Sabbath-Keeping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Yes? Why did you stop there?

Heb 6:3 And this will we do, if God permit.
Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Wait...those who were once enlightened...and have tasted of the heavenly gift....and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost...and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come...in other words, these people were born again Christians?
And if they shall fall away....

But wait...what happened to their eternal security?
Something is definitely amiss here....
What does this have to do with keeping the Shabbat?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Look, I freely admit that I do not have a fancy seminary education. I married right out of high school. I did put myself through two years of law school however...several years later. And I graduated with honors.

My only Teacher when it comes to my Christian faith has been the Word of God. It has been my treasure for nearly 53 years.
At 12 years old, I had never heard the term "doctrine", nor would I have cared much if I had. I certainly was not familiar with such terms as "exegesis" or "soteriology" or "eschatology"...of course, since those early days I have worked as a "secretary" (translated "girl Friday") in a huge church in Florida which also included a Christian school, which I helped to write lessons for. I also worked at the church's radio station...which was a heck of a lot more fun.

Anyhow, I may not have the degrees on the wall...but then, neither did Peter, or John, or Philip...and yet Jesus chose them.
I am not at a disadvantage....if anything, I have the advantage, because I can come to the Word without any preconceived notions that interfere with the pure teaching of the Lord, Himself.
No greater Professor exists!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Paul could preach Christ crucified any day of the week....and I'm pretty sure he did just that.
But he still went to the synagogue every Sabbath day.
And so did the rest of the Apostles.
Just as Jesus had done....
You don't seem to understand...the synagogue is where the people gathered...especially on the Shabbat...

Here he had a receptive audience...Paul's purpose was preaching Christ crucified, not observing the Shabbat...

News flash...Jesus, Paul and the rest of the apostles were Jews...! Jews observe the Shabbat.

We as Christians are not under the Law, so it is not an ordinance for us, yet it is ok if you do...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
What does this have to do with keeping the Shabbat?
Why did you post the verses from Hebrews?

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

What have these to do with the Sabbath?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Look, I freely admit that I do not have a fancy seminary education. I married right out of high school. I did put myself through two years of law school however...several years later. And I graduated with honors.

My only Teacher when it comes to my Christian faith has been the Word of God. It has been my treasure for nearly 53 years.
At 12 years old, I had never heard the term "doctrine", nor would I have cared much if I had. I certainly was not familiar with such terms as "exegesis" or "soteriology" or "eschatology"...of course, since those early days I have worked as a "secretary" (translated "girl Friday") in a huge church in Florida which also included a Christian school, which I helped to write lessons for. I also worked at the church's radio station...which was a heck of a lot more fun.

Anyhow, I may not have the degrees on the wall...but then, neither did Peter, or John, or Philip...and yet Jesus chose them.
I am not at a disadvantage....if anything, I have the advantage, because I can come to the Word without any preconceived notions that interfere with the pure teaching of the Lord, Himself.
No greater Professor exists!
This is a false boast...

One of your preconceived notions is you have to observe the Shabbat as a Christian.

Also you have parrot answers concerning this Shabbat topic...tablets written in stone, 10 inside the ark mosaic covenant outside...blah, blah, blah...

Those are all learned answers...

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Why did you post the verses from Hebrews?

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

What have these to do with the Sabbath?
The Law was a tutor...love is the maturity...we are under grace not the Law...these are elementary principles

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
Almost there kiddo!
What does imperishable mean Barrd.

Phoneman777 said:
Can you stop calling me bro, it's annoying.

Phoneman777 said:
what you are preaching is what the majority of Christians believe today.
What, that the seed of God never leaves us? Of course the majority believes this, because they understand Grace Phone.

Phoneman777 said:
What the flip is so difficult about the idea that "I may sin as much as I like and still fully expect to be granted eternal life."
In one ear and out the other, isn't that right Phone. I'm praying for you man................

1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

2 Cor 4:4 NIV The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

justaname said:
Why would I be concerned with commands engraved in stone, when His laws are engraved on my heart?
Amen! Heb 4:12 NIV For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Phoneman777 said:
Justaname, I've challenged other liberals here who believe that Christians are not obligated to keep the Ten Commandments to publicly declare that we are at liberty to freely break them - so far, no one has been courageous enough to do so.
1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

2 Cor 4:4 NIV The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

:(

The Barrd said:
I mean, the Ten Commandments are timeless. They are the basic laws that we must live by. I can't imagine any Christian who would dare to claim that we might break those laws with impunity....
Actually, we don't. No one who is born of God will continue to sin Barrd. What does it mean to be "born of God".....

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
You don't seem to understand...the synagogue is where the people gathered...especially on the Shabbat...

Here he had a receptive audience...Paul's purpose was preaching Christ crucified, not observing the Shabbat...

News flash...Jesus, Paul and the rest of the apostles were Jews...! Jews observe the Shabbat.

We as Christians are not under the Law, so it is not an ordinance for us, yet it is ok if you do...
The synagogue was where the people gathered especially on the Sabbath.
And I've a news flash for you, too.
Paul was a Jew...in fact, he was the model Jew.

Acts 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city Jerusalem) at the feet of Gamaliel, (Acts 5:34-39) and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
Phil 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

Phil. 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Acts 22:25-28 And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman, and uncondemned? When the centurion heard that, he went and told the chief captain, saying, Take heed what thou doest: for this man is a Roman. Then the chief captain came, and said unto him, Tell me, art thou a Roman? He said, Yea. And the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born.

Acts 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.

So, yeah....Paul went to the synagogue on the Sabbath to worship, as he had done all of his life.

Now, why would you draw a difference between Paul and the rest of the Apostles?

Status
Not open for further replies.