Rejoice in the Lord Always!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks,
Funny you mention this today. Just got back from the dog park and, that is where I like to talk to God. I was in well, not the greatest place. My prayer time with Him turned into more of a question session..'why have you not taken this from me Lord? You know I can't do it yet...it still rears it's ugly head no matter how much I pray for it to be taken from me...or for me to be "delivered" from it. So, I do agree with PW and what she say's on this matter...we all fall short of perfection in these flesh bodies and carnal minds. It seems everyone I know well does have a certain area where they struggle in more so than others. It's a thorn of sorts, ha ha! Yet, my question to God (one of them) today was, why Lord will this not go away completely? Why, when it leads me into sin by being short tempered and frustrated will you not take it from me?
All I could think of on the way to the park was, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."
And yeah, taking matters into our own hands :eek: when i do not acknowledge Him in ALL my ways, I screw up royally and...yep, frustration, anger...and to think that when I do acknowledge Him...things really do go smooth. It is such a growth thing and, in hindsight, I bet you could see that the things you mentioned in your OP have indeed, decreased over time?
In Him
nancy
Such short memories we have :oops:

Excellent, Nancy! Thanks for this!

I had it out with God about some things recently. He has spoken some promises to me, some of them years ago, that I have yet to see fulfilled. I have to say that I wasn't very nice to Him about it at all! But He is so kind and forgiving! He didn't strike me with lightening (even though some has come close to my house lately, lol).

He has NEVER left me nor forsaken me, as @marks pointed out!!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True, Nancy, especially in these turbulent times. I just heard a pastor talk about a dream he had, and it seems that things may get even rougher this fall. I pray that this will not be the case, but whatever happens, we can rejoice and have peace!

Ty Prayer Warrior,
"whatever happens, we can rejoice and have peace!"
And oh how I hope and pray we all will choose to do that very thing when the tougher times come our way. And, I don't see anything getting better...only worse. Oh Lord strengthen our faith! Amen..

"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come."

"I just heard a pastor talk about a dream he had, and it seems that things may get even rougher this fall."

This comes as kind of a confirmation to me. I've thought for sometime now, during this Covid-life that...things will also get worse in the fall...I can see a bigger than usual flu epidemic...forced vaccines...police state, Church's closing or, being closed...some might say that is just conspiracy theory but, cannot help what I think. It just seems like it's all coming together as God has revealed to us in His Word.
So, on that Debby Downer note, lol..."let us rejoice in ALL things"!
We are a peculiar people :D

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks,
Funny you mention this today. Just got back from the dog park and, that is where I like to talk to God. I was in well, not the greatest place. My prayer time with Him turned into more of a question session..'why have you not taken this from me Lord? You know I can't do it yet...it still rears it's ugly head no matter how much I pray for it to be taken from me...or for me to be "delivered" from it. So, I do agree with PW and what she say's on this matter...we all fall short of perfection in these flesh bodies and carnal minds. It seems everyone I know well does have a certain area where they struggle in more so than others. It's a thorn of sorts, ha ha! Yet, my question to God (one of them) today was, why Lord will this not go away completely? Why, when it leads me into sin by being short tempered and frustrated will you not take it from me?
All I could think of on the way to the park was, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."
And yeah, taking matters into our own hands :eek: when i do not acknowledge Him in ALL my ways, I screw up royally and...yep, frustration, anger...and to think that when I do acknowledge Him...things really do go smooth. It is such a growth thing and, in hindsight, I bet you could see that the things you mentioned in your OP have indeed, decreased over time?
In Him
nancy
Such short memories we have :oops:
Hi Nancy,

I guess for me it really comes down to whether I'm basing me feelings on what I see, in the world, in myself, or what I believe, about God, about Jesus, what He's done for me.

If I were trying to base my emotional state on what I see, then the only way I can rejoice constantly would be if I only saw good. Does "living in reality" mean we cannot rejoice, considering the state of this world, and ourselves?

Yes, I think we do tend to grow into this, but I also think we can apprehend it in faith, now.

I have the same issues, How long o Lord?

CS Lewis made a point in Mere Christianity I've not forgotten, that we try and fail and try and fail and try and fail, and we consider ourselves failures because we try and fail. But maybe God is building a character that will keep trying in obedience and faith even though all they see is failure.

Trusting Him with everything, even my weaknesses and failings, really trusting that He's got this, this makes me very happy indeed!

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m enjoying this uplifting discussion! I just remembered a verse that I find amazing.

2 Cor 4:5-7--For we are not proclaiming ourselves but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your slaves because of Jesus. For God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God’s glory in the face of Jesus Christ. Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this extraordinary power may be from God and not from us.

We carry the light of the knowledge of God's glory in our imperfect earthly bodies--clay jars, earthen vessels! Wow!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

I guess for me it really comes down to whether I'm basing me feelings on what I see, in the world, in myself, or what I believe, about God, about Jesus, what He's done for me.

