Saying you are without sin verses in 1 John

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many misinterpret the first chapter of 1 John completely, so here is a way to understand John more clearly, to undo this very common mistake. Read chapter two first, and notice the difference between talking the talk (SAY), and walking the walk. Open your minds.

1 John 2:

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who SAYS, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who SAYS he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

9 He who SAYS he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Now read chapter 1 and see if you can comprehend what is actually being said.

1 John 1:

5 God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

6 If we SAY that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we SAY that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we SAY that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Once understanding enlightens your mind, then chapter 3 is not so impossible. But you may also realize the importance of praying for the baptism of the Holy Spirit which causes the old man of sin to be crucified. Romans 8:6-7. Many Christians today have never been born again. Don't be one of them. I was a slave to sin for the first 30 years of going to church!!! But once I was baptized in the Spirit, my life took on supernatural spiritual qualities unlike any plain ole' human possesses. A human being doesn't have the powerful gifts of the Holy Spirit. They only think with a natural mind. Read what happens when the Spirit takes over. 1 Corinthians 2:9-16

9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Do you want the same power of God in your life?

Luke 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Acts 1:8
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Does your life shine with the light of God within you, or are you more like the world?

There are many truths that are lost in many denominations plagued with misinterpretations of scripture and false doctrine. That goes for the Bible translators that try to add practice to scriptures, which changes the meaning to self willpower, not the power of God. If you are alive, there is still time to make your election sure.

2 Peter 1:2-11
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many get the first chapter of 1 John completely misinterpretated, so here is a way to understand John more clearly. Read chapter two first, and notice the difference between talking the talk, and walking the walk. Open your minds.

1 John 2:

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who SAYS, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who SAYS he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

9 He who SAYS he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Now read chapter 1 and see if you can comprehend what is actually being said.

1 John 1:

5 God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

6 If we SAY that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we SAY that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we SAY that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Once understanding enlightens your mind, then chapter 3 is not so impossible. But you may also realize the importance of praying for the baptism of the Holy Spirit which causes the old man of sin to be crucified. Romans 8:6-7. Many Christians today have never been born again. Don't be one of them. I was a slave to sin for the first 30 years of going to church!!! But once I was baptized in the Spirit, my life took on supernatural spiritual qualities unlike any plain ole' human possesses. A human being doesn't have the powerful gifts of the Holy Spirit. They only think with a natural mind. Read what happens when the Spirit takes over. 1 Corinthians 2:9-16

9 But as it is written:

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Do you want the same power of God in your life?

Luke 11:9-13
9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Acts 1:8
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Does your life shine with the light of God within you, or are you more like the world?

There are many truths that are lost in many denominations plagued with misinterpretations of scripture and false doctrine. That goes for the Bible translators that try to add practice to scriptures, which changes the meaning to self willpower, not the power of God. If you are alive, there is still time to make your election sure.

2 Peter 1:2-11
2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

You would literally be surprised at the number of people who actually say they are without sin maam. Puzzles the heck out of me, I sin every single day. The world is designed to see to it that individuals do sin every day. You know though, one day in the near future that will not be the case.

Reactions: Dropship

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You would literally be surprised at the number of people who actually say they are without sin maam. Puzzles the heck out of me, I sin every single day. The world is designed to see to it that individuals do sin every day. You know though, one day in the near future that will not be the case.

Are you saying that you will soon be getting baptized in the Spirit?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this has nothing to do with you personally but I hear this all of the time.

Jesus and the Apostles talk about not sinning, habitual sin, continuing in sin as a character trait of an unbeliever, not a believer.

So how is sinning every single day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 365 days in a row not habitual sinning, continuing in sin ? And if this is the case and someone has been a " christian for lets say 10 years then that is continuing in sin daily for 3,650 days in a row.

The bible says we are to be dead to sin and not let sin reign in us. So are we being misled, taught wrong in the church ?

Also another thing the church has wrong- Nowhere are believers referred to or called sinners- they are called saints, holy ones.

John 8:11
She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Romans 6:2
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein

Romans 6:11
So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:15
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law, but under grace? Certainly not!

