rotary clubs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
someone i met keeps inviting me to be involved in the rotary club of their town...and they are also promoting a politician they want.
my gut is telling me to stay away.
so....are rotary clubs cult?
thank you.

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, these are very well led civic groups.
All the best leaders I know from Rotary
launch and lead very effective nonprofit
and charitable projects for the community.

Some examples are
PACE Universal, nonprofit that builds schools
in poor countries, starting with India then Mexico, to help children and women get out
of slave labor trafficking.
Founder: Deepa Willingham, now Deepa Bisas, Rotary International

Ted Weisgal, another Rotary Club leader
Founded Leisure Learning, a program offering continuing education courses
organized in catalogues, where students and teachers both benefited.
Ted also has organized support for the nonprofit Pacifica Foundation and public
radio, helping public students to host their
own radio show for students by students.
He teaches Roberts Rules of Order so that
Younger community volunteers can gain
experience running meetings and learning the democratic process.

Malcolm Williams is another new friend I just met, also Rotary Club member and he goes to a local Cowboy church in Magnolia.
I met him while he was meeting with a restaurant owner to plan an event featuring a Corvette at a family night that Rotary is raffling off to raise money for scholarships.
Since the pandemic hit restaurants and small businesses very hard, Malcolm was going around town with his laptop and scheduling dates to host promotional gatherings. The local businesses bring in 1000s of people and dollars per event which promotes them, while guests can buy raffle tickets to win the car. So everyone has a good time, and benefits both a local business and the civic charity scholarship fund.

I have never found any Rotary members who boast about what they do.

They focus not only on ethical service, but seek sustainable solutions to invest in which meet their civic standards.

They opened their meetings with prayers (just like schools used to go before secular interests made this unpopular).

Their 4 point test is to maintain a standard ethic in public so there is no conflict with any person or group.