Reward Yourself - Irrational Hobbies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My hypothesis is rewarding yourself and hobbies are outlets for the irrational side of us.

I like to use fountain pens and recently added to my collection after getting through a particularly tough time.

Our culture generally embraces this idea of rewarding yourself for one reason or another by one way or another. It normally involves spending disposable income, such as going out to dinner or buying something to commemorate an event. Perhaps it is a little thing, the object of the reward is imbued with symbolizing the accomplishment. Sometimes we lower the accomplishment to just getting through the work week, getting through the day, etc as if existence or survival is at stake. Such is the emotional state we are in. Such is the irrational state we are in.

This explains why restaurants tend to be busiest on the weekend, which is paradoxical since people actually have more time to cook for themselves at that time. Can you recall a single instance where our lord rewarded himself in any way?

Not seeing this in the Bible causes me to recognize it is a cultural thing and perhaps tied to ours being an opulent country. And that leads me to hobbies. Sure, it is a way to spend ones “free time.” Therefore, taking up a hobby destroys “free time” and often, our capacity to sabbath.

Many people have hobbies that consume enormous time and money. A friend built a 3 car, 2 story garage – on top of his existing 3 car garage – to house his hobby of motorcycles, snowmobiles, model planes, etc.

Another friend was into collecting wine. I have a respectable 7-bottle container. He has a wine cellar of 400 bottles of wine. Again, many of these are collectable and not for drinking with dinner. (I understand the bottle of wine that Napoleon had upon his death sold for over $400K.)

The money I spend on fountain pens pales by comparison. Yet, I realize that I cannot rationalize the time and money I spend on this hobby. It seems like an irrational compulsion to expand the scope of the hobby. What is your experience in this area?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I work on physics. It requires equation math problems that I have to solve. I also enjoy computer programming. Lots to do there. But lately I've got a little bored so I spent more time on the forum. But people don't seem to like the way I debate so I'm probably going to stay more out of the debate areas.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My hypothesis is rewarding yourself and hobbies are outlets for the irrational side of us.

I like to use fountain pens and recently added to my collection after getting through a particularly tough time.

Our culture generally embraces this idea of rewarding yourself for one reason or another by one way or another. It normally involves spending disposable income, such as going out to dinner or buying something to commemorate an event. Perhaps it is a little thing, the object of the reward is imbued with symbolizing the accomplishment. Sometimes we lower the accomplishment to just getting through the work week, getting through the day, etc as if existence or survival is at stake. Such is the emotional state we are in. Such is the irrational state we are in.

This explains why restaurants tend to be busiest on the weekend, which is paradoxical since people actually have more time to cook for themselves at that time. Can you recall a single instance where our lord rewarded himself in any way?

Not seeing this in the Bible causes me to recognize it is a cultural thing and perhaps tied to ours being an opulent country. And that leads me to hobbies. Sure, it is a way to spend ones “free time.” Therefore, taking up a hobby destroys “free time” and often, our capacity to sabbath.

Many people have hobbies that consume enormous time and money. A friend built a 3 car, 2 story garage – on top of his existing 3 car garage – to house his hobby of motorcycles, snowmobiles, model planes, etc.

Another friend was into collecting wine. I have a respectable 7-bottle container. He has a wine cellar of 400 bottles of wine. Again, many of these are collectable and not for drinking with dinner. (I understand the bottle of wine that Napoleon had upon his death sold for over $400K.)

The money I spend on fountain pens pales by comparison. Yet, I realize that I cannot rationalize the time and money I spend on this hobby. It seems like an irrational compulsion to expand the scope of the hobby. What is your experience in this area?

Even God took a day off after finishing His 'to-do' list.

In scripture, we see Jesus having no job, or otherwise retiring at age 30 to go into 'full time ministry.' He loved to relax, go to parties, eat and drink to the extent that the religious folks called him a glutton and a drunkard. When he was stressed out-- he'd go off alone for some of that "free time" you mentioned.

I enjoy doing projects-- fix it, flip its, additions, complete new home construction.... I like to travel, I buy guns, cars, real estate and Viking memorabilia, among other things. I even have a few nice pens.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. Rest is different from pursuing a pastime isn’t?

Not really. It's where the concept of recreation comes from. It's to cease working, rest, restore, recover-- to refresh oneself with some amusement. To relax, God made a garden simply for His own pleasure.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow! How old is your memorabilia? When did the Viking period end?

I have nothing old or original.... all of that would be about 1000 years old. I have authentic replicas- My three son's are very proud of their heritage and the warrior mindset. I started buying them Viking axes and such when they were teens. Since then, they've been buying me stuff! They embraced the beards. With one of them I roast coffee. He built his own brand-- as a school project.
Norse American Coffee
NorseAmerican Coffee Company

Viking gear.JPG

Here's an axe they had made for me-- one of his Navy buddies makes them halffaceblades.com

Viking Axe.jpg

Reactions: Wrangler

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, you asked what my experience is in this area. Also you mentioned something about the Lord rewarding himself in any way. And since I like you I'm going to give you my take on this. You better sit down. The Lord had a hobby, a passion, something he loved to strive for. For him it was like the hobby of having the best painted up cars. Or playing the best ever game of golf. Yeah the Lord had something he worked at over and over until he mastered it and then he took delight in doing it well. For him it was knowing the Scriptures inside and out so as to stay in fellowship with his God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this does need to eventually be typed but I realize that I need to write with a fountain pen to answer why I like to write with a fountain pen.

