REST for God's People!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

How can we “rest in the Lord” (Psalm 37:7)?​

Rest in the Lord is a frequently used expression in the Bible. When the psalmist says, “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him” (Psalm 37:7, NKJV), he’s not talking about physical rest that involves taking a break from activity, relaxing, napping, or stopping to gather strength to continue or complete some physical undertaking. Rest in the Lord refers to a spiritual rest from confusion, worry, stress, useless human effort, and a break from all internal, external, mortal, and spiritual enemies.

The Hebrew word translated as “rest” means “to be at peace,” “to be still,” “to be quiet or calm.” In place of “rest in the Lord,” some Bible translations say, “Be still before the Lord” (ESV and NIV), “Be silent before the Lord” (CSB), “Surrender yourself to the Lord” (GW), and “Be still in the presence of the Lord” (NLT). These versions convey the essential idea that to rest and be at peace, one must dwell in the presence of the Lord, surrendered to His lordship.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Continued...

Since Jesus was raised from the dead on the first day of the week, we see in the New Testament scriptures how the Apostles were led by the Lord to hold meetings on Sunday, the first days of the week. They did not call this “sabbath” since Jesus Christ IS our sabbath. They were simply led by the Lord to worship on Sunday.

We see in Acts chapter 2 that the first church service was on Sunday (the day of Pentecost they were all with one accord in one place and received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost). And, the first public evangelism meeting was also held on Sunday out in the street after the Holy Ghost was poured out in the upper room (Acts 2:14-36)

Acts 20:7
The first day of the week, the Apostles came together to break bread

1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him

Under the New Testament with Jesus Christ as our High Priest we are to die to self (Galatians 2:20) and live IN Christ, thru Christ submitting our entire lives everyday of the week to the Lord because HE is our Rest.

The word sabbath only occurs two times in the New Testament epistles. For the believer today, a sabbath rest is described in Hebrews 4:9 as a moment-by-moment rest by believers in the Lord by faith. This reference contains no commandment concerning which day the church should meet for worship.

It’s not really an issue if someone wants to go to church in Saturday but it becomes an issue when some claim that not having church services on Saturday is a sin that causes people to lose their salvation. The New Testament does not teach this and this belief is in fact extra biblical as it did not come from the Lord Jesus Who is the High Priest over the New Covenant.

Those that endeavor to keep the old covenant sabbath that was ordained as part of the Mosaic Law in Exodus 20:8-11 are actually trying to keep this part of the old covenant. If one believes they are justified by any part of the Law of Moses, they have fallen from grace and what Jesus has done becomes of no effect for them

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

John 15:15
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Under the New Covenant’s better promises (and all around better deal both for God and for man!) Jesus calls His faithful “friends” which is a dear friend, actively fond of, an associate (G5384 in Strong’s Concordance). This is because unlike in the old covenant, we are joint heirs with Christ Jesus (Romans 8:17), raised up to sit with Him in Heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6), translated from darkness into the Kingdom of God’s Dear Son (Colossians 1:13-20)

This righteousness before God is only available to those that have ceased from their own works as taught under the New Covenant seeing that the old covenant has been taken away once the New Covenant became available thru Jesus Christ. (see Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12).

Galatians 2:21
do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:11
No man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

The Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 we see how the Holy Spirit led the Apostles to conclude that gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the rules prescribed to the Jews by the Mosaic Law, such as Jewish dietary laws and the rules concerning circumcision of males. The Apostles were led by the Lord to retain the prohibitions on eating blood, meat containing blood, and meat of animals that were strangled, and on fornication and idolatry.

There was no leading by the Holy Spirit at The Council of Jerusalem to include Saturday sabbath as being a requirement for New Testament Christians to observe. Had this been the will of God that we keep Saturday sabbath under the New Covenant, the Lord would have led the Apostles to include this as a required... but, He did not do so.

Keeping Saturday sabbath is not a requirement for born again Christians and the claim that one must keep Saturday sabbath in order to be in right standing with God is not entering in to the REST that the Lord Jesus Christ has provided to His people under the New Covenant. Righteousness does not come thru any part of the old testament the law including keeping Saturday sabbath.
God's people most certainly have a rest. It is a rest you do not understand BBJ. If you did, you would not make such a song and dance against the seventh day Sabbath.

Doesn't the scripture say, 'let every man be persuaded in his own mind'? It appears you are not willing to let others have this freedom. Your ongoing argument against a persons choice on which day to worship/rest/remember, screams you do not have the rest you boast about having!

THINK ABOUT IT!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And of course this has nothing to do with some religions claiming Christians are required to keep Saturday sabbath in order to be saved and accepted by the Lord.

