Receiving the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is clear that after baptism and confirmation and the bread and wine (Hebrews 6:1-6) there is the Holy Spirit and the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).

So my question is this: What are some of the ways to feel the Holy Spirit that you have grown to know?

1. Attending Church Services

2. For me it's serving the poor and my fellow man for God.

3. Obeying the Commandments.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Devin,

I do not believe it is a - Feeling. It is more of an experience, and knowing that you are baptized with the Holy Spirit. When first becoming a Christian in November 2016, there was a slight change from the previous month where I had become more curious about the things of God, after hearing someone share with me Parables from Jesus, and also giving me a bible. As I started to look more into the Bible, it was not an immediate change that is for sure, it was a more gradual change.

First I was completely and totally trying to do things by my flesh, and by interaction with my flesh, my eyes looked at other people in what they say and what they would do, and what they would say the believed in. Depending on what others said, I would deem them unfit for the kingdom of God yet, I was still sinning the whole time while looking down on other people. There was however a change in my heart that God had given me the Holy Spirit, and because of this the ability to pray was there. Through time and continuing studying and praying and searching out more about the things of the heavenly, my heart slowly over time became more soft and not so hard and black as coal as it was before my interested had finally been peaked by the interesting parable Jesus had spoken.

It is more of a knowing, not so much of a feeling, I realized what was happening looking at other people, once reading about Jesus and how he tell us it is from with-in evil thoughts come from our hearts and that is what defiles a man. Slowly over time, the spirit continued to be fed, and my flesh became weaker. Though today I do not see myself as a perfect person like Jesus, the desire to have a mature faith and to have love for God and love for others is there. To be meek, humble as a child, understanding that truly I am not better than anyone else (if the thoughts come up or start to be entertained praying to God about what is going on in my heart is said towards God so that He can shoot thoughts thoughts down and help me to remain humble). Every day is a new day, a new challenge faced.

The need for God, and to understand and know the Holy Spirit has been given, is an experience not so much a feeling, though when we are not loving towards God, or we are not loving towards others personally I believe that we are notified or warned by God through the Holy Spirit, and that is when we need to pray, and ask God to help us with whatever the problem is perhaps you were angry and you took it out on someone else, or whatever the case might be. Prayer, and seeking out God and reading his word, and learning it produces and strengths faith in a believer who is seeking out to know the truth.

From the person I was before meeting Jesus, though that dark person still remains there and sometimes comes back up from the grave, is dead, that old man is dead, and being dead with Christ we are raised to new life, the new creation in Christ, to be able to walk in newness of life by the Holy Spirit, and the spirit of Christ with-us as believers who believe in the life, death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

God bless, to all.
Galatians 5:22-23 points out the feelings you will have from the fruits of the Holy Spirit. Love, Peace, Joy, etc.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Devin, going to respond quickly off work today.

Brother, I do not believe those are feelings. Those are actions.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.

The fruit of the actions produced by the spirit are all of these. These are not feelings, unless you can explain to me how they are feelings?

I am also reminded of Matthew 5:1-15 I believe they both go hand in hand my brother.
I think of the fruit of the Spirit as a character, being loving, being kind, being self-controlled, like that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay thank you for sharing that with me marks and Devin. Looking at what Jesus said In Matthew 5:1-12 will help understand that it is actions that are produced by the Holy Spirit.

It’s the same thing when looking at what are the actions of what the biblical definition of love is, in 1 Corinthians 13. Everything we do is a choice. And agape love is not a feeling, it is an action.

Sometimes we might feel like calling up a friend , or we might feel like sending a message to a. Friend.

But then there is the action of doing it because you care about your friend out of love, or give them a call not because you feel like but you actually care about them, in action not just you feel like it.

So I believe it’s very good to questions one motives, am I doing this because I feel like it, or is it because I love them.
I've come to define "Christian love" as being committed towards the wellbeing of the one whom we love. We do whatever is in our power, whatever we know to do, to care for and nurture others, that is, to the degree we actually love them.

And really I don't find a lot of difference in what you are saying and what I'm saying, we do according as we are. We simply move in the right direction if our heart is pointed the right direction.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Devin, going to respond quickly off work today.

Brother, I do not believe those are feelings. Those are actions.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.

