problem related to praying in tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're being funny, right?
Oftentimes I am.
My posts have been very clear, and especially the YouTube video I put up by a concerned Charismatic that revealed the 'gibberish' tongue associated with eastern religion's Kundalini cults.
That's ridiculous. You are suffering from culture shock.
Nothing like that is going on at my churches.

But why would you limit the Holy Spirit? Culture shock?
You may claim it is not from God, but how do you know that?
Because it has never happened at your church?
If one who claims to speak an "unknown tongue" that cannot be understood by all present, then that... is the false gibberish tongue from the devil.
From the devil?
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is attributing the work of God to Satan.
Are you sure you want to go there?
That's what demon possession is like, uncontrollably rolling around the floor, barking like an animal, etc.
You know nothing of demon possession. (or deliverance) As far as I can tell.

If I told you that I thought I had a demon, what would you do to help me?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oftentimes I am.

That's ridiculous. You are suffering from culture shock.
Nothing like that is going on at my churches.
Charismatic Andrew Strom in his video revealed those same type 'uncontrollable' manifestations happening in those Churches as the SAME type manifestations that happen among eastern religions (like Hinduism in the video).

So if those manifestations showing people out of control, making animal noises, uncontrollable movements, etc., were truly of The Holy Spirit, then WHY... are those SAME... manifestations happening in OTHER RELIGIONS, like Hinduism, yogi's, etc., as per that video evidence???

Are we Christians to believe that eastern religions have Christ and The Holy Spirit too, and is another 'WAY' to be saved?

Eastern religions like Hinduism call those spirit manifestation being produced by the name KUNDALINI. They believe there is a Kundalini spirit that one can 'attune' to that will flow through one's body and give a religious experience. But that is NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT. It is of ANOTHER SPIRIT.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charismatic Andrew Strom in his video revealed those same type 'uncontrollable' manifestations happening in those Churches as the SAME type manifestations that happen among eastern religions (like Hinduism in the video).
Granted, this is very controversial.
So if those manifestations showing people out of control, making animal noises, uncontrollable movements, etc., were truly of The Holy Spirit, then WHY... are those SAME... manifestations happening in OTHER RELIGIONS, like Hinduism, yogi's, etc., as per that video evidence???
Is it a counterfeit? Or did Satan create something new?

This is actually not a new thing in Christianity. Have you heard of the Shakers? Known for their uncontrollable shaking.
The historic revivals were known for rather bizzare manifestations as well. Was that God, or something else?
Are we Christians to believe that eastern religions have Christ and The Holy Spirit too, and is another 'WAY' to be saved?
Why would anyone conclude that?
Eastern religions like Hinduism call those spirit manifestation being produced by the name KUNDALINI. They believe there is a Kundalini spirit that one can 'attune' to that will flow through one's body and give a religious experience. But that is NOT THE HOLY SPIRIT. It is of ANOTHER SPIRIT.
So, what is your solution?
To quench the Holy Spirit because someone went too far in your opinion?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what demon possession is like, uncontrollably rolling around the floor, barking like an animal, etc.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Granted, this is very controversial.

Is it a counterfeit? Or did Satan create something new?

This is actually not a new thing in Christianity. Have you heard of the Shakers? Known for their uncontrollable shaking.
The historic revivals were known for rather bizzare manifestations as well. Was that God, or something else?

Why would anyone conclude that?

So, what is your solution?
To quench the Holy Spirit because someone went too far in your opinion?
I don't see it as being controversial, with that word suggesting that such spirit manifestations might at some point be acceptable to Christianity.

Those manifestations Andrew Strom showed in his video are the devil's work.

There's been various churches that have claimed a lot things were from The Holy Spirit, just about anything unusual. Lot of peoples put their trust in those manifestations over and beyond what Bible Scripture actually teaches, so they are easily deceived. It's even worse in foreign countries of paganism.

So when a church has spirit manifestations in it that ALIGN with NON-CHRISTIAN pagan religions in other countries, like the Hinduism examples which Andrew Strom showed in his video, that is a major signal that those manifestations in those churches are NOT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, but of another spirit entirely. God called those false kind of churches 'beth'avens' in the Old Testament, which 'beth' means 'House' and 'aven' means 'Vanity', and thus 'House of Vanity'. The TRUE name under God in the Old Testament is 'Beth-El', meaning 'House of God'.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are really... just speculating and phishing.

Those spirit manifestations in Andrew Strom's video are of ANOTHER SPIRIT, and NOT from The Holy Spirit. There is NO Holy Spirit working among pagan religions. So those SAME spirit manifestations shown in those beth-aven churches SHOULD NOT BE LIKE those in pagan religions, which Andrew Strom showed! Now if you cannot see the difference, or don't want to see the difference, then may God help you.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure if someone of a different language was there to understand it then it's OK.

The apostles spoke the gospel to the crowds in Jerusalem, and what they said could be understood by people speaking many different languages: “… we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” Acts 2:11. What does the Bible say about speaking in tongues?

You also need to read the context, which I already posted that God is not the author of confusion.
The Day of Pentecost did not contradict the Word of God as you and many others think!