If I were trying to base my emotional state on what I see, then the only way I can rejoice constantly would be if I only saw good. Does "living in reality" mean we cannot rejoice, considering the state of this world, and ourselves?

Yes, I think we do tend to grow into this, but I also think we can apprehend it in faith, now.

I have the same issues, How long o Lord?

CS Lewis made a point in Mere Christianity I've not forgotten, that we try and fail and try and fail and try and fail, and we consider ourselves failures because we try and fail. But maybe God is building a character that will keep trying in obedience and faith even though all they see is failure.

Trusting Him with everything, even my weaknesses and failings, really trusting that He's got this, this makes me very happy indeed!

Much love!

"Yes, I think we do tend to grow into this, but I also think we can apprehend it in faith, now."

It's the "apprehension" part that can be like trying to grasp and hold onto a hyped up greased piglet! Haha. But, as you say "we do tend to grow into this"

"If I were trying to base my emotional state on what I see, then the only way I can rejoice constantly would be if I only saw good. Does "living in reality" mean we cannot rejoice, considering the state of this world, and ourselves?"

I've heard said that His joy is not synonymous with the "happiness" we have known in this world. Then there is depression. There were many of Gods people who fell into depression, and because of the plight of the world for the most part so...are we any different?

I think the Joy of The Lord is grasped when we realize fully what He has done for us, and as He restores us to Him. Only when we realize how we've sinned against Him, grieved His Spirit and ignored His instruction can we know what He's done for us and...JOY should then come about...after a time of feeling horrid for all those things we did not realize. The more the Holy Spirit shines inside our hearts, the more of the ugly we see...so then we can deal with it...or not...? Then we have the...well, how to deal with this or that!!! Lol. Yeah, it is most definitely a growth thing. :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m enjoying this uplifting discussion! I just remembered a verse that I find amazing.

2 Cor 4:5-7--For we are not proclaiming ourselves but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your slaves because of Jesus. For God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God’s glory in the face of Jesus Christ. Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this extraordinary power may be from God and not from us.

We carry the light of the knowledge of God's glory in our imperfect earthly bodies--clay jars, earthen vessels! Wow!

Great passage! Illuminating!

If we are focused on the clay jars, misery. If we are focused on the light of Christ shining inside, Joy!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Yes, I think we do tend to grow into this, but I also think we can apprehend it in faith, now."

It's the "apprehension" part that can be like trying to grasp and hold onto a hyped up greased piglet! Haha. But, as you say "we do tend to grow into this"
Rolling on the floor with hysterical laughter!!

I think for me the best I can describe is 'getting used to the idea'.

I've heard said that His joy is not synonymous with the "happiness" we have known in this world. Then there is depression. There were many of Gods people who fell into depression, and because of the plight of the world for the most part so...are we any different?

There is the happiness that the old man experiences, pleasures in this world, and in the mind. But for as many times as I've heard sermons about "Christian Joy", that you shouldn't think of this as real and even extreme happiness, I don't see that at all in the text of Scripture.

And it doesn't make any sense to me at all that there is somehow this "theological joy" that isn't actually joyful.

You mention depression, and I've got a pretty good case of it.

This past weekend was a good example. It reared it's ugly head but good! My poor wife! I really unloaded on her a few times! It can creep up on me sometimes. I went though a number of very negative emotional states this last weekend, and the week before.

However, what I've learned is that while the body is experiencing chemical based depression, including the 'mind of the flesh', the mind of Christ is not so hindered. I've learned that returning my attention to Christ in faith can restore my joy in a heartbeat, EVEN WHILE I continue to experience the effects of depression.

I think God allowed these things to happen with me so that I would understand about the corruption of the flesh, and our freedom in Christ.

I think the Joy of The Lord is grasped when we realize fully what He has done for us, and as He restores us to Him. Only when we realize how we've sinned against Him, grieved His Spirit and ignored His instruction can we know what He's done for us and...JOY should then come about...after a time of feeling horrid for all those things we did not realize. The more the Holy Spirit shines inside our hearts, the more of the ugly we see...so then we can deal with it...or not...? Then we have the...well, how to deal with this or that!!! Lol. Yeah, it is most definitely a growth thing. :)

I agree with this. Realizing how ugly my flesh is even right now, but that Jesus has freed me from it. And even if I falter, and do what I do not want, even then, Jesus still has freed me from my sin. Nevermore to be under it's power, nevermore to be under condemnation, forever free to be in a love relationship with God. That's a good reason to me to joy, right now!

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the reason. There has to be a reason. We're not told to be anxious over nothing just because we will be happier with our heads in the sand! But because we have No Reason at all to be anxious, do we?

Unless we're thinking that God won't take care of us. Unless we're thinking that we still have a sin problem. Unless we're thinking that we're not good enough, or whatever it is.

I suggest that if we are not rejoicing at any given time, it's because our heads are in the wrong place.

