Sabbath or Sunday? What did Jesus teach & show in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cannot trust the traditions of men on the Sabbath vs. Sunday issue, for this is not safe, nor in just mere human opinions. Instead we need to know what scripture actually says, and above all, what Jesus Christ Himself taught, so we accept His teaching as our final authority.

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator. Jesus said, “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8. By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He is the Creator, who from the beginning created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Ephesians 3:9
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

And of Jesus..
John 1:10
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Holy...
Exodus 20:11
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Even before the tablets of stone at Mt Sinai....
Exodus 16:23
And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on Saturday, the "seventh day of the week", while Sunday is "the first day of the week". Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is Lord even of the "Sabbath day"...
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Jesus Christ never mentioned "the first day of the week" nor taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continued long after the cross and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles, as it clearly show. There is no biblical authorization for the change of the Bible Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. God made the Sabbath at the beginning of the world before any Jews existed, to be a blessing to all mankind. And even more importantly, it is a special sign that Jesus Christ is the true Creator of heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath.

When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law. The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...
Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.
Matthew 12:1-13
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

The New Testament alone mentions the Sabbath day no less than 84 times and never once is there a change of the Sabbath day to any other, nor was it abolished.

Jesus Christ said to keep the commandments:
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19:16-17

Jesus never said that the Sabbath would change even after His death:
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matthew 24:20.

Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D, which was 40 years after the Cross. He kept the seventh day as the Sabbath from Creation and in His life on earth, and Christ says that if we love Him, to keep the Commandments.
The Sabbath is a special day to focus on Jesus Christ our Maker: Jesus is “the Lord” who made the world in six days, and “rested on the seventh day.” Thus the Sabbath is a special day to focus on the Jesus Christ as the Creator of all things..

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We cannot trust the traditions of men on the Sabbath vs. Sunday issue, for this is not safe, nor in just mere human opinions. Instead we need to know what scripture actually says, and above all, what Jesus Christ Himself taught, so we accept His teaching as our final authority.

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day” as the Creator. Jesus said, “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8. By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus of was showing that He is the Creator, who from the beginning created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Ephesians 3:9
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
And of Jesus..
John 1:10
He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Colossians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.

Mark 2:27
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Holy...
Exodus 20:11
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Even before the tablets of stone at Mt Sinai....
Exodus 16:23
And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on Saturday, the "seventh day of the week", while Sunday is "the first day of the week". Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is Lord even of the "Sabbath day"...
Matthew 12:8
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Jesus Christ never mentioned "the first day of the week" nor taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continued long after the cross and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles, as it clearly show. There is no biblical authorization for the change of the Bible Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. God made the Sabbath at the beginning of the world before any Jews existed, to be a blessing to all mankind. And even more importantly, it is a special sign that Jesus Christ is the true Creator of heaven and earth and Lord of the Sabbath.

When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law. The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...
Genesis 26:5
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.
Matthew 12:1-13
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.

The New Testament alone mentions the Sabbath day no less than 84 times and never once is there a change of the Sabbath day to any other, nor was it abolished.

Jesus Christ said to keep the commandments:
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19:16-17

Jesus never said that the Sabbath would change even after His death:
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matthew 24:20.

Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D, which was 40 years after the Cross. He kept the seventh day as the Sabbath from Creation and in His life on earth, and Christ says that if we love Him, to keep the Commandments.
The Sabbath is a special day to focus on Jesus Christ our Maker: Jesus is “the Lord” who made the world in six days, and “rested on the seventh day.” Thus the Sabbath is a special day to focus on the Jesus Christ as the Creator of all things..
Sorry, but nowhere does the church teach to observe Saturday! The Sabbath was a sign and covenant for Israel alone!

The ten commandments were part and parcel of the 613 Mosaic Laws as they are called.

And lest you forget Paul clearly says that the commandments written on stone are a ministry fo death and not life!

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but nowhere does the church teach to observe Saturday! The Sabbath was a sign and covenant for Israel alone!
Hebrews 4 extends Sabbath rest to the New Testament.

Now, rest isn't observance. The original commandment was about rest, too. It was the Pharisees that turned a rest day into a day of labors.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath or Sunday? What did Jesus teach & show in scripture?

