Random Acts of Kindness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On a lighter note...WWOD (What would Oprah do?)

Is kindness a sin? Can people who have become religious tolerate a person who promotes kindness?

In the city where I live (Montreal) they changed the parking meter system because they were losing money: too many people were putting in money for expired meters for perfect strangers. Why did people do this? Oprah was the reason! ;)

The city was so used to all the tickets that they gave out, and the revenue that provided, that the city workers that gave out those tickets (called the "green onions" here) complained...so that a new way to time the meters (hidden from view) was devised. That's the system in place today. No loose change, just credit cards.

So how could so many people think that helping out strangers was such a worthwhile thing? It was a campaign done by Oprah called "random acts of kindness".

I know many religious types that are threatened by such kindness. For my part, I think it sets a good example. Wanting to help others is good...based on loving your neighbour as yourself. Maybe the good Samaritan's act of kindness towards his neighbour was in some way inspirational...so that someone thought to actually do likewise.

A threat to the modern religious judgmental culture? Let's hope so.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is kindness a sin? Can people who have become religious tolerate a person who promotes kindness?

In the city where I live (Montreal) they changed the parking meter system because they were losing money: too many people were putting in money for expired meters for perfect strangers. Why did people do this? Oprah was the reason! ;)

The city was so used to all the tickets that they gave out, and the revenue that provided, that the city workers that gave out those tickets (called the "green onions" here) complained...so that a new way to time the meters (hidden from view) was devised. That's the system in place today. No loose change, just credit cards.

So how could so many people think that helping out strangers was such a worthwhile thing? It was a campaign done by Oprah called "random acts of kindness".

I know many religious types that are threatened by such kindness. For my part, I think it sets a good example. Wanting to help others is good...based on loving your neighbour as yourself. Maybe the good Samaritan's act of kindness towards his neighbour was in some way inspirational...so that someone thought to actually do likewise.

Yes we are told to love our enemies. And not turn people away. I always have a problem with giving money to heroin addicts because I don't like that my money would go to such a terrible cause. So I don't give them money any more. And perhaps that applies to kindness in general. Luckily we can choose when we decide to be kind or charitable.

On another note is overdraft fees at the bank and credit card late fees. Both are created to make tons of money by the banks. They do have cards that do not allow overdrafts and credit is never a good thing. Borrowing money is not a good practice. I think God would say not to borrow and to just live within your means.

Reactions: Nancy

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First of..can you explain what a religious type is?

Is that Biblical?...or just a man made word?

I’m sure religious is biblical...what does it mean?

Reactions: Wynona

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On another note is overdraft fees at the bank and credit card late fees. Both are created to make tons of money by the banks. They do have cards that do not allow overdrafts and credit is never a good thing. Borrowing money is not a good practice. I think God would say not to borrow and to just live within your means.
Indeed, can you imagine the money they make , when one goes overdrawn..I have an overdraft facility..they’ve taken plenty from me, when I’ve exceeded my amount.

They don’t get a penny out of me now, I woke up to them a while back, thank God.

• Love
Reactions: dev553344

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First of..can you explain what a religious type is?

Is that Biblical?...or just a man made word?

I’m sure religious is biblical...what does it mean?
Religious types are very biblical. Jesus warned such that they needed to repent. The Pharisees saw themselves as champions of God...judging others even as they justified themselves. That trend, toward self-justification...has never been more popular than it is today.

Maybe we could call this...random acts of hypocrisy?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The true Christian church is spelled out in the bible so that anyone can create or follow it. It is a template where no one went without and all shared so that everyone's needs were met. And while I don't see that practiced today for the most part, I do think that churches serve a purpose. But judgmental Christians are everywhere and that seems like a bit of hypocrisy doesn't it.

I honestly think God allows these religions that don't follow the biblical example as sort of a "Your hearts have been hardened with selfishness". This is similar to the doctrine of divorce in the bible spelled out by Christ:

Matthew 19:7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?” 8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The true Christian church is spelled out in the bible so that anyone can create or follow it. It is a template where no one went without and all shared so that everyone's needs were met. And while I don't see that practiced today for the most part, I do think that churches serve a purpose. But judgmental Christians are everywhere and that seems like a bit of hypocrisy doesn't it.

