Sabbath-Keeping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Faulty logic once again I'm afraid. Why do you think that the fact that both covenants were made with the house of Israel mean that we are still under the first one? That doesn't make sence, and it is not what Jeremiah 31 is saying at all. You might as well use the same argument that we are all bound by a covenant that requires us to keep all the 613 commandments in that covenant!

You even cite the verse that says that the first covenant was faulty, and yet you not only think we are under a covenant that scripture says is faulty, you think we are under a covenant that scripture says is obsolete. That's totally wrong.

You have totally misunderstood what I said.
The fact is that both commandments were made with Israel. BOTH of them.
But who is Israel?

We are not under the Old Covenant, and I never, ever said that we are. You have completely twisted my words all out of proportion.
What I said is that, if you reject the first Covenant because it was made with Israel, then you have no part of the second Covenant. Not that they are the same Covenant, but that they are made with the same people.

Nope. If they were then all 613 commandments would obviously apply. Every stroke of the pen, every "dot and title" all of it. What on earth do you think a covenant is? It is like a contract that you sign and bind yourself to ALL of its terms.

Look again.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Let me repeat that, just in case you missed it the first time. Speaking of the New Covenant (not the Old Covenant, but the NEW Covenant, let's make that very clear), God says"
I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts:

Will this NEW Covenant include God's law? What did He say?

Not The Barrd's law, or the Phoneman's law...God said "I will put MY laws into their mind, and write them on their hearts:"

The Barrd isn't doing the writing, nor is the Phoneman. God is the One Who is doing the writing, and what He is writing are His laws.

The Barrd didn't write Hebrews, and I'm pretty sure Phoneman didn't either. I'm simply repeating to you what the Bible says.

Yes, a Covenant is a contract. God has His part, and we have ours. God has fulfilled His part. What do you think our part is?
Yes, the New Covenant...not the Old Covenant, which no longer applies, but the NEW Covenant...does contain God's law.
How do I know this? Phoneman didn't tell me this. I didn't tell Phoneman. We both got the news from the same source.
Because God said so.

Who is saying that there is no more law? What I am saying is that the Mosaic law no longer applies to us, which I have shown you time and time again. It has nothing to do with removing the penalty. If you remove the penalty from a law then it is no longer a law. The correct way to deal with this is to acknowledge what scripture says - we are no longer under the supervision of the Mosaic law.

You are contradicting yourself here, but no matter.
What do you think Jesus was doing, hanging on the cross?
Was He paying the penalty for our sin? If not, what was He doing?
Now, if I owe you a debt I cannot pay, and someone else...let's say Phoneman...comes along and says "Gee, The Barrd can never pay this debt. I'm gonna be a good guy and pay this loan off for her." Would I then, still owe you any money? Of course not. My debt would be paid. I'd be an idiot to keep trying to pay you myself, wouldn't I?
And, of course, I would be deeply grateful to my benefactor...in this case, the Phoneman. He would have himself a loyal friend to the end.
(Relax, Phoneman, I'm not expecting you to pay my debts. Unless you just really want to.... :rolleyes: )

Now, on a much larger scale, this is what Jesus has done for us. We have all of us broken God's law. We have sinned. No use to say we haven't, God says we have. We are guilty.
What is the penalty?
Well, you know what it is.
You have said it yourself. It is death.
But Jesus paid that penalty.
Thus, the penalty for breaking the law has been paid.
That doesn't mean the law has been repealed. It only means that the penalty has been paid.

And once again, I am not referring to Mosaic Law. Do try to keep up.

That scripture says nothing whatsoever about law. You need to read what it says, not what you want it to say. Gal 5 teaches us that there are fruits that identify whether or not we are on course - i.e. following the law of Christ. If we follow the spirit then we will bear good fruit, if we follow the flesh then our fruit will be bad. It says nothing about the 10 commandments, and I would challenge you to show me one verse that indicates that being under the 10 commandments produces good fruit. As it is, scripture says the exact opposite, just as the historical account of the gospel also shows us.

That scripture gives a list of behaviors that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God.
They are the sorts of things that someone with no law to guide him or her might get involved in.
"Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like"...that's quite a list. Many, if not most of these things are covered in the Ten Commandments.
Best way to stay out of trouble would be to keep the commandments...

