Retrobyter, can you assist me?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guysmith

Nov 12, 2007
Miami, FL
I am assuming that your Hebrew is impeccable.

In Daniel 12:11“From the time that the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days.

Daniel 9:27 states: He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’[b] he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

The way this reads in English is that in the middle of the seven:
1. The sacrifices are eliminated and
2. The AC is set up in the temple.

If the sacrifices are eliminated and the AC are set up in the middle of the seven, what is the other reference point in which to determine the 1290 days?

In Yehoshua,
Guy Smith

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ENOCH2010 said:
This is gunna be good folks
colbert-3d-popcorn.gif

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, guysmith.

guysmith said:
I am assuming that your Hebrew is impeccable.

In Daniel 12:11“From the time that the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days.

Daniel 9:27 states: He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’[b] he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.

The way this reads in English is that in the middle of the seven:
1. The sacrifices are eliminated and
2. The AC is set up in the temple.

If the sacrifices are eliminated and the AC are set up in the middle of the seven, what is the other reference point in which to determine the 1290 days?

In Yehoshua,
Guy Smith
Well, that is a bad assumption, but thanks. Actually, I am a Hebrew scholar - a student of Hebrew - and I make no claims of "having arrived."

I was probably the worst person to ask this question, because I do not believe that Daniel 9:27 has anything to do with the AC. To the contrary, I believe that each occurrence of "he" in that verse refers back to the Messiah in verse 26. It was HE who put an end to the sacrifices' efficacy! By being the Ultimate Sacrifice for sin, haKeves Elohiym - the Lamb of God, He ended the need for animal sacrifices to cover sin. Furthermore, HE was the One who left ISRA'EL desolate until the desolation has run its course. Matthew 23:37-39 made that clear for me. The "house" in verse 38 is NOT the "Temple," as some claim; it is the "HOUSEHOLD" of Isra'el, particularly that of the Jews. They themselves were left desolate, and Yeshua` said that they would remain that way until such time as they could welcome Him back as the Messiah of God, God's Representative, God's CHOICE for King, the King Apparent! That's what "Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the LORD" means. It's a quotation from Psalm 118:26. The Hebrew there is "Baruwkh haba' b'shem YHWH," transliterated. Literally, this translates to "Welcome, the-Comer in-name of-YHWH."

Also, the NIV's poor choice of words in translating Dani'el 9:27 has encouraged this theological error. The wording of verse 27 is cryptic to the Westerner's ear.

Here's the Hebrew transliterated:

Dani'el 9:24-27
24 Shaavu`iym shiv`iym nechtakh `al-`amkhaa
v’`al-`iyr qaadshekha l’kalei’ hapesha` uwlhaateem chaTaa’owt
uwlkhapeer `aavon uwlhaaviy’ tsedeq `olaamiym
v’lachtom chaazown v’naaviy’ v’limshoach qodesh qaadaashiym:
25 V’teeda` v’taskeel min-motsaa’ daavaar l’haashiyv v’livnowt Y’ruwshaalaim `ad-Maashiyach naagiyd shaavu`iym shiv`aah v’shaavu`iym shishiym uwshnayim taashuwv v’nivnataah rchowv v’chaaruwts uwvtsowq haa`itiym:
26 V’’achareey hashaavu`iym shishiym uwshnayim yikaareet Maashiyach v’’eeyn low v’haa`iyr v’haqodesh yashchiyt `am naagiyd habaa’ v’qitsow vasheTef v’`ad qeets milchaamaah nech’retset shomeemowt:
27 V’higbiyr b’riyt laarabiym shaavuwa` ‘echaad vach’tsiy hashaavuwa` yashbiyt
zevach uwminchah v’`al k’naf shiquwtsiym m’shomeem v’`ad-kaalaah v’nech’raatsaah titakh `al-shomeem:
Hebrew transliterated from Masoretic Text as found in PC Study Bible

