"Religion! Who needs it?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Religion! Who needs it?" or "Religious Tyranny:"

If you can see it, all the persecutions of true Christians has come from the religious. In this writing I am going to point out what I see in religions.

In the days of the Tower of Babble men made up religions based on their imaginations. Each religion had leaders who, with a supposed higher knowledge of God, lead the people. These leaders used this to control others.

When Constantine, a man who knew many false gods of the world's religions, organized the Christian church into a physical Church, and a state sanctioned church, he set it up like all of the other religions of the times. He was influenced by the Pagan Roman religions as well as the Jewish religion.

It was not long after Constantine made the Christian Religion a state religion that the leaders of the state sanctioned church went from being persecuted, by others, to persecuting all those that did not willingly believe, and submit, to the RCC doctrines.

For well over a thousand years, the Roman Catholic Church hunted down all that disagreed with them, called them "heretics" and had them killed by the secular rulers. IMO I believe that some of these "heretics" were children of God who believed in Jesus but refused the doctrines advocated by the RCC.

But the Roman Catholic Church was not alone. The protestant Churches that broke away persecuted those with other beliefs as well, and some also had people burned at the stake. Think about Calvin and his influence in the city of Geneva. His policy was not tolerant of the beliefs of others. Many people with different ideas, including Catholics, were put to death between 1542 and 1564. It is a fact that even on Christian forums to day there are those that are not tolerant of others that do not share their beliefs and if it were possible, they would have those that disagree with them burned at the stake.

Think about it, all through history religions have caused wars, suffering, and slavery. Even today we have a religion that causes some to kill for it. It is also true that many, on forums, practice character assassination and harassment towards those who do not believe the same as they do. It is the different doctrines, rituals, ceremonies, and the ideas on living life, that men have in religion that separate men today. In every nation where religion has controlled, or controls, the secular government there has been oppression and murder in the name of religion. The framers of the USA Constitution took this into consideration when they separated, by law, religion from the secular government.

It should be noticed that all persecution of the Children of God has come from the religious sector. It was the religious leaders (Pharisees) that persecuted Jesus. It was religious Jews that stoned Stephen to death (Acts 7) and tried to kill Paul (Acts 21).

Today there are religious people trying to place people under religious governments. The problem is under whose interpretation of religion are we to live.

Religion is what man does for the god they have created in their own mind. However, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not a religion. It is not about what man does for God but is about what God has done for man. It is God making a way for each, and everyone, of us to come back to Him and have a personal relationship with Him even though they are still sinful. God walked with man in the garden and wants to walk with man today. It is this relationship that God is interested in, not rituals and ceremonies that men do to look so religious.

But most do not want a close, honest, personal, relationship with God in their hearts. They prefer to have a relationship with an impersonal religion. Why, because they do not have to be honest with it. They can hide their deeds and thoughts.

John 3:19-20 (NKJ)
19 "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 "For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Jesus is the light and everyone that comes to Him in a personal relationship must expose his or her deeds and thoughts to Him. Anyone can participate in an organized religion. Organized religion cannot see into the heart.

Even the Bible says that religion is not what we think it is:

Col 2:20-23 (NKJ)
20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations--
21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,"
22 which all concern things which perish with the using-- according to the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

2 Cor 11:13-15 (NKJ)
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works. (NKJ)

Satan's goal is not to have you involved in overt sin and iniquity. Satan's goal is to have you appear righteous on the outside but spiritually dead on the inside. He wants you to be religious, but lost, just as the scribes and Pharisees (Matt 23:25-28)

Paul, a Jew among Jews, knowledgeable in the Jewish traditions and laws in religion, gave them all up and counted them as rubbish in order to gain Christ. He said nothing about religion because that is what he had given up.

Phil 3:8 (NKJ)
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Written in 1999 by H Richard

Reactions: justbyfaith

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, what thread on religion wouldn't include this verse...

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
..and a definition of the term 'religion'.
religion...
53.1 θρησκεία ας f ας f ας f: (includes: εὐσέβεια[α], θεοσέβεια) appropriate beliefs and devout practice of obligations relating to supernatural persons and powers - religion, piety. θρησκεία μὴ χαλιναγωγω̂ν γλω̂σσαν αὐτου̂ ἀλλὰ ἀπατω̂ν καρδίαν αὐτου̂τούτου μάταιος ἡ θρησκεία if he does not control his tongue, he deceives himself, and his religion is worthless JAS.1:26. εὐσέβεια[a]: ὁμολογουμένως μέγα ἐστὶν τὸ τη̂ς εὐσεβείας μυστήριον without any doubt, the secret of (our) religion is great 1TI.3:16. θεοσέβεια ὅ πρέπει γυναιξὶν ἐπαγγελλομέναις θεοσέβειαν as is proper for women who proclaim their religion 1TI.2:10.
In a number of languages there is no specific term equivalent to religion, but one may always speak of this phase of culture by some phrase such as how to act toward God or what one does to placate spirits or how one worships.
The Greek-English Lexicon Based on Semantic Domain
by Louw and Nida

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Religion! Who needs it?" or "Religious Tyranny:"

If you can see it, all the persecutions of true Christians has come from the religious. In this writing I am going to point out what I see in religions.