Rom 14:
[5] One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Reactions: Ziggy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sabbath means a seventh. So one out of seven. Days, weeks, months or years - sabbatical. To me what is important is God's command to rest from our labour and spend time in His company. The resting is more important that the day on which we do it. Is Sunday, with its dashing around to get the kids to church on time and a meal ready after the service really a rest, specially for the pastor or vicar? Our human bodies are designed to need periods of rest and relaxation but I think the day we choose is for personal choice. But I'm not saying that Sunday worship is not important.

Reactions: RedFan

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The ten commandments were part and parcel of the 613 Mosaic Laws as they are called.

And lest you forget Paul clearly says that the commandments written on stone are a ministry fo death and not life!
God's Word teaches it, what man teaches is not the church.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Now, rest isn't observance. The original commandment was about rest, too. It was the Pharisees that turned a rest day into a day of labors.
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly sabbath" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible.

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons - Sermon Index

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (NASB) Notice that the Greek word "sabbatismos" here is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly sabbath" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible.
Not really much of a stretch considering verse 4...

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Anyway, don't lump me in with the Sabbatarians. My position is that Moses gave us one weekend day, and Jesus gave us a 2nd one. :Happy:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And if you read it in context, it is about ceasing from our own labors to attain righteousness.

Hebrews 4

King James Version

4 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

If this rest is speaking of a particular day of the week, then all the exhortations here are foolish, for every week we would be able to enter into that day of rest.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Word teaches it, what man teaches is not the church.
Gods word also teaches to take your rebellious child out of the city and stone HIm. Do you?

But the church has no ordained Sabbath Day as god commanded Israel to observ e and still requires them to.

12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

It is a sign between God and the children of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Period. The church may or may not keep Saturday of they choose.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you read it in context, it is about ceasing from our own labors to attain righteousness.
I see the part about ceasing labors. I don't see anything about attaining righteousness?

The context seems to stretch back into chapter 3, where it's talking about the Israelites in the Wilderness not entering the land because of unbelief, and there's a quotation from Psalms 95. Am I missing something?

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ug. I wrote this piece a year ago, after encountering many such posts in the past made my members of a particular church.

1) Sunday is "the Lord's Day" (colloquially speaking), because this has been the unanimous testimony of Christianity for nearly 2000 years, that Christ rose from the dead on the day after the Sabath, aka Sunday. And this fact is further confirmed by a few passages in the New Testament itself, speaking of the worship on the Lord's Day an idiom unique to this day, and not used to describe the Jewish Sabbath.

2) Not only is the following true but it is foreshadowed in Scripture in Old Testament passages regarding the 8th day and Pentecost in Judaism, where the 8th day especially is symbolic of new beginnings (use link or copy and paste the following reference into a search engine for more info).
Parasha Shemini (Eighth): New Beginnings | Messianic Bible

3) Groups that preach or have preached against Sunday as "The day of the Beast", "coming from paganism" etc. do so wrongly. Those claims were made by people who did not study Church history etc. and are wrong and ignorant of the facts. I actually believe they qualify as false witness according to the Biblical definition.

4A) Groups that proclaim point 3 as part of a Revelation I believe do so based on the Spirit of anti-Christ. 1 John 4:1 tells us to test the Spirits and to reject one's that contradict the Received Faith, in the case of that passage it was the Docetic message that Jesus did not come in bodily form. Groups that preach point 3 likewise contradict the unanimous testimony of the Church for the last 2000 years. As one person I read phrased it they take something that is or should be received with joy and make it Demonic! Is this not the very work of the Spirit of the Antichrist? I think it is when you compare it similar statements Jesus said against the Pharisees.

4B) The above point is not just metaphorically true, but even literally true. In studying the historic/traditional doctrines of X from her writings you get into many quotes where the Theology being preached is not orthodox Christian Trinitarian but quotes implying numerous heretical understandings and teachings concerning the nature of the Trinity etc.

5) Extra Points from Scripture
Groups that preach on point 3) are ignorant of other points of doctrine most notably things like the original context of “Binding and Loosening” in the Great Commission and it’s original Jewish Context.

