Scriptures that trinitarians Don't Want You to Know About - #5, Book of Acts

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue. Not being equal to God is THE EXACT OPPOSITE of being equal to God.

the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

Again @Wrangler this isn't either or because Jesus is unique in being BOTH God and man.
Being distinct may be a more clear way of saying this than arguing over equal/coequal or unequal.

It just makes sense on its face that
God is God only not God and man.
Jesus is both God and man.

Therefore saying "Jesus is God" does NOT mean
these two are "exactly the same as interchangeable"

Neither do you want to say "Jesus is not God"
because Jesus is both God and man.

@Wrangler my understanding of why so many people emphasis the
part that "Jesus is God" is to counteract or compensate for
so many people saying Jesus is either man only or manmade.

So to balance for that, there are people who go to the "equal and opposite extreme"
of emphatically stressing that "Jesus is God" instead of SPECIFYING "Jesus is God and man".

If we can ALL AGREE that

"Jesus is both the Son of God and Son of Man
and reconciling the two" We can still discuss the
same laws of how to act in relations and in society
and reach agreement even if we say and see it differently.

God's laws are so universal, that any other conflicts
can be resolved as long as we receive each other in Christ
to focus on where we do agree in truth. The rest will follow.

Emily Nghiem

Jun 16, 2021
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's really a personal question, outside the scope of this thread. But it hit me when I was a child hearing a priest talk about the 1C.
It explains why this is how you received the Original Gospel.
And anything other than that is "accursed" to you.
So it still applies to this thread in terms of explaining
why the adverse reactions between how you and others
see and say things, according to how we each heard and received
the ORIGINAL GOSPEL. (I first understood and received the full message
after FORGIVING past problems that I didn't realize were blocking full perception.
So that is why I look at each person in terms of what are we having trouble
FORGIVING and how is this preventing us from seeing what the other means?)
===============================================
As for your parable about circles not being squares that cannot be imposed on them,
my friend who is atheist said what he sees is circles and squares "sideways" that are both LINES.
To atheists, if they don't see God or Toothfairies or Dragons as real, they will use all these
terms "interchangeably" to mean "nonexistent made up symbolic figures."

Perspective and perception means everything.

A pastor I talked with about Buddhism said he ran into people from Eastern cultures
not understanding God as "Creator" because they ran the spirit God together with the
actual Universe as "Creation." They don't separate the cause or source, as a Personified entity, but
blend them together as one, impersonal.

How does this help us? When sharing with a person from a different culture,
this affects how we talk about God. It can be easier to discuss the
KINGDOM OF GOD, which is how Thich Nhat Hanh was able to talk about spiritual peace.

Fighting over perspective is not going to help, if people's mindsets
or brains are conditioned to understand God's truth
through the ORIGINAL ways they were taught to view life and laws of nature and the universe.

The more we understand what PERSPECTIVE each person comes from,
we are less likely to come across as "accursed" by "imposing" or negating their experiences.

Christ Jesus came to FULFILL not ABOLISH.
So whatever is universally true does not need to be "abolished or replaced."
Even where universal truth is understood by different people using different approaches than our own.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I know, although I wanted to clearly show some more thought into this particular verse for him, regardless of what he does with it. Then I'm done giving my time to it and on him. It is your thread, so if you want me to stop I have no problem whatsoever....it is good as done ...

Oh, by all means try to reach him.

Just keep reading the gospel of John and ... it is not hard.

Yea, especially John 20:31 where he says EVERYTHING he's written is to prove to you Jesus is the Messiah. Logic dictates this means NOTHING John wrote ought to be interpreted for other purposes, like 4th century God incarnation.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette finishing up on John 1:1 from my post #754...

----continued------

John 1:1b is commonly translated as "and the word was with God"

Now this common translation is not the best. The Greek word pros for 'with' is better translated as 'towards' 'to' 'unto' 'before.' In fact in the NT pros is only translated to 'with' less that 3 percent of the time. The Word was not just with God, it was permanently attached and faced or pointed towards God. It identified more about God. It was his Word, He alone owned this Word.

Now John 1:1c is commonly translated as "and the Word was God" and is also misleading, not the best translation. In John 1:1b we identified who owned the Word; God. Why would John now say the Word was God when he just said the Word was with or towards God? He did not because the translation is wrong and misleading.

Also notice there is no definite article 'the'(Greek Ho) in front of God in John 1:1c. So in this part of 1:1 capitalized God is incorrect. It cannot be the God. Now it could be translated as (a) god, although this would not make any sense either as I just identified and defined logos as not being a person of any kind, whether human or superhuman.

