Sabbath Issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will elaborate though.
As I said before I don't think this is the right thread to be discussing anything other than what the originator meant, if you want to start your own I will happily reply there.
You don't own Christianity and just because you have numbers on your side where you are doesn't mean you're right.
Discussing Creation Week is pertinent to this thread about the Sabbath. I asked you to simply explain how the days of Creation being literal days does not make any sense as you claim.

You have no desire to explain your objections, just want to push for thousand year periods for the days and the millennium. That is taking exception to the Sabbath, but you are not willing to discuss your beliefs against it.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 12-25-21 Tevet 20, 5782 7th. day of the weekly cycle, 5th. Winter Day

I Posted this 6-11-19

Is there anyone that keeps The Sabbath Day Holy, from Sunset on the 6th.Day/Friday until The ending of The 7th. Day at Sunset, on Saturday by The Gregorian Calendar.

If so being on one accord for that event to happen, We want to thank God for your Faith in doing just that as a start to perfection. Every Sabbath , Sabbath Scriptures: About Sabbath Scriptures , Sabbath Day In The KJV

Sabbath Day, Please Read all.

Sabbaths , Judging one another about the Sabbath .

I have reason to believe of the above study, that The Sabbaths and the Feast Days/Holy Convocations goes together for his/Jesus customs as him and The Apostles, went in the synagogues. Luke 4:16 , Acts 17:2

Acts 17:2

Righteousness is a position. When you become saved you are considered in right standing with God. ... Holiness is the quality of being holy, a life that is full of godly character. Righteousness is to be upright in God, to be blamless. A righteousness man is also a holy man, both of them work together.

Ephesians 4 KJV

LOL, Walter and Debbie
Out of those 53 pages of places in the KJV that simply use the word Sabbath, all you really needed was Exodus 20:8-10.

That is the Sabbath Commandment from among the 10 Commandments and the only verse that matters in this regard.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember when Jesus was accused of breaking the law by healing on the Sabbath?
John 5:17
I beleive this is the most amazing and stunning of all the recorded sayings of Jesus but most people don't understand it any better than the Pharisees did at the time.
If God has been working UNTIL NOW then He has not rested and the Sabbath has not yet happened!
We can join Him in His rest which will be the millennial reign established by Jesus at His return by following Him now!
2 Peter 3:8
Hebrews 4:9
This argument is typically used to disregard the Sabbath, but it always fail to account for the fact that Jesus said that is 100% lawful to do good deeds on the Sabbath(Matt. 12:12). Of course God continues to work on the Sabbath because it is the day in which He does His sanctifying work(Exo. 31:13)! Anti-Sabbatarians consistently fail to realize that Jesus' issue with the Pharisees concerning the Sabbath is that they made it an oppressive rule to follow rather than a command people were meant to benefit from. That was the whole point behind Jesus saying the Sabbath was made for man(Mar. 2:27). Just because God works on the Sabbath, it hardly means God gave people a license to disregard it!

While you attempt to accuse others of not understanding the situation, you highlight the fact that it is you who fails to understand it. If you investigate the origins of Orthodox Judaism, you would know that within a few generations after the deaths of Ezra and Nehemiah, the Pharisees created a bunch of man-made rules to determine what could or couldn't be done on the Sabbath because they didn't want the Jews to be punished again on account of their profaning the Sabbath.

Consequently, making those rules concerning Sabbath conduct ironically resulted in them creating an entirely different religion altogether, hence Christ's statement in Jhn. 5:45-47 that the religious leaders didn't believe a single word Moses wrote. Jesus' demonstrations to the Pharisees were about their rules concerning the Sabbath, not whether or not it should be kept! After all, Luk.4:16 says Jesus has never once failed to keep the Sabbath. Profaning the Sabbath was a sin 2000 years ago, and it's a sin now.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you're 52, you profess to be a Christian, you adamantly "embrace" evolution and science and claim they seamlessly coincide with scripture, you ask a few questions in this thread pertaining to the Bible - yet you don't care to discuss one bit of it.

Sounds like a modern Christian to me. You did it! Congrats.:)
Just want to point out that there is such a belief as "evolutionary creation."
What is Evolutionary Creation? - Common-questions

Do I agree with it? I don't care, but it doesn't determine whether or not a person believes Jesus died on the cross for our sins.

God created science and the real study of science shows Gods wisdom and his complete and perfect design, well enough to form man out of dust.

Have a blessed Sabbath

Reactions: Grailhunter

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't see the OT sabbath as being current now, with NT. The law was changed (Hebrews 7.12). What we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19). It's the resurrection that demonstrated that the Lord Jesus became 'the firstfruits of them that slept' (1 Corinthians 15.20).

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see the OT sabbath as being current now, with NT. The law was changed (Hebrews 7.12). What we now have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.19). It's the resurrection that demonstrated that the Lord Jesus became 'the firstfruits of them that slept' (1 Corinthians 15.20).
Read Hebrews chapter 4, its the same book so it is impossible for it to contradict itself

Particularly verses 9-11

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This argument is typically used to disregard the Sabbath.
Thanks for the reply. Can you provide a couple of links because I have only heard it once before and I thought we were the only ones.

This argument is typically used to disregard the Sabbath, but it always fail to account for the fact that Jesus said that is 100% lawful to do good deeds on the Sabbath(Matt. 12:12). Of course God continues to work on the Sabbath because it is the day in which He does His sanctifying work(Exo. 31:13)! Anti-Sabbatarians consistently fail to realize that Jesus' issue with the Pharisees concerning the Sabbath is that they made it an oppressive rule to follow rather than a command people were meant to benefit from. That was the whole point behind Jesus saying the Sabbath was made for man(Mar. 2:27). Just because God works on the Sabbath, it hardly means God gave people a license to disregard it!

While you attempt to accuse others of not understanding the situation, you highlight the fact that it is you who fails to understand it. If you investigate the origins of Orthodox Judaism, you would know that within a few generations after the deaths of Ezra and Nehemiah, the Pharisees created a bunch of man-made rules to determine what could or couldn't be done on the Sabbath because they didn't want the Jews to be punished again on account of their profaning the Sabbath.

Consequently, making those rules concerning Sabbath conduct ironically resulted in them creating an entirely different religion altogether, hence Christ's statement in Jhn. 5:45-47 that the religious leaders didn't believe a single word Moses wrote. Jesus' demonstrations to the Pharisees were about their rules concerning the Sabbath, not whether or not it should be kept! After all, Luk.4:16 says Jesus has never once failed to keep the Sabbath. Profaning the Sabbath was a sin 2000 years ago, and it's a sin now.
Jesus said all the law and prophets hang on just two commandments. Which of them does keeping the Sabbath fall under?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Read Hebrews chapter 4, its the same book so it is impossible for it to contradict itself

Particularly verses 9-11

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.
The sabbath mentioned there is not about observing the sabbath - Saturday - ceremonially - as in the OT.

Christ our passover is sacrificed 'and is become the firstfruits of them that slept'. The cross takes us away from Sinai, and points us to our great High Priest Who is passed into the heavens (Hebrews 4.14); the cross does not take us back to Sinai.

cc @Rudometkin FYI.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said all the law and prophets hang on just two commandments. Which of them does keeping the Sabbath fall under?
It falls under Loving and revering God with all your heart, mind and strength. It is the 4th Commandment.

The first 4 Commandments, of the 10 in Exodus 20, are Commandments concerning respect and honor for God. The final 6 concern respecting and honoring your fellow man.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. Can you provide a couple of links because I have only heard it once before and I thought we were the only ones.

I see love is the law and the word love in the Bible is "ahava", which means "to give love", love as an action verb here, not based on emotion.

I consider obedience giving love to God, and I can't tell people what to do but I believe the Sabbath command is from God himself, not merely manmade laws, and stands until the end, but that's my theory.

I don't have any links about it but Subversive Sabbath is a good book to look at and I'll see if I can find something.

The sabbath mentioned there is not about observing the sabbath - Saturday - ceremonially - as in the OT.

Christ our passover is sacrificed 'and is become the firstfruits of them that slept'. The cross takes us away from Sinai, and points us to our great High Priest Who is passed into the heavens (Hebrews 4.14); the cross does not take us back to Sinai.

cc @Rudometkin FYI.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here or what you mean by Sinai? I'm curious what @WalterandDebbie think on Hebrews 4 here in this regard, to me I don't see any separation since it specifically talks about the seventh day.

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It falls under Loving and revering God with all your heart, mind and strength. It is the 4th Commandment.

The first 4 Commandments, of the 10 in Exodus 20, are Commandments concerning respect and honor for God. The final 6 concern respecting and honoring your fellow man.
But the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know it's interesting @farouk because in the ESV Hebrews 4:8 says "Joshua", SO I really missed this part-

"For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on."

But then I went to my KJV and it makes more sense...

"For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward spoken of another day..."

In other words, he wouldn't have spoken of the Sabbath if it was done with. I see him saying he is Lord of the Sabbath, but not where he says it is over. I believe if love is the law, then what he was meant was he made it complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the more reason to observe it. It is a wonderful gift from God.

Most Christians never discover how amazing it is because they never attempt to observe it.

It is one of the greatest threats to the enemy and he has confused, and stigmatized, the concept immensely.

Those who begin to observe it sincerely, are showered with blessings they never imagined possible.

It is one of the most loving things you can do for God. In its observance, you are honoring God and remembering some of the most important things He has ever done.

ETA: It is also the one and ONLY day God ever blessed and sanctified. To say it is a very special day is a massive understatement. Especially in God's eyes.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I see love is the law and the word love in the Bible is "ahava", which means "to give love", love as an action verb here, not based on emotion.

I consider obedience giving love to God, and I can't tell people what to do but I believe the Sabbath command is from God himself, not merely manmade laws, and stands until the end, but that's my theory.

I don't have any links about it but Subversive Sabbath is a good book to look at and I'll see if I can find something.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here or what you mean by Sinai? I'm curious what @WalterandDebbie think on Hebrews 4 here in this regard, to me I don't see any separation since it specifically talks about the seventh day.
@FluffyYellowDuck Sinai referring to law and law-keeping. There is plenty of Scripture to show we are under grace, not law; and Hebrews gloriously demonstrates that fullness of revelation in Christ supersedes types and shadows in the OT.

The rest principle - from Genesis - which is Creational, does endure for our benefit.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck Sinai referring to law and law-keeping. There is plenty of Scripture to show we are under grace, not law; and Hebrews gloriously demonstrates that fullness of revelation in Christ supersedes types and shadows in the OT.

The rest principle - from Genesis - which is Creational, does endure for our benefit.
Okay, thanks, I Googled it and it just took me to a map and so I didn't understand what you meant.

Thanks for explaining

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Note the phrase here, too:
Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

As @GEN2REV said
Those who begin to observe it sincerely, are showered with blessings they never imagined possible.

I agree with this.

It was also the one of the commands in Isaiah 58 for God to answer their prayers

“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
then you will find your joy in the Lord,
and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to point out that there is such a belief as "evolutionary creation."
What is Evolutionary Creation? - Common-questions

Do I agree with it? I don't care, but it doesn't determine whether or not a person believes Jesus died on the cross for our sins.

God created science and the real study of science shows Gods wisdom and his complete and perfect design, well enough to form man out of dust.

Have a blessed Sabbath
Thanks for this link. I've had a scan through it and some concepts are compatible with mine, but by no means all.
I wholeheartedly appreciate and welcome your point that belief in evolution or lack thereof is of no consequence to our eternal souls and that contending otherwise is a serious stumbling block for many people.
Shabbat Shalom to you too.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

Luke Four 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Love, Walter