problem related to praying in tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 14​

New Living Translation​

Tongues and Prophecy​

14 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues,[a] you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit,[b] but it will all be mysterious. 3 But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them. 4 A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.
5 I wish you could all speak in tongues, but even more I wish you could all prophesy. For prophecy is greater than speaking in tongues, unless someone interprets what you are saying so that the whole church will be strengthened.
6 Dear brothers and sisters,[c] if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language,[d] how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful. 7 Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody. 8 And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle?
9 It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space.
10 There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning. 11 But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me. 12 And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.
13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said. 14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying.
15 Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit,[e] and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand. 16 For if you praise God only in the spirit, how can those who don’t understand you praise God along with you? How can they join you in giving thanks when they don’t understand what you are saying? 17 You will be giving thanks very well, but it won’t strengthen the people who hear you.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you. 19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.
20 Dear brothers and sisters, don’t be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind.21 It is written in the Scriptures[f]:
“I will speak to my own people
through strange languages
and through the lips of foreigners.
But even then, they will not listen to me,”[g]
says the Lord.
22 So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers. Prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers. 23 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy. 24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say.25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.”

A Call to Orderly Worship​

26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.
27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say.28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately.
29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said. 30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop. 31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged.32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.[h]
34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says. 35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.[i]
36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given? 37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself. 38 But if you do not recognize this, you yourself will not be recognized.[j]
39 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But be sure that everything is done properly and in order.
I agree Orderly Worship required.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disorderly perhaps to one who does not understand, but consider what Jesus said here in response to a question about speaking in parables:

Mt 13:10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mt 13:11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mt 13:12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mt 13:13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mt 13:14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mt 13:15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Do all speaking parables? Do all speak in tongues?

1co 14:39Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
unrelated brother, friend

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you repeatedly changing the subject?

I wrote "Yes, God is hindered by the languages of men."
You responded "God, I believe, is limited by men following their own wills instead of God's will. Men choose to sin and by that they limit God. They can do that until they run out of time." Change of subject.

I wrote "The Bible is considered by most to be God's word"
You responded "If the words written are not quickened within us by the Holy Spirit how are they different than these words from Deuteronomy spoken by satan to Jesus?" and "Yes, cannot words be quickened [brought to Life] by the Holy Spirit within a person without regard as to which human language [if any] is being used?"

I wrote "His communication to people via the inspired authors. Because the source documents were written by men who wrote in different languages and to a different audience, their writings must be clearly and accurately translated into the languages of the readers. The most obvious solution is to use the language most clearly understood by the readers (or hearers). If the Truth is not clearly communicated, then God will be misunderstood."

You responded "Does not clear communication from God come to man by the Holy Spirit rather than by a man's diligent study and logical thinking? Men limit God by their ways which may or may not be connected to the human language involved."

You finished your post with "In my own case the one that has been clear is the KJV which I have been reading daily along with Spanish and German translations for more than 45 years. In the lowest room God has often used those words I have read to accomplish His purpose in me. I would not however expect anyone else to change what they read or study because of me or my experience. Let them follow God as they are led by the Holy Spirit."

Where is "the lowest room"? If you're referring to Luke 14, "lowest room" is a mistranslation. Banquets were held in one room; a correct translation of "lowest room" is "lowest place" or "least important place". I suggest that you read a more modern, more accurate translation then the KJV.
I was hopeful, but you are presently unwilling to go to that "lowest place" [room] in order to be elevated [increased] by the One who gives the increase. Your needle must be stuck.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hopeful, but you are presently unwilling to go to that "lowest place" [room] in order to be elevated [increased] by the One who gives the increase. Your needle must be stuck.
I have no idea what you mean. You referred to the "lowest room" and I pointed out that the word "room" is a mistranslation since banquets were held in a single room, not multiple rooms. Then you change that into a personal criticism of me? That is absurd!

Reactions: The Learner

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Tongues of men and of angels...

When Paul is writing about this, he talks about faith to move a mountain. This faith to move a mountain is obviously figurative.. because it didn't happen then and has never been written to happen or observed to happen now. So .. since this is figurative/exaggeration to make a point.. so is tongues of angels.

It is hypothetical/hyperbole.. 'if I could do this.. it would mean nothing' not that he actually spoke in tongues of angels.

The other thing is: in scripture tongues of angels is never anything other than the same lingo spoken by humans. That is how they communicated to each-other.. in the same lingo.

(sigh)

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This faith to move a mountain is obviously figurative
? "...also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done."

So, just as obvious is that this is "also figurative"?:

Mat 21:19 And when He saw a fig tree in the way, He came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
Mat 21:20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
Mat 21:21 Jesus Answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but..." (see above...)

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
! (+ I and II!) ← answers a lot of the present Confusion...

Grace, Peace, And JOY!…

Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tongues of men and of angels...

When Paul is writing about this, he talks about faith to move a mountain. This faith to move a mountain is obviously figurative.. because it didn't happen then and has never been written to happen or observed to happen now. So .. since this is figurative/exaggeration to make a point.. so is tongues of angels.