1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Can you think of a "hearing" gift in 1 Corinthians 12 4:9 that would enable all those devout Jews of different languages to ALL be able understand THEM (that's like a 120 member choir) supernaturally? Because this is how that gift operates and those with that gifts can understand and give the supernatural interpretation. You are focusing on "speaking" and not the key word "hear." That is like three disciples speaking French, English and Japanese, and a German hears them speaking German, And a Russian hears them speaking Russian. The Spirit of God who is in charge of His gifts can even draw someone to Christ by this experience, which happened that day when 3,000 were baptized. I saw this happen in Arizona when someone heard God speak to her by hearing someone praying in tongues over her and she heard only English!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Now you are really... just speculating and phishing.
I see.
If you knew anything about demons you would said something.
Call it what you want. I'll let the readers decide.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes this is true. Prayer is personal. Prayer does not make things happen like praying for a car park at the shopping center. This is fallacy.

We pray when we are defeated.
pray asking the Holy Spirit and Jesus to pray with you Romans 8, you will rarely be defeated.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question, thanks.
Warfare prayer in the Spirit gives us "eyes" into the unseen realm.
The Holy Spirit intercedes for us using the PERFECT words to defeat the enemy.

Romans 8:26 NIV
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.
We do not know what we ought to pray for,
but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

Ephesians 6:12 NIV
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the rulers, against the authorities,
against the powers of this dark world and
against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
thank you

Reactions: St. SteVen

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That actually works for me. - LOL
No way to prove it though, I suppose. However...

My position is that God cares about the little things too. I ask God to walk with me during my day,
The very hairs on my head are all numbered. A sparrow does not fall without his notice. (Luke 12:6-7)
I park as far from the buildings as I can which has given me time to discuss Jesus with strangers.

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This battle against tongues comes from the Cessationist position on tongues.
As soon as someone starts talking about "sign gifts", you can be pretty certain they have fallen prey to that position.

There would be no need for all the instruction we have about spiritual gifts
(manifestations of the Spirit) if they were not for us to use today.

The end of first Corinthians chapter twelve refers to the gifts as body parts.
The Cessationists are turning the Body of Christ into an amputee!
When I discuss this topic it is to sort out the real from the fake. For example LDS aka Mormons spoke in tongues when they first got started. Teaching that God is only an exalted man clearly shows their "tongues" was not of God. Same is true for other cults too.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@The Learner

Has this discussion helped you to gain a better understanding of tongues and their use?
Your OP asked a valid question. Why public tongues if Jesus commanded us to pray in private? (not in public, like the Pharisees)

The key seems to be, not LIKE the pharisees. The public aspect is not the issue.
The "to be seen of men" is the issue. IMHO
Self-aggrandizement.
Yes, I have learned some like iron sharping iron.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's deconstruct that statement, if you don't mind.

Two sides of an issue both claim to have the truth, but who is right?
Essentially, who has the truth? (I question the validity of the question)
It assumes that we can know the truth as a SINGULAR item.
Thus being in a position to identify and discard ALL that is "false".

Being raised evangelical, this exclusive view of "truth" was part and parcel.
We HAD the truth, everything else was false.

Now I find that we were wrong about many things.
What does that indicate about the exclusive truth claim?
Certainly wasn't air-tight.
When looking at positions, I start with both positions can be partly wrong or completely wrong and search for the correct where I can find it from how scriptures are used. If a text is out of context like
1 Corinthians 13:10
Easy-to-Read Version
10 But when perfection comes, the things that are not complete will end.
Then I know that position falls short in the long run.
I know that John wrote about when the end comes:
1 John 3:2
King James Version
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
1 John 3:2
Easy-to-Read Version
2 Dear friends, now we are children of God. We have not yet been shown what we will be in the future. But we know that when Christ comes again, we will be like him. We will see him just as he is.

And, it is not a closed Cannon.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. We know that much.
And I don't question the account, I just wonder how it was written.
Jesus was there, likely some of his disciples like Jesus' family members or someone who knew them or someone who came to Jesus later was there. Gamaliel may have been there is possible, but not known for sure...

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup. Laughter is GOOD medicine.
I joke often with my pals at work.

I had a dream the other night that I went to heaven.
(that's how I knew it was a dream) - LOL
Anyway...

They put me to work right away.
I was at a grill, flipping burgers. To my amazement,
Jesus walked up with his plate ready for a burger.
I asked him how he liked it. He looked a bit puzzled, and then replied.
"Well done, my good and faithful servant."
I had a nightmare once that I was doing group marriages like the moonies do. I also, dreamed that I had five wives and hid anywhere I could.

• Haha

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so curious how does one know they interpreting what is being said in tongues the right thing. next why should one speak in tongues then someone interpret what was said . i have been in meetings like this personally i got nothing out of it. i am not against tongues /other languages... but i have to wonder is the tongues used today .the same Bibibcal tongues spoke in the Bible. if one wants pray in tongues so be it
I once at a meeting and I heard someone speak a language I know. He was cursing God and I knew that he knew the language, he was speaking. I grabbed a bull horn went over to him and confronted him for swearing at Jesus. He went into a Coma. Days later at the Hospital some Elders and myself were there when he came out of it. We told him it was time to repent and give his life to Jesus which he did.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I discuss this topic it is to sort out the real from the fake. For example LDS aka Mormons spoke in tongues when they first got started. Teaching that God is only an exalted man clearly shows their "tongues" was not of God. Same is true for other cults too.
Not sure if we can arrive at that conclusion based on the facts.
All doctrine is man-made, and prone to error to one degree or another.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States