Proclaiming the Word Means?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘The word’ proclaimed uses the definite article; it is specific to Jesus being the Messiah in Acts 18:5. It is not a question of what I or anyone else believes.

If there are all these different ‘The word’ proclaimed verses, then it becomes confusing. That is why I am asking a fact based question. Are there any other verses that proclaim ‘the word’ means anything other than Jesus is the Messiah?

Paul's proclaiming (preaching, testifying, devoted to) the word (the truth, the gospel, the exact expression and illumination of God who is Jesus, the good news, the solution to the world's penalty of death, our salvation ), was what his mission was everywhere he traveled and all that he wrote _ until he died.
Paul testified to the Jews that Jesus was their Messiah, by using Old Testament scriptures and varifying thatJesus fulfilled hundreds. The Gentiles needed more than that. They weren't familiar with the scriptures containg the Law and the Prophets, nor were these Hebrew scriptures important to them prior to this time; so obviously a different approach was used. He preached Christ crucified, about His miracles performed, His teachings and resurrection and ascension witnessed by over 500 people.
Jesus is the WORD.
In the begginning was the WORD and the WORD was with GOD and tue WORD was GOD... the WORD became flesh and dwelt among us.
Capisce?

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘The word’ proclaimed uses the definite article; it is specific to Jesus being the Messiah in Acts 18:5. It is not a question of what I or anyone else believes.

If there are all these different ‘The word’ proclaimed verses, then it becomes confusing. That is why I am asking a fact based question. Are there any other verses that proclaim ‘the word’ means anything other than Jesus is the Messiah?

I see Wrangler, I thought you were referring to the word as the message, not the title Jesus was referred to in Jn 1:1. The reason Jesus was given that title was because he is God's chief spokesman sir.
(Exodus 23:20, 21) . . .“I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you on the way and to bring you into the place that I have prepared. 21 Pay attention to him, and obey his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not pardon your transgressions, because my name is in him.

(John 14:24) . . .The word that you are hearing is not mine, but belongs to the Father who sent me.

There are several other verses where we believe that it was likely the Word who was sent to speak for Jehovah as well:
Ge 16:7-11; 22:11; 31:11; Ex 3:2-5; Jg 2:1-4; 6:11, 12; 13:3

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul testified to the Jews that Jesus was their Messiah, by using Old Testament scriptures and varifying thatJesus fulfilled hundreds.
Not sure why you are repeating what was already said. The question is, is there a Biblical verse that states proclaiming the word means anything other than that Jesus is the Messiah? Yes or No will suffice. If Yes, please provide those verses. Thanks!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see Wrangler, I thought you were referring to the word as the message, not the title Jesus was referred to in Jn 1:1.
Jesus was not referred to in Jn 1:1. Jesus is not introduced until v14.

I realize there is a difference between accuracy and precision. When people generally say, they were 'proclaiming the word' it can generally be taken to mean the word of God, to Scripture. At church we often say, let's read God's word and it is not limited to quotes by Jesus. But I'm asking specifically. Acts 18:5 specifically says 'proclaiming the word' is to say Jesus is the Messiah. Is there any verse in Scripture that says 'proclaiming the word' is to say anything other than specifically that Jesus is the Messiah?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason Jesus was given that title was because he is God's chief spokesman sir.
(Exodus 23:20, 21) . . .“I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you on the way and to bring you into the place that I have prepared. 21 Pay attention to him, and obey his voice.
This is an example of why it is hard to talk to you. Jesus is specifically said to not be an angel in Hebrews and here you directly contradict Scripture AND read into text what is not there.

This is just another verse that does not refer to Jesus (but an angel) but you are imposing that onto the text.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure why you are repeating what was already said. The question is, is there a Biblical verse that states proclaiming the word means anything other than that Jesus is the Messiah? Yes or No will suffice. If Yes, please provide those verses. Thanks!
I told already, the entire NT ( the WORD) proclaims who Jesus is.
You are stuck. You are in denial that Jesus is God.
3056 [e]
logō
λόγῳ
word

Logo/logos appears 330 times in 316 verses.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told already, the entire NT ( the WORD) proclaims who Jesus is.

Talk about avoiding the specific by going to the general! Acts 18:5 specifically proclaims ‘the word’ is that Jesus is the Messiah, period.

I’m not interested in generalities but specifics. If there is another verse where proclaiming ‘the word’ specifically means something other than that Jesus is the Messiah, don’t be stingy. Please share. Thanks!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talk about avoiding the specific by going to the general! Acts 18:5 specifically proclaims ‘the word’ is that Jesus is the Messiah, period.