Much love!
Our heads are the problem! Is not Jesus to be our Head? Remember the very graphic example of John the Baptist and his head. They cut off his head, but I suspect already he had a better Head in Jesus... and us? Are we ready for them to cut off our heads, if it comes to that?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent, Nancy! Thanks for this!

I had it out with God about some things recently. He has spoken some promises to me, some of them years ago, that I have yet to see fulfilled. I have to say that I wasn't very nice to Him about it at all! But He is so kind and forgiving! He didn't strike me with lightening (even though some has come close to my house lately, lol).

He has NEVER left me nor forsaken me, as @marks pointed out!!
How long did Moses have to wait? After 40 year he presumed he was ready when he killed the Egyptians. Only after another 40 years then with wife and family working with the animals in the desert did he finally see the burning bush and then it was time...to begin that final 40 years.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus still has freed me from my sin. Nevermore to be under it's power, nevermore to be under condemnation, forever free to be in a love relationship with God. That's a good reason to me to joy, right now!
I just sat down again, and reread these words . . . God also tells us we're to have grateful hearts towards Him. I've never found a greater thankfulness than in understanding God has reconciled me to Himself. Pure and simple truth. There is nothing between us, He has NOTHING against me, and that has nothing to do with me!

Christ is my righteousness! He's taken away all my sin. He's forgiven all sin in me. He's put me to death, satisfying the law of sin and death. He's raised me from the dead a new and righteous man. His Spirit testifies with my spirit that I am a child of God.

Grateful is much too small a word!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we ready for them to cut off our heads, if it comes to that?
It just sends me to Jesus! Affliction brings glory, and the greater affliction, I believe, the greater the glory. To be put to death for Christ, is, I think, the greatest glory we can attain to in this world.

Are we ready? Is anyone ready? But God gives us grace.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our heads are the problem! Is not Jesus to be our Head? Remember the very graphic example of John the Baptist and his head. They cut off his head, but I suspect already he had a better Head in Jesus... and us?
He must increase, and I must decrease, even to death. Put to death therefore your members which are upon the earth . . .

For you are hid with Christ in God, and when Christ, who is your life, appears, you also Will Appear With Him in Glory. Therefore mortify . . .

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is repeated immediately. I think God means it.

So what are the implications of rejoicing always? How do we do that? Not just pretending that we feel extreme happiness when we don't, but to be truly happy all the time?

Much love!

Horray! A spiritual thread!

I think for me it involves two things:
1. Being in the center of God's will, and
2. Trusting Him for all things

I've had to go through some rough stuff lately, from disciplining people on the forums to having to withstand the cross in my own personal life. None of it has been anything I'd call "fun," but through it all there has been a peace, like I'm doing what is being asked of me. And I know through all the concerns about the Virus and financial troubles and things that nothing would separate me from the protection and provision of God, so there has been a peace there as well. And the way I see it, if we can maintain our joy and peace through the tough times, how much easier will it be when the good times come! :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It just sends me to Jesus! Affliction brings glory, and the greater affliction, I believe, the greater the glory. To be put to death for Christ, is, I think, the greatest glory we can attain to in this world.

Are we ready? Is anyone ready? But God gives us grace.

Much love!

Paul has written about his close calls with natural death, but here he speaks from his heart:

"And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily." I Cor 15:30-31

By rejoicing and dying every day, was he not ready when he really reached it?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Horray! A spiritual thread!

I think for me it involves two things:
1. Being in the center of God's will, and
2. Trusting Him for all things

I've had to go through some rough stuff lately, from disciplining people on the forums to having to withstand the cross in my own personal life. None of it has been anything I'd call "fun," but through it all there has been a peace, like I'm doing what is being asked of me. And I know through all the concerns about the Virus and financial troubles and things that nothing would separate me from the protection and provision of God, so there has been a peace there as well. And the way I see it, if we can maintain our joy and peace through the tough times, how much easier will it be when the good times come! :)
Hi HIH,

I've come to the idea that all there really is in my life is right now, something that is gone in the time it takes to type it. And all there is for me to do - right now - is to trust Jesus. In all the ways that can mean, to trust in His reconciliation, and sanctification, and all the rest. To trust Him for all my needs.

The greater the affliction, the more a distraction it can be, I know! And I agree with you, if we can run with the horses, we should be able to walk with them, right?

So long as it doesn't get too easy, maybe . . .

You mention being in the center of God's will. Can we trust Him enough to believe that we are actually in the center of His will? That "even this" is part of God's plan?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul has written about his close calls with natural death, but here he speaks from his heart:

"And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?
I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily." I Cor 15:30-31

By rejoicing and dying every day, was he not ready when he really reached it?
Yes, Paul! Yes, I think he was.

2 Timothy 4:18 "And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

I think he believed it. That the Lord would in fact deliver him, even from death, to preserve him. What made him so confident, do you think?

Much love!