I'm afraid it has everything to do with the church-state power that thought to "change times and laws."

Followers of Christ don't keep the Sabbath to be saved—they keep it because He says:

"If you love me, keep my commandments."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritajanice

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It definitely does not lead anyone to observe Saturday sabbath! View attachment 39387

It certainly has tended to contribute to that effect on myself and 20+ million (at present) others.

The first beast is Babylon, corresponding to the head of gold on the man-like image in Daniel 2.

The second beast is Medo-Persia, with one side weighing heavy (Persia) and more powerful, and the three ribs in its mouth representing the remains of the three principal powers it devoured—Lydia, Babylon, and Egypt, corresponding to the chest of silver in Daniel 2.

The third beast is Alexander's Greece, with the imagery of four divisions of his kingdom upon his death ruled by Generals Ptolemy, Lysimachus, Cassander, and Seleucus, corresponding to the bronze belly and thighs in Daniel 2. Some hold a slightly different view of the specifics of the Diadochi quad configuration.

The fourth beast is Imperial Rome with the horns representing the 10 divisions of the eventually imploded kingdom, 3 of which are rooted up by Papal Rome, the little horn:

"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time." (Daniel 7:8)

The little horn corresponds, in part, to the feet and toes of clay and iron in Daniel 2.

For more info, see the first video: "The God Who Hears And Knows" of the "A God Worth Knowing" series below.

—Or—

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I simply post what God's Word says... you can argue with the Lord as you explain to Him you reject the New Covenant and you have decided to continue under the old covenant not knowing Jesus fulfilled it all and took it away so He could establish the new which is based on better promises that you have no use for..

I've yet to see a description of the New Covenant from you at all—just a lot of sophistry and Sabbath hating.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How can we “rest in the Lord” (Psalm 37:7)?​

Rest in the Lord is a frequently used expression in the Bible. When the psalmist says, “Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him” (Psalm 37:7, NKJV), he’s not talking about physical rest that involves taking a break from activity, relaxing, napping, or stopping to gather strength to continue or complete some physical undertaking. Rest in the Lord refers to a spiritual rest from confusion, worry, stress, useless human effort, and a break from all internal, external, mortal, and spiritual enemies.

The Hebrew word translated as “rest” means “to be at peace,” “to be still,” “to be quiet or calm.” In place of “rest in the Lord,” some Bible translations say, “Be still before the Lord” (ESV and NIV), “Be silent before the Lord” (CSB), “Surrender yourself to the Lord” (GW), and “Be still in the presence of the Lord” (NLT). These versions convey the essential idea that to rest and be at peace, one must dwell in the presence of the Lord, surrendered to His lordship.

The word literally means to "cease" and the writer of the Psalms knew the difference between the commandment to rest weekly and the concept of will surrendering and being at peace and calm in the LORD.

So did/does Christ.

I don't really mean to be argumentative but this thread was started for the sole purpose of undermining a literal interpretation of the 4th commandment. If you don't share that intention, then, my sincere apologies to you, Sis. :tiphat:

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The word literally means to "cease" and the writer of the Psalms knew the difference between the commandment to rest weekly and the concept of will surrendering and being at peace and calm in the LORD.

So did/does Christ.

I don't really mean to be argumentative but this thread was started for the sole purpose of undermining a literal interpretation of the 4th commandment. If you don't share that intention, then, my sincere apologies to you, Sis. :tiphat:

Amen!!..thank you.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't know what's worse here: The eisegesis:

It’s easy to see WHY Jesus said “Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able” (Luke 13:24). WHY shall they not be able to enter in? Because of unbelief due their heart being hardened related to doing their own work rather then entering in to the REST that can only be found abiding IN Christ.

Or the absolute double-dealing:

The seventh day of the week was blessed and sanctified by God as a time of rest. The Israelites were commanded to keep the sabbath holy. However, no command for Christians to keep the Saturday sabbath is found in the New Testament and there is a simple reason why: God has provided something far better for His people under the New Covenant which is based on better promises than the old covenant.

The contrast between the old and the new covenants is summarized can be seen Hebrews 4:3-11 where we see the importance of not hardening our hearts but instead yielding and submitting our lives to the Lord and entering in to HIS Rest with Him:

Since Jesus was raised from the dead on the first day of the week, we see in the New Testament scriptures how the Apostles were led by the Lord to hold meetings on Sunday, the first days of the week. They did not call this “sabbath” since Jesus Christ IS our sabbath. They were simply led by the Lord to worship on Sunday.