There is the pen itself, (in this case, Edison Collier Persimmon Swirl)

1701466114545.png

the writing experience and the palette of colors. (This is Pelikan’s Brilliant Brown, which was too reddish orange for me but is growing on me)

1701466124601.png

Because fountain pen ink is water based, it is much more fluid than the oil-based ink in ballpoint pens. Fountain pens work because of capillary action rather than rolling a ball. The nib has a specific side to write with, making the writing experience totally different, totally superior.

A coworker once observed that with laptops, writing by hand is becoming increasingly obsolete. My response was to say “this makes me into fountain pens all the more.” It’s not just far more artistic and personal. In our world of impersonal, SSN, and photo ID please or username and password, fountain pen writing opens a world of personal freedom and tactile sensuous delight.

At the mundane level, fountain pen writing takes less pressure than either ballpoint writing or typing. But it is not just less pressure. It’s a return to the sense of delightful touch, a direct connection between brain, hand movement and presentation, creation of a record of that fact, which is both personal, intimate and individualistic.

The pen is classy and classic, an actual work of art. Most nibs have to be individually fine-tuned. Compared to jewelry or artwork, I match the pen to my outfit. Like art, I steer at the beauty of the design and material interplay.

Most of my pens are stunningly gorgeous, which is not a word I use often. There is one exception. The silver Pilot Metro is shaped like a Zeppelin. By contrast, it is stunning in it’s elegant simplicity.

1701466197842.png

Finally, there is the color palette. Once you get away from boring cartridges to the rainbow of options of bottled ink, it’s yet another whole world. Getting beyond the ubiquitously boring business/legal black or blue, I ink my pens with green, sunset yellow, purple, rose, turquoise, teal (marine), brown, brilliant brown, golden brown along with light blue.

My wife is getting back into fountain pens and is exploring various shades of lavender.
1701466218748.png

The heart of the pen is the nib. Sizes of balls in ball points don’t vary nearly as much. It is yet another world of exploration where one must embrace POU (Philosophy of Use). There are too many variables to delve into here but just to list a few considerations: do you want to use the pen as “a writer?” a strict replacement for a ball point? Or is your intended use to edit, highlight or emphasize either handwritten or typed documents? Is the paper you intend to use cheap copy paper or specially made for much more fluid ink of fountain pens?

I hope this explains the irrational passion I have for my hobby, a wonderfully creative and expressive outlet.

Stitch

Mar 9, 2024
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I love reading poetry.

I also study Middle English as a layman.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What poems do you like? I like

• the road less traveled by Frost
  • Do not go gentle into that good night by Dylon​

• If by Rudyard Kipling
  • And many by Emily Dickinson

Reactions: Stitch

Stitch

Mar 9, 2024
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What poems do you like? I like

• the road less traveled by Frost
  • Do not go gentle into that good night by Dylon​

• If by Rudyard Kipling
  • And many by Emily Dickinson
I like to read the Romantic Poets. Shelley is my favourite.

By him I like 'One word is too often profaned...' and 'Ozymandias' as well as 'The Sensitive Plant'.

I like Alice du Clos and Rime of The Ancient Mariner by Coleridge.

I also like Chaucer.

Reactions: Wrangler and Mr E

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's important to have things you do for the sake of just pure enjoyment. God wants us to change we are for Him but not for lesser reasons like social conformity or selfish ambition.

I think its part of having childlike faith to stop being so anxious about getting ahead in life, trusting God for our needs, and enjoying nature , beauty, and irrational hobbies.

Reactions: BarneyFife

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would scarcely be fair to call my golf a hobby. I have played for more than 60 years, owned at least 1000 sets of clubs (including a period of collecting) and spent a large percentage of my disposal income on the game. I hit balls virtually every day and still obsess over my swing speed at age 74. The only other comparable activity was long-distance runnng, which similarly consumed me for about 20 years. Three-hour training runs were no problem.

Interestingly, both activities for me have been completely non-competitive - simply exercises in self-mastery. Running guru Jeff Galloway described the three phases of running as Beginner, Competitor, Master. I went almost immediately to Master, being someone who runs simply for the activity itself and would do so even if he knew he had only three days to live.

Both activities are spiritual disciplines. They define who I am. I recognized this potential in each of them almost immediately. I ALWAYS ran alone and will play golf alone whenever I am able. They are part and parcel of my spiritual path. They are definitely much more than hobbies.

The closest thing to what the OP is talking about was, for me, collecting British coinage from roughly 1500-1900 as well as ancient Roman coinage. There was the aspect of holding something so old and wondering who else had held it and what it had bought. But I found that collecting became a mania - always needing something new and more, more, more. I finally sat back and said "Wait I minute - I enjoyed this much more when I only owned 5 coins that I actually looked at." I had the same experience with persimmon golf clubs - 5 became 50, then Completely Ridiculous. So I no longer have any collecting hobbies at all.