" can be translated as "miracle," "experience," "reality," to name a few.
There is the Spiritual Gift of Tongues that comes from our Heavenly FATHER thru His HOLY SPIRIT - Acts and 1 Corinthians
True, but Acts and 1 Corinthians are entirely different concepts, although both are a miracle occurrences.
There is also, as it is necessary, the Spiritual Gift of Interpretation of Tongues = also given by the Holy Spirit.
Here lies the understanding of the "Tongues Phenomenon!" It is given and must need be interpreted. If no interpreter, the one who received the tongues phenomenon, must keep silent. But if there be an interpreter, then it serves to edify the congregation. Do not forbid to speak in tongues.

If this last paragraph above is NOT understood then the phenomenon of "speaking in tongues" will never be realized!

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then... Why am I being contacted about being rude... with this video I posted? It's not like I made the video... or ask them to Bark like dogs... in the Church you seem to attend... Hey, may you meow like Cats and don't bark like Dogs..... Who am I to judge??

Also the link you have posted.... is gone from any post I made.... How did you you get it??

FROM ME!!!

Let's make this clear... You are talking to me about a video... That I somehow did not post... Yet posted???

All is not right here fellow Christians...

Paul
Go back to Post #72

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only because you have no concept as to the meaning of the word "phenomenon." The word "phenomenon" can be translated as "miracle," "experience," "reality," to name a few.

True, but Acts and 1 Corinthians are entirely different concepts, although both are a miracle occurrences.

Here lies the understanding of the "Tongues Phenomenon!" It is given and must need be interpreted. If no interpreter, the one who received the tongues phenomenon, must keep silent. But if there be an interpreter, then it serves to edify the congregation. Do not forbid to speak in tongues.

If this last paragraph above is NOT understood then the phenomenon of "speaking in tongues" will never be realized!

To God Be The Glory
phenomenon is not the word used in scripture

"spiritual" is the correct word

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
Acts and 1 Corinthians are the same = to God be the Glory

i never disputed any part of Acts or 1 Corinthians = to God be the Glory

The Gifts of the Spirit are for His Bride = to God be the Glory

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go back to Post #72
I did... Link is dead... So how did you get to post this video.... I exposed/posted.... that did not exist...

Show me the original link... It's gone.... and you know it....

Paul

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did... Link is dead... So how did you got to post this video.... I exposed/posted....

Show me the original link... It's gone.... and you know it....

Paul

there is no conversation here as i told you that i never reported you = end of story!

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then, where did you get the video... of the barking dogs...

Silly Child... You even think anyone would beleive you would post against your self?

SO>>> Child of the Christ.... Where did you get the Video of the Barking Dogs...

Your Welcome... child
Paul

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do I here Barking on this Thread? It seems so... or prehaps It's the Cat meow...