Sabbath or Sunday? What did Jesus teach & show in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a response to barney and his question to me relating to his misunderstanding of when the NT actually began

I'd actually rather have an answer to my questions than a reading review assignment, if it's not too much trouble.

What makes you comfortable telling other people that I don't understand covenants and testaments?

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd actually rather have an answer to my questions than a reading review assignment, if it's not too much trouble.

What makes you comfortable telling other people that I don't understand covenants and testaments?

The truth is comfortable to me. The old covenant was in effect until Jesus death, so the gospel records which chronicled his life and teachings while he was alive, was primarily old covenant. The actual NT or covenant didn't start with Matthew, the actual NT started at Jesus's death. You asked the question, I provided the biblical answer.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny how NONE of his writings tell Christians to observe Saturday sabbath! View attachment 38960

That's what is so funny about these claims that Christians must keep the law, or in this case a select part of the law of Moses.

So WHY do you think the Lord never gave Christians the commandment to keep Saturday sabbath?

Think He was getting forgetful in His old age and just forgot? Did the Lord instruct New Testament writers to put the command in their writings and they refused to do so?

And if you support keeping this point of the law of Moses, why is it you don't support keeping all the law of Moses and be like the Galatians who fell from grace because they quit following Jesus so they could go back to the law of Moses and work for their salvation?

Also, in your view... Christians who don't keep Saturday sabbath lose their salvation right?
They gonna burn in hell for not observing Saturday sabbath???
I'm not in the business of Judging just the word of God. Again Peter says in 1 Peter 2: 21For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: 22 who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

Let’s take a look and see what Jesus did when he came in the flesh, And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. (Luke 4:14-16)

Jesus made it clear that the seventh day was made for mankind. (Mark 2:27-28) (v.27) And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: Do we understand that, the Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath. (v.28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath. The Son of man (Jesus) is the Lord God of the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday).

Remember that it was Christ: (1Peter:2: 22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Jesus did no sin. But what is sin? (1John:3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. So every time you break (transgress) one of God’s commandments you have committed sin. And one of those commandments is to: (Ex.20:8) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. That’s why Jesus went to church on the seventh day; it is a sin to say that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath, because it is not Christ like! Just like it’s a sin to steal, kill, and commit adultery and so-forth. This is the day He would naturally have observed, because He originally made the Sabbath by resting and ordained that it be kept holy from that time forward.

Jesus says in John 12: 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Let's understand this, because The lord have not changed his ways. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed (Malachi 3:6) or Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth is comfortable to me. The old covenant was in effect until Jesus death, so the gospel records which chronicled his life and teachings while he was alive, was primarily old covenant. The actual NT or covenant didn't start with Matthew, the actual NT started at Jesus's death. You asked the question, I provided the biblical answer.

Actually, what you provided is your own misunderstanding. There is only one covenant that has ever saved anyone—the new or Everlasting covenant, brought to you by the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, what you provided is your own misunderstanding. There is only one covenant that has ever saved anyone—the new or Everlasting covenant, brought to you by the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

So there is no old covenant and new covenant as the bible states? Now you're just spewing nonsense.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there is no old covenant and new covenant as the bible states? Now you're just spewing nonsense.

No, you're just having a bit of trouble with reading comprehension. The old covenant never saved anyone.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're just having a bit of trouble with reading comprehension. The old covenant never saved anyone.

You're off on a different tangent now.

You're off on a different tangent now as has gone this exchange. We've gone from just the covenants and their effectivity points to salvation, and have strayed far from the OP subject which should take the respective covenants into consideration in order to properly address the OP subject. Good place to end this exchange.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Probably because you Saturday sabbath people claim observing Saturday sabbath is required for salvation... which is not taught in the New Covenant.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is THE END of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth

Paul feared for New Testament believers who counted days important: “But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain” (Galatians 4:9-11).

Paul was afraid for the eternal souls of those who went back under law, putting emphasis on days, months, years (Galatians 4:9-11).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're off on a different tangent now.

You're off on a different tangent now as has gone this exchange. We've gone from just the covenants and their effectivity points to salvation, and have strayed far from the OP subject which should take the respective covenants into consideration in order to properly address the OP subject. Good place to end this exchange.

The words "covenant" and "testament" are virtually interchangeable in the Bible. You're dodging.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Probably because you Saturday sabbath people claim observing Saturday sabbath is required for salvation... which is not taught in the New Covenant.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is THE END of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth

Paul feared for New Testament believers who counted days important: “But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain” (Galatians 4:9-11).

Paul was afraid for the eternal souls of those who went back under law, putting emphasis on days, months, years (Galatians 4:9-11).

The law never created righteousness; it only described it.

O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! (Deuteronomy 5:29)

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And... so far the house of Israel has rejected the operation of the Holy Ghost.

But, it's good to see more of the Jewish people getting born again these days... and sad that the nation as a whole still rejects Jesus