Salvation and repentance

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me the role repentance plays in salvation and if it is necessary to ensure salvation is maintained. I just want to be sure I am truly saved and have seen much misinformation that contradicts my understanding of salvation as by grace through faith alone.

Thanks in advance. All views welcome.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continuing to purposely live in your old life of sin after getting saved is a rejection of Christ. It's nothing more than unbelief.

"If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume all adversaries." Hebrews 10:26-27​

It's the unbelief associated with purposely going back to your life of sin that causes you to be condemned by your sin. It has nothing to do with earning your salvation through works.

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continuing to purposely live in your old life of sin after getting saved is a rejection of Christ. It's nothing more than unbelief.

"If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume all adversaries." Hebrews 10:26-27​

It's the unbelief associated with remaining in your sin that causes you to be condemned by your sin. It has nothing to do with earning your salvation through works.
But does not every follower continue to sin, at least in some way or another, even after becoming a follower of Christ? Your posts seems to imply that one stops being a sinner or engaging in sinful behavior after believing in Christ. I of course do my best to avoid sin but I will always fall short no matter my best efforts. Seems like an unattainable standard doomed to fail.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
repentance plays in salvation and if it is necessary to ensure salvation is maintained.

There is no "maintaining" of salvation. Once a person acknowledges and accepts Christ's sacrifice by acknowledging he is a sinner and only worthy of damnation- the sins are forgiven and the believer is given the HS as a seal and is written in the Book of Life. ( a new beginning, reborn)

Much of this is semantics fueled by various church dogmas and so forth but is easily seen with a legitimate reading of Scripture.

Some people have difficulty understanding this but don't realize that Salvation is unseen to all but the Lord.

Many profess "salvation" but are not. Many have a "false salvation" and also are not. ( they believe a lie)

A converted believer sins ( falls short) but as with repentance 9 the changed mind and decision)- the "process' of growth and sinning "less' begins.

There are some sins a human cannot "undo" (murder), some that may not be realized are sins and some chronic sins a true believer simply cannot shake. They are all covered by the sacrifice of Jesus and forever when the Salvation is LEGITIMATE in the first place.

Sins ( depending on a number of factors) require acts of various atonement or even punishment.

That's all part of the process of salvation. The very short version.

Reactions: Jones12849

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the role repentance plays in salvation and if it is necessary to ensure salvation is maintained. I just want to be sure I am truly saved and have seen much misinformation that contradicts my understanding of salvation as by grace through faith alone.

Repentance and a repentant heart is the fruit of the Spirit when we are born again, the very first fruit that is visible to yourself and others. If there was never this fruit in your conversion, then you likely were not Born again. Like a New born we will continue to sin even after our rebirth but our changed repentant heart will not allow us to live in sin.... sin thus, over time loses its grip on us, and so long as we confess our sins to God He will forgive those sins. (1 John 1:9). When we stop producing the fruit of Repentance is when a reprobate mind begins to take over us, we Quench the Spirit, and fall away from the Truth, to the Point where we can lose the Blessings of God....At which time our body is given over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that the Spirit may be saved (1 Corinthians 5:5). Those who tell you that you need not Repent once you are saved are well on their way to being reprobates themselves.

Repentance again is not a work that keeps us saved, It is a fruit of the Spirit that shows us we are saved. Repentance leads to Holiness and Holy Living, It is the work of the Holy Spirit in us that sanctifies us from the inside out, as opposed to the outside only like religion does. When we are saved we receive instant sanctification, This cleansing from the inside out is progressive sanctification. As We Mature in Christ Sin and our sinful desires are replaced by desires to serve and please God. Thus we overcome Evil with Good. None of these are our works, but the work of the Holy Spirit in us, the more we yield to Him the more we grow in faith, when we sin we fall back in unbelief.... The root of all sin being unbelief.

Hope this helps. God Bless

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repentance and a repentant heart is the fruit of the Spirit when we are born again, the very first fruit that is visible to yourself and others. If there was never this fruit in your conversion, then you likely were not Born again. Like a New born we will continue to sin even after our rebirth but our changed repentant heart will not allow us to live in sin.... sin thus, over time loses its grip on us, and so long as we confess our sins to God He will forgive those sins. (1 John 1:9). When we stop producing the fruit of Repentance is when a reprobate mind begins to take over us, we Quench the Spirit, and fall away from the Truth, to the Point where we can lose the Blessings of God....At which time our body is given over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh so that the Spirit may be saved (1 Corinthians 5:5). Those who tell you that you need not Repent once you are saved are well on their way to being reprobates themselves.