1 Peter 4:1-3
For as much then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

1 John 2:29
If you know that He is righteous, you also know that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of Him.

1 John 3:6
No one who remains in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has seen Him or known Him.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
this has nothing to do with you personally but I hear this all of the time.

Jesus and the Apostles talk about not sinning, habitual sin, continuing in sin as a character trait of an unbeliever, not a believer.

So how is sinning every single day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 365 days in a row not habitual sinning, continuing in sin ? And if this is the case and someone has been a " christian for lets say 10 years then that is continuing in sin daily for 3,650 days in a row.

The bible says we are to be dead to sin and not let sin reign in us. So are we being misled, taught wrong in the church ?

Also another thing the church has wrong- Nowhere are believers referred to or called sinners- they are called saints, holy ones.

John 8:11
She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Romans 6:2
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein

Romans 6:11
So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 6:15
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law, but under grace? Certainly not!

1 Peter 4:1-3
For as much then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

1 John 2:29
If you know that He is righteous, you also know that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of Him.

1 John 3:6
No one who remains in Him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has seen Him or known Him.

hope this helps !!!
Is it sin not to obey Christ's commands when he walked this earth? If it is, the person you replied to told the truth didn't he. He was just being honest

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it sin not to obey Christ's commands when he walked this earth? If it is, the person you replied to told the truth didn't he. He was just being honest
I said it wasn't personal and gave scriptures to support what the bible says on the topic.

Or can you address the OP and why you affirm or deny it ?

Do you disagree with the scriptures ? If so why ?

And you screen name is great since we are saved by grace through faith. Amen !

Oh and welcome to the forum !

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I said it wasn't personal and gave scriptures to support what the bible says on the topic.

Do you disagree with the scriptures ? If so why ?

And you screen name is great since we are saved by grace through faith. Amen !

Oh and welcome to the forum !
You need to understand sin must be viewed in two seperate ways. In one sense we all commit sin, as Robert Gwin stated he did:

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us 1John1:8
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God 1John3:9

Now please answer my question. Is it sin not to obey Christ's commands in the Gospels?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You would literally be surprised at the number of people who actually say they are without sin

1st John says the born again have no sin... in Chapter 3

If you look at verses 5 and 9, he says "in Christ there is no Sin"......and all the born again are 'IN CHRIST"

Look at 5, . ""'in HIM is NO SIN"..

See that?
The OP of this Thread will never see that....cannot.

Look at verse 9...that confirms vs 5.. "whoever is BORN OF GOD (born again) Does NOT SIN".

"does not sin".

Why?
Verse 5... 'IN HIM....(where the born again exist.... IS NO SIN"..

The born again are IN CHRIST, and "IN Christ there is no sin".

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to understand sin must be viewed in two seperate ways. In one sense we all commit sin, as Robert Gwin stated he did:

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us 1John1:8
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God 1John3:9

Now please answer my question. Is it sin not to obey Christ's commands in the Gospels?
Disobedience to Jesus is always a sin. Why do you ask ?

BTW I'm not a sinless perfectionist.

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Disobedience to Jesus is always a sin. Why do you ask ?
Therefore you agree it is sin not to obey Christ's commands in the Gospels. Now you are not really going to tell me you obey each and every command of Christ in the gospels faultlessly are you?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore you agree it is sin not to obey Christ's commands in the Gospels. Now you are not really going to tell me you obey each and every command of Christ in the gospels faultlessly are you?
So now you are disagreeing with Jesus and Paul shall we continue in sin that grace might abound.

I'm asking you what scripture declares to be the truth. Not what your or my experience thinks the truth is. Do you understand the difference ?

Experience does not determine truth, Scripture is the truth. So failing to obey it doesn't nullify the truth. failing to walk in the spirit doesn't not justify living in the flesh. Sin is sin.

Are you a calvinist by chance ? are you reformed in your faith ?

hope this helps !!!

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So now you are disagreeing with Jesus and Paul shall we continue in sin that grace might abound.

I'm asking you what scripture declares to be the truth. Not what your or my experience thinks the truth is. Do you understand the difference ?