It is hypothetical/hyperbole.. 'if I could do this.. it would mean nothing' not that he actually spoke in tongues of angels.

The other thing is: in scripture tongues of angels is never anything other than the same lingo spoken by humans. That is how they communicated to each-other.. in the same lingo.

(sigh)
So if giraffe has four legs and a dog has four legs, a giraffe and a dog are the same animal. Correct?

If you haven't been given the gift of speaking in tongues, why do you doubt that others have received the gift?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what you mean. You referred to the "lowest room" and I pointed out that the word "room" is a mistranslation since banquets were held in a single room, not multiple rooms. Then you change that into a personal criticism of me? That is absurd!
My mistake. Give God the glory!

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So if giraffe has four legs and a dog has four legs, a giraffe and a dog are the same animal. Correct?

If you haven't been given the gift of speaking in tongues, why do you doubt that others have received the gift?
Thanks for the reply,

Not really a fair comparison there. The faith to move a mountain and tongues of angels are in the same paragraph. So it would follow they are in the same mood/intent of 'if I could do this..'

Aside from this, again, tongues of angels.. isn't mentioned as a language different to the language communicated between angels and men. So it is the same language.

1Co_13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co_13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

This is clearly exaggeration/hyperbole to make a point.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are ALWAYS wrong when you deny TRUTH

1 Cor 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,"

1 Cor 14:1 - "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries."

1 Cor 14:4 - "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied;"

Believe the Truth and you will know the Truth.

I'm sorry,
Given the Biblical spanking I gave you.... I Yet to see any Truth you have to share???

What's your point? Or even better.... What are you trying to sell... from your cult leaders?

The Spiritual Dude abides...
Paul

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry,
Given the Biblical spanking I gave you.... I Yet to see any Truth you have to share???

What's your point? Or even better.... What are you trying to sell... from your cult leaders?

The Spiritual Dude abides...
Paul
lolx100

This was a great laugher to start my day = thank you

Reactions: The Learner

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply,

Not really a fair comparison there. The faith to move a mountain and tongues of angels are in the same paragraph. So it would follow they are in the same mood/intent of 'if I could do this..'

Aside from this, again, tongues of angels.. isn't mentioned as a language different to the language communicated between angels and men. So it is the same language.

1Co_13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co_13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

This is clearly exaggeration/hyperbole to make a point.
You are ALWAYS wrong when you deny TRUTH

1 Cor 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels,"
1 Cor 14:1 - "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries."
1 Cor 14:4 - "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied;"

Believe the Truth and you will know the Truth.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lolx100

This was a great laugher to start my day = thank you
Glad you feel free to let go of your Spitural Ankles...

Given that God has alread spoken.....
Heb 1:1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2 in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.

So what Angel language is speaking through you... That Jesus was not able to say himself....

Let's define ... Angel ..
ἄγγελος
aggelos
ang'-el-os
From ἀγγέλλω aggellō (probably derived from G71; compare G34; to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an “angel”; by implication a pastor: - angel, messenger.

Word study...
G32
ἄγγελος
ággelos; gen. aggélou, masc. noun. Messenger, one sent to announce or proclaim.
(I) A messenger, one who is sent in order to announce, teach, perform, or explore anything (Mat_11:10; Luk_7:24; Luk_9:52; Gal_4:14; Jam_2:25; Sept.: Jos_6:17; Mal_2:7). In 1Co_11:10, aggélous, acc. pl., is interpreted variably as spies or angels, good or evil, even demons. The angels of the seven churches are probably the bishops or pastors of those churches, the delegates or messengers of the churches of God (Rev_1:20; Rev_2:1, Rev_2:8, Rev_2:12, Rev_2:18; Rev_3:1, Rev_3:7, Rev_3:14). Heb_13:2 may have reference to itinerate preachers rather than angels.
(II) An angel, a celestial messenger, a being superior to man. God is represented as surrounded by a host of beings of a higher order than man. These He uses as His messengers and agents in administering the affairs of the world and in promoting the welfare of humans (Mat_1:20; Mat_18:10; Mat_22:30; Act_7:30). As to the numbers of the angels, see Heb_12:22; Rev_5:11. See archággelos (G743), archangel. In 2Pe_2:4; Jud_1:6, some of the angels that sinned are said to have been cast down to hell. They are called the angels of the devil or Satan (Mat_25:41; 2Co_12:7; Rev_12:9). In Rev_9:11, the angel of the bottomless pit is the destroying angel Abaddṓn (G3), Abaddon.
Deriv.: aggelía (G31), message; archággelos (G743), archangel; isággelos (G2465), like or equal to an angel.
Syn.: apóstolos (G652), apostle, messenger.

Even Demons are called Angels/messengers David NJ.... So what Angel language is speaking through you... That Jesus was not able to say himself.... in Heb 1:1

Think about it! before you speak the language of unknown angels....

FYI.... falling on the floor and barking like a Dog... is not Spiritual... You want me to post some youtube videos of Christians speaking in tongues... I can if it helps
Paul

Last edited: