Reformers month (part 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

So then the question should become , what exactly IS the “ Will Of The Father” ....Jesus made that “ will “ clear to his Disciples when they asked that very same question —- “ The Will Of The Father is to BELIEVE IN THE ONE THAT HE SENT”...... that is what I do......that’s why I am Saved forever.....

Reactions: HisLife

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's how I learned.
A lot of Christians, it seems, are quite satisfied to let teachers do their learning for them. That's a very non-Biblical way to learn.

And some people study their Bibles and combine what they have learned on their own and combine it with things they have learned from Gifted GOD- SENT teachers, freely admitting that there are gifted Teachers of the Word out there that are smarter than us and understand the Bible better than us for us To take advantage of....

We are to check out Anything that is taught and makes sense and go to the Scriptures to verify if it is valid or not.....it’s exactly what the Bereans did and received praise for....Many here are too proud and Stiff- Necked to be like the Bereans.....they insist upon being 100% Self-Taught.......and it shows....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The main problem with Catholicism isn't that they say you can't be saved without works. Many Protestants know that, and how that's not a works gospel. The main problem is Catholicism says works justify you (make you righteous) in conjunction with your faith, and that you are made righteous over and over again by various works. There is no Hebrews 10:14 in the Catholic religion.

The “ Problems” with Catholicism could fill a Warehouse.... Fortunately , God can and does Save many Souls DESPITE Damnable Catholic Doctrine.....

Any and All Adherents to Catholic Doctrine May not be Damned — I think they have enough Faith to pass this test—- “ If you will acknowledge Me before men , I will acknowledge you before my Father” , plus they are very big on the Resurrection......

Yes, they may be Saved but they are also,without exception, “Fallen From Grace”...... Fallen because they ADD to Paul’s Gospel Of Grace, Given to Paul by Jesus personally...( please read the short little Book of Galatians —- it could save your Soul! And you can’t spare an Hour to read it? ) .They might Believe that Jesus is ESSENTIAL for Salvation.....they just don’t Believe that He, on His own, is ADEQUATE for Salvation....You MUST add the Seven Sacraments , etc to get the job done.....it actually “ Tramples the Blood” ......they think Jesus needs to share His Glory .....they think that Jesus requires a “ Co- Savior”, and who might “THAT” be? You guessed it—— THEM....... God won’t have it......just wait and see....The Song has it right.....it’s “ NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS”......don’t wait and discover that when it might be too late....

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where irresistible grace comes in. The doctrine of irresistible grace simply recognizes that the Bible teaches God is sovereign and can overcome all resistance when He wills to. What God decrees or determines will come to pass. This truth is seen throughout Scripture. In Daniel 4:35, we see that “He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand!” Psalm 115:3 declares, “Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.” God’s grace in salvation is irresistible because when God sets out to fulfill His sovereign purpose, no person or thing can successfully resist Him. So the real question is, how much time will God take to convert us?

There’s no irresistible grace in the Bible.

The Bible has the refutation of Calvinism staring us in the face in its pages:

Jesus came only for Israel. Matthew 15:24.

They were God’s elect. Isaiah 45:4

Yet His own, that He came for, REJECTED Him. John 1:11:

Joh 1:11 He came unto HIS OWN, and his own received him NOT.

Jesus, who is God, yearned for His own elect people whom He came for, to come to Him - but they refused:

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and YE WOULD NOT!

This is absolutely impossible in Calvinism - for the elect, who Jesus came for, to resist and reject salvation - yet they did just that.

Act 13:45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

Act 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should FIRST have been spoken to YOU: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

The Bible is clear that God gave us free will, and the Holy Spirit is resistible - which is why elect Israel was able to reject their election - and proves there is no such thing as irresistible grace.

Stephen preached to those same elect Israelites (Isaiah 45:4) who Jesus came for, but they rejected Him (John 1:11) who He yearned would come to Him, BUT THEY WOULD NOT (Matthew 23:37) and told them that the reason they killed the prophets God sent, then rejected, and killed their own Messiah when He came for them, is because they RESIST the Holy Spirit.

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always RESIST THE HOLY GHOST : as your fathers did, so do ye.

Act 7:52 Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered (Jesus).

The Holy Spirit, without which no man can say Jesus is Lord, is resistible, proving we have free will.

Faith comes by hearing Gods word Romans 10:17, not by first being regenerated, and grace is resistible because the Holy Spirit is resistible.

Salvation is not guaranteed from having faith, man has freewill to receive Jesus John. 1:12, or resist the drawing by the HS and reject Jesus, as the elect Israelis did, when Jesus came for His OWN John 1:11.

There is NO irresistible grace or unconditional Election.

Israel, Gods elect, resisted the Holy Spirit and rejected Jesus, their savior.

As Jesus said to them:

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Joh 5:40 And ye WILL NOT COME TO ME, that ye might have LIFE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And some people study their Bibles and combine what they have learned on their own and combine it with things they have learned from Gifted GOD- SENT teachers, freely admitting that there are gifted Teachers of the Word out there that are smarter than us and understand the Bible better than us for us To take advantage of....