The fruit of the actions produced by the spirit are all of these. These are not feelings, unless you can explain to me how they are feelings?

I am also reminded of Matthew 5:1-15 I believe they both go hand in hand my brother.
Love is a feeling that is shared with us from the Holy Spirit when we serve him, and we receive Joy from God for loving others. And the Spirit blesses us with feelings of peace from the turmoils of life. God works thru the spirit and we feel his spirit when he is with us. Peace to you MatthewG.

Reactions: Siddhi Koli

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've come to define "Christian love" as being committed towards the wellbeing of the one whom we love. We do whatever is in our power, whatever we know to do, to care for and nurture others, that is, to the degree we actually love them.

And really I don't find a lot of difference in what you are saying and what I'm saying, we do according as we are. We simply move in the right direction if our heart is pointed the right direction.

Much love!
Mark does God bless you with feelings of Love, Peace and Joy? These feelings from the actions of the Holy Spirit as you pointed out. Yes Jesus taught us to love and be kind and merciful and to forgive others, etc.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It is clear that after baptism and confirmation and the bread and wine

Joining the cult of mary and having a cookie and some juice has NOTHING to do with being Born again.
Water baptism has nothing to do with being born again.

Jesus said "you must be born again"., and that is not related to eating, drinking, or getting wet in a pool.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joining the cult of mary and having a cookie and some juice has NOTHING to do with being Born again.
Water baptism has nothing to do with being born again.

Jesus said "you must be born again"., and that is not related to eating, drinking, or getting wet in a pool.

Baptism and Laying on of hands, and the bread and wine are the doctrine of Christ as mentioned in Hebrews and other sections. After that it is onward to perfection. If you're not teaching these things then you are not teaching the doctrine of Jesus the Christ:

Hebrews 6:1-6

King James Version

6 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

3 And this will we do, if God permit.

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe22

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree. Normally that is something LDS people will share and express. Do you not feel something because of whatever and whatever. Do you feel the presence of the Holy Spirit?

There is a difference between knowing what the Holy Spirit causes because of faith and abiding in Christ and asking the Father to help you to be patient with someone, to help you to be kind to someone who doesn't deserve it. It is not because you feel like doing it, it is because you are suffering for Christ and abiding him to help you make those actions happen even when you do not feel like doing it on behalf of suffering for Christ, in faith.

But if you really believe Agape love is a feeling, all the best to you @devin553344 .
I didn't mention anything about having to feel a certain way to do good. These fruits of the Holy Spirit are a portion of God's spirit so that we know he is with us in Love, Peace and Joy when we obey the commandments and serve others. And there are others on this forum that are not Mormon that also know this fact. It is not simply a Mormon teaching, it is a well known fact.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is clear that after baptism and confirmation and the bread and wine (Hebrews 6:1-6) there is the Holy Spirit and the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).

So my question is this: What are some of the ways to feel the Holy Spirit that you have grown to know?

1. For me it's serving the poor and my fellow man for God.

2. Obeying the Commandments.
The purpose of this thread is for people to share the experiences they have with the Holy Spirit and how to have those experiences. Sorry if I have been debating! That was not my intent.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I added to the OP attending church services as that is also where I've felt the Holy Spirit.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive seen miracles in the day time, with my eyes wide open.
I have seen miracles in the dark, upon waking up.

When i was called into the Ministry, i was a dead faith, Christian, not involved in the walk, or the work....didnt care.
I had other things i had been doing for years.....chasing pleasure and profit $$$$.
And i was sitting in my living room alone one morning, looking at a book of Photos, and the Holy Spirit came and made His presence Known.
I was not ready.
I was not seeking it.
I was not praying..
I was not even thinking about any "christian stuff", for years., about 7, in fact.
Literally......There was a Study Bible that was 7 yrs old, a gift, that was sitting my Toyota's back seat, for 7 yrs. Just sitting there. Never opened for 7 yrs.
REALLY. !
I had not even been water baptized yet, and i was saved at that time, for 9 yrs.
Ive never been the same since.