Experience does not determine truth, Scripture is the truth. So failing to obey it doesn't nullify the truth. failing to walk in the spirit doesn't not justify living in the flesh. Sin is sin.

Are you a calvinist by chance ? are you reformed in your faith ?

hope this helps !!!
I'm afraid it doesn't help at all in relation to this discussion. Sin must be viewed in two ways, as 1John 1:8 and 1John3:9 show. Im not disagreeing with Jesus and Paul at all. You have to differentiate the two ways of sin.
But as you do not even try and obey each and every command of Christ in the Gospels, and you acknowledge failing to obey Christ is sin. You sin in that regard each and every day don't you, just as robert gwin stated he did. So why take issue with him?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm afraid it doesn't help at all in relation to this discussion. Sin must be viewed in two ways, as 1John 1:8 and 1John3:9 show. Im not disagreeing with Jesus and Paul at all. You have to differentiate the two ways of sin.
But as you do not even try and obey each and every command of Christ in the Gospels, and you acknowledge failing to obey Christ is sin. You sin in that regard each and every day don't you, just as robert gwin stated he did. So why take issue with him?
Which commands am I disobeying ?

You seem to have a crystal ball .

and why do you keep making it personal ?

we are discussing the scriptures about not sinning, continuing in sin and the the bible calls the followers of Christ saints/holy ones not sinners.

and you argue exactly like another poster I know from another forum. Ironic.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: BarneyFife

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Which commands am I disobeying ?

You seem to have a crystal ball .
I don't need a crystal ball as such.
Do you not invite friends or family home for a meal, but rather the poor, blind lame and beggars so you may receive your reward in Heaven?
If you have ever fasted, have you so much as hinted to others you are fasting?
If someone stole something of yours, would you give them more besides what they stole, with nothing but love in your heart for them?
If people persecute you, and malign you, would you have nothing but love in your heart for them?
If you are persecuted, do you truly leap for joy, constantly?
If anyone asked to borrow from you, would you give to them without expecting anything back?
Do you truly in your heart love your enemies, those who may be unkind to you, slander you, or malign you?

And will you answer honestly
?
And please do not make excuses. Better just to be honest and admit our faliures. We all have them
I could go on and on. I have never met anyone who has even tried to obey each and every command of Christ.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't need a crystal ball as such.
Do you not invite friends or family home for a meal, but rather the poor, blind lame and beggars so you may receive your reward in Heaven?
If you have ever fasted, have you so much as hinted to others you are fasting?
If someone stole something of yours, would you give them more besides what they stole, with nothing but love in your heart for them?
If people persecute you, and malign you, would you have nothing but love in your heart for them?
If you are persecuted, do you truly leap for joy, constantly?
If anyone asked to borrow from you, would you give to them without expecting anything back?
Do you truly in your heart love your enemies, those who may be unkind to you, slander you, or malign you?

And will you answer honestly
?
And please do not make excuses. Better just to be honest and admit our faliures. We all have them
I could go on and on. I have never met anyone who has even tried to obey each and every command of Christ.
Well I see you have no scripture references just your embellishment and twisting of them. Nice try though.

And btw fasting is not a command its OT Judaism.

next

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well I see you have no scripture references just youe embellishment and twisting of them. Nice try though.

And btw fasting is not a command its OT Judaism.

next
The reason I responded to your post was because you took issue with another poster stating he sinned every day. I simply wanted to point out to you that you sin every day also, according to the standard you yourself set for committing sin

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason I responded to your post was because you took issue with another poster stating he sinned every day. I simply wanted to point out to you that you sin every day also, according to the standard you yourself set for committing sin
And actually I don't so speak for yourself. If you sin every day that is your problem , not mine.

Reactions: BarneyFife

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
And actually I don't so speak for yourself.
There is not one day you yourself even try to obey each and every command of Christ in the Gospels. You stated ''disobedience to Jesus is always a sin''
Therefore, you sin each and every day of your life

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
None of us are perfect; even Jesus knew his human side made him less than perfect-
"A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered, “No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)

But as Christians we're a lot more perfect than those who aren't..:)