We see in Acts chapter 2 that the first church service was on Sunday (the day of Pentecost they were all with one accord in one place and received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost). And, the first public evangelism meeting was also held on Sunday out in the street after the Holy Ghost was poured out in the upper room (Acts 2:14-36)

Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him

Under the New Testament with Jesus Christ as our High Priest we are to die to self (Galatians 2:20) and live IN Christ, thru Christ submitting our entire lives everyday of the week to the Lord because HE is our Rest.

The word sabbath only occurs two times in the New Testament epistles. For the believer today, a sabbath rest is described in Hebrews 4:9 as a moment-by-moment rest by believers in the Lord by faith. This reference contains no commandment concerning which day the church should meet for worship.

You can't have it both ways. There can't be a spiritual Sabbath in wholesale lieu of a weekly Sabbath and then a sneaking in of a weekly Resurrection "sabbath" through the back door.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't have it both ways. There can't be a spiritual Sabbath in wholesale lieu of a weekly Sabbath and then a sneaking in of a weekly Resurrection "sabbath" through the back door.

Those not accepting Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12 obviously wouldn't understand.

What you don't get is the rest for man is now found by abiding IN Christ, not on Saturday.

You'll never be able to explain why Saturday sabbath is not taught in the New Testament because it's imply not there. If it was, then the Apostles would have been led b y the Lord to include Saturday sabbath at the Counsel of Jerusalem but the Lord did not lead them to do so.

The sabbatarians would have to conclude the Apostles must not have been led by the Holy Spirit at the Counsel of Jerusalem and God's written Word is ion error.

The religious leaders you have decided to follow are the ones engaging in eisegesis by reading in to the scripture something it does not teach which is primarily done by their failure to recognize and honor Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12

So no matter how much you blah blah about this, you cannot change the New Testament to teach that Christians are required to teach Saturday sabbath in order to receive salvation.

Obviously you have made a permanent decision to align yourself with the religious leaders you have chosen to follow and you will continually be upset at all those who disagree with you and your religious leaders. I wouldn't expect you to change so... carry on!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those not accepting Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12 obviously wouldn't understand.

I'm pretty sure that two verses don't make a doctrine—especially one that nullifies a divine command. And not agreeing with your interpretation that "priesthood law" and the Ten Commandments are the same thing does not constitute non-acceptance of Scripture. How did you get so confused?

What you don't get is the rest for man is now found by abiding IN Christ, not on Saturday.

You can say that again. I don't get it because it's not what the Bible teaches. And you're stumbling all over yourself trying to prove that it does. Rest for man has always been found by abiding in Christ. How do you think Abraham could've been saved?

Not everyone in the Old Testament understood the symbols pointing forward to Christ, but:

The old covenant never saved anyone, the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world, and Jesus Christ is the same today, yesterday, and forever.

The New Covenant is Everlasting, backward and forward. The just have always lived by faith, and they always will. God's creation has always had to look to His love to live and, in eternity, the scars in Christ's body will ensure that rebellion shall not rise the second time.

God is love.

You'll never be able to explain why Saturday sabbath is not taught in the New Testament because it's imply not there. If it was, then the Apostles would have been led b y the Lord to include Saturday sabbath at the Counsel of Jerusalem but the Lord did not lead them to do so.

The sabbatarians would have to conclude the Apostles must not have been led by the Holy Spirit at the Counsel of Jerusalem and God's written Word is ion error.

Here you're just parroting the same argument from silence that's already been addressed.

So no matter how much you blah blah about this, you cannot change the New Testament to teach that Christians are required to teach Saturday sabbath in order to receive salvation.

This is more straw man nonsense that you just keep repeating over and over. I've never said that the New Testament teaches "that Christians are required to teach Saturday sabbath in order to receive salvation."

The religious leaders you have decided to follow are the ones engaging in eisegesis by reading in to the scripture something it does not teach which is primarily done by their failure to recognize and honor Hebrews 10:9 and Hebrews 7:12

Obviously you have made a permanent decision to align yourself with the religious leaders you have chosen to follow and you will continually be upset at all those who disagree with you and your religious leaders. I wouldn't expect you to change so... carry on!

I'm not interested in what religious leaders teach unless it's taught in the Bible. And I don't follow any. The only religious leaders I've presented as forming doctrine are the ones who wrote the Bible.

Are you bearing false witness intentionally?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sunday is conspicuously absent from this post.

Human beings and animals have to get an inordinate amount of rest every 7 days. The scientific jury is in on that. Both the Russians and the French tried to improve on that and they were unqualified disasters.