This is getting way too long.
And I'm falling asleep sitting up...I've been up all night.
Very quickly, I will say again....this is the NEW Covenant, not the Old one. It is made with Israel. It includes the Ten C's. And it grace.
Have a great day!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UppsalaDragby said:
You haven't restated my beliefs at all. You have distorted them in the same way that those who opposed Paul distorted his message. Paul's claim that we are no longer under the Mosiac law was met with slander. They were claiming that he was promoting sin - JUST AS YOU ARE DOING HERE!!

So if you think you are "restating my beliefs" then do what I have asked you to do all along - use quotes!!

I have explained it to you over and over again. The fact that our conduct should be morally consistent with the commandments is not equivalent to saying that we are under them. To be under the 10 commandments means that we are under a law, and a law has consequences. Now, if you can show me where scripture tells us that we are under the 10 commandments without the consequences that the Mosaic law stipulates then just point it out to me.

Otherwise, stop confusing laws and commandments with morality! They are related, but they are not the same thing.

Furthermore, scripture teaches us that legalism, whether one thinks it is a salvation issue or not, is the wrong way to go. Read Galatians carefully! These people obviously knew that salvation was through faith in Christ, but nevertheless were slipping back in to legalism. Our focus should not be on laws - they DON'T make us any more righteous than anyone else! And clearly, Paul indicated that "observing special days and months and seasons and years" which might seem innocent enough to us, was a distortion of the gospel! And what he said was pretty scary: "I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you". And even MORE scary:

"Even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!"

Now as much as we disagree Phoneman, I don't want you or anyone else to be eternally condemned. But this dogma that you are spreading is a false gospel.
Don't get hysterical. And don't speak out of both sides of your mouth. Saying that we are not obligated to keep the Ten Commandments but we aren't at liberty to break them is doing just that, and you are the only person on the planet who can't see it.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UppsalaDragby said:
Yeah sure, two totally unbiased people who act as cheerleaders for each other..

Who are you trying to kid??? I like to emphasize things that I feel are important. You can interpret that as being hysterical if you want. Who cares?

Really, I find it very easy to do. Just watch:

Do we, then, nullify the Old Covenant by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the Old Covenant.

So what's the problem?

And besides, I am not saying that the Old Covenant IS the law, but that it contains a set of laws, of which the 10 commandments are an integral part.

What do these verses tell you:

"And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant--the Ten Commandments." (Exodus 34:28)

"He declared to you his covenant, the Ten Commandments, which he commanded you to follow and then wrote them on two stone tablets." (Deut 4:13)

Oh boy.. I have told you over and over again. I have never said that the law has passed away, but that it is obsolete for those who believe. I even gave you a scripture that explains exactly how it works. So how long are you going to keep this up? Stop distorting my words and keep the law you claim that you keep!
How in the world can the Old Covenant be "upheld" (KJV "established") when it has PASSED AWAY OUT OF EXISTENCE?

Look at it this way:

I have a spare $25,000 Fukishura 12-Fiber Ribbon Fusion Splicer and I only loan it to people who take care of it. You need to splice some fiber optic cable and ask for the loan. I promise to loan it to you on condition that you follow my rule to take care of it and you promise to do so, and thus we enter into what we decide to call the "Old Covenant".

You scratch up the display, bend the electrodes, and contaminate the internal motors, optics, and sensors with bad sushi and boogers. Now, as you can guess, I am not at all pleased, but because I like you, I decide to dissolve the "Old Covenant" and make a "New Covenant" with you:

I again promise to loan it to you if you promise to follow my rule to take care of it and this time I give you the address of a really swell guy who will not only show you how to take care of it, but if you accidentally contaminate it with more bad sushi and boogers, he will fix the problem for you, all free of charge.

QUESTION: Did my rule that you take care of my Splicer disappear along with our "Old Covenant"? No, the rule remains in place but help has been provided for you to uphold your promise, and if you still deliberately refuse to avail yourself of that help, your next stop is a government unemployment office - aka "hell".

