Satan - a bitter, jealous adversary of Job

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Job 6:4 The arrows of the Almighty are within me.

Again no reference to the adversary though Job sees his trials as coming from God.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
at least in the beginning of the Book, yes. He knows by the end though

Yes at the end he knows whoever was envious of Jobs prosperity it was God alone who brought evil upon Job - Job 42:11.

Here it is...

and comforted him concerning all the evil that Jehovah had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one a ring of gold.

We might conclude those who were jealous of Jobs honour and prosperity were taught Gods son was righteous and a redeemer of men.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Job 1:21
The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away.
Job 2:10

The next piece of evidence is Job being totally oblivious to this demonic creature - not once does he know the nature of his adversary.

Job knows the truth that God alone gives and takes away.

No lament toward his adversary - often like Cain and Abel they do not know.
I would think here that these people past had very different concepts of what adversary was. I mean how does one take a talking snake and magical fruit that makes you die literal.

I don't take it literally, I take it as an ancient parable that teaches me that thinking good or evil ends in death.

Reactions: bbyrd009

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Job 6:4 The arrows of the Almighty are within me.

Again no reference to the adversary though Job sees his trials as coming from God.
God will dish out a negative on you if you continue to live in positive land.

It was all good for Job as he thought, but he was wrong.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God will dish out a negative on you if you continue to live in positive land.

It was all good for Job as he thought, but he was wrong.

Job 10:8

Your hands made me yet You would destroy me.

You look for something within the book, surely jobs friends advising him it's this demonic being, even a single word - some hint that God is a defender of those attacked by this Satan but no.

Last edited:

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Job 10:8

Your hands made me yet You would destroy me.

You look for something within the book of jobs friends advising him it's this demonic being surely a single word - some hint that God is a defender of those arracked by this Satan but no.
No my friend you are right in what you've discovered, but you need to look at this at a different angle.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Here it is...

and comforted him concerning all the evil that Jehovah had brought upon him
i would consider that a turn of phrase, and don't take that literally; otherwise God is capricious, and "you reap what you sow" is a lie. Job did confess to his sin, after all. twice

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all . interesting topic and discussion. #1. the devil or Satan is only a instrument of God, and in this case with the book of Job he was not to test Job, but God himself to reprove Job in order to IMPROVE Job. the mention of satan in the couple of Chapter is to set the stage of Good and Evil as was in the garden. God knew Job, but Job did not know God fully, (he only heard of him), hence the improvement, to fully know. Job was a son of God, and keep his feast days. also he was in the spirit of intercessory prayer of other. but Job was lacking a few thing which God, for his glory and Job's edification received. just as today, he, God is the author and finisher of our FAITH. God didn't test Job, the only test came from Job's friends. but friends indeed, who also was sons of God and was reproved, and improved. the book of Job tells us the adversary is defeated scriptures, Revelation 12:10 "And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night". to show this victory in Christ as was with Job in the end, John 8:10 & 11 "When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more". the sons of God have the victory in Christ Jesus. the book of Job is a foreshadow of things to come. just keep trusting God, the Lord Jesus, as our apostle Paul put it, Romans 8:38 & 39 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord". and the devil, Satan is a creature.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
GINOLJC, to all . interesting topic and discussion. #1. the devil or Satan is only a instrument of God, and in this case with the book of Job he was not to test Job, but God himself to reprove Job in order to IMPROVE Job. the mention of satan in the couple of Chapter is to set the stage of Good and Evil as was in the garden. God knew Job, but Job did not know God fully, (he only heard of him), hence the improvement, to fully know. Job was a son of God, and keep his feast days. also he was in the spirit of intercessory prayer of other. but Job was lacking a few thing which God, for his glory and Job's edification received. just as today, he, God is the author and finisher of our FAITH. God didn't test Job, the only test came from Job's friends. but friends indeed, who also was sons of God and was reproved, and improved. the book of Job tells us the adversary is defeated scriptures, Revelation 12:10 "And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night". to show this victory in Christ as was with Job in the end, John 8:10 & 11 "When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more". the sons of God have the victory in Christ Jesus. the book of Job is a foreshadow of things to come. just keep trusting God, the Lord Jesus, as our apostle Paul put it, Romans 8:38 & 39 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord". and the devil, Satan is a creature.
Not a bad post!

If only you could prove from Job the Satan (or adversary) is a supernatural evil Being. If you read your post again, one might suggest the adversaries were Job's friends.

Lets assume for a moment your Satan is a demonic evil creature....

1. Why would this creature only have concern for the materials things surrounding Job? God set's Job's character and rightesouness before the adversary (ies) but notice what the adversary focuses on?

Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

a.
Why would God think Satan would even care about one of His childrens righteousness? God has nothing to prove to a demonic being?
b. Why would the demonic being care about Job's earthly possessions? (Only Human's would - jealousy, envy etc!)
c. If Job is proved to faulter there is no victory for the adversary, as Job is still God's son.

The idea of a faniciful evil being wreaks of "mysticism" and "ancient mythology"...lets finally call it for what it is.

And please ALL no more quoting Revelation to prove your demonic beings existence - its a Dragon with similar symolbolism to the creatures in Dan 7 - no more please the ignorance is overwhelming - where in this forum has anyone ever tried pushing the idea Daniel 7's creatures are literal Beings? Why on earht would you do this to Revelation (face palm) If you are going to prove your demonic creature is real show us from Genesis! But already one believer has honestly said "the Satan is not there!"

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Adversary also came among them."

An Adversary of Job came among the sons of God with evil motives and intentions toward Job - No doubt like Cain toward Abel.

F2F

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If only you could prove from Job the Satan (or adversary) is a supernatural evil Being. If you read your post again, one might suggest the adversaries were Job's friends.

Lets assume for a moment your Satan is a demonic evil creature...
thanks, but let's not assume. too much of that going around. but I will say this. the devil is a spirit. scripture, Hebrews 1:7 "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire". and God uses "EVIL" angels, scriptures, Psalms 78:49 "He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them". there is nothing new under the sun.

be blessed.

Reactions: Helen and Job

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
thanks, but let's not assume. too much of that going around. but I will say this. the devil is a spirit. scripture, Hebrews 1:7 "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire". and God uses "EVIL" angels, scriptures, Psalms 78:49 "He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them". there is nothing new under the sun.

be blessed.

Miss translation...

"He let loose on them his burning anger, wrath, indignation, and distress, a company of destroying angels."

The translators note (tn) tn Heb “fury and indignation and trouble, a sending of messengers of disaster.”

Yes, God's Holy Angels make up His Heavenly Army - Always Pure & Holy.

Psalm 78:50 He sent HIS anger in full force; he did not spare them from death; he handed their lives over to destruction.

Again its nonsensical to suggest Holy God sending Evil Beings among his people.

After all there is no such thing as an Evil Angel.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again its nonsensical to suggest Holy God sending Evil Beings among his people.
2 Samuel 24:16 "And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The plot thickens when you read that satan presents himself before the Lord

In heaven?

Job 2:1 NIV
On another day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Samuel 24:16 "And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite.

Like it was said "an Evil being" - God and His angels are not evil beings though they can bring evil events upon people.

There is a distinction.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The plot thickens when you read that satan presents himself before the Lord

In heaven?

Job 2:1 NIV
On another day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him.

In a worship sense as before.