BINDING AND LOOSING - JewishEncyclopedia.com

They also do not seem to appreciate the Conciliar nature of the Church, in passages like Acts 15. Or even other considerations that would affect the ancient Christians in their pattern of worship (meeting together as One Body in Christ) etc.

6) Groups that do point 3) have their own unique doctrines that come via Revelations that are not orthodox and are new innovations.

7) The leaders of these groups are unaccountable and have other questionable problems from scripture especially concerning meeting the qualifications of "being a prophet", as well as a teacher in the Church according to the words of saint Paul in his epistles.
a) Prophesying things that don't come to pass is disqualifying
b) Head Covering while prophesying never seen a picture of X have her hair covered in church!
c) The ministry of women in the Church according to saint Paul is very limited when it comes to public ministry and worship.

8 ) Groups that preach point 3 work against the Biblical concept of Shalom. They attempt to undermine a person’s Faith in order to proselytize them towards their sect. They do their very best to instill anxiety into their victims!

9) They are the very essence of “Wolves in Sheep’s” clothing that the Bible warns us of. They do so in two ways

A) posing as Christian brothers who then use a Bait and Switch tactic for point 8.

B) the Biblical term “Wolf in Sheep’s clothing” is an allusion to the prophetic mantel of the prophet that was from sheep’s skin. These people get their teaching from a “prophet” who claimed Revelations from God.

10) Back to point 1) (Sunday as Lord's Day)

A) The fact we are called to be witnesses of Christ is a big one. That is where we get the term martyr from one who suffers or dies for Christ. But this is a also a reminder of the Apostolic preaching and teaching around this.

B) The history of why Gospels came into existence. The Gospel of Matthew came, for instance into existence (according to Papias) when the apostles were leaving Jerusalem, they did so to leave behind a permeant witness, since they left that city because persecution was becoming to much and forced them to relocate. Until this time, the Christian message came purely by preaching to the local area!

Bonus point 11
Ignorance of Biblical idiom, like trying to make "The Lord' Day a eupemism for the Sabbath, when the Bible uses terms like rest and sleep in reference to death and the grave, as well as the Sabath. If Christ had been raised on the Saturday it would go against an established Biblical theme of receiving new life and being a new creation! Besides this you have other Biblical themes like the New Wine Skin, and believers and the Church being a new creation etc. as mentioned on the point about the 8th day and Pentecost.

To this I will add a point 12, concerning certain Seventh Day Adventists using the line "Who authorized Sunday worship?". Folks making this contention are ignorant of the history of worship in Judaism. Namely lots of formerly unauthorized stuff went on, just because something is not instituted with a booming heavenly voice does not mean that is is not something God supports (God in His Providence caused it or allowed it to fulfill His greater Purposes). The Holidays of Purim and Hannukah exemplify this. God never formally authorized that Jews should worship at the Synagogue on the Sabbath, yet they invented the Synagogue and used it as a means to worship God during the Babylonian exile, a practice that became an official part of their official total worship practice.

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote this piece a year ago, after encountering many such posts in the past made my members of a particular church.
You're telling him that this is a re-post that doesn't actually address him... you might as well tell him not to read it.

Pavel Mosko

Dec 19, 2021
Boyertown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're telling him that this is a re-post that doesn't actually address him... you might as well tell him not to read it.
This has not been my experience talking on previous message boards and Facebook groups. For people like you sure, but not for folks who make this cause the reason for their existence.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see the part about ceasing labors. I don't see anything about attaining righteousness?

The context seems to stretch back into chapter 3, where it's talking about the Israelites in the Wilderness not entering the land because of unbelief, and there's a quotation from Psalms 95. Am I missing something?
Yeah, the context that this sabbath is not about a day, but a way of life

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really much of a stretch considering verse 4...

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Anyway, don't lump me in with the Sabbatarians. My position is that Moses gave us one weekend day, and Jesus gave us a 2nd one. :Happy:
I don't think you mean Sunday?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean Domingo, the Lord's Day.

I guess it technically isn't a day of rest, like the day before it. But it is a day where the church comes together, and while this was mostly to transact business in the early days of the church, that really doesn't happen so much anymore, and we're basically left with a 2nd day of not working. (I'm very ok with this arrangement).