No, John 1:1c gives the Word a sense quality or a description of itself. And this makes much sense.

John first said when the Word was, then who owned it, and then he say the Word was divine (of divinity) or Godly (of Godliness). So not only can we translate it as a god, that does not make any sense, but it can be translated more accurately as divine or Godly. The Word of God was/is divine or Godly. The Word resembles (theos) Godliness or divinity.

And in John 1:2, John circles back and as the other book end and says this Word was with/part of/towards God from the beginning.

Summary: God has/had the Word from the beginning and it was divine/ Godly of his own self or making.

And then in John 1:3 we find John continuing on in saying God's Word created everything into existence using God's power or Spirit as Genesis exposes.

So there in no hint of the Messiah being part of John 1:1-3...God Almighty possessed/possesses his own Word before the beginning of time and created with it, with the power of his Spirit.

End of story

APAK

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Summary: God has/had the Word from the beginning and it was divine/ Godly of his own self or making.

This detailed linguistic analysis is the same point I've made dozens of times. Speaking, expressing or voicing a word is an attribute of being. It is not a being. Certainly, any action of a being is not a separate being from the being doing the acting.

"Of God" or 'of the being' could be added for emphasis. These words are the words of Wrangler. It does not make the letters I type a person connected to the multi-person being known as Wrangler. :cool:

So there in no hint of the Messiah being part of John 1:1-3

The most obvious destruction of their claim that John 1:1 supports the doctrine that Jesus is God is the verse does not even mention Jesus!

The doctrine is so void of substance, they point with great energy and excitement at that which has no substance as their firmest support. Undoubtedly, they will invoke the tactic of referencing many verses claiming they all collectively support the doctrine while - under scrutiny - not one verse stands on it's own as coming close to explicitly teaching this doctrine.

Indeed, the vaguer the statement, the more vehement will be their insistence it ought to be deemed as definitive proof. :rolleyes:

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This detailed linguistic analysis is the same point I've made dozens of times. Speaking, expressing or voicing a word is an attribute of being. It is not a being. Certainly, any action of a being is not a separate being from the being doing the acting.

"Of God" or 'of the being' could be added for emphasis. These words are the words of Wrangler. It does not make the letters I type a person connected to the multi-person being known as Wrangler. :cool:

The most obvious destruction of their claim that John 1:1 supports the doctrine that Jesus is God is the verse does not even mention Jesus!

The doctrine is so void of substance, they point with great energy and excitement at that which has no substance as their firmest support. Undoubtedly, they will invoke the tactic of referencing many verses claiming they all collectively support the doctrine while - under scrutiny - not one verse stands on it's own as coming close to explicitly teaching this doctrine.

Indeed, the vaguer the statement, the more vehement will be their insistence it ought to be deemed as definitive proof. :rolleyes:
Well said...

Those that deny the truth in this scripture MUST invent artificial substances of nonsense, as you said in your own words. It is their touchstone scripture for their narrative and unproven theory(ies). They cannot afford to just allow the simple truth of John's words just slip away from their fingers. They have to account for all their other created devices (preexistent Son of God, incarnation, hypostasis etc.) they created. If John's words lets them down they are finished. And then they do not understand John 1:14. They create a circular logic circuit with John 1:1-3. They have to make the Word = Jesus even if it is pure nonsense and cannot ever be defended or UNDERSTOOD.

God, our Father, voiced or expressed his own being via his Spirit with power to creation and the world. Then he caused a change in this ages old process of his plan, and created and used his 2nd Adam to continue his voice for the Church, through him. The voice (expression of his mind) of God became a human voice we call his Son, and the Son of Man, and we saw his glory per his resurrection and immortality granted to him. Yeshua became the Word (Voice and mind) of God, our Father; as he is still this today.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, by all means try to reach him.

Yea, especially John 20:31 where he says EVERYTHING he's written is to prove to you Jesus is the Messiah. Logic dictates this means NOTHING John wrote ought to be interpreted for other purposes, like 4th century God incarnation.

So explain JOhn 1:1. You keep dodging to answer this simple request.

then John 5:18

then 1 Tim. 3:16

Phillipians 2

all these passages from GODS WORD says Jesus is THEOS or God. YOu say He is not- so please explain why theos does not mean God in these passages.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette finishing up on John 1:1 from my post #754...

----continued------

John 1:1b is commonly translated as "and the word was with God"

Now this common translation is not the best. The Greek word pros for 'with' is better translated as 'towards' 'to' 'unto' 'before.' In fact in the NT pros is only translated to 'with' less that 3 percent of the time. The Word was not just with God, it was permanently attached and faced or pointed towards God. It identified more about God. It was his Word, He alone owned this Word.