In the days of the Tower of Babble men made up religions based on their imaginations. Each religion had leaders who, with a supposed higher knowledge of God, lead the people. These leaders used this to control others.

When Constantine, a man who knew many false gods of the world's religions, organized the Christian church into a physical Church, and a state sanctioned church, he set it up like all of the other religions of the times. He was influenced by the Pagan Roman religions as well as the Jewish religion.

It was not long after Constantine made the Christian Religion a state religion that the leaders of the state sanctioned church went from being persecuted, by others, to persecuting all those that did not willingly believe, and submit, to the RCC doctrines.

For well over a thousand years, the Roman Catholic Church hunted down all that disagreed with them, called them "heretics" and had them killed by the secular rulers. IMO I believe that some of these "heretics" were children of God who believed in Jesus but refused the doctrines advocated by the RCC.

But the Roman Catholic Church was not alone. The protestant Churches that broke away persecuted those with other beliefs as well, and some also had people burned at the stake. Think about Calvin and his influence in the city of Geneva. His policy was not tolerant of the beliefs of others. Many people with different ideas, including Catholics, were put to death between 1542 and 1564. It is a fact that even on Christian forums to day there are those that are not tolerant of others that do not share their beliefs and if it were possible, they would have those that disagree with them burned at the stake.

Think about it, all through history religions have caused wars, suffering, and slavery. Even today we have a religion that causes some to kill for it. It is also true that many, on forums, practice character assassination and harassment towards those who do not believe the same as they do. It is the different doctrines, rituals, ceremonies, and the ideas on living life, that men have in religion that separate men today. In every nation where religion has controlled, or controls, the secular government there has been oppression and murder in the name of religion. The framers of the USA Constitution took this into consideration when they separated, by law, religion from the secular government.

It should be noticed that all persecution of the Children of God has come from the religious sector. It was the religious leaders (Pharisees) that persecuted Jesus. It was religious Jews that stoned Stephen to death (Acts 7) and tried to kill Paul (Acts 21).

Today there are religious people trying to place people under religious governments. The problem is under whose interpretation of religion are we to live.

Religion is what man does for the god they have created in their own mind. However, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not a religion. It is not about what man does for God but is about what God has done for man. It is God making a way for each, and everyone, of us to come back to Him and have a personal relationship with Him even though they are still sinful. God walked with man in the garden and wants to walk with man today. It is this relationship that God is interested in, not rituals and ceremonies that men do to look so religious.

But most do not want a close, honest, personal, relationship with God in their hearts. They prefer to have a relationship with an impersonal religion. Why, because they do not have to be honest with it. They can hide their deeds and thoughts.

John 3:19-20 (NKJ)
19 "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 "For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Jesus is the light and everyone that comes to Him in a personal relationship must expose his or her deeds and thoughts to Him. Anyone can participate in an organized religion. Organized religion cannot see into the heart.

Even the Bible says that religion is not what we think it is:

Col 2:20-23 (NKJ)
20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations--
21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,"
22 which all concern things which perish with the using-- according to the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

2 Cor 11:13-15 (NKJ)
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works. (NKJ)

Satan's goal is not to have you involved in overt sin and iniquity. Satan's goal is to have you appear righteous on the outside but spiritually dead on the inside. He wants you to be religious, but lost, just as the scribes and Pharisees (Matt 23:25-28)

Paul, a Jew among Jews, knowledgeable in the Jewish traditions and laws in religion, gave them all up and counted them as rubbish in order to gain Christ. He said nothing about religion because that is what he had given up.

Phil 3:8 (NKJ)
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Written in 1999 by H Richard

Religion. Who needs it? Well, might you ask? Where I live I am choked by religion. Mention doing anything that does not conform to the status quo and the seagulls rise up in fright.

We have 45 churches no more than about 10 kilometres from each other. Except for two, they all meet at the same time and do the same thing, albeit with a different emphasis i.e pentecostal, Anglican but they are no different with their programme which NEVER changes from year to year.

Some of the ministers dress up all funny and some dress in everyday clothing. Occasionally they will teach but most of the time they will rabbit on about nothing. As long as we have had a meeting that achieves nothing we have done our duty.

"We had a wonderful sermon today."

"What was it about."

Thinks..."Oh, I can't remember but we had nice fellowship over a cuppa."

Doh!!

"Was the Holy Spirit present?"

"Hmm. I don't really know, but the choir sang beautifully."

"How many came to the meeting?"

"I counted about 22 but we always have a really nice time."

Yes, who needs religion?

Reactions: H. Richard