Can you see how my rule does not become "obsolete", but rather the standard by which I judge whether you have accepted my grace and mercy extended to you?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
I have explained it to you over and over again. The fact that our conduct should be morally consistent with the commandments is not equivalent to saying that we are under them. To be under the 10 commandments means that we are under a law, and a law has consequences. Now, if you can show me where scripture tells us that we are under the 10 commandments without the consequences that the Mosaic law stipulates then just point it out to me.
Otherwise, stop confusing laws and commandments with morality! They are related, but they are not the same thing.

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

What is "sin" but disobedience to God?
And what are the wages of sin?

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Furthermore, scripture teaches us that legalism, whether one thinks it is a salvation issue or not, is the wrong way to go. Read Galatians carefully! These people obviously knew that salvation was through faith in Christ, but nevertheless were slipping back in to legalism. Our focus should not be on laws - they DON'T make us any more righteous than anyone else! And clearly, Paul indicated that "observing special days and months and seasons and years" which might seem innocent enough to us, was a distortion of the gospel! And what he said was pretty scary: "I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you". And even MORE scary:

"Even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!"

Now as much as we disagree Phoneman, I don't want you or anyone else to be eternally condemned. But this dogma that you are spreading is a false gospel.

You honestly think someone is going to be condemned for teaching people to love God and keep His commandments?
Think about that real, real hard...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Phoneman777 said:
How in the world can the Old Covenant be "upheld" (KJV "established") when it has PASSED AWAY OUT OF EXISTENCE?

Look at it this way:

I have a spare $25,000 Fukishura 12-Fiber Ribbon Fusion Splicer and I only loan it to people who take care of it. You need to splice some fiber optic cable and ask for the loan. I promise to loan it to you on condition that you follow my rule to take care of it and you promise to do so, and thus we enter into what we decide to call the "Old Covenant".

You scratch up the display, bend the electrodes, and contaminate the internal motors, optics, and sensors with bad sushi and boogers. Now, as you can guess, I am not at all pleased, but because I like you, I decide to dissolve the "Old Covenant" and make a "New Covenant" with you:

I again promise to loan it to you if you promise to follow my rule to take care of it and this time I give you the address of a really swell guy who will not only show you how to take care of it, but if you accidentally contaminate it with more bad sushi and boogers, he will fix the problem for you, all free of charge.

QUESTION: Did my rule that you take care of my Splicer disappear along with our "Old Covenant"? No, the rule remains in place but help has been provided for you to uphold your promise, and if you still deliberately refuse to avail yourself of that help, your next stop is a government unemployment office - aka "hell".

Can you see how my rule does not become "obsolete", but rather the standard by which I judge whether you have accepted my grace and mercy extended to you?
HEY, not bad, Phoneman!
I couldn't have said it nearly so well.
I may borrow it....only I think in my example, I'll use a canner, or maybe a sewing machine... ;)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
HEY, not bad, Phoneman!
I couldn't have said it nearly so well.
I may borrow it....only I think in my example, I'll use a canner, or maybe a sewing machine... ;)
Thanks, praise God. I don't understand why people insist on complicating the 3 simple aspects of the Gospel, which are 1) You get what you don't deserve 2) You don't get what you do deserve 3) You don't have to continue to be who you are.

My favorite preacher, C.D. Brooks, has said for years that he "can't understand why it's so hard for God to get people to turn from their sin and serve Him. It's as if they think He's gonna take 'em up to heaven and put 'em on a chain gang."

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Phoneman777 said:
Thanks, praise God. I don't understand why people insist on complicating the 3 simple aspects of the Gospel, which are 1) You get what you don't deserve 2) You don't get what you do deserve 3) You don't have to continue to be who you are.

My favorite preacher, C.D. Brooks, has said for years that he "can't understand why it's so hard for God to get people to turn from their sin and serve Him. It's as if they think He's gonna take 'em up to heaven and put 'em on a chain gang."
Bad sushi and.....boogers?????

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Apostle John in 1st John says "sin is transgression of the law", and also he says "those who say they know Him and keep not His commandments are liars and the truth is not in them"...and Paul said in Romans "do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid, and do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law!

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
The Barrd said:
Yeah sure, two totally unbiased people who act as cheerleaders for each other..
Who are you trying to kid??? I like to emphasize things that I feel are important. You can interpret that as being hysterical if you want. Who cares?