I honestly think God allows these religions that don't follow the biblical example as sort of a "Your hearts have been hardened with selfishness". This is similar to the doctrine of divorce in the bible spelled out by Christ:

Matthew 19:7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?” 8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
One could ask...why did God allow the rise of another world religion (Islam) AFTER the coming of Christ? Christianity was supposed to solve the problem of religion...not jump on the same bandwagon. But men are men...and people will get things wrong. And that error will become so common-place that actual sound doctrine will be seen as strange.

Truly, I think that God allowed Islam to come into being to show up the lawlessness (iniquity) that Christianity had fallen into. So then Islam is God's judgment against His church. We shouldn't be surprised at this. God has always disciplined His people.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Religious types are very biblical. Jesus warned such that they needed to repent. The Pharisees saw themselves as champions of God...judging others even as they justified themselves. That trend, toward self-justification...has never been more popular than it is today.

Maybe we could call this...random acts of hypocrisy?
Thanks for that information Epi, I must research that more.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for that Dev, very interesting.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One could ask...why did God allow the rise of another world religion (Islam) AFTER the coming of Christ? Christianity was supposed to solve the problem of religion...not jump on the same bandwagon. But men are men...and people will get things wrong. And that error will become so common-place that actual sound doctrine will be seen as strange.

Truly, I think that God allowed Islam to come into being to show up the lawlessness (iniquity) that Christianity had fallen into. So then Islam is God's judgment against His church. We shouldn't be surprised at this. God has always disciplined His people.
Interesting view. I have noticed that the countries that are mainly Islam have the most natural disasters. Or at least it seems so. But to think they are a force against weakening Christian values is another concept entirely.

I know that God destroys the wicked after a long suffering wait and going to the Christians to turn them to righteousness. And I think that even works for non Christians in this age:

Acts 2:17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams. 18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy.

Malachi 4:6 And he will turn The hearts of the fathers to the children, And the hearts of the children to their fathers, Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”

God is slow to anger and has much patience in long suffering and works thru his Holy Spirit to keep from destroying the wicked, to give them every change.

I know he works thru people to stop the wicked and their evil approach and takeover.

Gives me something to think about.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting view. I have noticed that the countries that are mainly Islam have the most natural disasters. Or at least it seems so. But to think they are a force against weakening Christian values is another concept entirely.

I know that God destroys the wicked after a long suffering wait and going to the Christians to turn them to righteousness. And I think that even works for non Christians in this age:

Acts 2:17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams. 18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; And they shall prophesy.

Malachi 4:6 And he will turn The hearts of the fathers to the children, And the hearts of the children to their fathers, Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.”

God is slow to anger and has much patience in long suffering and works thru his Holy Spirit to keep from destroying the wicked, to give them every change.

I know he works thru people to stop the wicked and their evil approach and takeover.

Gives me something to think about.
If we look at the warnings against some of the churches in Asia Minor cited in Revelation...like...I will take away your lampstand...we see that all of those places no longer have churches. They are all under Islam. That's why I say that God allowed the rise of Islam...as a judgment against the church.

“Christianity started in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise."

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Religious types are very biblical. Jesus warned such that they needed to repent.

Actually, religious types are very self righteous.
They are very "theological".
They like to come to forums and parade about as having a "higher walk" then anyone else, because their Pride has become their religion.

Isnt that right Mr "Zion in the clouds'?

Think on it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually, religious types are very self righteous.
They are very "theological".
They like to come to forums and parade about as having a "higher walk" then anyone else, because their Pride has become their religion.

Isnt that right Mr "Zion in the clouds'?

Think on it.
You are confusing what I do for what you do. Spiritual things are not grasped by a religious dogmatic ideology. Religiosity is just one more facet of the flesh. Promise people life in an "afterlife" religion, and you get all kinds of carnal excesses...judgmentalism, unkindness, pride, hatred, disunity, backbiting ...all of which you exhibit, and are doing such right now.

Your presence here shows my point.

You espouse a gospel "scheme" based on beliefs whereas I preach a gospel of life and power based on faith. The fact that so many can't discern the difference is the sign of the times.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we look at the warnings against some of the churches in Asia Minor cited in Revelation...like...I will take away your lampstand...we see that all of those places no longer have churches. They are all under Islam. That's why I say that God allowed the rise of Islam...as a judgment against the church.

“Christianity started in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise."
I think some of the churches here in the USA are more of a business than a church. With the rich elite that are worshiped by the members. Interesting.

