REST for God's People!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
5-8 “Haven’t any of you read in the Law that every Sabbath day priests in the Temple can break the Sabbath and yet remain blameless? I tell you that there is something more important than the Temple here. If you had grasped the meaning of the scripture ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice’, you would not have been so quick to condemn the innocent! For the Son of Man is master even of the Sabbath.”

Here you quote Scripture Matthew 12 that ironically tends to refute the following objection to the Sabbath:

If Christians are required to keep the Sabbath, how are we to account for the open violation of the law by Jesus Christ, who is our example, unless by saying that the power that made the law can take it away (John 7 :22-23).

Over and over Christ claimed that the accusations of Sabbath desecration leveled against Himself and his disciples are completely groundless. Yet these utterly bogus charges are recycled endlessly by 4th commandment cancelers.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet Jesus healed on the sabbath which was considered to be work under the Law of Moses.

To keep your religion's theme going, you folks are going to have to agree with the Pharisees and claim that Jesus broke the law by doing work on the saddath which would be accusing Jesus of sinful behavior.

Like I said before, it's a free country so you enjoy the teachings of the religious leaders you have decided to follow and understand that others have the right to believe what God's Word teachers rather than the teachings of your religious leaders. thumbsup2.gif

Reactions: gpresdo

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet Jesus healed on the sabbath which was considered to be work under the Law of Moses.

It was considered unlawful work by the impotent authority of religious fanatics who believed that oral tradition superseded the Word of God.

Please demonstrate from "the law of Moses" where healing was specified as unlawful work when done on the Sabbath.

To keep your religion's theme going, you folks are going to have to agree with the Pharisees and claim that Jesus broke the law by doing work on the saddath which would be accusing Jesus of sinful behavior.

Tinged with a little more vacuous ad hominem ascribing motive, this might be the goofiest theory you've advanced so far.

Christ—the LORD of the Sabbath—declared Himself guiltless of breaking the 4th commandment.

Like I said before, it's a free country so you enjoy the teachings of the religious leaders you have decided to follow and understand that others have the right to believe what God's Word teachers rather than the teachings of your religious leaders.
thumbsup2.gif

You are undoubtedly preaching to the choir. Religious liberty is a pillar of true Christianity.

If you ever happen to have religious liberty difficulty, I invite you to contact the Religious Liberty Dept. at the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists in Silver Springs, MD where you will receive some of the finest legal representation available (irrespective of the faith nature of the case) courtesy of God's providence by the tithe dollars of Seventh-day Adventist Church members worldwide.

You may, of course, believe, teach, and practice all the false doctrine that God's will allows you, but not without challenge.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ—the LORD of the Sabbath—declared Himself guiltless of breaking the 4th commandment

That's due to the fact something better than the Law of Moses had arrived... God's Kingdom!
It's not a sin now to work on Saturday, or any other days of the week.

The Law of Moses was the shadow of things to come... once God's Word took upon flesh and Jesus arrived on the scene, there was no further need of the "shadow of things to come". You should come out of the shadow and experience the real deal!

Hebrews 10:1
For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Unfortunately for you, the Saturday sabbath cannot make anyone righteous as you suppose.

Our rest no longer comes from Saturday sabbath as it did under the Law of Moses. Under the new Covenant, our rest comes from abiding in Christ and Christ abiding in us which is far superior to trying to keep the Law of Moses which is where Saturday sabbath became a requirement.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pic3__GIF.gif

The Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15 we see how the Holy Spirit led the Apostles to conclude that gentile converts to Christianity were not obligated to keep most of the rules prescribed to the Jews by the Mosaic Law, such as Jewish dietary laws and the rules concerning circumcision of males. The Apostles were led by the Lord to retain the prohibitions on eating blood, meat containing blood, and meat of animals that were strangled, and on fornication and idolatry.

There was no leading by the Holy Spirit at The Council of Jerusalem to include Saturday sabbath as being a requirement for New Testament Christians to observe. Had this been the will of God that we keep Saturday sabbath under the New Covenant, the Lord would have led the Apostles to include this as a required... but, He did not do so.