We are to check out Anything that is taught and makes sense and go to the Scriptures to verify if it is valid or not.....it’s exactly what the Bereans did and received praise for....Many here are too proud and Stiff- Necked to be like the Bereans.....they insist upon being 100% Self-Taught.......and it shows....
Apart from the basic milk knowledge facts about salvation, I have learned more from other believers than I have from 'official' teachers of the faith. There's nothing 'self taught' being espoused here. This is about learning the real truth by fellowshipping with and learning from other believers who read their Bibles for themselves and don't simply parrot what a supposed 'official' teacher in the church is teaching.

Reactions: amadeus and Curtis

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
, Given to Paul by Jesus personally..

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread,

and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."

In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.

'the source and summit of our faith'

Pax et Bonum

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

So then the question should become , what exactly IS the “ Will Of The Father” ....Jesus made that “ will “ clear to his Disciples when they asked that very same question —- “ The Will Of The Father is to BELIEVE IN THE ONE THAT HE SENT”...... that is what I do......that’s why I am Saved forever.....
From the context we can see he's talking about the whole will of God:

"...depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’" Matthew 7:23

These people are not just guilty of not doing God's will in accepting Christ. They are guilty of not doing all that is God's will. God's will is way bigger and includes more than just believing in Christ. Not doing the will of God shows you do not know him in salvation. That's why he is able to judge whether we go into the kingdom of God or not by how we lived our lives.

Reactions: Curtis

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Blood Bought 1953 A Berean spirit shows a willingness to learn; 2 Peter 2.18 says: "Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is where irresistible grace comes in. The doctrine of irresistible grace simply recognizes that the Bible teaches God is sovereign and can overcome all resistance when He wills to. What God decrees or determines will come to pass. This truth is seen throughout Scripture. In Daniel 4:35, we see that “He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand!” Psalm 115:3 declares, “Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.” God’s grace in salvation is irresistible because when God sets out to fulfill His sovereign purpose, no person or thing can successfully resist Him. So the real question is, how much time will God take to convert us?
@Lifelong_sinner The subject of the grace of God in the Gospel is indeed a wondrous one, seen especially in Ephesians chapters 1 & 2.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

These people are not just guilty of not doing God's will in accepting Christ. They are guilty of not doing all that is God's will. God's will is way bigger and includes more than just believing in Christ. Not doing the will of God shows you do not know him in salvation. That's why he is able to judge whether we go into the kingdom of God or not by how we lived our lives.

100% right.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apart from the basic milk knowledge facts about salvation, I have learned more from other believers than I have from 'official' teachers of the faith. There's nothing 'self taught' being espoused here. This is about learning the real truth by fellowshipping with and learning from other believers who read their Bibles for themselves and don't simply parrot what a supposed 'official' teacher in the church is teaching.

And Calvinists don’t actually study the Bible - they study Calvinism - their shelves are full of Calvinist authors like Sproul, Piper, Spurgeon, John Calvin, even. Augustine, and they study systematic theology with other people’s proof texts, such as Calvin’s INSTITUTES.

Maranatha

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Calvinists don’t actually study the Bible - they study Calvinism - their shelves are full of Calvinist authors like Sproul, Piper, Spurgeon, John Calvin, even. Augustine, and they study systematic theology with other people’s proof texts, such as Calvin’s INSTITUTES.

Maranatha

i study both the Bible as well as the puritans, to include modern day puritans like sproul, washer, piper, and mcarthur. If there is a problem with calvinism, it is only the fact that there are encyclopedia volumes of john calvin that most do not read. John calvin loved to write!! And i love to read what he wrote. I cant imagine how badly corrupted the christian faith would be without calvin and his writings. I give thanks for the reformers.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So its 8:47 pm saturday nite here for me, and i wanted to wait till Sunday to write my last commentary of this Reformation month tomorrow, but im gonna go ahead and write it up tonite.

it should come as no surprise that this last commentary is about none other than, Martin Luther!!! I dont have enough words to convey the feelings of thankfulness, humbleness, and love that i have for this reformer. While im allll about john calvin, it is without a doubt, martin luther himself that helped save us from the corrupt catholics and their false beliefs such as purgatory and popes.

Here is a summary of Luthers 95 theses.

“Summary Of Martin Luther 95 Theses

In the revolutionary Martin Luther 95 Theses, he raised many points. We can make the following summary of his Theses.