And following that, i have been taken to places that God caused me to go. Doors opened, again and again.
For 2 yrs after this happened, in '1987, after this initial "touch" or "call" of God, i saw things in the supernatural., a lot.
For example, i woke up one morning, about 3am, probably August, as it was very warm weather... and over the single window in my room, ... the blue curtain was BLOWING, .. it was pushed out, as if by a wind, and there was a light coming through the window..... I watched this for a while.
When it was the morning light, i inspected the window, and it was CLOSED., as i knew it would be., yet the curtain was blowing in the ""wind"" and a light was coming through the window. No light in the backyard.... total darkness at night.

Thats just one.....
I saw a lot of this, for 2 years.. and some more in the following years......and it was hard to deal with at first, as i didnt understand what was happening..
Now i do.
And here i am, talking about that BEAUTIFUL CROSS and that BEAUTIFUL SAVIOR and His Beautiful BLOOD, and Teaching that Beautiful word of God.

And God has a special place for you, reader...if you are born again.
He didnt save you to do nothing. He didnt save you to "sin and confess" and try not to go to hell.
God saved you so that He can reach through you, into this dark world and perform His GRACE.
But you have to go here to enlist God's use of you=.. Hebrews 13:9, and you must do what it says and live there., or God wont use you as you are not usable in the Spirit realm, where He does His work through us.
Thanks for sharing @Behold!

I've felt the spirit on a few occasions and had communion with God. Each time he filled me with immense peace and love and sometimes joy that was like being in heaven with him it was so immense. On one occasion I received communion with the Father from a great distance and he spoke to me as if with physical nature, not with the spirit, and he did from Heaven which seemed like he was in the midst of the Universe.

The message from the Father was clear: Praise my Son Jesus the Christ, with Him I am well pleased.

Reactions: marks

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Thanks for sharing @Behold!

The message from the Father was clear: Praise my Son Jesus the Christ, with Him I am well pleased.

God is good all the time.
The Holy Spirit's work for us to do, is to help the lost find the Light.
Jesus is the Light of the World and the born again, are Children of the Light.

The CROSS, is shining right now, out of the Darkness, and it is showing the unrighteous John 14:6, which is their way HOME., as they are so lost, Devin.

Reactions: dev553344

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. Attending Church Services

2. For me it's serving the poor and my fellow man for God.

3. Obeying the Commandments.

ITS IS NOT ABOUT "WAYS TO FEEL THE HOLY SPIRIT"!!!

If anyone is thinking that, they are all wrong!!!

It is about knowing Jesus Christ as your Lord, which happens via the Holy Spirit!!

The one main purpose the Holy Spirit has is to get you to personally know Jesus Christ, and Him as your Lord!!!! That is what saves you!!!

So let me go over this:

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Look at the above verse: The Spirit give us life - but more specifically we read the "the words" which Jesus Christ speaks to us our spirit and are life!!!

So Jesus Christ is doing the speaking and the Holy Spirit is giving us His words!!!

So it is not a "feeling" that we are looking but rather the words that come from Jesus Christ though the Holy Spirit!!!!

If you are thinking you want some wonderful feeling you are thinking you want some wonderful instructions!! Yet a lord gives 'instructions'!! So the Holy Spirit tells you that Jesus Christ is Lord, not that He is some feeling!!!

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

So note: saying you want a feeling from the Holy Spirit is not saying you want instructions from our Lord Jesus Christ - therefore we need to be careful of who we are listening to!!!

Ok - I understand that sometimes it just feels like I need to know that Jesus Christ is with me. Yet the best way to know that is to actually listen to Him!! His words encourage you, they comfort you, they give you direction to your life! He can joke with you and make you smile! (Isaac means humor, so the promise son to Abram was Humor)! He give you joy, and the joy of the Lord is your strength, but if there is the joy of the Lord then isn't there also joy from another source also? So we need a bit of discernment when dealing with feelings, and that discernment comes via the Holy Spirit, which comes with the Word that Jesus Christ, our Lord, has for you!!

Jn 16:13-15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

In the above verse we read that when the Holy Spirit comes He "speaks"!! Yet we also read that He does not speak on His own initiative, but rather what He hears He speaks!! A phone does not speak on it's own initiative but what ever the phone hears it speaks. Now the Holy Spirit is a person, but in order to glorify the Son the Holy Spirit has decided that He will not speak on His own initiative, so the Holy Spirit acts like a living telephone line directly to our Lord Jesus Christ.