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me it IS Sunday, along with Monday, Tuesday ,Wednesday ,Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, that I can and do worship the One who shed His blood for me.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. But what was meant by that?

Gen 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

And the Jews celebrated the sabbath by stopping all work whatsoever... by even stopping food preparations.. stopping milking the cows.. stopping everything .

Hobie, How did EGW suggest the Sabbath to be honored? Friday night 6PM to Saturday night 6PM Or Saturday midnight to Midnight?

Funny but there is not much said about what they did in Ancient Israel about

Keeping the Sabbath in Ancient Israel​

Wiki notes this...

Shabbat - Wikipedia

Connection to Sabbath observance has been suggested in the designation of the seventh, fourteenth, nineteenth, twenty-first and twenty-eight days of a lunar month in an Assyrian religious calendar as a 'holy day', also called 'evil days' (meaning "unsuitable" for prohibited activities).

Britannica says ... Judaism - Sabbath, Shabbat, Holiness

The Sabbath

The Jewish Sabbath (from Hebrew shavat, “to rest”) is observed throughout the year on the seventh day of the week—Saturday. According to biblical tradition, it commemorates the original seventh day on which God rested after completing the creation.

Scholars have not succeeded in tracing the origin of the seven-day week, nor can they account for the origin of the Sabbath. A seven-day week does not accord well with either a solar or a lunar calendar. Some scholars, pointing to the Akkadian term shapattu, suggest a Babylonian origin for the seven-day week and the Sabbath. But shapattu, which refers to the day of the full moon and is nowhere described as a day of rest, has little in common with the Jewish Sabbath. It appears that the notion of the Sabbath as a holy day of rest, linking God to his people and recurring every seventh day, was unique to ancient Israel.

Importance​

The central significance of the Sabbath for Judaism is reflected in the traditional commentative and interpretative literature called Talmud and Midrash (e.g., “if you wish to destroy the Jewish people, abolish their Sabbath first”) and in numerous legends and adages from more-recent literature (e.g., “more than Israel kept the Sabbath, the Sabbath kept Israel”). Some of the basic teachings of Judaism affirmed by the Sabbath are God’s acts of creation, God’s role in history, and God’s covenant with Israel. Moreover, the Sabbath is the only Jewish holiday the observance of which is enjoined by the Ten Commandments. Jews are obligated to sanctify the Sabbath at home and in the synagogue by observing the Sabbath laws and engaging in worship and study. The leisure hours afforded by the ban against work on the Sabbath were put to good use by the rabbis, who used them to promote intellectual activity and spiritual regeneration among Jews. Other days of rest, such as the Christian Sunday and the Islamic Friday, owe their origins to the Jewish Sabbath.

This is from an 7th Day Adventist Article...

Keeping the Sabbath in Ancient Israel​

Did all the Israelites come to the temple during the Sabbath to worship the Lord? The short answer to your question is “no.” Perhaps the next question is: what then did the Israelites do for worship during the Sabbath? The question is difficult to answer, and this has led some to conclude that the Sabbath was only a day of rest.
APRIL 30, 2020

It does further suggest~ " It is probable that during the Sabbath Israel’s extended families would gather to pray and be instructed by the head of the family.

Then ask yourself this.

We come together in church or homes or even forums to worship, study and learn about Christ Jesus. At least I do.

Which is seemingly more appropriate? To worship a messiah who for all intents and purposes
as far as the believers at that time knew was crucified, dead and buried, period.... on that Friday to Saturday sabbath, or Saturday as appropriate for the start of weekly adorations....

OR
when definitively the believers of the day knew He was Risen and He was with God the Father in Heaven WHICH WAS THE START OF OUR BELIEFS AND THE CONFIRMATION OF WHAT HAD BEEN TAUGHT.

Saturday to me is worshipping a corpse and Sunday is worshipping the reason we all have hope.

So, tomorrow I look forward to relaxing and resting... and Sunday we will be celebrating Holy Communion.....

And as an aside. When we die and are finally in our heavenly home.. if you should run into EGW, would you please tell her I would like to have a conversation with her... all friendly I promise... you can come too.

One last question.

Hobie, Do &th Day Adventists acknowledge Easter? When?