Sabbath or Sunday? What did Jesus teach & show in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus is Lord of the sabbath. He healed - did work - on the sabbath which angered the religious leaders.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really much of a stretch considering verse 4...

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Anyway, don't lump me in with the Sabbatarians. My position is that Moses gave us one weekend day, and Jesus gave us a 2nd one. :Happy:
5 more good ole Jewish boys like that and we wouldn't have to work at all!!!!!!! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This post was taken and copied here from your post "Gentiles was given truth & worshiping on the Sabbath foretold" and pasted here as my comments bear the same results
You can check and you will find that Bible scholars are in agreement, whether the are Jewish, Catholic or Protestant. They recognize that the seventh day of the week was the Sabbath and it is Saturday. God didn’t change the Sabbath, and neither did the apostles or early church. Nowhere in the Bible was the Sabbath day changed to Sunday and you can see the meeting at Jerusalem long after the resurrection and not a word of any change of the Sabbath day
Bible scholars are not always correct, nor any denomination. We can't see it in our English Bibles but God did change the Sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week
Acts 13:44
42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
The word "next" means "in-between" i.e. "in-between sabbaths" has to be the first day of the week, as we read in 1 Corinthians 16:1-2:

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Already on the first day of the week the churches of Galatia were tithing. When do we set aside our tithing? When we assemble together on Sundays!

Concerning your first paragraph above.

I beg to differ. As I've already asserted God did change the Seventh Day Sabbath to the first day of the week. We read in Matthew 28:1,

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

Note* The word "sabbath" is the Hebrew plural word (sabbaton). The word "day" is italicized to mean it is NOT in the original manuscript in the KJV Bible. The word "week" is also the same Hebrew word "sabbaton " Go ahead check me out.

Therefore, we can render Matthew 28:1 to read thus:

"In the end of the sabbaths, as it began to dawn toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible scholars are not always correct, nor any denomination. We can't see it in our English Bibles but God did change the Sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week

When did God change it? More importantly Where did God change it?

MOST IMPORTANT IT WAS MAN.... NOT GOD

A search for

How was the Sabbath changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week?​

Brings out the good old RCC.

The Sabbath in the Bible
Constantine Enacted Sunday Observance
The Catholic Church Admits to Changing the Sabbath

The Catechism​

“Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.”
The Convert’s Catechism of Catholic Doctrine by Reverend Peter Giermann.
“Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?
Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day; a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.
Reverend Steven Keenan’s Doctrinal Catechism.
See the link for additional comment.

The word "next" means "in-between" i.e. "in-between sabbaths" has to be the first day of the week, as we read in 1 Corinthians 16:1-2:

Oy vey.... a definition to fill a need rather then what a word actually means.

next /nĕkst/

adjective​

1. Nearest in space or position; adjacent.
    "the next room."
  2. Immediately following, as in time, order, or sequence.
    "next week; the next item on the list."

adverb​

1. In the time, order, or place nearest or immediately following.
    "reading this book next; our next oldest child."
NEXT MEAN after in a sequence. NOT coming before. So inbetween is so wrong it does not deserve a debate.

Lets just file that away with UNTIL

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Already on the first day of the week the churches of Galatia were tithing. When do we set aside our tithing? When we assemble together on Sundays!
OR by mail.;)

By gum... be sure to give the church it's due . They must be recompensed while preaching the crucifixion.... if they even bother.
Concerning your first paragraph above.

I beg to differ. As I've already asserted God did change the Seventh Day Sabbath to the first day of the week. We read in Matthew 28:1,

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."
First. Why would the arrival of a woman or two or three change the weekly Sabbath?
THEY WERE NOT THERE TO WORSHIP HIM.

And why did they come.....????

Luke 24, But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared.

Mark 16, When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body.

They came to work. Not to worship. For they did not know he had risen nor did they not know that someone might have just stolen the body.

Note* The word "sabbath" is the Hebrew plural word (sabbaton). The word "day" is italicized to mean it is NOT in the original manuscript in the KJV Bible.
There is a lot wrong with the KJV.
The word "week" is also the same Hebrew word "sabbaton " Go ahead check me out.

Therefore, we can render Matthew 28:1 to read thus:

"In the end of the sabbaths, as it began to dawn toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."
NO, we can render Matther 28:1 to read as the Greek Interlinear reads.

After then [the] Sabbaths it being dawn toward [the] first [day] of [the]week came Mary - Magdalene and the other Mary to see the tomb

(You DO know why Sabbaths are plural don't you. Crucifixion week was during Passover Sabbath and Weekly Sabbath)

I hope this helps.

