Reciting scripture prevents road rage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dei-Gnostica

Nov 4, 2007
Maybe this is just a rumor but this is what I heard. Let's say as soon as you get cut off on the highway, or someone almost rearends you.... most of us would be pretty irate.. but instead of doing the whole 'counting to ten' bit, if you start reciting the Bible... maybe your favourite verse,... it actually calms you down.Can anyone confirm this?

Wise Haven

Sep 26, 2007
I've never been particularly prone to road rage however one day when I had my kids in the car, a truck nearly caused a collision. I blocked the truck at the lights, got out and firmly and calmly rebuked the driver - who looked suitably shamefaced.I wouldn't do it now though - most people have gone loopy and would probably run me over then reverse over me to make sure I was dead then drive off at speed listening to heavy metal music at full blast!Reciting biblical verses during instances of road rage sounds like the way ahead now.Mind you, when it gets to point where one is reciting the whole time, when driving, it seems It may be time to give up driving altogether.

alaskadrifter

Jun 23, 2007
(Dei-Gnostica;21931)
Maybe this is just a rumor but this is what I heard. Let's say as soon as you get cut off on the highway, or someone almost rearends you.... most of us would be pretty irate.. but instead of doing the whole 'counting to ten' bit, if you start reciting the Bible... maybe your favourite verse,... it actually calms you down.Can anyone confirm this?
I think more people should do it. Jesus quoted scripture when Satan was tempting him. How should it be any different when we are tempted by malice (or road rage)? It only makes sense.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been annoyed and ticked on the road before - especially down here in SC - but I can't say I've suffered from road rage. However, I have commonly thought about our recited Bible verses in my mind when in trouble and I have found comfort and relaxation.

wingnut

Aug 10, 2007
(Dei-Gnostica;21931)
but instead of doing the whole 'counting to ten' bit, if you start reciting the Bible... maybe your favourite verse,... it actually calms you down.Can anyone confirm this?
I am waiting for someone to bring out a liquid crystal or diode display for my rear window or bumper, so that I can quote THEM scripture.Like..."Get thee behind me Satan.....No further behind... further....Fine!"

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Like..."Get thee behind me Satan.....No further behind... further....Fine!" That is very funny. I'm pretty mild mannered but I have experienced road rage....it isn't pretty
sad.gif
and I'm always ashamed when I calm down.It hasn't happened in a long time but should it pop up again I'll try some verses.......Whirlwind

wingnut

Aug 10, 2007
(whirlwind;22029)
Like..."Get thee behind me Satan.....No further behind... further....Fine!" That is very funny. I'm pretty mild mannered but I have experienced road rage....it isn't pretty
sad.gif
and I'm always ashamed when I calm down.It hasn't happened in a long time but should it pop up again I'll try some verses.......Whirlwind
I had the same experience - once. Broke down in the dark, at traffic lights - was on the cellphone to a friend to come tow me - guy and his girlfriend pull next to me and start shouting at me. That was when I discovered I had a nanosecond fuse. Was very embarased at what I said. My Christian friend on the other side of the cellphone heard all. Hope I was not on speaker-phone. The last thing I thought of was reciting verses. :angel1:

Dunamite

Nov 15, 2007
After I read the Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence I began to take advantage of the the little things in my life to take the opportunity to see God in a whole new way. Instead of being frustrated by things, I saw them as opportunities. If we add up all of the little opportunities to thank God then they add up to one big one.Traffic lights became an opportunity to pray, smile, and thank God, instead of wasted time. Other motorists are reminders of the people around us. Some of them have busy lives and frustrations. Instead of heaping abuse on them we can bless them. Instead of being tempted to give them the finger or get even, smile. If nothing else, it is very disarming. I also began to be more generous with other people. I gave them more space on the road and slowed down. I consciously looked for opportunities to yield to others because that is what Jesus desires us to do. He wants us to have a servant's heart.Does it always work? No. But it works more often than not and over the long haul it has helped my blood pressure and improved my driving habits.Road rage is real, but we do not have to be part of it. It is a choice. You can either choose to get sucked in or choose to do something better. I don't like being made a fool of and being forced to act out of character by someone else. I have decided that there are better options open to me.Blessings,Dunamite

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
I remeber one day as I was waiting at the traffic light, a huge guy from next car came out and started to swear at me, kick my car and even stretched inside the car from the window to punch me. Thank God that He stopped his hand right infront of my face. It was as if someone was holding him not to harm me. God gave me His grace and I was silent the whole time, just staring at him, wondering what was going on. Apparently I irritaded him because instead of waiting in the line like he was for a quite a while, I came next to him, but there was no way to go back into the line of the cars unless I hit some of them. There was nowhere else to go. But that was not truly the case of quarrel, at least not to the point of acting like mad. I understood it was a direct offence by evil and God protected me and I thanked him. Never in my life have I seen a man so outraged, one could assume that he realy was possessed.Praise God!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Well I am actually just learning to drive, I am 16, and I get more scared then angry. But quoting scripture to myself helps me calm down, but I haven't really experienced road rage yet just road horror