Saved by obeying the commandments?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was birthed in the Spirit ,once birthed, done deal...you can’t be un- birthed....all that the Father gives to the Son, they will NEVER lose their salvation....NEVER...my belief.....

John 6:39
Context Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.

New Living Translation
And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.

English Standard Version
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

Berean Standard Bible
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall lose none of those He has given Me, but raise them up at the last day.

Berean Literal Bible
Now this is the will of the One having sent Me, that all that He has given Me, I should lose none of it, but will raise it up in the last day.

King James Bible
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

New King James Version
This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was birthed in the Spirit ,once birthed, done deal...you can’t be un- birthed....all that the Father gives to the Son, they will NEVER lose their salvation....NEVER...my belief.....

John 6:39
Context Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.

New Living Translation
And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.

English Standard Version
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day.

Berean Standard Bible
And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall lose none of those He has given Me, but raise them up at the last day.

Berean Literal Bible
Now this is the will of the One having sent Me, that all that He has given Me, I should lose none of it, but will raise it up in the last day.

King James Bible
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

New King James Version
This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
My belief is the same but I'm concerned that I could lose my salvation. So we differ in our beliefs on that one point. But I like your beliefs, they sound pleasant.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My belief is the same but I'm concerned that I could lose my salvation. So we differ in our beliefs on that one point. But I like your beliefs, they sound pleasant.
Dev...when I first became born again...I too thought the Lord May leave my spirit...it’s a LIE my friend from the devils mouth....Praise God....His truth was revealed to my heart through his living word.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the thing--we cannot keep the commandments--Israel was always having to sacrifice to make things right with God, because without blood, there is no remission for sin. (Heb 9:22) So if a sacrifice was not done, the sin was not forgiven.
Jesus died for us as that sacrifice--ONCE. He paid it all.
Throughout His life, He magnified the meaning of the commandments--"if a man looketh upon a woman with lust, he has already committed adultery" He showed us that sin can reign on the inside, even if we go through the motions of being good outside.

If we ask for forgiveness, He will do it.That price has been paid. That is justification. Then He gives us a new heart, and we want to do His will. This is sanctification. But---If we stumble, we can repent.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dev...when I first became born again...I too thought the Lord May leave my spirit...it’s a LIE my friend from the devils mouth....Praise God....His truth was revealed to my heart through his living word.
Well I think in communion with the Spirit the Lord might have said I can be saved. But I would like to be careful and not upset him too much.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well I think in communion with the Spirit the Lord might have said I can be saved. But I would like to be careful and not upset him too much.
Brother....I wish you well and much peace, in learning the truth of God’s word.

We are all on that journey....God Bless You.....

He certainly knows our hearts.thats for sure.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Behold

Romans 8:27-29

Romans 8:27-29 TPT​

God, the searcher of the heart, knows fully our longings, yet he also understands the desires of the Spirit, because the Holy Spirit passionately pleads before God for us, his holy ones, in perfect harmony with God’s plan and our destiny. So we are convinced that every detail of our lives is continually woven together for good, for we are his lovers who have been called to fulfill his designed purpose. For he knew all about us before we were born and he destined us from the beginning to share the likeness of his Son. This means the Son is the oldest among a vast family of brothers and sisters who will become just like him.

Reactions: Jim B and dev553344

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

There are commandments of the Father, the Old Covenant, the Ten Commandments
And there are commandments of Jesus. They are not the same, 1 John 3:23-24
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
Jesus reiterates the five of the 10 commandments in Luke 18. He'd also taught that until Heaven and earth pass away not one jot or tittle shall pass from the law to all us fulfilled. There are still parts of the Messiah prophecy yet to be fulfilled.
God's laws are written on our hearts so we are not far from them. Something to think about for those who insist God's law no longer applies to Christians.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What was the sobering thought for me was the realization that I had already gone to church for 30 years! But not until 1977 was I born again. That means that most people in today's church may not be sasaved.
Maybe you were born again, God just enhanced your experience?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was the sobering thought for me was the realization that I had already gone to church for 30 years! But not until 1977 was I born again. That means that most people in today's church may not be saved.

Recently one forum member in the Calvinist group said that we are not saved by works of righteousness, so there is no need to repent or be obedient. See what I mean? I'm afraid for the Church and how many are truly ready as the Spotless Bride of Christ.
I don't think that it's correct to think that because you were born again in 1977 that "most people in today's church may not be saved". We don't know who has been saved and who hasn't.

John 3:14-16, “And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life."

So those who believe in Christ are born again into eternal life.

Reactions: Cassandra

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can only lose your salvation by willfully rejecting Jesus Christ and intentionally reverting back permanently to a sin-filled life.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus reiterates the five of the 10 commandments in Luke 18. He'd also taught that until Heaven and earth pass away not one jot or tittle shall pass from the law to all us fulfilled. There are still parts of the Messiah prophecy yet to be fulfilled.
God's laws are written on our hearts so we are not far from them. Something to think about for those who insist God's law no longer applies to Christians.
The Ten Commandments are still valid, but for sinners. Jesus takes away our desire to commit willful lawless sin, so we no longer need the Law to point out sin that isn't there. Get it?

What is written on our hearts are the laws of Jesus. Do them and you are not breaking any of the Ten Commandments, and even going beyond them establishing their deeper content. Understand?