Repentance again is not a work that keeps us saved, It is a fruit of the Spirit that shows us we are saved. Repentance leads to Holiness and Holy Living, It is the work of the Holy Spirit in us that sanctifies us from the inside out, as opposed to the outside only like religion does. When we are saved we receive instant sanctification, This cleansing from the inside out is progressive sanctification. As We Mature in Christ Sin and our sinful desires are replaced by desires to serve and please God. Thus we overcome Evil with Good. None of these are our works, but the work of the Holy Spirit in us, the more we yield to Him the more we grow in faith, when we sin we fall back in unbelief.... The root of all sin being unbelief.

Hope this helps. God Bless
Thanks for your comment. I guess I am just wondering should I be worrying that every word I say or action I take is a sin? Because that is where I am at and it is simply exhausting and I don't see my brothers and sisters in Christ experiencing the same level of distress that I experience worrying that I have sinned, that I should repent, and whether I have truly repented properly. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks again.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But does not every follower continue to sin, at least in some way or another, even after becoming a follower of Christ? Your posts seems to imply that one stops being a sinner or engaging in sinful behavior after believing in Christ. I of course do my best to avoid sin but I will always fall short no matter my best efforts. Seems like an unattainable standard doomed to fail.
Yes, we will probably continue to sin after we are saved. It is the person who PURPOSELY seeks out his old life of sin that is in unbelief and will be condemned at the return of Christ. The person who goes back to his old life of sin does not have Christ's sacrifice to protect him from the coming wrath of God because he doesn't believe in it anymore. The return to his willful, unrepentant life of sin is the evidence of his return to unbelief.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your comment. I guess I am just wondering should I be worrying that every word I say or action I take is a sin? Because that is where I am at and it is simply exhausting and I don't see my brothers and sisters in Christ experiencing the same level of distress that I experience worrying that I have sinned, that I should repent, and whether I have truly repented properly. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks again.
You should be concerned about not sinning and deal with it the way the Lord has ordained that we deal with it. But as long as you continue to believe and trust in the blood of Christ to forgive your sin you do not have to worry about your sin condemning you to destruction at the return of Christ.

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we will probably continue to sin after we are saved. It is the person who PURPOSELY seeks out his old life of sin that is in unbelief and will be condemned at the return of Christ. The person who goes back to his old life of sin does not have Christ's sacrifice to protect him from the coming wrath of God because he doesn't believe in it anymore. The return to his willful, unrepentant life of sin is the evidence of his return to unbelief.
I find it hard to believe every person doesn't willfully sin at some point in their life even after becoming a follower of Christ. I also think one can willfully sin and be repentant after. I don't think sin is evidence of unbelief because it would mean literally no one is a believer.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is your heart?

If your heart is one that’s soft, and you distort to repent, then let’s not worry about the “oh I screwed told a white lie 2 minutes before dying and didn’t have time to tell God I’m sorry!” He already knows that: he knows where your heart is.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it hard to believe every person doesn't willfully sin at some point in their life even after becoming a follower of Christ. I also think one can willfully sin and be repentant after. I don't think sin is evidence of unbelief because it would mean literally no one is a believer.

They do- every day. That just proves our fallen nature and the spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak. Paul regarded himself as the 'chief of sinners" (present tense)

There are some denominations, dogmas and beliefs out there that just cant stand that somewhere someone might actually "get away with one" so they in their own ignorance/arrogance attempt to weaponize scripture and beat people with it.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are Born in sin and every motive of our heart is wicked to begin with. When We are born again that begins to change as the fruit of repentance manifests. Some people when they are saved take a big step away from that wickedness, because they were further in sin in their life, others such as those brought up in religious backgrounds this change can seem like a move towards lawlessness, but in fact it is a repentance from their Spiritual pride. Many a former cult member will experience the latter upon conversion.

I do not Know what your particular background is, But from what you are saying you have a repentant heart as sin bothers you. What You need to learn is the doctrine of rest. Lay Your burden down at the cross that you are bearing, and surrender to the work of the Holy Ghost in your life.... Stop trying yourself and let Him do the work in you. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you, He is the author of your faith let Him be the finisher of your faith. The More you try and stop sinning of your own strength and will, the more you will fail, But when you in brokeness come to Him and say "i can't", It is then that He will do His work in you. It is almost counterintuitive, But once you understand this you will see the victory and overcoming of sin in your life, and all you can do is glorify the one who does the work in you and not boast in your own work and fall into religious pride.

God bless.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not talking about one purposeful sin. I'm talking about a conscious decision to go back to your old life of sin just like before you were saved, willingly. That is a rejection of the blood of Christ. You can't have the benefit of the blood of Christ when you do not believe in it. Going back to your old life, purposely and willingly, is a person no longer wanting or caring about the blood of Christ. They have no sacrifice to protect them from the penalty of that return to a sinful life.

It's important that Christians understand the difference between a believer's struggle with sin, and the willful sin of an unbeliever. The believer is protected by the blood of Christ in his struggle with sin. The unbeliever is NOT protected by the blood in his willful return to his lifestyle of sin.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

Hi Jones12849,

• Scripture links repentance and salvation.

2Co 7:8-12 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. (9) Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. (10) For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. (11) For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter. (12) Therefore, although I wrote to you, I did not do it for the sake of him who had done the wrong, nor for the sake of him who suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear to you.

• Scripture states that repentance from dead works is a fundamental principle.

Heb 6:1-3 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, (2) of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. (3) And this we will do if God permits.

• Scripture teaches that repentance is required to maintain sanctification, and sanctification is evidence of salvation.
Heb 6:4-12 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, (5) and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, (6) if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. (7) For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; (8) but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned. (9) But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner. (10) For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. (11) And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, (12) that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

• The Letters of Revelation illustrate that the principle of repentance from dead works continues to apply after conversion.

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.
Rev 2:16 Repent, or else I will come to you quickly and will fight against them with the sword of My mouth.
Rev 2:21 And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent.
Rev 2:22 Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.
Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Jones12849

Jun 23, 2021
Montgomery Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are Born in sin and every motive of our heart is wicked to begin with. When We are born again that begins to change as the fruit of repentance manifests. Some people when they are saved take a big step away from that wickedness, because they were further in sin in their life, others such as those brought up in religious backgrounds this change can seem like a move towards lawlessness, but in fact it is a repentance from their Spiritual pride. Many a former cult member will experience the latter upon conversion.

I do not Know what your particular background is, But from what you are saying you have a repentant heart as sin bothers you. What You need to learn is the doctrine of rest. Lay Your burden down at the cross that you are bearing, and surrender to the work of the Holy Ghost in your life.... Stop trying yourself and let Him do the work in you. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you, He is the author of your faith let Him be the finisher of your faith. The More you try and stop sinning of your own strength and will, the more you will fail, But when you in brokeness come to Him and say "i can't", It is then that He will do His work in you. It is almost counterintuitive, But once you understand this you will see the victory and overcoming of sin in your life, and all you can do is glorify the one who does the work in you and not boast in your own work and fall into religious pride.

God bless.
Thank you so much for your comment. I can't tell you the peace it brought me. Bless you.

Reactions: David H.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at what Paul actually says in Eph. 2 is critical to understanding what the Bible teaches about the process of being saved:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." - Eph. 2:8-9

If you closely look at what Paul says there, he never uses the word "alone". False teachers like Martin Luther and most of his Reformer cohorts inserted that word in their theology when discussing that passage as a means to teach grace as replacing repentance and obedience. God's grace can only impute His righteousness to someone when they repent with faith in Christ's sacrifice.

And yes, contrary to what Romanists say, a person does have to maintain their salvation:

"And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight—if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister." - Col. 1:23

"For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end," - Heb. 3:14

“And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved." - Matt. 24:13-14

““I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned."- Jhn 15:6

“Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown." - Rev. 311

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

LOL I would say if you are truly concerned you are the right track. I have discussed this in other threads but the first thing you have to do is find out what really is a sin so you do not waste time worrying about fake sins. And yes we will sin from time to time... repent... ask forgiveness...done deal. It is the Lifestyle sins that will get you because you cannot repent what you intend to keep doing. Other than that, salvation is secure and certain. Yahweh had to give His Son to make all this work. A plan made by a God, odds are good it will have a high success rate.

How Were YOU Taught To Overcome Sin?

Last edited:

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Hi all,

Yes repentance is the key , as you can do so as many times as you need to , but remember God know's your heart and yu can't con Him.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

When we sin, we get ourselves into trouble. The Lord saves us from our mistakes (sin), but he expects us to learn from our mistakes.