I’m not interested in generalities but specifics. If there is another verse where proclaiming ‘the word’ specifically means something other than that Jesus is the Messiah, don’t be stingy. Please share. Thanks!
Logos
noun
Lo·gos ˈlō-ˌgäs
-ˌgōs

pluralLogoi ˈlō-ˌgȯi
: the divine wisdom manifest in the creation, government, and redemption of the world and often identified with the second person of the Trinity
2. reason that in ancient Greek philosophy is the controlling principle in the universe

All things were created by Him, through Him and for Him. In Him all things consist (held together).
Logos is Jesus, the Son of God, the Savior, Who is the fullness of God's love, grace, glory, wisdom, truth, life and power for salvation.
I am proclaimming this to you Wrangler. This is what the Apostles proclaimed and the Church ( well 97 % of it) for almost two thousand years.

Strong's Greek: 3056. λόγος (logos) -- a word (as embodying an idea), a statement, a speech

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was not referred to in Jn 1:1. Jesus is not introduced until v14.

I realize there is a difference between accuracy and precision. When people generally say, they were 'proclaiming the word' it can generally be taken to mean the word of God, to Scripture. At church we often say, let's read God's word and it is not limited to quotes by Jesus. But I'm asking specifically. Acts 18:5 specifically says 'proclaiming the word' is to say Jesus is the Messiah. Is there any verse in Scripture that says 'proclaiming the word' is to say anything other than specifically that Jesus is the Messiah?

Jesus is the Word sir. Yes, the message is the reason Jesus came primarily. He said:
(Luke 4:43) . . .“I must also declare the good news of the Kingdom of God to other cities, because for this I was sent.”

He said: (Matthew 10:7) . . .As you go, preach, saying: ‘The Kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.. . .

He assigned: Matthew 28:19-20  Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Teaching others all the things Jesus commanded is proclaiming the Word Wrangler.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an example of why it is hard to talk to you. Jesus is specifically said to not be an angel in Hebrews and here you directly contradict Scripture AND read into text what is not there.

This is just another verse that does not refer to Jesus (but an angel) but you are imposing that onto the text.

We believe that spokesman for God was the Word most likely Wrangler. What Scripture does that contradict sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can say what you want but that is not what Scripture says per Acts 18:5 or what the OP question is

You asked what proclaiming the word is, that is proclaiming all the things Jesus' taught as I stated earlier. The Bible is more than 1 Verse sir, if you think the entire Kingdom message is about identifying the Messiah, you are missing out on a bunch.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most likely? I’m asking about facts of the matter and for some reason you are answering with probabilities. ???

I cannot prove the identity of the angel sent, nor can you disprove it. Most everyone who claims to be Christian will openly state that the Word of Jn 1:1 is Jesus. I have never ever heard of anyone who did not think he was. This is a first for me Wrangler.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You asked what proclaiming the word is, that is proclaiming all the things Jesus' taught as I stated earlier. The Bible is more than 1 Verse sir, if you think the entire Kingdom message is about identifying the Messiah, you are missing out on a bunch.
Scope. This is not an unfocused thread. This thread is only focused explicit text identifying what ‘proclaiming the word’ means.

It is not intended to have anything to do with the price of tea in China, all the teachings of a philosopher, prophet or theologian. Why can’t you understand that?

I am asking about Apples and you keep wanting to talk about fruit. I recognize they are related. You do not have to keep on like a broken record. I’m only interested in facts about the Apple, explicit text identifying what ‘proclaiming the word’ means.

If you cannot answer my specific question, that’s OK. Maybe Acts 18:5 is the only Biblical meaning. I can live with 1 verse fully answering the question. Can you?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot prove the identity of the angel sent, nor can you disprove it. Most everyone who claims to be Christian will openly state that the Word of Jn 1:1 is Jesus. I have never ever heard of anyone who did not think he was. This is a first for me Wrangler.
Good for you having a 1st time experience! :D

The burden is not on me to disprove anything. Those who claim Jesus was an angel are merely projecting their doctrine onto text. If the good lord above thought it was important for us to know the identity of the angel, he would have explicitly told us. He has the capacity to communicate with his creations very directly. For instance, it was the angel Gabriel who announced what John and Jesus' mission was to their parents. Another example is in Hebrews directly telling us Jesus is NOT an angel. Don't you think it is a little silly to impose an interpretation onto ambiguous Scripture that contradicts explicit Scripture?

Regarding the unanimous claim that John 1:1 refers to Jesus, it is sad that you never considered NOT imposing trinitarian doctrine onto unitarian text. Reference my thread about Houtos means "This." John 1:1 does not even mention Jesus. Language usage. If I say, "I had to go grocery shopping. This is why I am late to the party." The "this" in the sentence does not refer to a person, like the cash register clerk at the grocery store named Jose. "This" refers to the previous sentence, of the action of going grocery shopping. So, it is with John 1:2.
In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 This existed in the beginning with God.

Otherwise, v 2 makes no sense substituing 'this' for he. IF houtos was literally God as it says in v1c, it makes no sense that houtas was with God in v 1b and v2.