Now John 1:1c is commonly translated as "and the Word was God" and is also misleading, not the best translation. In John 1:1b we identified who owned the Word; God. Why would John now say the Word was God when he just said the Word was with or towards God? He did not because the translation is wrong and misleading.

Also notice there is no definite article 'the'(Greek Ho) in front of God in John 1:1c. So in this part of 1:1 capitalized God is incorrect. It cannot be the God. Now it could be translated as (a) god, although this would not make any sense either as I just identified and defined logos as not being a person of any kind, whether human or superhuman.

No, John 1:1c gives the Word a sense quality or a description of itself. And this makes much sense.

John first said when the Word was, then who owned it, and then he say the Word was divine (of divinity) or Godly (of Godliness). So not only can we translate it as a god, that does not make any sense, but it can be translated more accurately as divine or Godly. The Word of God was/is divine or Godly. The Word resembles (theos) Godliness or divinity.

And in John 1:2, John circles back and as the other book end and says this Word was with/part of/towards God from the beginning.

And then in John 1:3 we find John continuing on in saying God's Word created everything into existence using God's power or Spirit as Genesis exposes.

So there in no hint of the Messiah being part of John 1:1-3...God Almighty possessed/possesses his own Word before the beginning of time and created with it, with the power of his Spirit.

End of story

APAK

As to John 1b and the word with(pros) you are incorrect:
The KJV translates Strong's G4314 in the following manner: unto (340x), to (203x), with (43x), for (25x), against (24x), among (20x), at (11x), not translated (6x), miscellaneous (53x), variations of 'to' (1x).

it is a directional word and has many english uses. context determines which is best and KJV shows with 43X.

As for your opinion of John 1c you are simply wring. the word god in both instances is theos and must by rule be translated as the same. If the writer wished to simply describe a characteristic (meaning godly) then in this case they would have used the very commonly known noun theotes which means godly or god like. So your argument fails biblically, linguistically and grammatically.

As for the false argument you make about Messiah in John 1:1-3 yes you are correct that Jesus is not specifically named in those three verses. but John 1:14-18, 1 Tim 2 , and Phil. 2 explicitly and umambiguously tell us that teh Word is Jesus!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As to John 1b and the word with(pros) you are incorrect:
The KJV translates Strong's G4314 in the following manner: unto (340x), to (203x), with (43x), for (25x), against (24x), among (20x), at (11x), not translated (6x), miscellaneous (53x), variations of 'to' (1x).

it is a directional word and has many english uses. context determines which is best and KJV shows with 43X.

As for your opinion of John 1c you are simply wring. the word god in both instances is theos and must by rule be translated as the same. If the writer wished to simply describe a characteristic (meaning godly) then in this case they would have used the very commonly known noun theotes which means godly or god like. So your argument fails biblically, linguistically and grammatically.

As for the false argument you make about Messiah in John 1:1-3 yes you are correct that Jesus is not specifically named in those three verses. but John 1:14-18, 1 Tim 2 , and Phil. 2 explicitly and umambiguously tell us that teh Word is Jesus!
Ron, you are pulling straws here again.

I will only give you one area of credit and then it does not change a thing. I said that 'with' used for the Greek 'pros' was used only 3 percent of the time. You show 6 percent. So I will agree with this figure of 6 percent then. And does this move the needle Ron? Of course you know it does not at all.

and for John 1:1c again from other sources beside my view...

Since the definite article is missing from the second occurrence of “theos” (“God,”) the usual meaning would be “god” or “divine.” The New English Bible gets the sense of this phrase by translating it, “What God was, the Word was.” James Moffatt who was a professor of Greek and New Testament Exegesis at Mansfield College in Oxford, England, and author of the well-known Moffatt Bible, translated the phrase, “the logos was divine.”

And now from a well known TRINITARIAN Ron..
---------------------------------------
A very clear explanation of how to translate theos without the definite article can be found in Jesus As They Knew Him, by William Barclay, a professor at Trinity College in Glasgow:

In a case like this we cannot do other than go to the Greek, which is theos en ho logos. Ho is the definite article, the, and it can be seen that there is a definite article with logos, but not with theos. When in Greek two nouns are joined by the verb “to be,” and when both have the definite article, then the one is fully intended to be identified with the other; but when one of them is without the article, it becomes more an adjective than a noun, and describes rather the class or sphere to which the other belongs.