I just want to let you know here....the Phoneman and I have never met, never spoken, do not know each other, and are not "acting as cheerleaders for each other." We happen to share a common belief...i.e., the story of Lazarus and the rich man is a parable.
Now, if we continue to find common ground, we may become friends, but at this point in time, we are two strangers who happen to agree on one thing, and that's all we are.

The fact is that two complete strangers are telling you that you are acting hysterical.
Now, I don't know....but I think that if two separate strangers were to say such a thing to me, I'd back off a bit, and think about it.
Is it something about the way I am presenting myself? Am I, perhaps, overdoing it a bit?

Maybe...just perhaps...it isn't Phoneman, or me.

Maybe...just perhaps...it is you.
I am not saying that you know each others, but it is not uncommon that two people on a forum who share common beliefs support each other. That's just the way it works.

And I am not stupid! Sheesh! I have been debating in forums for decades, and I am well familiar with the old "portray-your-opponant-as-a-raving-lunatic" tactic. It is cheap and dishonest. I have never been hysterical, and on one I or have ever known in "real life" has ever called me hysterical. And yet you two, who have absolutely no power whatsoever of determining what my mental condition is, are supposedly worth listening to.. and of course .. this has nothing at all to do with this debate.

Oh yeah, that's really likely!

Why don't the pair of you be honest instead and deal with the issues, the scriptures, and the arguments used, instead of resorting to ad-hominem attacks? That would be nice!

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
NOTE! THIS IS A QUESTION TO THE CURRENT PARTICIPANTS IN THIS THREAD WHO ARE THEOLOGICALLY OPPOSED TO SDA/ADVENTIST THEOLOGY:

Do any of you think that I am hysterical?

The Barrd seems to think that the fact that her claim that I am has nothing to do with the fact that she is on the same side as Phoneman. (oh really!!)

So let's start counting! :lol:

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
The Barrd said:
You have totally misunderstood what I said.
The fact is that both commandments were made with Israel. BOTH of them.
But who is Israel?
I didn't missunderstand what you said at all. Not in the slightest. The fact that we are ingrafted into Israel has nothing to do with there being two separate covenants, one making the other obsolete.

The fact of the matter is that the New Covenant was offered to the Jews FIRST, but rejected by the majority of them.

And who "Isreal" is is up to God to determine. After all, "a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly".

We are not under the Old Covenant, and I never, ever said that we are. You have completely twisted my words all out of proportion.
I haven't twisted "your words" at all. If that was the case you are quite welcome to present "your words" and show me where I have twisted "your words". Perhaps you are twisting mine into implying that I claimed that you are saying that we are not under the Old Covenant. As it is I haven't.

And as ridiculous as it might sound, you are claiming here that we are not under the OC, but then claim that in order to be part of the New Covenant, you have to accept ("not reject") the OC.. which you agree is obsolete!?? What??

I don't have to twist your words, you do that perfectly on your own!

Not that they are the same Covenant, but that they are made with the same people.
Sooo? There are a lot of things that applied to the Jews that not even you consider to be aplicable today.

This is a another logical error. A logical error is something that is built on a faulty premise, or that does not demonstrate the argument you are trying to make. You need to understand logic if you are going to make an argument that you think is logical.

Look again.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Let me repeat that, just in case you missed it the first time. Speaking of the New Covenant (not the Old Covenant, but the NEW Covenant, let's make that very clear), God says"
Will this NEW Covenant include God's law? What did He say?
Not The Barrd's law, or the Phoneman's law...God said "I will put MY laws into their mind, and write them on their hearts:"
The Barrd isn't doing the writing, nor is the Phoneman. God is the One Who is doing the writing, and what He is writing are His laws.
The Barrd didn't write Hebrews, and I'm pretty sure Phoneman didn't either. I'm simply repeating to you what the Bible says.
Look again? What am I supposed to be looking at? I didn't say that either "The Barrd" or "Phoneman" wrote any of those verses, so what's your point?

Yes, a Covenant is a contract. God has His part, and we have ours. God has fulfilled His part. What do you think our part is?
Our part is to keep the covenant we are a part of. Why do you ask?

Yes, the New Covenant...not the Old Covenant, which no longer applies, but the NEW Covenant...does contain God's law.

