Saving Yourself

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as I came in from lunch yesterday, I caught the beginning of Pastor Alistair Begg on Moody radio ask the congregation if you can save yourself. No they said. He said well, what do you say to Scripture saying you can save yourself?
Be careful in your life and in your teaching. Continue to live and teach rightly. Then you will save yourself and those people who listen to you.
1 Timothy 4:16 ICB

I wish I heard the rest of the sermon but wanted to share it with the community and get your take on it.

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think its about what we read in other passages that faith without works is dead. Abide in Me and bear much fruit and prove to be My disciples. If you love Me you will do what I command. We were created in Christ Jesus for good works which God has prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. You are the salt of the earth, you are the Light set on a hill. There are many other passages that confirm the above for believers and that we will know them by their fruits. A good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bad fruit. We are called to be righteous and holy its a command to be holy as I am holy says the Lord. We are told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. We are told that He is the source of salvation for all those who obey Him. Jesus confirms that if you love Me you will obey My commands.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: Wrangler

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as I came in from lunch yesterday, I caught the beginning of Pastor Alistair Begg on Moody radio ask the congregation if you can save yourself. No they said. He said well, what do you say to Scripture saying you can save yourself?
Be careful in your life and in your teaching. Continue to live and teach rightly. Then you will save yourself and those people who listen to you.

I wish I heard the rest of the sermon but wanted to share it with the community and get your take on it.

Context brother.... context.

Paul is writing the letter as an admonition/warning/instruction to a new, young leader. He's telling him what's coming and how to avoid it, and thus 'save himself' (and others- those he is leading) from these pitfalls.

Now the Spirit explicitly says that in the later times some will desert the faith and occupy themselves with deceiving spirits and demonic teachings, influenced by the hypocrisy of liars whose consciences are seared.

By pointing out such things to the brothers and sisters, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, having nourished yourself on the words of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. But reject those myths fit only for the godless and gullible, and train yourself for godliness.

Command and teach these things. Let no one look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in your speech, conduct, love, faithfulness, and purity.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context brother.... context.

Paul is writing the letter as an admonition/warning/instruction to a new, young leader. He's telling him what's coming and how to avoid it, and thus 'save himself'
I was afraid of a response like this supposing a duality of saving ones self as indicated by the quotes. A is A. One is either savings ones self or one is not - in all contexts.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great, great point!

So many suppose it is enough to merely CLAIM to believe in God. No, I don't change my behavior or attitude one little bit BUT I do believe in God; they say.

You might call them -transchristians.

They have the claim, but none of the attributes.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus saves us if we respond, which also includes yielding to His holy and righteous ways for us to walk in.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I suspect the Lord is teaching us how to take care of ourselves.

Reactions: David in NJ

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sounds refreshing

There's a lot of 'theology' denying that there's any effort in our salvation. Good works? Self-righteousness. Willful sin? Covered by grace. Effort? Oh, that's works. Just trust in the finished work of the Cross...whatever that means.

Wait, you mean I have to live right? I object. Jesus did that for me (so I dont have to) I just have to apply His righteousness and boom Im good to go!

1 John 2:5-6

King James Version

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regard to 1 Timothy 4:16, we are not passive in persevering in our faith, but it's not in our own power that we persevere. (1 Corinthians 1:8; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; 1 Peter 1:5) God alone saves, but "in a sense" we save ourselves and others through perseverance in sound doctrine, as we continue to believe the gospel and are used as God's instruments to bring about the salvation of others through preaching the gospel to them as well. This by no means equates to salvation by works.

If you fell into a well with no way out and someone threw down and rope and pulled you out, "in a sense" you could say that you "saved yourself" by choosing to grab and hold onto the rope until that person pulled you out, but ultimately, the person who pulled you out of the well saved you and ultimately, it is Jesus Christ who saves us.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Instructions from God on 'How to Save yourself' = Philippians 2:5-11

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. 8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. 9Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

If you have not yet done this = "Today, hear His Voice and do not harden your heart" - Hebrews 3:15

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is  our battle as partakers with Jesus, so too are we to be partakers with one another.
Are we not to support, correct, encourage and edify one another and yes save others?
Let us not rejoice when one returns to the pollutions and beggarly elements of this world.

Jude 1
21] Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. [22] And of some have compassion, making a difference: [23] And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Luke 17:3-4 KJV
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

1Peter 4:
Love covers many sins. And above all things be earnest in your love among yourselves, for love covers a multitude of sins. And above all things, have fervent love to each other; for love will cover a multitude of sins.

In closing, I leave this word....
James 5:19-20 KJV
Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.