Rightly dividing the word... What does that mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:15
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."​

I will wait to comment, but it would be good to hear what people say and think...so:

What say you? What does that even mean?

Reactions: marks

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means don't improperly isolate a portion of scripture from the context of the whole. When you cite a particular verse or passage of scripture you are dividing it out from the whole. We are to do this properly, or rightly, not un-rightly. Cults are based on taking a single slice of scripture and building a doctrinal construct from it that violates the context of the whole counsel of scripture that it came from.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."​

I will wait to comment, but it would be good to hear what people say and think...so:

"To make a straight cut", from a tent maker.

To correctly know what parts are addressed to whom and for what purpose, so that each piece, when assembled into a whole understanding, forms the correctly shaped tent at the end.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Rightly dividing" means interpreting Scripture accurately and correctly, comparing Scripture with Scripture.

Strong's Concordance
orthotomeó: to cut straight
Original Word: ὀρθοτομέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: orthotomeó
Phonetic Spelling: (or-thot-om-eh'-o)
Definition: to cut straight
Usage: I cut straight; met: I handle correctly, teach rightly.

Reactions: amadeus and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, great, all of this is good!

However, the point I was hoping to address is something that we seem to stumble on in our consideration of the scriptures. We know that they are Spirit and inspired by the Spirit, and life, literally. We also know that they are a two-edged sword cutting both ways.

But what gets overlooked and not often acknowledged is a statement in the second paragraph below, equally true in the need of rightly dividing the word (in the first paragraph). That second statement could easily be considered as not regarding the word of God at all, but rather simply as pertaining to some who do not rightly divide it--and it would appear that most do. However, that is only one part of the context. The main context is the word itself. And I would not even go there, not consider it any different than what most consider to be the case...except (continued below)...

2 Timothy 2:14-26 "Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. 22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.
"
...Except that does not address all scripture, but leaves a distant would-be contradiction unreconciled, which I would suggest is that "two edged sword" effect and confusion, clearly stated as pertaining to the scriptures, even in the synagogues:

Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death." Matthew 10:21

"Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.Genesis 11:7

"I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things." Isaiah 45:7

...Which is not to say that any of the scriptures are evil, or should be discarded. Heaven forbid. But rather that the Lord has included weakness like each day begins with the darkness of evening followed by the light of morning, or as flesh and wood in the building of His master house...that need to be rightly divided, separating what is of the flesh from that which is born of the Spirit. Which, yes, means that one scripture could presumably be pit against another against the warning to "avoid foolish and ignorant disputes." But also, that within the text are fleshly stumbling blocks, that are not exactly there to be "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" in the way we would naturally consider them. But indeed, must be cut straight, not dividing them out of God's overall purpose-- but dividing out what is like tares among the wheat, in the final revelation of all truth-- not by flesh and blood, but by the spirit of our Father in heaven.

So, then, just as the evening darkness comes each day, and then the morning [light], so also the word comes shrouded in the darkness of fleshly concerns and natural instincts, but is revealed by the Spirit. "And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit." 1 Corinthians 15:45

The point then being, that it is indeed foolish to have such disputes over the scriptures. Correction, yes, instruction, yes, but not disputes founded upon those things of wood and flesh. Thus, no attempt at corrections can be conjecture; and proclamations and instruction cannot be attempted without first rightly dividing the word-- which is true in heaven where flesh and wood cannot enter, and indeed are not profitable "to the ruin of the hearers."

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me 4 tries but I think I finally got a glimpse of what you are saying.

Joint vs marrow
Which also relates to:
4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
or you yourself will be just like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Reactions: amadeus and ScottA

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Scott, that is where version comparison comes in handy sir. The NWT translates it handling the word of the truth aright. AS: handling aright the word of truth. Darby: cutting in a straight line the word of truth. Douay: rightly handling the word of truth. Does that make it clear as mud? ;)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me 4 tries but I think I finally got a glimpse of what you are saying.

Joint vs marrow
Which also relates to:
4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
or you yourself will be just like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
or he will be wise in his own eyes.

So in the first case, walk away or you will become a fool too.
In the second case, regarding marrow, spirit, you have to answer or he could suffer true harm.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@stunnedbygrace
@Robert Gwin
@Enoch111
@marks
@Ferris Bueller

I should also add to or elaborate what I previously wrote:

Based on the full counsel of God in the scriptures, it should be noted that the evening of these appointed ages and these times of darkness has passed, and our course should be redirected from the main focus of revelations from God in the world by miracles and the written word, to the things of the morning of Christ, the Light of the world. Morning has broken.

Which is to say, we were told of the times passing from darkness to light, and the transition that was occurring so long ago from first the natural and then the spiritual (1 Corinthians 15:46), and even that we should "press on", "leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God." --But we have yet to do it.

So, my intension is to reopen the books, to rend my garments--to give a warning...that the time for debating translations and doctrines is long past, and most of Christendom is no longer even following Christ, who Himself has passed on.

And all this time-- we have kept Him waiting. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm…I don’t know what you can do but keep trying to show that mainstream modern Christianity has created a Babel with their doctrines and hope a person or two might hear you over the shouts of heretic.
I mean, freewill has created a pride that does the opposite of humbling a man but rather leads to judging unbelievers.
The doctrines that teach everyone is holy have taken away any fear of God.
The doctrines that teach all men are born immortal end in mercilessness.

I’m not without some hope, but once men accept it all they cannot hear.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It means don't divi it up according to your imagination.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a

awwww, I didn't know you found me that objectionable sbg.....and when I had hoped for kisses I get the bad bag o_O

Lol.
I wasn’t talking about you. But isn’t it what Christendom does? This is a gracious word, it goes in my pile. That is a bitter word, it goes in your pile. And they think that’s rightly dividing scripture. I liked your word though - divvy up.

Bbyrd amazed me earlier. He said something about…you begin to understand the parables when they suddenly turn on you.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is another verse in the Bible that gets abused a bit. First, we must look at the context. Paul is writing to Timothy on being a faithful servant, giving him instructions knowing that Timothy would carry on after Pauls's death. SO we must first understand this is instructions to Timothy from Paul. Second, what did Timothy have in his possession to "rightly divide"? He didn't have the Bible or a set of New Testament manuscripts as they had not been put together yet. All he had was the Old Testament and Pauls's letters. I think it's a stretch to say Paul was talking about anything but the Old Testament and Paul's oral teachings. IMHO the only thing available to divide was the message of pre cross and post cross, before Christ and after Christ, the law and faith by God's grace. Some try to insist that we should rightly divide the Gospels from the epistles. No so. I doubt Timothy ever had a full New Testament record in his lifetime. Some use this verse to place weight on Paul's epistles over all other New Testament Gospels and epistles of James, Peter, John, and Jude. I do not believe that nonsense.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word of God is a double edged sword, dividing between soul and spirit, joints and marrow.
To rightly divide, to be a good workman who brings some of the old and some of the new, you must understand the first verse.
It is the difference between…the commandments of God killing a man or giving him life.
It’s, you have heard it said…but I say to you.

Joints, more outer, marrow, deep inside the bones.

It’s Paul saying, or do you suppose God was just talking about oxen there?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol.
I wasn’t talking about you. But isn’t it what Christendom does? This is a gracious word, it goes in my pile. That is a bitter word, it goes in your pile. And they think that’s rightly dividing scripture. I liked your word though - divvy up.

Bbyrd amazed me earlier. He said something about…you begin to understand the parables when they suddenly turn on you.
whew! I'm glad. Yes, eisegesis has replaced exegesis.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My Bible (Revised Standard Version) says "rightly handling the word of truth." NIV says "correctly handles the word of truth." NRSV: "rightly explaining the word of truth." KJV: "rightly dividing the word of truth." I think it's about having a mature understanding of the Lord's will.