Repenting Your Way To Hell

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance biblically is to change your mind about sin, and turn to God, and ask for forgiveness of sins.. 1 John 1:9 for one.

No repentance, no salvation.

The Philippian Jailer asked Paul, “ What must I do to be Saved?” Paul did NOT say, “ Repent of your sins and thou shalt be Saved”, did he ? Paul said,” Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be Saved” ......

You mention a “ change of mind” and you are correct about that, but where you are in error is not realizing that the change of mind means to change your mind about Jesus....is He * A* son of God or is He * THE* Son Of God —- one little article of speech—- the difference between Heaven and Hell....

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Enemy has managed to create a lot of Confusion in regard to Repentance and let me make myself clear from the outset —- there will not be a single Unrepentant Soul in Heaven.....you just have understand what the word means when it comes to Salvation.....Nowhere in the KJV Bible does it say “Repent OF SINS” to be Saved......Are we to Repent? Certainly .Repent Of Sins to Be is Stay Saved?Nope.....

Trusting in the Sacrificial Blood Of Jesus Christ to take away our sins and Believing in His bodily , physical Resurrection is what Saves a man in this present Age Of Grace ( See 1Cor15:1-4)

Any type of Repentance—— no matter how “right” or “ holy” it sounds — that does not include Trusting in that Gospel that gives ALL the credit and Glory to Jesus and Him ALONE ain’t gonna get it......

If you are one of the many that thinks that Repentance means a profound Sorrow for sin , and that a regret and perhaps a resolve to “ do better” is the way to get Saved ......( changing from an immoral person to a moral one)you need to know that Hell will be replete with “moral” people.....Ghandi was a “ moral “ person......he is in Hell today not because he was immoral.....he is in Hell because he was an Unbeliever.....and if “ A Profound Sorrow” in regard to sin is the Recipe for Salvation—-few people have ever Repented in “that” manner to the extent that Judas did....He was so sorry for his terrible sin of betraying Christ that he even returned the thirty pieces of silver and still felt so remorseful that he could not live with himself and went out and hung himself.....so, there “ is” that type of Repentance, but clearly it does not Save......not if it is alone......not if the Gospel is absent...continuing to think that you are Saved because you “ turned over a new leaf” will lead to your Damnation...

There is another type of “ Repentance” that has been around for a long time that some confused people think is the way to be Saved.......it’s that type of Repentance that says one must “ STOP SINNING”..... that would be a vast improvement as opposed to “ KEEP SINNING”.......We should ALL do our best to stop sinning.....Sinning is not pleasing to God and it always winds up hurting the one that commits the sins.....if you are a Child Of God ( as usual, see 1Cor15:1-4) God does not want to see you do things that will hurt Him, yourself and others, so yes—- Stop Sinning ! Of course , but it is impossible to do this to the standard that God demands if you choose to go down this path to obtain your Justification.....We can’t repent of ALL of our sins because the Bible says that we all “ stumble” and even Paul said he could never reach the level that he should have reached.....God has us all trapped in this regard....even if you have never committed Adultery, Jesus makes it clear that if You even have a lustful thought, you are an Adulterer in the eyes of God......And let’s not forget to mention those pesky “ Sins Of Omission”—— If you know that something is right to do and you fail to do it—- it is Sin.How much time have you spend watching television when you could have been helping out at the soup line or taking strangers into your home to feed and clothe them....so you must understand , to “Stop Sinning” is a worthy goal, but it’s impossible as long as we are in theses weak vessels of flesh.....so when the Bible says to stop sinning...do it to the best your ability ....God will bless you for it.....He just won’t Save you for it...it gives absolutely no credit to the Shed Blood Of Christ.....One Who continues in this false line of thinking without including and trusting in the Gospel also will be damned ......

The Repentance That God demands is a “change of mind” —- that is another type of Repentance ( the Bible translates at least two different Greek words as “ repentance “ , therein lies the confusion ) Anybody that does not Believe the Gospel and goes on to “ change his mind” about it and becomes a Believer in the Gospel that has “ The Power to Save” has done all the Repenting he or she ever need do to become Saved .....

If one is stubborn about it , there “ is” One Sin That must be Repented of ......that would be the sin of “ self- Righteousness” —— thinking That your “ performance” has made you “ good enough” to merit Salvation.....Faith in the Gospel shows that one has moved beyond this Satanic Delusion......

To summarize —— yes, we must all Repent , but make sure you understand what it means in regard to Salvation....If you are an a Unbeliever , “ change your mind about Jesus “ and become a Believer in His death, burial and resurrection and trust that He died for your sins.... This True type Of Repentance Saves .....other types of Repentance can be positive things .....but if your choice of repentance does not include giving ALL of the credit for your Salvation to Jesus and Him alone—- you will be damned....
Jesus did command us to repent (Matthew 4:17).

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9 if you CONFESS YOUR SINS, they are forgiven.,

You don’t avoid hell without sins being forgiven, and sins are forgiven when they are confessed and repented of.

Jesus used an example of a publican praying his repentance to God and being justified:

Luk 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified

The prodigal son was dead in his sins until he returned and repented of his sins, then was made alive again, after being lost:

In the prodigal son story, the father represents God, the son represents believers.

He’s already a son when the story starts, and we only become sons of god by receiving Jesus, John 1:12.

He leaves the father to live in sin

When he returns to the father in repentance, the father says: this is my son WHO WAS DEAD, but is now alive AGAIN, he WAS LOST, but now IS FOUND.

Luke 15:32- It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother *was dead*, and is *alive again*; and *was lost*, and *is found*.

He obviously wasn’t dead physically and resurrected.

How then was he dead?

He was dead in his sins.

Ephesians 2:1 - And you hath he quickened,who WERE DEAD in *trespasses and sins*

Thus the son was alive, left his Father to live a sinful life, became DEAD in his sins, then returned in repentance of his sins, and became alive AGAIN.

Repentance includes sorrow for sins and asking for forgiveness of them.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did command us to repent (Matthew 4:17).[/QUOTE

Notice that Jesus did not say “Repent OF SINS In order to be Saved”........ if by “ Repent” he meant “ TURN ( a definition of the word “ repent” ) to God”, then you have something that will actually Save you ......as in , “TURN to Me and I will TURN to you”
Jesus gave an example of a True Repentance That will Save when he talked about the wicked Publican ,who with a Contrite Heart , cried out to God — “ Lord, have mercy on me , a Sinner”.....That Guy “ went home Justified ( Saved)......
I Have prayed that prayer....it got me “ Justified” too! It seems to me that the Starting Point Of Christianity is having that “ Contrite Heart” ....got one? Better pray for it if you don’t .....Only the Holy Spirit can provide it....” Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him” .....this is how that Spirit “ draws”——- the Conviction Of Sin.....That is what should give you that “ Contrite Heart” .....nobody in Heaven will be without one....

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we have found agreement on this issue in the past. We seem to come at it from two different directions. The only point I try to make is that sin gets us into trouble. To avoid that trouble, we should try not to sin. It's got nothing to do with being saved, unless you are talking about being saved from a lot of trouble (here on earth).

Reactions: BloodBought 1953