Reformers month (part 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continuing on from my first thread about october being the month us reformed christians celebrate a return to the true gospel, i thought i’d continue with more commentary about some of our reformers. This article first appeared in the April 15, 2015 issue of the Standard Bearer (vol.91, #14).

In reformed theology, we have 5 solae, which in latin means “alone.” They are;
1. Sola scriptura: “Scripture alone”
2. Sola fide: “faith alone”
3. Sola gratia: “grace alone”
4. Solo Christo: “Christ alone”
5. Soli Deo gloria: “to the glory of God alone”

The Five Points of Calvinism themselves have this “alone” or “sola” characteristic, as the adjectives in four of the points show: Election is unconditional; the atonement is limited; depravity is total; grace is irresistible. Each adjective makes a point similar to what the solas make. The Canons of Dordt are emphatic about this. But it is worth explaining these solas in a separate editorial to emphasize this fundamental dimension of being Reformed. Reformed churches were and are faithful to the Bible’s exclusive claims. To be Reformed is to be distinctive, antithetical, exclusive.

To say that the five solas are “Reformed” rather than that they are “Calvinist” (they are the five solas of the Reformation, not the five solas of Calvin) gives opportunity to remind ourselves that, although the Reformed faith owes a great debt to Calvin, our debt is not, to invent a phrase, “sola to Calvin.” The human instruments whom God used to hand down to us the Christian tradition we call “Reformed” were many more than Calvin.

Reformed Christians rightly lionize Calvin. We thank God for this man and his defense and propagation of the true Christian religion. Our debt to his tireless and faithful efforts is no little one. But ‘lionizing’ Calvin must not allow us to forget other important figures in the ‘pride.’ Reformed believers ought to grant lion-status to Calvin’s contemporaries—Zwingli and Lasco, Vermigli and Bucer, Bullinger and Knox. In the same ‘pride’ ought to be placed Calvin’s followers, who clarified and developed the Reformed faith—Beza, Ursinus and Oliveanus, Voetius and Gomarus, and many more. Calvin himself would have given recognition to a different cloud of witnesses, on whose shoulders he stood, and on account of whose blood the faith of the fathers was living still in his day—Augustine, Gottschalk, Wycliff, Huss, Luther and more.

But attaching a man’s name to a movement is not the way of wisdom. Truly, we ought not embrace the label Calvinist any more than the PRCs want to be known as “Hoeksemists,” the Canadian Reformed “Schilderists,” or the OPCs “Machenists.” Calvin himself did not want his name so used. It was not, in his day, except by his Lutheran opponents. Calvin recoiled at the designation “Calvinism,” and not because of modesty, but because the Christian faith is not of a man, and the truth they embraced was not new.

Yet, the label has stuck. So we use it without shame, even if with some slight regret. But far better for us is the label “Reformed” (by which, remember, we simply mean the Christian faith).

The Reformed creeds teach biblical truth: “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (I Tim. 2:5). “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).

We justly say with Paul, that we are justified by faith alone, or by faith without works” (Belgic Confession, Art. 22). Then the creed sharpens the point: “To speak more clearly, we do not mean that faith itself justifies us, for it is only an instrument with which we embrace Christ our righteousness.” According to Martin Luther, this is the article by which the church stands or falls. Calvin said it is “the main hinge on which religion turns.” The fathers of Westminster followed suit by confessing that “Faith…is the alone instrument of justification.”

To tie the first two solas together, the Reformed faith teaches that Christ alone saves, through faith alone.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In reformed theology, we have 5 solae, which in latin means “alone.” They are;
1. Sola scriptura: “Scripture alone”
2. Sola fide: “faith alone”
3. Sola gratia: “grace alone”
4. Solo Christo: “Christ alone”
5. Soli Deo gloria: “to the glory of God alone”
This is not where the contention with reformed theology lies.

It's here...
Election is unconditional; the atonement is limited; depravity is total; grace is irresistible

Reactions: Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To tie the first two solas together, the Reformed faith teaches that Christ alone saves, through faith alone.

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'

Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.'

Pax et Bonum!

Reactions: amadeus

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'

Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.'

Pax et Bonum!
Before we get in a messy discussion full of misunderstanding, lol....

“We are saved by faith alone, but the faith that saves is never alone.”

― Martin Luther

Quote by Martin Luther: “We are saved by faith alone, but the faith that...”

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pax et Bonum!
The main problem with Catholicism isn't that they say you can't be saved without works. Many Protestants know that, and how that's not a works gospel. The main problem is Catholicism says works justify you (make you righteous) in conjunction with your faith, and that you are made righteous over and over again by various works. There is no Hebrews 10:14 in the Catholic religion.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be over-awed by men's teachings and miss biblical teaching.

There's nothing wrong with having Bible teachers you admire, but if the Bible contradicts them, are you willing to go with the Bible?

John Calvin just happens to be a good example. People put things he said over the Bible. Not good.

The Holy Spirit will teach you. The way I feel is Just get the Bible open and learn from the source.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I feel is Just get the Bible open and learn from the source.
That's how I learned.
A lot of Christians, it seems, are quite satisfied to let teachers do their learning for them. That's a very non-Biblical way to learn.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be over-awed by men's teachings and miss biblical teaching.

There's nothing wrong with having Bible teachers you admire, but if the Bible contradicts them, are you willing to go with the Bible?

John Calvin just happens to be a good example. People put things he said over the Bible. Not good.

The Holy Spirit will teach you. The way I feel is Just get the Bible open and learn from the source.

Do you have any specific examples of where calvin went against the Bible??

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pax et Bonum!

You clearly dont believe in false converts perhaps?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's how I learned.
A lot of Christians, it seems, are quite satisfied to let teachers do their learning for them.

