problem related to praying in tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most common misunderstanding of interpretation is ….how does the interpretation take place?
The term "interpretation" may be a bit of a misnomer. Just as "gifts" is. (they are manifestations)

I asked someone that did interpretation of tongues, how it worked.
I was surprised at the answer, but it made sense.

He said it worked the same as prophecy. When you felt the nudge, just open your mouth and speak it.
Sometimes it is an elaboration on the message in tongues. (goes longer)

In my old church however, I did hear an interpretation that tracked perfectly with the message in tongues.
It had the same repeated lines that the tongues had. Wow.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I usually approach it conversationally.
Unless I am saying table grace (thanks for the day/meal), or a breath prayer. (Jesus prayer)

My favorite breath prayer is:

Behold the lamb of God, (breathe in)
That takes away the sin of the world. (breathe out)
Interesting, do you see the symbolic nature in your ritual?

Breath in is because it is the Holy Spirit which we recieve. Breath out is the Son and course of action, wisdom, logos.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It would be difficult to state if the tongues today are the same as in the 1st century, I would assume so but that is not my department … that one belongs to God.

The most common misunderstanding of interpretation is ….how does the interpretation take place?

Due to the wording in the KJV it has been understood that someone else other than the one who is speaking in tongues, interprets…. that is not the case. The person who is speaking in tongues is the one who should be interpreting…. Which is the sum and substance of the tongues spoken…. If in a group meeting someone else interprets (and I know it does happen with some groups) it is either someone giving prophecy (edification, exhortation, and or comfort) or it s being faked.

Following are the verses that have caused some confusion.

I Cor 14
14:1
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual “gifts”, but rather that ye may prophesy.

14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual “gifts”, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

First …get rid of the word ➡ gifts in verses 1 and verse 14. It was added by translators there is no corresponding Greek word for that.
The word “spiritual” in verse 1 is the Greek word (pneumatikos) meaning “that which belongs to, is determined by, influenced by, or proceeds from the spirit” (spiritual matters). Tongues, interpretation, and prophecy are a manifestation of the spirit, they are not gifts…. they are an evidence of the gift of holy spirit that you were given at the new birth. (For a more detailed explanation see this site → Tongues)

14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

To “pray that he may interpret” is not pray for interpretation, but rather pray that you believe to interpret. You are already equipped with the gift of holy spirit …..which means you can operate any and all of the 9 manifestation, but if you don’t believe you can, …….pray to God that you have the confidence to accept what he has already made available to you.

Note also that verse 13 states except he interpret…. not someone else. We have to follow grammatical structure, which applies to both Greek and English. When “he” applies to the person speaking we cannot change the rules of application to suite our beliefs. In order for this to reference a totally different person, it would have to read, in the third person, they …the same applies in verse 14:5 also.

14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course (order) and let one (heis) interpret.

The Greek text employs the word heis for → one ….. meaning “the one in the samenot someone else which would be (hen)
(Other examples of “heis” are in Luke_12:52; Romans_3:30

14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

The word no in verse 28 is the Greek word , which is a conditional negation, depending on feeling, as opposed to the Greek word ou which would be a full and direct negation not depending on any condition, expressed or implied; based on fact.

ou is objective…. is subjective. If we were talking about someone else, (an interpreter not being there to interpret the tongues,) the word no would have to be ou, but it is not. The word for no in this verse is mē, and it referring to the person who may lack the will, or desire to interpret.
Speaking tongues in the bible simply symbolises speaking Truth. Speaking Truth incorporates all. Truth is omnipresent. It is present in all walks of life and is never exclusive to one language so to speak.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, do you see the symbolic nature in your ritual?

Breath in is because it is the Holy Spirit which we recieve. Breath out is the Son and course of action, wisdom, logos.
Certainly the symbolic aspect of the Holy Spirit as breath. And the breath of life.
Inhaling and exhaling as spiritual giving and receiving. Or releasing the bad and taking in the good.
It's a Christian mystic practice to clear the mind and invite the divine presence.
I like what you are saying as well. I guess it can mean a lot of positive things.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking tongues in the bible simply symbolises speaking Truth. Speaking Truth incorporates all. Truth is omnipresent. It is present in all walks of life and is never exclusive to one language so to speak.
It's a way to submit our most unruly member.

Reactions: amadeus

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The term "interpretation" may be a bit of a misnomer. Just as "gifts" is. (they are manifestations)

I asked someone that did interpretation of tongues, how it worked.
I was surprised at the answer, but it made sense.

He said it worked the same as prophecy. When you felt the nudge, just open your mouth and speak it.
Sometimes it is an elaboration on the message in tongues. (goes longer)

In my old church however, I did hear an interpretation that tracked perfectly with the message in tongues.
It had the same repeated lines that the tongues had. Wow.