To God Be The Glory
Amen and Amen

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After then [the] Sabbaths it being dawn toward [the] first [day] of [the]week came Mary - Magdalene and the other Mary to see the tomb
How do you account for the words "Sabbaths" and "week" to mean the same plural Hebrew words? You will NEVER find the word "week" translated as such!!

Seems to me you do not adhere to the KJV which I believe to be an excellent translation, seeing how the Strong's and Young's concordances were written especially for KJV (Received Text).

To God Be The Glory

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you account for the words "Sabbaths" and "week" to mean the same plural Hebrew words? You will NEVER find the word "week" translated as such!!

Seems to me you do not adhere to the KJV which I believe to be an excellent translation, seeing how the Strong's and Young's concordances were written especially for KJV (Received Text).

To God Be The Glory
Look, if you are happy with King Jimmy's translation good for you. I could care in the least about what was done about Strong's and Young's concordances. There is no translation
that is accurate.

But when there was not one accounting of the celebration of Easter recorded anywhere in the bible, but there was of Passover... to translate Acts 12:4-6 King James Version 4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.... using the word Easter, capitalized for importance... during a time when a persecution, driven by Herod, had broken out in Jerusalem.

There is no way that Easter would be appropriate here.It was not a celebrated holiday. And there is no way Herod , with his Jewish beliefs would have breathed the name of a Christiaan holiday when the Christians' like James and Peter and many others were basically on the chopping block.
Remember , James (of “Peter, James, and John") was killed. And Peter rounded up and slated for death. Thus we see him sitting in prison awaiting his fate... all due to Christianity beliefs and preaching and teaching.

And if Jimmy's men got this wrong... what else did they? I have read references to God the Father and Jesus and when the pronouns are used they are not capitalized. SO WRONG.

At least the NKJV correct this Easter thing.

I, personally follow NASB95 followed by a double check in the Greek Interlinear, and often the Peshitta or Aramaic in plain english. Old Testament I prefer the Septuagint LXX, and sometimes the LSV.

"How do you account for the words "Sabbaths" and "week" to mean the same plural Hebrew words? You will NEVER find the word "week" translated as such!!"

I wish you, ( and others) would provide references to what you claim rather then have us
going into a deep dive to find out what you mean.

I can not find " the words "Sabbaths" and "week" to mean the same plural Hebrew words? "
So you need to provide your source.

But when you say this "You will NEVER find the word "week" translated as such!!"

ARE YOU AWARE THAT crucifixion time was during 2 Sabbaths. Passover, and the Weekly.
2 Sabbaths in 1 week.

To make it easier, perhaps, for you to understand... Think of it this way.
You have Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday that are common for football games.

4 days in 1 week= plural into singular.

But there is this that even a grade schooler, pre-covid could understand.

The plural form of Sabbath is translated as "the first day of the week". The actual language is "They came to the tomb very early morning Sabbaths..." Since the resurrection took place following a period of 3-days and 3-nights, only one Sabbath could be weekly. The translations are not wrong in that the correct day of the week is rendered (Sunday, the day after the Sabbath). What has happened is that the calendar before the resurrection has become obscured. The only way to get more than one Sabbath into a 3-day period of time is to include an annual day. Luke understood the first day of Unleavened Bread as a "Sabbath" since it was a day of no work. In other words, the resurrection occurred on Sunday after the Sabbaths of the first day of Unleavened Bread and the weekly Sabbath.

Luke is not alone in using the plural form of Sabbath when describing the resurrection. It is one of those aspects of the Gospel which is found in all four accounts: Mark 16:2, Matthew 28:1 (twice), Luke 24:1, and John 20:1 and 20:19. Since the plural was used in all four accounts and since the weekly Sabbaths are 7 days apart and since Jesus was in the tomb 3 days, the second Sabbath must be the first day of Unleavened Bread.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cannot trust the traditions of men on the Sabbath vs. Sunday issue, for this is not safe, nor in just mere human opinions. Instead we need to know what scripture actually says, and above all, what Jesus Christ Himself taught, so we accept His teaching as our final authority.

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator. Jesus said, “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8. By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He is the Creator, who from the beginning created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Ephesians 3:9
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
And of Jesus..
John 1:10
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Holy...
Exodus 20:11
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Even before the tablets of stone at Mt Sinai....
Exodus 16:23
And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on Saturday, the "seventh day of the week", while Sunday is "the first day of the week". Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is Lord even of the "Sabbath day"...
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Jesus Christ never mentioned "the first day of the week" nor taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continued long after the cross and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles, as it clearly show. There is no biblical authorization for the change of the Bible Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. God made the Sabbath at the beginning of the world before any Jews existed, to be a blessing to all mankind. And even more importantly, it is a special sign that Jesus Christ is the true Creator of heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath.