It wasn't always the case with me. I was often really confused, especially about the role of grace in the life of a believer.

There was one big time radio Preacher who said that grace means you have the freedom to sin freely big time and still belong to Jesus. Unlimited free sins. That you didn't have to "try so hard" because "God isn't mad at you."

He knew how to make everything sound so good and catchy.

But when I tried to apply all of this grace to my sanctification, it didn't work.

It turns out, getting rid of sin is an actual effort. It turns out, obedience is the outflow of a truly saved heart.

The Bible talks a lot about repentance followed by a lifestyle of obedience. And the Bible warns that we can lose our salvation.

But I listened to the radio Preacher, didn't read my Bible, and wondered where my Galatians 5 fruit was and kept wondering why sin was kicking my tail.

It turns out, sin is not freedom, it is slavery. We are to die to sin and live to God. Does that mean we never make mistakes or sin again? No. But it does mean that it doesn't rule your life. It means every sin must go so that we can live by the Spirit.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any specific examples of where calvin went against the Bible??

One of Calvin's teachings is grace is irresistable.

Does Scripture teach this? We have a choice to make. To soften our hearts or harden them against the truth.

Hebrews 3:12

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Hebrews 4:7

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of Calvin's teachings is grace is irresistable.

Does Scripture teach this? We have a choice to make. To soften our hearts or harden them against the truth.

Hebrews 3:12

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Hebrews 4:7

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

i think you may not completely understand this doctrine. If God wants you to get saved, you will. You might be able to dodge it for a while, but if you getting saved is Gods will, you can bet it’ll happen.

from Got Questions.com,
“At the heart of this doctrine is the answer to the question: Why does one person believe the gospel and another does not? Is it because one is smarter, has better reasoning capabilities, or possesses some other characteristic that allows him to realize the importance of the gospel message? Or is it because God does something unique in the lives of those whom He saves? If it is because of what the person who believes does or is, then in a sense he is responsible for his salvation and has a reason to boast. However, if the difference is solely that God does something unique in the hearts and lives of those who believe in Him and are saved, then there is no ground for boasting and salvation is truly a gift of grace. Of course, the biblical answer to these questions is that the Holy Spirit does do something unique in the hearts of those who are saved. The Bible tells us that God saves people “according to His mercy…through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit” (Titus 3:5). In other words, those who believe the gospel and are saved do so because they have been transformed by the Holy Spirit.”

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God wants you to get saved, you will.
I think this is a more accurate statement: If you are able to be saved, you will.

Some ground, no matter how much you plow it, seed it, and water it simply won't retain the word of God and produce a harvest. Some ground just doesn't have the potential to respond to the word of God. Some does have that potential, and God will make sure that potential is realized. And God doesn't establish that potential. You, as the person you are, either have it, or you don't.

That's where I'm at with this whole matter of election and predestination.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
from Got Questions.com,
“Why does one person believe the gospel and another does not? Is it because one is smarter, has better reasoning capabilities, or possesses some other characteristic that allows him to realize the importance of the gospel message?
Yes.

The presence of God's Grace allows a person to realize the importance of the gospel message.

But whether or not any one plot of human soil will love and appreciate righteousness when God sows and waters it also determines why one human heart will receive and retain the gospel while another heart will not.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or is it because God does something unique in the lives of those whom He saves?
Again, the answer is yes.
No human heart can in and of itself realize it's own potential to receive and retain the word of God. God has to do something unique to Himself not found in human nature to realize the potential of a human heart to receive and retain the gospel message, if it has that potential.

And as I say, I don't think God establishes whether or not someone is going to be created to have the potential to accept the gospel. You, as a person, either have it, or you don't. What God establishes is if He will realize that potential. And I think if a person has that potential, He will indeed realize your potential. Right now I'm of the opinion that God will not let a person be lost who would otherwise have been saved if God would have just done what he needs to do to save them.

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If God wants you to get saved, you will.

First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone,

for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity.

This is good and pleasing to God our savior,

who wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth

Pax et Bonum!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is a more accurate statement: If you are able to be saved, you will.

Some ground, no matter how much you plow it, seed it, and water it simply won't retain the word of God and produce a harvest. Some ground just doesn't have the potential to respond to the word of God. Some does have that potential, and God will make sure that potential is realized. And God doesn't establish that potential. You, as the person you are, either have it, or you don't.

That's where I'm at with this whole matter of election and predestination.

what you’re saying here, i see a lot of others say. And i have to say i disagree with it. Why?? Because i dont think that our will is stronger than Gods will. The biggest issue i see that people have with calvinism is that of free will. If God has already decided on a course of action, it WILL happen. We cannot ever thwart Gods plan.
Noone seeks God on their own. That means God has had to do something to change the peoples hearts of those who are saved. Most people dont like it when i say this, but we have no choice in the matter of our salvation.

when i look at the people that God used the most, i see flawed people, murderers, adulterers, that ended up being some of the best servants of God. When God changes us to salvation, its no less different. But i also dont believe my will is stronger than Gods. All things are possible with God, He can save anyone He wants.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God has already decided on a course of action
But that's the very point in contention.
This is the crux of the disagreement.

To what extent has God already decided on a course of action?
Calvinists say to the uttermost extent, to the point we're just robots, or puppets, acting out a play God wrote.
To the non-Calvinist the plan is what is predetermined, and whoever wants to get on board (using God's grace) can.

Reactions: amadeus

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Noone seeks God on their own. That means God has had to do something to change the peoples hearts of those who are saved.
This is not unique to Calvinist theology.
I think everyone agrees that nothing happens unless God provides the grace for it to happen.
There is no real contention here.
It's deeper than that.

Last edited: