Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When “that which is perfect comes”...wouldn’t that be the ‘fulness’ ‘complete’ full stature of Christ. (Not individually but as a body joined)?
The full stature of Christ (the fulness of Christ) will only be achieved at the Rapture (1 John 3:1-3), and at that point none of the gifts will be required. But Paul singles out three gifts for cessation because they are all connected to divine revelations, primarily prophecies. The writings of the apostles were in this sense also prophetic, so Peter says "we have a MORE SURE WORD of prophecy..."

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where has the idea come from that the job of a prophet today is different than the job of a prophet in the OT?

I've heard it said that the job of a prophet today is to encourage people and build up their trust, but not to warn them when they are going wrong, but that the job of a prophet in the OT was just to warn people when they were going wrong.

I think this might not be true. I think whether it's a warning or an encouragement depends on the listener, on whether they are rebellious or soft hearted, to either not accept or to soak it up.

Thoughts please.

By the way, hello, sorry I have been busy and haven T come in much to say hello for the last month or so. Still busy but will check every morning for your thoughts on this.
My beliefs: prophets are always needed. They always proclaim God's words, which includes the encouraging good things and condemning bad stuff.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My beliefs: prophets are always needed.
That's what the LDS church believes. After all Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, etc. all claimed to speak/write by divine revelation. The real issue is, that if that is true, why is the LDS church at odds with Bible Christianity (and I am not including False Christianity in that)?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church that God established in His Word is the one that has Apostles, prophets, preachers, evangelists and teachers.....each and everyone serves a distinct purpose in the church and also provides support and check points to the teaching of His Word. Prophets today are specifically used by God to expose false prophets and teachers as well as exhort and edify the saints. And as scripture points out it is for the "perfecting" of the saints until we all come into unity of faith. A prophet is subject to a prophet....therefore whatever they prophesy must be confirmed through scripture and by anothers witness of it. Prophets today do not add to Bible prophesy of world events but rather they confirm it.....they speak only what the Holy Spirit speaks through them.

i agree the job of a prophet is both of those things. But what I hear most is the same thing that was in Israel - no a prophet "today" only says pleasant things. (Tell us pleasant things!)

It's no different than before - they marveled at Jesus' gracious words and a second later, at words that should have cut their hearts, they became infuriated.

D

Dave L

Everyone one knows that Paul was an apostle. well he also held all the ordained titles in the church.
1Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

these functions in the body of Christ are ordained by God. in the very next chapter Paul identifies himself as a pastor and prophet. scripture,
1Cor 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Cor 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

here in this scripture 1Cor 13:2, the apostle tells us that 1. he's a prophet. "And though I have the gift of prophecy". that's what prophets do, but not only in Prophesying future events but TEACH and PREACH.

and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge. here, clearly the apostle tells us that he's a PASTOR. scripture, Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. there it is, "knowledge" and "understanding".

so the apostle is a 1. prophet, 2. Pastor. what about the third ordained title of TEACHER?. let the bible speak, 1Cor 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church".

there it is, the apostle is also a "TEACHER".

now, if one have spiritual eyes attuned to these scriptures that was given here, a big, and I mean a big revelation is standing before your very eyes.

those who have eyes to see, let them see.

PICYJAG
An Apostle had to be eye witnesses of Christ's resurrection Acts 1:21–22. Pastors need not be.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saying there are no prophets today is saying that God has nothing else to say to people. Nothing at all. This is nonsense.

The same ones that have nailed prophecy and other spiritual gifts in a denominational doctrinal coffin are the same ones that mock those that say they hear from God. Even though Jesus plainly spoke that his sheep hear his voice they mock.

They mock because truly truly THEY don't hear.

God yet speaks in any manner he chooses. Through prophets or a mule. Through events. Through catastrophic fires. Through crop failures. Through bountiful harvests.

He is God yet those that throw dust into the air and deny his present day speech have changed scripture to suit the untruths they were taught. Yes prophets remain as do all the gifts of the spirit. Saying God is silent and no longer speaks doesn't change the fact that he does.

Living in denial of spiritual truths directly from the bible is the greatest form of blindness. It is sin to deny God the ability to speak in whatever form he chooses. It is saying he is not the same forever. Old things are passed away all things have been made new. Now they rant that the new, the portion of it they don't like, has also passed away.

John 9:40-41 KJVS
And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? [41] Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Never never never do one of these share one thing that the Holy Spirit has ever told them. Never. They use scripture wrongly.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace
D

Dave L

Saying there are no prophets today is saying that God has nothing else to say to people. Nothing at all. This is nonsense.

You are adding to his words, saying the bible is not complete when you say prophets exist today.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An Apostle had to be eye witnesses of Christ's resurrection Acts 1:21–22. Pastors need not be.
that makes no sense, JESUS, the risen Christ, was "SEEN" of Paul, then Saul, in a vision, scripture,
Acts 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision.

are you saying that Paul is NOT an apostle?

D

Dave L

that makes no sense, JESUS, the risen Christ, was "SEEN" of Paul, then Saul, in a vision, scripture,
Acts 26:19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision.

are you saying that Paul is NOT an apostle?
Paul witnessed the risen Christ on the road to Damascus.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:17 KJVS
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't have scripture saying he does.
you ERROR again,
Acts 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace.

that was speaking, now appearing,
Acts 23:11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

D

Dave L

you ERROR again,
Acts 18:9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace.

that was speaking, now appearing,
Acts 23:11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.
Paul was an apostle. There are no apostles today.

D

Dave L

Acts 2:17 KJVS
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Happened. But the charismatic gifts ceased by the time John wrote Revelation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was an apostle. There are no apostles today.
that's your oponion. not God's
supportive scripture,
1Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

now I ask you dave is the churh still here today? yes or No.

D

Dave L

that's your oponion. not God's
supportive scripture,

now I ask you dave is the churh still here today? yes or No.
We have apostles and prophets in the scriptures just as the first century believers did.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happened. But the charismatic gifts ceased by the time John wrote Revelation.
I must disagree with that statement. querstion dave, is the Pastor a gift yes or No?

I'll be looking for your answer.... :)