Respect Ebbing Away

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Watching an episode of an American TV Series yesterday at my daughters home, there were scenes where a man, supposedly able, because of a mental condition to discern lies, through voice inflection and eye movements etc., was placed before a television screen, and two former American presidents appeared on the screen separately, representing both political parties, making public speeches, and the detector was responding with cackles of laughter to the screen, indicating that these presidents were telling lies.

It seems wrong to me, that such men, who both served their country to the best of their ability should be vilified in this way, though in this case in a fictional scenario. This sort of denigration takes place so much these days, respect for the office held seems no longer to be given, and applying equally to anyone in a position of authority, be it Policeman, Teacher, Doctor, or Politician.

It is all contributing to a social break-down of respect generally, everywhere; and resulting in more law and order issues, I feel.

Christine

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I came to abolish all rule and authority is prolly not going to be pretty to someone under the law, ya
'And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down,
and the haughtiness of men shall be made low:
and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
And the idols He shall utterly abolish.'

(Isaiah 2:17-18)

Hi @bbyrd009,

We are all under whatever law and authority exists within the lands we occupy, aren't we?
* You must be referring to, 1 Corinthians 15:24:-

'Then cometh the end,
when He shall have delivered up the kingdom to God,
even the Father;
when He shall have put down
all rule and all authority and power.'

* Yes, @bbyrd009, and He will then reign in righteousness.

'Behold, the days come, saith the LORD,
that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch,
and a King shall reign and prosper,
and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely:
and this is his name whereby he shall be called,
THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.'

(Jeremiah 23:5)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Speaking of respect...

The other day my wife calls me and says to me, hey there's nobody home, why don't you drop in. So I did and there was nobody home. I get no respect...

Couldn't help that... ;)

B

Butterfly

Hello there,

Watching an episode of an American TV Series yesterday at my daughters home, there were scenes where a man, supposedly able, because of a mental condition to discern lies, through voice inflection and eye movements etc., was placed before a television screen, and two former American presidents appeared on the screen separately, representing both political parties, making public speeches, and the detector was responding with cackles of laughter to the screen, indicating that these presidents were telling lies.

It seems wrong to me, that such men, who both served their country to the best of their ability should be vilified in this way, though in this case in a fictional scenario. This sort of denigration takes place so much these days, respect for the office held seems no longer to be given, and applying equally to anyone in a position of authority, be it Policeman, Teacher, Doctor, or Politician.

It is all contributing to a social break-down of respect generally, everywhere; and resulting in more law and order issues, I feel.

Christine
It's difficult isn't it, on the one hand you want to show respect to people in authority, but often as not many just prove themselves to be hypercritical and abuse the power they have. Not sure that's what you mean. The police in the UK, I have always respected, doctors and teachers to, but politicians I struggle with that. ( especially at the moment !! )
The thing is though, doesn't respect begin at home, in how we teach the younger generation when they are children. Also, in schools they took away the corporal punishment and now it's all about rights, so children learn from a very early age that ' they ' have a bit of power themselves.
I also think the respect for the elderly has changed with young people as well- sorry I am going off in a different direction, but when I was younger I was always made to get up and give someone my seat on the bus if they were elderly, now the elderly almost have to demand that a young person gets up- especially young mums and students from Europe !
Right I will shut up now xx
Rita

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is no respecter of persons...but that does not mean we should not be. On the contrary, we are to honor mother and father, and those in authority. I should think it begins at home...parents not respecting each other, and showing little or no respect for bosses and public figures. Kids pick that stuff up.