Religion (To bind)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
This thread is about religion in the sense of biding (as opposed to the sense of 'true religion' which James tells us about). This is my thoughts on it.

What is religious is any scheme that claims to reconcile us to God without actually changing our spiritual reality and truly making us one with him, not only in word, but in spirit and truth.

The error of today is to think that unity is according to doctrine. We somehow think that if we have the right answers, God will accept us. But the commandment is to follow him, and to abide in him, and in his love. Doctrine will fall into place after that.

Whenever we promote unity according to a certain doctrine, as opposed to unity according to love in the Spirit, we promote dead religion, and the building of Babel.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It's not about "religion". It's about "relationship".

Yes. :)

Sadly, we make it about religion whenever we unite according to doctrine, which happens alot. It highlights our blindness. The reality is we must unite according to spirit, coming together because of brotherly love and love for the Lord.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we often, automatically reject religion - it is not that simple, unfortunately. Everything we do in relationship with God falls under religion. Religion is merely the term we use for a collection of vocabulary and ritual used to relate to the abstract character of God. It is a vehicle to God - unfortunately, one person's diving-board for exploration of God is another person's path to meaninglessness. The Wesley brothers are a great example - they came up with a fantastic method for interpreting scripture and praising God through song.......yet, many people find Methodism a slog, today. And liberalism is the result.

I have come to the conclusion - for myself - to choose life within the confines of religion.......I believe the downside of religion is outweighed by the upside of knowing God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
I think we often, automatically reject religion - it is not that simple, unfortunately. Everything we do in relationship with God falls under religion. Religion is merely the term we use for a collection of vocabulary and ritual used to relate to the abstract character of God. It is a vehicle to God - unfortunately, one person's diving-board for exploration of God is another person's path to meaninglessness. The Wesley brothers are a great example - they came up with a fantastic method for interpreting scripture and praising God through song.......yet, many people find Methodism a slog, today. And liberalism is the result.

I have come to the conclusion - for myself - to choose life within the confines of religion.......I believe the downside of religion is outweighed by the upside of knowing God.

I do agree with you, in that sense of religion. I was using another sense often conveyed. :)

Ultimately I think we are called to be free from all religion of this kind because we can follow Christ by the Spirit. I would compare the 'religion' you are talking about to the law, which is a tutor to come to Christ. It teaches us righteousness, and about our own state, it reveals our need, and if we are honest, it works in us righteousness.

But we have been called to a higher righteousness, that is, the righteousness of Christ. We are to be part of a living body, walking together in the Spirit of the Lord. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm.....I need to think about your post before responding, Prentis........how exciting!