NOTE: We are told twice - in v1b and v2 - that the word was with God. Such emphasis in 2 consecutive verses in very rare in Scripture. "With" God must be literal and 'was God' must be figurative because words are WHAT's not WHO's. (And houtas is the Greek word for "this" not 'he.')

However, when properly translating houtos to "this," referring to 'the word' in v1, then v2 makes perfect sense. And what is 'the word' according to Acts 18:5? The unfolding of the divine plan; It is God's plan for Jesus to be the Messiah. Like GE 1:1, God said it and it was so - regarding literal light, in GE 1:1 and the figurative light of the door opening between us and God in John 1:1 through his chosen servant, our lord Jesus, yet to be introduced in John's prologue.

Perhaps the baby step for you to take is to recognize that every use of the word 'word' in Scripture does not refer to Jesus.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scope. This is not an unfocused thread. This thread is only focused explicit text identifying what ‘proclaiming the word’ means.

It is not intended to have anything to do with the price of tea in China, all the teachings of a philosopher, prophet or theologian. Why can’t you understand that?

I am asking about Apples and you keep wanting to talk about fruit. I recognize they are related. You do not have to keep on like a broken record. I’m only interested in facts about the Apple, explicit text identifying what ‘proclaiming the word’ means.

If you cannot answer my specific question, that’s OK. Maybe Acts 18:5 is the only Biblical meaning. I can live with 1 verse fully answering the question. Can you?

As I stated originally Wrangler, in this case Paul was addressing the issue of what they needed, to know beyond a doubt that Jesus was the Christ sir. And as we continued to evolve, how that is just a small proclamation of the bigger picture. I seriously doubt that anyone we speak to today who has any respect for God fails to recognize Jesus is the Messiah.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good for you having a 1st time experience! :D

The burden is not on me to disprove anything. Those who claim Jesus was an angel are merely projecting their doctrine onto text. If the good lord above thought it was important for us to know the identity of the angel, he would have explicitly told us. He has the capacity to communicate with his creations very directly. For instance, it was the angel Gabriel who announced what John and Jesus' mission was to their parents. Another example is in Hebrews directly telling us Jesus is NOT an angel. Don't you think it is a little silly to impose an interpretation onto ambiguous Scripture that contradicts explicit Scripture?

Regarding the unanimous claim that John 1:1 refers to Jesus, it is sad that you never considered NOT imposing trinitarian doctrine onto unitarian text. Reference my thread about Houtos means "This." John 1:1 does not even mention Jesus. Language usage. If I say, "I had to go grocery shopping. This is why I am late to the party." The "this" in the sentence does not refer to a person, like the cash register clerk at the grocery store named Jose. "This" refers to the previous sentence, of the action of going grocery shopping. So, it is with John 1:2.
In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God,
and the Word was God.
2 This existed in the beginning with God.

Otherwise, v 2 makes no sense substituing 'this' for he. IF houtos was literally God as it says in v1c, it makes no sense that houtas was with God in v 1b and v2.

NOTE: We are told twice - in v1b and v2 - that the word was with God. Such emphasis in 2 consecutive verses in very rare in Scripture. "With" God must be literal and 'was God' must be figurative because words are WHAT's not WHO's. (And houtas is the Greek word for "this" not 'he.')

However, when properly translating houtos to "this," referring to 'the word' in v1, then v2 makes perfect sense. And what is 'the word' according to Acts 18:5? The unfolding of the divine plan; It is God's plan for Jesus to be the Messiah. Like GE 1:1, God said it and it was so - regarding literal light, in GE 1:1 and the figurative light of the door opening between us and God in John 1:1 through his chosen servant, our lord Jesus, yet to be introduced in John's prologue.

Perhaps the baby step for you to take is to recognize that every use of the word 'word' in Scripture does not refer to Jesus.

Just what do you think Jesus is in his heavenly form? Both the Hebrew mal·ʼakhʹ and the Greek agʹge·los literally mean “messenger.” From the first book of the Bible to the last, these words occur nearly 400 times. When spirit messengers are indicated, the words are translated “angels,” but if the reference definitely is to human creatures, the rendering is “messengers.” (Ge 16:7; 32:3; Jas 2:25; Re 22:8) However, in the highly symbolic book of Revelation certain references to ‘angels’ may apply to human creatures.—Re 2:1, 8, 12, 18; 3:1, 7, 14.

Angels are sometimes termed spirits; that which is spirit is invisible and powerful. Thus we read: “A spirit came out and stood before Jehovah”; “Are they not all spirits for public service?” (1Ki 22:21; Heb 1:14) Having invisible spiritual bodies, they make their abode “in the heavens.” (Mr 12:25; 1Co 15:44, 50) They are also termed “sons of the true God,” “morning stars,” and “holy myriads” (or “holy ones”).—Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7; De 33:2.

Jesus is the chief messenger of Jehovah sir.