Pretending that Sunday is a period of weekly rest and worship that can't be "called 'sabbath' since Jesus Christ IS our sabbath" is just a very low-quality piece of skullduggery.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday is conspicuously absent from this post.

Here, let me help you out with that

(if they were sabbatarians wouldn't they be doing this on Saturday?)

Colossians 2:16,17
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Some folks would rather live in the shadow of things to come... even after what was to come got here! clueless.gif

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here, let me help you out with that

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Some folks would rather live in the shadow of things to come... even after what was to come got here! View attachment 39414
Gathering on a particular day and later giving it a significance unsubstantiated is none other than an imagination justifying a rebellious mindset dressed as a holy invocation.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Human beings and animals have to get an inordinate amount of rest every 7 days

No argument there... under the New Testament there is NO instructions or command from the Lord that says one must rest or worship the Lord on Saturday.. or Sunday for that matter.

As posted above we do see see the Apostles gathering and worshiping the Lord on Sunday... but who knows, they may have went out and worked on Sunday afternoon and took their day of rest on Thursday!

What if someone has to work 7 days a week in order to make ends meet, you guys think they go to hell because this is what they have to do in order to provide for their family?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is the height of scholarly absurdity to insist that Acts 2 is describing a weekly worship service (which is why virtually no serious non-Sabbatarian Bible scholar does so anymore).

Especially since you can't seem to decide whether you want "a sabbath" to exist or not, or even what "a sabbath" is.

No, because a meal doesn't constitute a weekly worship service or "a sabbath" that you're not sure whether you want to exist or not. People need to eat occasionally.

No, because an offering—especially a one-off (since the context is clear to the serious student)—doesn't constitute a weekly worship service or "a sabbath" that you're not sure whether you want to exist or not.

The Sabbath of the 4th commandment was never a shadow of things to come. It is a memorial to creation and the Exodus—which, itself, apart from the Sabbath, is a prefiguring symbol of redemption.

The distinction between the weekly Sabbaths of the LORD and the feast sabbaths is made clear in Leviticus 23:37-38.

Some folks would rather live in the shadow of things to come... even after what was to come got here!
clueless.gif

"Some folks would rather" is how you start a vacuous, ad hominem remark, which I can only assume is filler material since your Scripture evidence for your position is hermeneutically untenable. But I wouldn't consider myself a victim, per se, since "sticks and stones..."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No argument there... under the New Testament there is NO instructions or command from the Lord that says one must rest or worship the Lord on Saturday.. or Sunday for that matter.

A half-truth and half-argument from silence that is far too flimsy to nullify a divine, etched-in-stone command recorded in Scripture.

The Ten Commandments are the only part of Scripture that was physically written by God Himself.

As posted above we do see see the Apostles gathering and worshiping the Lord on Sunday... but who knows, they may have went out and worked on Sunday afternoon and took their day of rest on Thursday!

No, they kept the Sabbath according to the commandment, just like the mourners in Luke 23:56.

People can keep any schedule they want, but scientific studies show that vital indicators show a reduction of stress beginning in the afternoon-to-evening hours of Friday, even when they have conflicting schedules, indicating a definite circaseptan rhythm. There's a reason that bussiness-as-usual has come largely to a stop on Friday afternoons, traditionally.

Similarly, folks can stay up until 3 AM and sleep until 11 if they choose, but the nightly pineal secretion of melatonin in the brain dictates that the ideal, restorative sleep cycle only occurs between roughly 9 PM and 5 AM, depending on seasonal and geographical circumstances.

God's creation operates on laws, scientific and moral.

What if someone has to work 7 days a week in order to make ends meet, you guys think they go to hell because this is what they have to do in order to provide for their family?

It is both unwise and unreasonable to establish a normative from a "What if?" anomaly.

The weird obsession with the 4th commandment being one the violation of which has a special connection with hellfire is yours—not mine.

However, rejecting any one of God's commandments is sin, the wages of which is death, and the 4th commandment just happens to be the one that the devil, with the help of so many Christians today, has so widely demonized. There is a reason for it, and it's a problem that will have to be discussed extensively as the end of time draws ever nearer.

Anyone who absolutely has to work to preserve life or facilitate Sabbath activities, is blameless just like the priests in the Temple, as per Christ's instruction in Matthew 12:5. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

Other workers will have to get Sabbaths off if they want to be obedient to God.

I turned down a great-paying job once for this very reason, while unemployed, and God provided me with a much better one just a week later, with the employer more than happy to honor my sense of conviction and duty to God.

All who wish to cherish doubts about God's Word will find ready hooks upon which to hang them.