When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law. The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...
Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.
Matthew 12:1-13
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

The New Testament alone mentions the Sabbath day no less than 84 times and never once is there a change of the Sabbath day to any other, nor was it abolished.

Jesus Christ said to keep the commandments:
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19:16-17

Jesus never said that the Sabbath would change even after His death:
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matthew 24:20.

Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D, which was 40 years after the Cross. He kept the seventh day as the Sabbath from Creation and in His life on earth, and Christ says that if we love Him, to keep the Commandments.
The Sabbath is a special day to focus on Jesus Christ our Maker: Jesus is “the Lord” who made the world in six days, and “rested on the seventh day.” Thus the Sabbath is a special day to focus on the Jesus Christ as the Creator of all things..
The sabbath has nothing to do with Christianity. The church ane together on the 1st day of the week notbtge sabbath. Anything Jesus said while he was alive was consistent with the OT laws not the NT which started at his death; so his comments you referenced relative to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD, although subsequent to his death, was consistent with the Jewish laws in effect at the time he spoke. Also, the church had not yet been established when he was speaking to his disciples, so they were not yet Christians nor part of the church. So once again, the sabbath has nothing to do with Christianity.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look, if you are happy with King Jimmy's translation good for you. I could care in the least about what was done about Strong's and Young's concordances. There is no translation
that is accurate.
Agreed, that there are no English translations that are accurate. This is the reasons we accept concordances Don't you think God knows about it?

But I caution you. No man could have written Revelation 22:18-19 Except God:

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

So don't think for a moment that the English Bible translations are NOT the word of God. Myself I prefer the KJV.

To God Be The Glory

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed, that there are no English translations that are accurate. This is the reasons we accept concordances Don't you think God knows about it?

But I caution you. No man could have written Revelation 22:18-19 Except God:

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

So don't think for a moment that the English Bible translations are NOT the word of God. Myself I prefer the KJV.

To God Be The Glory
Just a small observation. The book John references there is his book of Immanuel's Revelation(s).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That he is the revealing of God, the life giver, the restorer, the greatest lover the Universe has ever seen.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That he is the revealing of God, the life giver, the restorer, the greatest lover the Universe has ever seen.
I think I would have worded that last part a bit differently. :p

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What if I went out to the market place and preach only about Jesus' love,
can any of the hearers be saved?

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is Lord of the sabbath. He healed - did work - on the sabbath which angered the religious leaders.
But notice what He did...
Mark 3:4
And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

The Pharisees knew doing good is part of loving God and your fellow man which is the basis of the Law..

Reactions: Pearl

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath means a seventh. So one out of seven. Days, weeks, months or years - sabbatical. To me what is important is God's command to rest from our labour and spend time in His company. The resting is more important that the day on which we do it. Is Sunday, with its dashing around to get the kids to church on time and a meal ready after the service really a rest, specially for the pastor or vicar? Our human bodies are designed to need periods of rest and relaxation but I think the day we choose is for personal choice. But I'm not saying that Sunday worship is not important.
Sabbath is the seventh day, not just means the seventh..

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sabbath is the seventh day, not just means the seventh..
So if your working week starts on a Wednesday then your sabbath would be Tuesday. Mine used to be a Thursday. One day in seven. One year in seven = sabbatical.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Six days God did all his work and he created the seventh day to rest in it.
While Jesus walked the earth, everyday was a work day because he was doing his father's will even on the sabbaths.
The day Jesus was crucified he said "It is finished" and he was in the tomb on the sabbath..... resting.
When Jesus rose on the first day... it was a new day and He sent his spirit to keep working everyday until we all enter the tomb.
But there are some who have already died with Christ, died to the flesh, died to the works of the world.
And now those who died with him, live by him. And we no longer do the works that we would do, but we do the works he works through us.
So Paul says:
Gal 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

We, the ones who died with Christ have entered into his rest. In exchange, he is now working through us.
So there is no one day a week that Jesus doesn't work. But we who have died with him no longer do the works of the flesh that we did before we died with him.
And what works is Paul talking about? The works of the flesh. And what are these?

Gal 5:19
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

And the works that Christ does do through us everyday is this:
Gal 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26
Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

So what is vain glory?
I do it this way or I do it that way, therefore I'm right and your wrong, or I'm better than you.
Everybody trying to get an award for something they no longer supposed be doing because your dead.
You have entered into rest. Done. Your work is over.
Now Jesus works through you. And he never stops working for us.

Think about it..
Hugs

• Love
Reactions: Pearl