I know from reading the bible that Paul was taken to Rome where he won over a lot of people I think. Thus the rise of the Roman Catholic church? I'm not that good at history. But that is the general sense I get from talking to Roman Catholics. That their church has been there from the beginning.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think some of the churches here in the USA are more of a business than a church. With the rich elite that are worshiped by the members. Interesting.

I know from reading the bible that Paul was taken to Rome where he won over a lot of people I think. Thus the rise of the Roman Catholic church? I'm not that good at history. But that is the general sense I get from talking to Roman Catholics. That their church has been there from the beginning.
And the Reformation just made things a lot worse. In the guise of protesting against ecclesiastical abuses in the church at that time, Luther snuck in what amounts to the "great Delusion" spoken of in 2 Thess. 2. This opened a Pandora's box of strange and foolish doctrines that have become so commonplace in today's evangelical institutions...and worse still...have been embraced as truth among the unlearned and unwise.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You are confusing what I do for what you do.

You've done. nothing for me.
You have nothing to offer me, or any real believer.
Who are you kidding but yourself and those who are not certain about anything, related to God, Christ, and Salvation.

You appeal to the folks who have no theological or spiritual foundation.
Im not that one, fella.

You are a theological mess, and a confused and very religious person, according to your posts, Threads, and Videos..
You are literally one who teaches bizarre religious concepts that try to "sound spiritual", so that the people here who are easily fooled by such "speech", will give you "likes."

That's all you have to offer.
That's a fact.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are confusing what I do for what you do. Spiritual things are not grasped by a religious dogmatic ideology.
How do you grasp the understanding of God’s word Epi?

Spiritual understanding that is?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
And the Reformation just made things a lot worse.

What a profoundly backwards thing to say....... that you just posted.

Listen.
Were it not for Luther, and a few like Him, then the only "church" that would be found on this world, is the same DARK AGES "cult of Mary" that the reformers broke away from so that real Christianity could being to flourish again.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the Reformation just made things a lot worse. In the guise of protesting against ecclesiastical abuses in the church at that time, Luther snuck in what amounts to the "great Delusion" spoken of in 2 Thess. 2. This opened a Pandora's box of strange and foolish doctrines that have become so commonplace in today's evangelical institutions...and worse still...have been embraced as truth among the unlearned and unwise.
Yes I would agree. I try to spell out that God is the glory and decides who is saved. And that we are saved when we are resurrected, brought into heaven and given eternal life in the presence of God. And some people have a problem with that as they like to tell people they are saved. So as to not offend people I usually leave them to their beliefs.

I do notice that the Catholic have formed some false doctrine that they follow. I used to watch Catholic Mass daily for a while to get to know them a little better as I have only been exposed to the Mormon church except on this forum.

I like to see the good in people and ignore the bad unless it is a serious problem. In that spirit I do notice that the Catholics do well in their charity type functions. Or at least a lot better than some other churches. And they do teach kindness which goes along with this thread idea.

But love isn't always kind. Sometimes love doesn't support or condone that which is evil. Unless that is love of evil. But love of Good doesn't support evil. And it is slow to anger and wise like a serpent to hide among the wicked for the chance to share salvation with them.

Matthew 10:16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You've done. nothing for me.
You have nothing to offer me, or any real believer.

Really religious believer you mean... :rolleyes:
Who are you kidding but yourself and those who are not certain about anything, related to God, Christ, and Salvation.

Certainty is a human ploy. We only come to faith THROUGH our doubt. Jesus' disciples had a hard time with what Jesus did....even hardening their hearts against Him at times. That's a natural progression. Religion is the opposite. It's all just easy believism...accepting human schemes that fly in the face of the truth.
You appeal to the folks who have no theological or spiritual foundation.
Im not that one, fella.

You have a theology...based on the Great Delusion. God has sent it to be sure. But what many don't realize is that it is a trap meant to capture the self-righteous and all who don't love the truth.

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

You are a theological mess, and a confused and very religious person, according to your posts, Threads, and Videos..
You are literally one who teaches bizarre religious concepts that try to "sound spiritual", so that the people here who are easily fooled by such "speech", will give you "likes."

That's all you have to offer.
That's a fact.
I am pleased to give my testimony, which will stand up before God. Whether religious types are offended at this is not my concern. And the biblical narrative supports everything I say...as it all comes from the same Author of life.