• Love
Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments are still valid, but for sinners. Jesus takes away our desire to commit willful lawless sin, so we no longer need the Law to point out sin that isn't there. Get it?

What is written on our hearts are the laws of Jesus. Do them and you are not breaking any of the Ten Commandments, and even going beyond them establishing their deeper content. Understand?
Great, true post! Everyone should read it!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that it's correct to think that because you were born again in 1977 that "most people in today's church may not be saved". We don't know who has been saved and who hasn't.

John 3:14-16, “And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life."

So those who believe in Christ are born again into eternal life.
I wish it was as simple as that. But there are those who "believe" that just accepting who Jesus is as the Son of God and accepting Him as their Savior and freed from condemnation is enough. No! We must follow Him. And we can't with a sin nature. So we must repent and want to be freed from sin, not just hell. The first level of sin Jesus takes away is lawlessness. 1 John 3:4-5. But Matthew 7:21-23 shows that there are many Christians calling Him, "Lord" who still practice lawlessness, so obviously they never truly repented and been filled with the Spirit to be born again.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

Jim, because I can hear God's voice, I am always listening for His will. Or His meaning of a verse. Or what to write. Or what to delete. He has written His laws and His will on my heart to do them, and I obey. Always. I abide IN Him, and He abides IN me. We know each other.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish it was as simple as that. But there are those who "believe" that just accepting who Jesus is as the Son of God and accepting Him as their Savior and freed from condemnation is enough. No! We must follow Him. And we can't with a sin nature. So we must repent and want to be freed from sin, not just hell. The first level of sin Jesus takes away is lawlessness. 1 John 3:4-5. But Matthew 7:21-23 shows that there are many Christians calling Him, "Lord" who still practice lawlessness, so obviously they never truly repented and been filled with the Spirit to be born again.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’

Jim, because I can hear God's voice, I am always listening for His will. Or His meaning of a verse. Or what to write. Or what to delete. He has written His laws and His will on my heart to do them, and I obey. Always. I abide IN Him, and He abides IN me. We know each other.
I think that if anyone truly believes in Jesus as his/her personal Savior, they will follow Him. How could they not?

Regarding Ritajanice's post immediately above. if anyone heard his will and said no then. by definition. s/he is not a follower.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Behold

Romans 8:27-29

Romans 8:27-29 TPT​

God, the searcher of the heart, knows fully our longings, yet he also understands the desires of the Spirit, because the Holy Spirit passionately pleads before God for us, his holy ones, in perfect harmony with God’s plan and our destiny. So we are convinced that every detail of our lives is continually woven together for good, for we are his lovers who have been called to fulfill his designed purpose. For he knew all about us before we were born and he destined us from the beginning to share the likeness of his Son. This means the Son is the oldest among a vast family of brothers and sisters who will become just like him.

Hi Ritajanice and @Behold

I know you both are believers in OSAS. But I can't logically get past Matthew 7:21-23. Only someone who has been born again and filled with the Spirit (they go together) can cast out demons, prophecy and do miracles. Matthew is not talking about "fake" miracles, so how can they commit lawlessness if Jesus took it away, number one; and how can Jesus say I never knew you, you who practice lawlessness? This to me means that salvation is determined at the end, not the beginning. But then were are 1 John 3:4-5 that says Jesus takes away lawlessness - the sins unto death taking us to life. So did they pollute their clean nature like the warning of Hebrews 10:26-31? That to me would be "losing" your salvation. Do you see this as a warning, or not?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hi Ritajanice and @Behold

I know you both are believers in OSAS. But I can't logically get past Matthew 7:21-23.

OSAS, is a cult idea.. Its not created by a Beleiver.
It was created and used against Paul, when they who created it said...."you are teaching that we are to sin so that Grace will abound".

The most recent revision is..

OSAS or "license to sin".

So, its s TRICK of the DEVIL , this idea.. .and what it does is try to make you believe that if you Trust in Jesus to keep you saved, then you are believing you have a license to sin.
So, that idea causes the people it deceives to have a real issue with God's Grace.. and that is why the DEVIL created it.
That's its purpose. = To Subvert your faith in Christ, or as Jude teaches... teaching that Grace is Licentiousness, so that you'll be confused about GRACE, and stay confused.

Also the Will of God, is that "all will be saved".

1 Timothy 2:3-4

3This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,

4 who desires ALL people to be saved

Not the "pre-destined", but ALL people.

Or as Jesus said... "if i be lifted up (the Cross) i will draw ALL to me

or as John 3:16 teaches.... For God so love the World". That He gave Jesus.

To who?

THE WORLD.... that's ALL, in those other 2 verses.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
."you are teaching that we are to sin so that Grace will abound".

You know I don't believe that or teach that. I don't sin, or even believe in sinning "so grace may abound" so why accuse me of that?

You do believe and teach you can't lose your salvation. That seems like OSAS to me! The person in Matthew 7:21-23 was obviously filled with the Spirit, thus born again so how is he still practicing lawlessness and in the end Jesus does not accept him?

Address Matthew 7:21-23. Don't side-step and ignore this important question, if not for me, then for yourself and Rita!

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Poor thing.
I understand you believe as you wish. Talking down to me doesn't work to make your point.
Have a good day.

Reactions: dev553344