How do I know this? Phoneman didn't tell me this. I didn't tell Phoneman. We both got the news from the same source.
Because God said so.
Well God didn't say so in scripture, that's for sure. You can claim that "God said so" but that's up to you.

You are contradicting yourself here, but no matter.
What do you think Jesus was doing, hanging on the cross?
Was He paying the penalty for our sin? If not, what was He doing?
Now, if I owe you a debt I cannot pay, and someone else...let's say Phoneman...comes along and says "Gee, The Barrd can never pay this debt. I'm gonna be a good guy and pay this loan off for her." Would I then, still owe you any money? Of course not. My debt would be paid. I'd be an idiot to keep trying to pay you myself, wouldn't I?
And, of course, I would be deeply grateful to my benefactor...in this case, the Phoneman. He would have himself a loyal friend to the end.
There is no contradiction on my part. What you are doing is building up a false argument and pretending to knock it down, otherwise known as a "strawman". I never said that Jesus did not pay our depts. But it's a long cry from saying that Jesus paid our debts, to interpreting that as meaning we must "do our best to keep the 10 commandments". That is not what scripture says. It teaches us that we have a New Covenant that is not based on trying and failing to obey commandments written on stone, but on following the living Spirit of Christ and obeying him.

If God is telling you personally to keep the 10 commandments, then I don't have a problem with that. However, if you are going to claim that doing so is Christian doctrine then we have a problem, because that is not found anywhere in scripture.

That scripture gives a list of behaviors that will keep you from inheriting the Kingdom of God.
They are the sorts of things that someone with no law to guide him or her might get involved in.
"Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like"...that's quite a list. Many, if not most of these things are covered in the Ten Commandments.
Best way to stay out of trouble would be to keep the commandments...
I don't think you read what I posted. Now you go on to say that your post was getting long, you have been up all night and falling asleep, but just listen for a second. These posts would not be so long if you weren't constantly talking past me. Much of what you say is obvious, and nothing that I have a problem with. We should NOT practice any of the things listed above.

But my point is based on scripture, wheras yours is not. As I have pointed out many times in this thread, trying to keep the 10 commandments does NOT help you to "stay out of trouble". It does the exact opposite:

This is what scripture says about the commandments:

"For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, 'Do not covet.'
But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire."

This is what it says about living by the Spirit:

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. "

Now you can try to figure out clever ways to get around these verses, but you will only find yourself fighting against stripture. God is not trying to restrain bad behaviour as much as he is trying to solve what causes it - evil desires.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
Phoneman777 said:
Don't get hysterical. And don't speak out of both sides of your mouth. Saying that we are not obligated to keep the Ten Commandments but we aren't at liberty to break them is doing just that, and you are the only person on the planet who can't see it.
Don't give false testimony against your brother.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
Phoneman777 said:

Look at it this way:

Well look at that. According to your own standard of judgement you are absolutely hysterical.

I just finished saying that "I have never said that the law has passed away" and yet you ignore that with this nonsensical comment. Get back to me when you have invested in a pair of glasses. I can't be bothered with such ignorance.

UppsalaDragby

Feb 6, 2012
heretoeternity said:
Apostle John in 1st John says "sin is transgression of the law", and also he says "those who say they know Him and keep not His commandments are liars and the truth is not in them"...and Paul said in Romans "do we sin more so grace abounds? God forbid, and do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law!
And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UppsalaDragby said:
I am not saying that you know each others, but it is not uncommon that two people on a forum who share common beliefs support each other. That's just the way it works.

And I am not stupid! Sheesh! I have been debating in forums for decades, and I am well familiar with the old "portray-your-opponant-as-a-raving-lunatic" tactic. It is cheap and dishonest. I have never been hysterical, and on one I or have ever known in "real life" has ever called me hysterical. And yet you two, who have absolutely no power whatsoever of determining what my mental condition is, are supposedly worth listening to.. and of course .. this has nothing at all to do with this debate.

Oh yeah, that's really likely!

Why don't the pair of you be honest instead and deal with the issues, the scriptures, and the arguments used, instead of resorting to ad-hominem attacks? That would be nice!
I wish I had a dollar for every time you used the "!".

Status
Not open for further replies.