24 Shaavu`iym = 24 Sevens
shiv`iym = seventy
nechtakh = are-decided
`al- = upon
`amkhaa = your-(singular)-people
v’`al- = and-upon
`iyr = city
qaadshekha = your-(singular)-holy
l’kalei’ = to-finish
hapesha` = the-transgression
uwlhaateem = and-to-make-an-end
chaTaa’owt = [of]-sins
uwlkhapeer = and-to-make-reconciliation-for
`aavon = iniquity
uwlhaaviy’ = and-to-usher-in
tsedeq = righteousness
`olaamiym = of-ages
v’lachtom = and-to-seal-up
chaazown = vision
v’naaviy’ = and-prophecy
v’limshoach = and-to-anoint
qodesh = holy
qaadaashiym: = of-holies:
25 V’teeda` = 25 And-know
v’taskeel = and-understand
min-= from
motsaa’ = going-forth
daavaar = [of]-word
l’haashiyv = to-restore
v’livnowt = and-to-build
Y’ruwshaalaim = Jerusalem
`ad-= unto
Maashiyach = Messiah; Anointed
naagiyd = Prince
shaavu`iym = sevens
shiv`aah = seven
v’shaavu`iym = and-sevens
shishiym = sixty
uwshnayim = and-two
taashuwv = again
v’nivnataah = and-shall-be-built
rchowv = avenue
v’chaaruwts = and-trench
uwvtsowq = and-in-distress
haa`itiym: = the-times:
26 V’’achareey = 26 And-after
hashaavu`iym = the-sevens
shishiym = sixty
uwshnayim = and-two
yikaareet = shall-be-cut-off
Maashiyach = Messiah; Anointed
v’’eeyn = and-for-himself
low = not
v’haa`iyr = and-the-city
v’haqodesh = and-the-holy
yashchiyt = shall-destroy
`am = people
naagiyd = [of]-prince
habaa’ = the-comer
v’qitsow = and-end-of-it
basheTef = in-a-flood
v’`ad = and-until
qeets = end
milchaamaah = [of]-a-war
nech’retset = are-decided
shomeemowt: = desolations:
27 V’higbiyr = 27 And-he-shall-strengthen
b’riyt = a-covenant
laarabiym = to-many
shaavuwa` = seven
‘echaad = one
vach’tsiy = and-in-middle
hashaavuwa` = [of]-the-seven
yashbiyt = he-shall-cause-to-end
zevach = sacrifice
uwminchah = and-offering
v’`al = and-for
k’naf = a-spreading-out-[like-a-wing]
shiquwtsiym = [of]-abominations
m’shomeem = he-shall-make-desolate
v’`ad- = and-until
kaalaah = completion
v’nech’raatsaah = and-that-decision
titakh = shall-be-poured
`al- = upon
shomeem: = desolate:

The following is a direct word-for-word translation:

24 Sevens seventy are-decided upon your-(singular)-people and-upon city your-(singular)-holy…
to-finish the-transgression
and-to-make-an-end [of]-sins
and-to-make-reconciliation-for iniquity
and-to-usher-in righteousness of-ages
and-to-seal-up vision and-prophecy
and-to-anoint holy of-holies:
25 And-know and-understand from going-forth [of]-word to-restore and-to-build Jerusalem unto Messiah Prince sevens seven and-sevens sixty and-two again and-shall-be-built avenue and-trench and-in-distress the-times:
26 And-after the-sevens sixty and-two shall-be-cut-off Messiah and-for-himself not and-the-city and-the-holy shall-destroy people [of]-prince the-comer and-end-of-it in-a-flood and-until end [of]-a-war are-decided desolations:
27 And-he-shall-strengthen a-covenant to-many seven one and-in-middle [of]-the-seven he-shall-cause-to-end sacrifice and-offering and-for a-spreading-out-like-a-wing [of]-abominations he-shall-make-desolate and-until completion and-that-decision shall-be-poured up desolate:

Furthermore, I don't believe in a seven-year tribulation period. I believe that the "tribulation" (Greek: "thlipsis") to which Yeshua` referred in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 started in the first century 40 years after our Lord's ascension and has continued ever since! It won't end until our Lord returns and the signs in the sun, moon, and stars occur. Frankly, the only thing linking Yeshua`s "tribulation" and Dani'el's 70th Seven is theology, particularly a few theories of eschatology. There are NO biblical reasons why the two should be equated. It just sounded good to somebody in the past, and IT STUCK as more and more people jumped on the band wagon!

Reactions: ENOCH2010

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
Yes, I agree. I think that the incorrect translation of Dan 9:26-27 has caused a great deal of confusion. How many Christians haven't been looking for a peace treaty as one of the "signs" of the end times, despite the fact that when Jesus specifically listed the signs to look for there was no mention of any treaty whatsoever.