SOOOO - If you pick up a phone to get communication from your boss, are you looking for a "Feeling" or do you expect "Words" to be spoken to you??

There is a serious misunderstanding about who is God and who is God's creation going on here!!!

I am not saying the Holy Spirit is not going to comfort you, but Him giving you the words of God is comforting to you!! But who listens?

Is it possible that some people are trying to treat God like a drug that can be taken to make them feel better, as opposed to say a Wonderful Counselor who will make them fell better by giving them the advice they need to do better?

And also note: I am not saying that God can not also give you feelings, like being drunk in the Spirit. I have felt Him do that to me. He has also giving me a feeling of peace at times which I just can't describe - and joy too. I have felt numerous incredible things that came from God, but did we not read about how God is not in the might wind, the fire, and the earthquake??? Perhaps things need to be broken off you, but the Lord is in the still small wind that we call the small voice - right?

1 Kings 19:11-13So He said, “Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

It's about that still small voice by which we hear from the Lord. That is where He is at!!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
ITS IS NOT ABOUT "WAYS TO FEEL THE HOLY SPIRIT"!!!

If anyone is thinking that, they are all wrong!!!

It is about knowing Jesus Christ as your Lord, which happens via the Holy Spirit!!

The one main purpose the Holy Spirit has is to get you to personally know Jesus Christ, and Him as your Lord!!!! That is what saves you!!!

So let me go over this:

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Look at the above verse: The Spirit give us life - but more specifically we read the "the words" which Jesus Christ speaks to us our spirit and are life!!!

So Jesus Christ is doing the speaking and the Holy Spirit is giving us His words!!!

So it is not a "feeling" that we are looking but rather the words that come from Jesus Christ though the Holy Spirit!!!!

If you are thinking you want some wonderful feeling you are thinking you want some wonderful instructions!! Yet a lord gives 'instructions'!! So the Holy Spirit tells you that Jesus Christ is Lord, not that He is some feeling!!!

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

So note: saying you want a feeling from the Holy Spirit is not saying you want instructions from our Lord Jesus Christ - therefore we need to be careful of who we are listening to!!!

Ok - I understand that sometimes it just feels like I need to know that Jesus Christ is with me. Yet the best way to know that is to actually listen to Him!! His words encourage you, they comfort you, they give you direction to your life! He can joke with you and make you smile! (Isaac means humor, so the promise son to Abram was Humor)! He give you joy, and the joy of the Lord is your strength, but if there is the joy of the Lord then isn't there also joy from another source also? So we need a bit of discernment when dealing with feelings, and that discernment comes via the Holy Spirit, which comes with the Word that Jesus Christ, our Lord, has for you!!

Jn 16:13-15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

In the above verse we read that when the Holy Spirit comes He "speaks"!! Yet we also read that He does not speak on His own initiative, but rather what He hears He speaks!! A phone does not speak on it's own initiative but what ever the phone hears it speaks. Now the Holy Spirit is a person, but in order to glorify the Son the Holy Spirit has decided that He will not speak on His own initiative, so the Holy Spirit acts like a living telephone line directly to our Lord Jesus Christ.

SOOOO - If you pick up a phone to get communication from your boss, are you looking for a "Feeling" or do you expect "Words" to be spoken to you??

There is a serious misunderstanding about who is God and who is God's creation going on here!!!

I am not saying the Holy Spirit is not going to comfort you, but Him giving you the words of God is comforting to you!! But who listens?

Is it possible that some people are trying to treat God like a drug that can be taken to make them feel better, as opposed to say a Wonderful Counselor who will make them fell better by giving them the advice they need to do better?

And also note: I am not saying that God can not also give you feelings, like being drunk in the Spirit. I have felt Him do that to me. He has also giving me a feeling of peace at times which I just can't describe - and joy too. I have felt numerous incredible things that came from God, but did we not read about how God is not in the might wind, the fire, and the earthquake??? Perhaps things need to be broken off you, but the Lord is in the still small wind that we call the small voice - right?

1 Kings 19:11-13So He said, “Go forth and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

It's about that still small voice by which we hear from the Lord. That is where He is at!!
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit - ever since Pentecost - has come at the new birth; John 3; Romans 8.9.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I could hear something or say something and my spirit will rise up in me. But it doesn't happen all the time.

No doubt the Holy Spirit is involved.