1. Establishes what true repentance is.
2. Establishes the limits of the Pope’s power and will, i.e., as vicar of Christ
3. Canons of Church apply only to the living, cannot extend into purgatory
4. Indulgences must not go beyond the right and just powers of the Pope, which is to declare what God has done, so that they deceive the people
5. The powers of clergy lie in intercession, which is ultimately dependent upon the will of God
6. The certainty of contrition or salvation lies outside of men themselves and with God alone
7. No man is better than another; all benefits of Christ are granted by God alone
8. The indulgent nature of indulgences most often renders them contrary to true repentance; i.e. dulls the conscience
9. Only a very few can rightly distinguish between indulgence(s) and true contrition
10. Service and mercy are above indulgences; works of love improve a man but indulgences promote manipulative behavior
11. A person’s money is better spent than on many indulgences
12. St. Peter’s, or money spent on the Church, is worth less than prayers for the Pope himself or the very flesh and bone of the people
13. Indulgences should not have too great an importance attached to them, especially compared to the Word and the Gospel.
14. Indulgences should not be a matter reserved merely for the clergy, but the people ought to be privy to the accounts as well.
15. The first shall be last, and the last, first
16. The gospel fishes for men, but indulgences fish for wealth
17. Indulgences have their rightful place; i.e., there is apostolic precedent to preaching pardon in Christ
18. To assert that the Pope has power to remit sin is to blaspheme the Pope himself
19. The Pope’s graces come from God via spiritual gifting
20. If grace is free to all, then it ought not be limited to those who purchase indulgences
21. Let’s not make money off of prayers for the dead – they’re past the point of intercession
22. Why doesn’t the Pope use his own wealth, which is substantial, to build St. Peter’s?
23. Remittance of sin by the Pope is redundant
24. These questions are serious and deserve the attention of and reply from the Pope.”

This Sunday, i do hope preachers everywhere will celebrate the Reformation’s birthday, and as a presbyterian, i have no doubt my teaching elder will discuss some commentary of the Reformers. It does my heart good to hear about them at church. I hope everyone will give thanks for God using the reformers to reach out and spread His word to others, which alone is more than the catholic rulers ever did for the people.

many of the reformers faced extreme difficulties for delivering the truth, some were burned alive, many were excommunicated and forced to flee and live elsewhere in hiding. And yet, despite the hardships, the most important thing on their minds was the spreading of Gods true gospel. Its hard to imagine what society would look like today without the Reformers, we owe it to them to continue on in our worship of the Lord, spreading the gospel, and giving all the glory to God.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“ Birds of a Feather flock together”
When a Legalist like yourself who believes in “ Lucky Repentance” hangs around with other deceived and confused “ believers” of the same ilk, I’m sure it feels very warm and fuzzy.....one must NEVER expose themselves to the teachings of somebody that just “ might” be a little wiser than themselves.....you and your buddies got Everything right and if you have to leave your comfort zone because somebody opened your eyes about something , you would just be “ parroting” what somebody else said....
Poor Timothy and other followers of Paul as he followed Christ......I’m sure they read Scripture before Paul arrived on the scene and had their own, private “ take”.....they did not have the courage like you do to stay “ stiff- Necked” .....history shows that they “ caved”—— They “ Parroted” everything the more Gifted Teacher said.....Thank God ....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gee.....I wonder why Jesus left out so much ! Jesus never struck me as Somebody that would short- change people and cause them to be damned.....Could it be that He gave the Essential Starting point that would put one on the path to get to Heaven.....wouldn’t it be Crazy if Jesus knew that if a man did nothing but “ Believe”, That would allow God to put His Holy Spirit in that man, and once that was accomplished , God could carry through with His Promise to “ Finish the Good Work that He started?” Maybe He could also fulfill His Promise to “ Save to the Uttermost” all that simply Believed in His Son.....Nah, that would be “ greasy Grace” , wouldn’t it? Purchased by the Precious “ greasy” Blood Of Jesus, I suppose......

You think we are Saved by “ how we lived our lives?” Wow. My Bible says that we are Saved by Grace —- NO room for Works or Boasting—- the things that You promote....The Gospel That Saves is ALL about what God has done for man—- it’s NOT about what man does for God.......” How you live your life” is not the reception of a gift....any “ performance” on your part determines blessings in this life and rewards in the next.....

God says that Salvation is a GIFT.....you falsely claim it is a trade.....we “ live our lives right” and He in turn , trades us Eternal Life....

You don't believe in the song , “ Nothing But The Blood” —— I urge you again to rip it out of your hymnal....God hates lying singers.....Here’s another song you need to rip out....it’s called “ Rock Of Ages”.....it contains the words, “ NOTHING in my hands I bring, simply to the Cross I cling”..... I hope the Newbies in here are not afraid to “ parrot” the words contained in these songs.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think we are Saved by “ how we lived our lives?”
How we lived our lives shows if we are saved.
That's why Jesus will look at our lives when separating the sheep from the goats (Matthew 25:31-46).
That is why the person who does not do the will of God will not be saved when Jesus comes back. They show by their lives that Jesus does not know them. Their lack of fruit shows that Jesus is not in them.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a Legalist like yourself who believes in “ Lucky Repentance”
I see you still do not know what the definition of a legalist is, lol.
And for some reason you still think I'm the one who was pushing what you call the 'lucky repentance' doctrine.
You scare me, lol.