rrr help with understanding plz

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
okay, i cant find the scripture, i lost my strongs concordence...ug.....but, the scripture talks about "if you loose on earth it shall be loose in heaven" and vise versa

anyone following me? I have always wondered what this ment. please help me to understand this. and if you know the scripture, please post it. I know it is new testament, but thats it...sorry.

Alethos

Mar 8, 2011
Melbourne Australia
okay, i cant find the scripture, i lost my strongs concordence...ug.....but, the scripture talks about "if you loose on earth it shall be loose in heaven" and vise versa

anyone following me? I have always wondered what this ment. please help me to understand this. and if you know the scripture, please post it. I know it is new testament, but thats it...sorry.

Hi rrr

Great passage.

Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

Jesus Christ has the key to the grave (Rev 3:7) which means God has given Jesus the power to unlock the grave and to raise those who now sleep with Christ. (also see Key of David)

However Jesus gave Peter two (2) keys which unlocked salvation or the knowledge of how to obtain the Kingdom of God via the Name of Jesus Christ. The power of the "keys" was committed to all the apostles, not just to Peter: Mat 18:18; John 20:23; Rev 21:14. Christ speaks of all equally Mat 18:1; Luke 22:25-30; Mar 9:34.

I believe the "Power to bind" in the context of the two Keys is the power to preach the gospel by which men and women may be "bound to Christ". The opposite of course applies to "Loose" would mean not to preach! Depending on them having ears to hear…or not.

I also believe an element of judgment is endorsed due to the prominent role of the Apostles they were called to judge (as Ananias and Sapphira: Acts 5:1-10; 13:9-12) or to heal (as Aeneas: Acts 9:32-35; or Acts 5:12-16).

Do you know what the two keys are that Jesus provided Peter?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here is my definition... Taking the whole scripture in context...

But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. [sup]20[/sup]For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them

Matthew 18:16-17
Matthew 18:18-19

Whatsoever be bound... Talking about a disobedient brother in Christ. If we deal harshly with him so will heaven!

Whatsoever be loosed... Talking about we who are walking obedient in Christ Jesus... Prayed over on earth... Given to by heaven!

As far as the Strongs concordance try...

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatsoever be bound... Talking about a disobedient brother in Christ. If we deal harshly with him so will heaven!

A scripture that refers to binding something...

Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. - 1 Timothy 1:19-20

I would say that Hymenaeus and Alexander were bound both in earth and in heaven...

BaldJohn

Feb 28, 2011
Oregon
Thanks guys,, sometimes i feel stupid when it comes to some scripture. it's still not 100% clear, but what you said gave some direction.

thanks so much God bless you