I am just using Gods word ….and while I agree it may be a misnomer, as typically no one understands the tongues, but I have to believe if done correctly and since God uses the word interpretation.... that is what it is.

I have heard the extended interpretations, but if you listen you can actually hear the hyphen when someone is interpretating….. in which case they probably go into prophecy. I have also heard the converse, with interpretation being much shorter than the tongues.

I did not hear this myself ….but someone I know was in a meeting where another person in that meeting understood the tongues (I cannot remember which language it was) but they stated the interpretation was absolutely spot on with the tongues.

From my experience when I interpret …it’s stop and go. You stop speaking and the next words are the interpretation ….I don’t listen to the interpretation … the words are just there and I speak (just like with tongues) ….. if I paid attention to the words, I would get confused ….same as with prophecy, I never listen to what I say.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Certainly the symbolic aspect of the Holy Spirit as breath. And the breath of life.
Inhaling and exhaling as spiritual giving and receiving. Or releasing the bad and taking in the good.
It's a Christian mystic practice to clear the mind and invite the divine presence.
I like what you are saying as well. I guess it can mean a lot of positive things.
We create with the desire to create and when we are finished we are proud. Creation is a proud manifestation. Pride and ego create individuality on the inside and the outside. Ask yourself the question, why do we breath the way we do? In and out? Why is that? The air we breath is an essence of life. It is a physicle manifestation of the realm of Heaven. On earth air is omnipresent, gives life and is unseen in nature. Air is not individual within itself, it is unified as one. As we give and receive love from one another so is it that we breath in and out. This is not coincidence. Everything is a reflection of itself.

As within, so without.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We create with the desire to create and when we are finished we are proud. Creation is a proud manifestation. Pride and ego create individuality on the inside and the outside. Ask yourself the question, why do we breath the way we do? In and out? Why is that? The air we breath is an essence of life. It is a physicle manifestation of the realm of Heaven. On earth air is omnipresent, gives life and is unseen in nature. Air is not individual within itself, it is unified as one. As we give and receive love from one another so is it that we breath in and out. This is not coincidence. Everything is a reflection of itself.

As within, so without.
Interesting, as always.

I am a creative individual.
An artist, designer, educator, musician, songwriter, recording engineer, writer, lyricist, etc.

I gain satisfaction and fulfillment in these self-expressions.

What's wrong with me? - LOL

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting, as always.

I am a creative individual.
An artist, designer, educator, musician, songwriter, recording engineer, writer, lyricist, etc.

I gain satisfaction and fulfillment in these self-expressions.

What's wrong with me? - LOL
Nothing. Pride an ego are completely necessary in the physicle domain for a number of reasons. Individuality, self esteem and its mode also protects us from physicle danger (and spiritual danger). We can see when the ego becomes out of controle it can protect its belief system to its own detriment. An arrogant person often get overly defensive.

Art is a good example of how we can do things in two ways. We can paint with the interlect in precision like when we copy strait from an image or we can paint in faith where we let go of our interlect and we become free in the proccess. Dancing is another good example and its true that when we dance from the ego we are in danger of embarresment. Pride comes before a fall. When we dance in faith, we walk on water (Shame).

Faith is letting go of the ego. Letting go of the physicle realm. Its a free feeling of unconditional trust and is one of those many things that get taken completely out of context.

The first half of life is to build a healthy ego. The second half is to let it go. The first half of a painting is to make it, the second half is to give it away. This is the healthy cycle in all things. When we keep we become a resistor in the flow of life.

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Due to the wording in the KJV it has been understood that someone else other than the one who is speaking in tongues, interprets…. that is not the case. The person who is speaking in tongues is the one who should be interpreting…
i have never spoke in tongues i been in services one the majority was speaking in tongues that was crazy. then i was in a ASOG church someone spoke then it was quiet for a minute or so then the interstation came. i have heard other preachers speak in tongues while preaching . in my years i have yet to fully understand the reason of the use of tongues. i have heard many teachings on it. in most cases the services i was in sounded like jibbersh

Reactions: Cassandra

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have never spoke in tongues i been in services one the majority was speaking in tongues that was crazy. then i was in a ASOG church someone spoke then it was quiet for a minute or so then the interstation came. i have heard other preachers speak in tongues while preaching . in my years i have yet to fully understand the reason of the use of tongues. i have heard many teachings on it. in most cases the services i was in sounded like jibbersh

Sounds like some bizarre happenings ….It makes me wonder if these people ever read 1 Corinthians 14 which clearly sets the proper order of tongues and prophecy in group meetings (church). They seem to break all the doctrinal rules laid out in that chapter.