Keeping Saturday sabbath is not a requirement for born again Christians and the claim that one must keep Saturday sabbath in order to be in right standing with God is not entering in to the REST that the Lord Jesus Christ has provided to His people under the New Covenant. Righteousness does not come thru any part of the old testament the law including keeping Saturday sabbath.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's surely becoming clearer and clearer to any who might be following along is that, instead of answering the refutations that have been given for the neo-Christian, neo-New Covenant claims you're making, you're simply posing a cat-and-mouse game of re-packaging those claims and re-posting them in different corners of the forum.

And if that's the way you want to operate, you're free, of course, to do so, but you'll have to bear being called out for it.

Doesn't Romans 14 say that some Christians do not observe a day, and they do so as unto the Lord, and some Christians observe the day, and they do so as unto the Lord--and doesn't Paul, in Galatians, actually express anxiety over the Galatians being "under Law", and "observing days"?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
doesn't Paul, in Galatians, actually express anxiety over the Galatians being "under Law", and "observing days"?

Galatians 4:9-11
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

I'll add Galatians 4:9-11 to my notes.

Sounds like Paul is saying observing "days, and months, and times, and years" is being in bondage as in being under the Law of Moses that Christians have been set free from since we are now IN Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Sounds like Paul is saying "days, and months, and times, and years" is being in bondage as in being under the Law of Moses that Christians have been set free from since we are now IN Christ.
Yeah, 4:21-31 says those who are under the Law are "in bondage", then, in Galatians 5:1, he says, "do not submit yourselves to a yoke of bondage".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Sounds like Paul is saying "days, and months, and times, and years" is being in bondage as in being under the Law of Moses that Christians have been set free from since we are now IN Christ.
You speak as if the law is a prison from which one needs to be set free from. If this is the case why was this 'prison' created...by Moses, by God? ...for oppression? .....Is God one who develops oppression?

Your solution (doing away with the Law) is presupposed on an understanding that the law is oppressive where in fact it is SIN which is oppressive.
Sleight of hand in this matter has shifted the blame from Sin to the Law (we are talking about the Ten Commandments)

Complex and convoluted theories have been subsequently developed from faulty assumptions, the process of which gives God the blame as he is the one who gave the Ten Commandments. This view plays right into the hand of Satan whose objective is to misrepresent and malign God.

Reactions: amadeus

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You speak as if the law is a prison from which one needs to be set free from. If this is the case why was this 'prison' created...by Moses, by God? ...for oppression? .....Is God one who develops oppression?

Your questions are faulty and do not require a response.

Your solution (doing away with the Law)

The Lord is the One Who took away the old covenant so He could establish the New Covenant based on better promises with Jesus Christ as the High Priest.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your questions are faulty and do not require a response.

The Lord is the One Who took away the old covenant so He could establish the New Covenant based on better promises with Jesus Christ as the High Priest.
Ahhhh, a convenient out!.....the ideal answer for remaining in deliberate/ intentional denial, however, I would ask, how are my questions faulty?

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:1-11
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

For we which have believed do enter into rest..

It's right there for anyone who is interested in truth. Amen to this OP.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, I'll take the rest the Lord had made available to those walking in faith who abide IN Christ verses what they had under the old covenant everyday, and not just on Saturdays! thumbsup2.gif

Reactions: GracePeace

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you specifically tell what is the "REST" that the Lord made available to those walking in faith who abide in Christ? Thank you.
"Come to Me... you will find rest..."--Colossians 2 says Sabbath was a shadow, Christ is the substance to which it pointed?

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Come to Me... you will find rest..."--Colossians 2 says Sabbath was a shadow, Christ is the substance to which it pointed?
Define specifically what the term "rest in Jesus" mean? Or, rest from what?

Last edited:

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Define specifically what the term "rest in Jesus" mean?
It doesn't mean "you'll observe the Sabbath"--they were already observing that "shadow", so, if that's all the "shadow" referred to, it has no fulfillment, and Christ would not be fulfilling it.

Last edited: