Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think whether it's a warning or an encouragement depends on the listener...
The prophets spoke the very words of God. This was objective truth, not subjective ("depends on the listener"). As you go through the prophets in the OT, you will find:

1. Warnings and predicted judgments
2. Encouragement for those who would repent or remain faithful
3. Revelations of future events -- very near and very far
4. Fluidity -- events separated by long intervals of time appear to be together.
5. Plain statements about the wrath of God against sin and sinners

D

Dave L

Since this is your level of faith then no one can prove otherwise...only the Holy Spirit can guide into that truth.
Prophecy is God speaking. Are you sure you want to believe the next person with an idea is God speaking?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The prophets spoke the very words of God. This was objective truth, not subjective ("depends on the listener"). As you go through the prophets in the OT, you will find:

1. Warnings and predicted judgments
2. Encouragement for those who would repent or remain faithful
3. Revelations of future events -- very near and very far
4. Fluidity -- events separated by long intervals of time appear to be together.
5. Plain statements about the wrath of God against sin and sinners

Are there Prophets today?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy is God speaking. Are you sure you want to believe the next person with an idea is God speaking?
What difference is believing a person saying God gave them a word for you and believing a preacher or teacher of God's word through their own interpretation? How do you know what you have been taught to believe is true? Can the Bible alone be all that is required? If this is true then every single denomination today is a false church because none of them follow the example of Christ in its entirety.

Furthermore, any church that has a doctrine written and established by man is violating His Word which says to not follow the doctrines of men.

Let me explain….if the Bible alone is all that is required then even the wicked wise men of the world would comprehend it.
Scripture tells us the Spirit of Truth is our guide to comprehending it.
Tools
Verse page
'>John 14:26
Verse Concepts
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Tools
Verse page
'>John 16:13-14

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

What difference is believing a person saying God gave them a word for you and believing a preacher or teacher of God's word through their own interpretation? How do you know what you have been taught to believe is true? Can the Bible alone be all that is required? If this is true then every single denomination today is a false church because none of them follow the example of Christ in its entirety.

Furthermore, any church that has a doctrine written and established by man is violating His Word which says to not follow the doctrines of men.

Let me explain….if the Bible alone is all that is required then even the wicked wise men of the world would comprehend it.
Scripture tells us the Spirit of Truth is our guide to comprehending it.
Tools
Verse page
'>John 14:26
Verse Concepts
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Tools
Verse page
'>John 16:13-14

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.
1) Peter said scripture is superior than hearing God himself speak audibly. 2) And scripture is not subject to a prophet's own interpretation as it was in the first century. Here's the reference:

we ourselves heard this very voice borne from heaven, for we were with him on the holy mountain. And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.” (2 Peter 1:18–20) (ESV)

Furthermore, the prophetic gifts ceased with the apostles who passed them out.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A warning is the best encouragement of all. It's a road sign sayin "danger ahead, alter your ways". God gives different rebukes depending upon the spirit of the receiver.

Dealing with a son you'd rather give a word. If the word is not enough then a blow. God knows which blow. As to Paul "it will be hard for you to kick against the goads".

Once in a busy airport I prophesied to a total stranger. As I sat waiting for my plane home I realized the Holy Spirit was telling me about a man I'd been watching. I went to him and told him what God had to say. The last thing I said to him was "I've spoken what the Lord has to say, your blood is not on my hands" He shook his head and remarked that another steanger had told him the exact thing. This was indeed a rebuke but one to save his life. The highest form of encouragement. Old testament rebukes were attempts to save the stubborn people from their own destructive ways.

D

Dave L

A warning is the best encouragement of all. It's a road sign sayin "danger ahead, alter your ways". God gives different rebukes depending upon the spirit of the receiver.

Dealing with a son you'd rather give a word. If the word is not enough then a blow. God knows which blow. As to Paul "it will be hard for you to kick against the goads".

Once in a busy airport I prophesied to a total stranger. As I sat waiting for my plane home I realized the Holy Spirit was telling me about a man I'd been watching. I went to him and told him what God had to say. The last thing I said to him was "I've spoken what the Lord has to say, your blood is not on my hands" He shook his head and remarked that another steanger had told him the exact thing. This was indeed a rebuke but one to save his life. The highest form of encouragement. Old testament rebukes were attempts to save the stubborn people from their own destructive ways.
Do you think this led him to Christ?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dave, what is the function of a Pastor, biblically speaking? no need for a long explination. I'll help you out, Jer 3:15

knowing that, is an apostle a Pastor?

Everyone one knows that Paul was an apostle. well he also held all the ordained titles in the church.
1Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

these functions in the body of Christ are ordained by God. in the very next chapter Paul identifies himself as a pastor and prophet. scripture,
1Cor 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Cor 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

here in this scripture 1Cor 13:2, the apostle tells us that 1. he's a prophet. "And though I have the gift of prophecy". that's what prophets do, but not only in Prophesying future events but TEACH and PREACH.

and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge. here, clearly the apostle tells us that he's a PASTOR. scripture, Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. there it is, "knowledge" and "understanding".

so the apostle is a 1. prophet, 2. Pastor. what about the third ordained title of TEACHER?. let the bible speak, 1Cor 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church".

there it is, the apostle is also a "TEACHER".

now, if one have spiritual eyes attuned to these scriptures that was given here, a big, and I mean a big revelation is standing before your very eyes.

those who have eyes to see, let them see.

PICYJAG

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are there Prophets today?
Short answer: NO.

The book of Revelation brought the gift of prophecy and all genuine prophecies to an end, as Paul said they would (1 Cor 13:8). Now we have a complete and SUFFICIENT Bible -- the written Word of God (2 Tim 3:16,17).

Which does not mean that there are no bogus or false prophets around. It simply means that we are to listen to what the Lord has already said: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. (Mt 24:11)

The apostles have given us the marks of false prophets throughout the NT. They are also described in the OT. They existed in the first century and they exist today.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Short answer: NO.

The book of Revelation brought the gift of prophecy and all genuine prophecies to an end, as Paul said they would (1 Cor 13:8). Now we have a complete and SUFFICIENT Bible -- the written Word of God (2 Tim 3:16,17).

Which does not mean that there are no bogus or false prophets around. It simply means that we are to listen to what the Lord has already said: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. (Mt 24:11)

The apostles have given us the marks of false prophets throughout the NT. They are also described in the OT. They existed in the first century and they exist today.
I agree with you in many ways...but this I have to disagree with...if Jesus is alive and well and lives in us today and He was called a prophet then how can there be no such thing as prophets today? The Holy Spirit indwelling in us is constantly speaking to us and through us in scripture as well as in dreams and visions and prophetic words. But once again, if this has not been something the Holy Spirit has opened your eyes to than nothing I can say will change your mind.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if Jesus is alive and well and lives in us today and He was called a prophet then how can there be no such thing as prophets today?
1. Being a prophet was a specific calling, even though many prophets (including Moses) did not believe they were equipped for this.

JEREMIAH 1
4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

Therefore not every saint was a prophet either in the OT or in the NT.

2. The spiritual gift of prophecy was not given to all as Paul makes it crystal clear: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues...Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? (1 Cor 12:10,29) The answer to that rhetorical question is "Of course not".

3. Paul specifically stated that when "that which is complete (translated as perfect) is come, then that which is in part shall be done away" (1 Cor 13:10). This was in connection with the completion of the Scriptures, therefore he said this: ...but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;[cease] whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.[cease] (v. 8).

4. John specifically stated that no one was to add to the prophecies of Revelation, which was the final book of the Bible:... If any man shall add unto these things, [the prophecies contained herein] God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book (Rev 22:18)

5. The writings of the Apostolic Fathers (the church leaders who came after the apostles) never once made any claim to be prophetic. This was immediately after the apostles passed away. That is conclusive proof that the spiritual gift of prophecy (divine revelation) had come to an end.

In view of this, the indwelling Christ within believers has no bearing on the gift of prophecy. There are plenty of other spiritual gifts to be exercised and the world and churches desperately need genuine evangelists, pastors, ad teachers. Also, since God recognizes only twelve apostles of the Lamb (Rev 21:14), so that gift is no longer in force either. Therefore those talking about the "Five-Fold Ministry" are deceiving Christians.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3. Paul specifically stated that when "that which is complete (translated as perfect) is come, then that which is in part will be done away" (1 cor 13:10). This was in connection with the completion of the Scriptures, therefore he said this: ...but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;[cease] whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.[cease] (v. 8).

When “that which is perfect has come” is scripture? Ephesians 4:11-13
[11] And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: [13] Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

When “that which is perfect comes”...wouldn’t that be the ‘fulness’ ‘complete’ full stature of Christ. (Not individually but as a body joined)?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When “that which is perfect has come” is scripture? Ephesians 4:11-13
[11] And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [12] For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: [13] Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

When “that which is perfect comes”...wouldn’t that be the ‘fulness’ ‘complete’ full stature of Christ. (Not individually but as a body joined)?
It's a quotation from 1 Corinthians 13; and some commentators/preachers do refer to the completion of Scripture.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a quotation from 1 Corinthians 13; and some commentators/preachers do refer to the completion of Scripture.

1 Corinthians 13 is on charity(love) which is Christ(Spirit): The more excellent way. Where does it say scripture is that which is complete and perfect?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In reference to 1 Corinthians 13...
I could read scripture all day long, and without the spirit of God it would profit me nothing.

Christ; that which is perfect and complete: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 [4] Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Reactions: Acolyte