When I first spoke in tongues….I had never heard it done nor heard of it….I just read a section of a book (called Power in Praise) that said it was available to all believers …..so I did it…..Afterwards in trying to learn more about it ….someone pointed me to Assembly of God Church, which displayed some of what you described, and more …. Although I didn’t know much of the Bible at the time… I knew it was “off” and I left because one of the verses I did know was that…. all things should be done decently and in order. [1Co 14:40]

What surprises me is that (after your experiences) you are still curious about tongues, many others would brush it off …. I think the reason I never did after some of the things I went through in the beginning, was my experience, which was unmistakably of God. ….So, any of the goofy, off the Word things I saw people do, didn’t faze me…..The same night I spoke in tongues I went out around 1am and found some friends at a laundry mat …told them what I had done ….got them to accept Christ and they spoke in tongues. It took a few years of Bible research to get through misconceptions of what people had to say about it… and learn the truths of what the Bible had to say.

I left a link in post #128 of this thread which gives the benefits of tongues….and here are a couple more post I did from a site. Manifestation not Gift and How to ……….if you are interested.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same night I spoke in tongues I went out around 1am and found some friends at a laundry mat …told them what I had done ….got them to accept Christ and they spoke in tongues.
Great testimony post. Thanks.

This quote above is probably what tongues was like in the early church days after Pentecost.
While it was still fresh and new and exciting. And didn't have the "baggage" that tongues has today.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What surprises me is that (after your experiences) you are still curious about tongues, many others would brush it off
let me clarify this i am Leary of the tongues used today. it has nothing to do with me being baptize. i really could care less about the name. i have attended in vest many churches. from apostolic Pentecostal to ASOG some named worship centers. i figure it this way if the good Lord wanted me to speak in lounges then he would give it to me.
i have friends who speak it. i dont argue with them .but my point is on the day of pentecost . there was a whole lot of different nationality's and languages. when peter preached they all understood. the services i been in i got nothing out of. nor did i understand what they said. since GOD is not the author of confusion . it appears some one was out of order they take you to the altar or lay hands on you. the moment to rattle something off. they have a run away in the spirit. so is man or is it the HOLY GHOST ? i fear lots of it is man i dont understand it so i let it alone.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems this phenomenon of "Speaking in Tongues" has everyone "tongue tied" so to speak! I mean out of 135 posts, someone in this thread should at least have gotten the gist of this significant subject!

I believe this confusion of speaking in tongues began with churches that spoke and prayed in unknown tongues (gibberish utterings) which were NEVER Scriptural!!!

God willing, I will write an OP titled, "What is Speaking in Tongues and the significance of it."

ATTENTION! @St. SteVen, the OP will also be for your benefit in response to post #101.

To God Be The Glory

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like some bizarre happenings ….It makes me wonder if these people ever read 1 Corinthians 14 which clearly sets the proper order of tongues and prophecy in group meetings (church). They seem to break all the doctrinal rules laid out in that chapter.

When I first spoke in tongues….I had never heard it done nor heard of it….I just read a section of a book (called Power in Praise) that said it was available to all believers …..so I did it…..Afterwards in trying to learn more about it ….someone pointed me to Assembly of God Church, which displayed some of what you described, and more …. Although I didn’t know much of the Bible at the time… I knew it was “off” and I left because one of the verses I did know was that…. all things should be done decently and in order. [1Co 14:40]

What surprises me is that (after your experiences) you are still curious about tongues, many others would brush it off …. I think the reason I never did after some of the things I went through in the beginning, was my experience, which was unmistakably of God. ….So, any of the goofy, off the Word things I saw people do, didn’t faze me…..The same night I spoke in tongues I went out around 1am and found some friends at a laundry mat …told them what I had done ….got them to accept Christ and they spoke in tongues. It took a few years of Bible research to get through misconceptions of what people had to say about it… and learn the truths of what the Bible had to say.

I left a link in post #128 of this thread which gives the benefits of tongues….and here are a couple more post I did from a site. Manifestation not Gift and How to ……….if you are interested.
If tongues is a gift, it doesn't need to be taught.
And nowhere in the Bible is it taught to people..

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If tongues is a gift, it doesn't need to be taught.
And nowhere in the Bible is it taught to people..
Unbelief can limit miracles.
Even Jesus was limited in his miracles in his own hometown due to unbelief.

Those who don't believe in tongues may be part of the problem.

Reactions: amadeus

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
problem related to praying in tongues

Matthew 6:6
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Matt 26:36
Then Jesus came with them to a garden called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples: "Sit down here while I go and pray yonder."

Source: Search: "pray garden"

Praying like in Pentecostal / Charismatic Churches violates the teaching of Jesus above.
So the disciples were all sinners on the Day of Pentecost? Get real!

That has to do with praying to be looked on as special. Its against prideful displays.

When Pentecostals lift up praise to God as a choir in tongues as they did on the Day of Pentecost, no one is listening to each other.

• Love