An illustration from English will make this clear. If I say, “The preacher is the man,” I use the definite article before both preacher and man, and I thereby identify the preacher with some quite definite individual man whom I have in mind. But, if I say, “The preacher is man,” I have omitted the definite article before man, and what I mean is that the preacher must be classified as a man, he is in the sphere of manhood, he is a human being.

and another source:

[In the last clause of John 1:1] John has no article before theos, God. The logos, therefore, is not identified as God or with God; the word theos has become adjectival and describes the sphere to which the logos belongs. We would, therefore, have to say that this means that the logos belongs to the same sphere as God; without being identified with God, the logos has the same kind of life and being as God. Here the NEB [New English Bible] finds the perfect translation: “What God was, the Word was.” [5] William Barclay, Jesus as They Knew Him (Harper and Row, N.Y., 1962), pp. 21 and 22.

I think you might want to reconsider and do some more research before you fire back at me with more blanks...

The Messiah is not in John 1:1 Ron

End of Story....

APAK

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grammatically you are correct, but historically and culturally you are way way incorrect!

Just another way of saying one better interpret a sentence that does not actually say anything about Jesus, the Messiah, according to 4th century tradition AS IF it did.

Grammatically correct take begins by recognize speaking a word is an attribute of being, not a different being.

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve already explained it dozens of times in threads not about the Book of Acts.

Just search when I’ve referenced Deuteronomy 18:15-18. PM me with any questions.

Well I didn't follow your answer in other threads. I have asked you here. I am sure if you have answered it many times you can write a succinct answer here. Or cut and paste an answere from the dozens of other times you answered it where I wasn't on that thread.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ron, you are pulling straws here again.

I will only give you one area of credit and then it does not change a thing. I said that 'with' used for the Greek 'pros' was used only 3 percent of the time. You show 6 percent. So I will agree with this figure of 6 percent then. And does this move the needle Ron? Of course you know it does not at all.

and for John 1:1c again from other sources beside my view...

Since the definite article is missing from the second occurrence of “theos” (“God,”) the usual meaning would be “god” or “divine.” The New English Bible gets the sense of this phrase by translating it, “What God was, the Word was.” James Moffatt who was a professor of Greek and New Testament Exegesis at Mansfield College in Oxford, England, and author of the well-known Moffatt Bible, translated the phrase, “the logos was divine.”

And now from a well known TRINITARIAN Ron..
---------------------------------------
A very clear explanation of how to translate theos without the definite article can be found in Jesus As They Knew Him, by William Barclay, a professor at Trinity College in Glasgow:

In a case like this we cannot do other than go to the Greek, which is theos en ho logos. Ho is the definite article, the, and it can be seen that there is a definite article with logos, but not with theos. When in Greek two nouns are joined by the verb “to be,” and when both have the definite article, then the one is fully intended to be identified with the other; but when one of them is without the article, it becomes more an adjective than a noun, and describes rather the class or sphere to which the other belongs.

Well apak: It is you who are pulling straws. "Pros" is a directional word and all the definitions given show a direction or "place". With is the correct definition in this case versus the other directional or place words it is translated. Context determinies.

As for theos in the second occurrence. Yes it appears with9out the article which means it is not the theos (with the definite article) in the first occurrence. I have repeatedly said that jesus is not His own God or god the Father. theos in the second occurrence acts as an adjectival noun and describes the logos! So divine is a correct trranslation But where you fail is that Jesus in essence (not position) is just as divine as His Father. That is the only answer one can conclude from a normal natural reading of Scripture. He is just as much god as His Father in nature, but inferior to God the Father in His position in the godhead!

And Moffatt is not a scholar I would throw around much. He had high praise for the New Word Translation of tthe Scriptures produced by that cult the Watchtower.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just another way of saying one better interpret a sentence that does not actually say anything about Jesus, the Messiah, according to 4th century tradition AS IF it did.

Grammatically correct take begins by recognize speaking a word is an attribute of being, not a different being.

Unless that Word is not a Word but a person as the bible has declared! You strain at gnats to swallow camels.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well apak: It is you who are pulling straws. "Pros" is a directional word and all the definitions given show a direction or "place". With is the correct definition in this case versus the other directional or place words it is translated. Context determinies.

As for theos in the second occurrence. Yes it appears with9out the article which means it is not the theos (with the definite article) in the first occurrence. I have repeatedly said that jesus is not His own God or god the Father. theos in the second occurrence acts as an adjectival noun and describes the logos! So divine is a correct trranslation But where you fail is that Jesus in essence (not position) is just as divine as His Father. That is the only answer one can conclude from a normal natural reading of Scripture. He is just as much god as His Father in nature, but inferior to God the Father in His position in the godhead!

And Moffatt is not a scholar I would throw around much. He had high praise for the New Word Translation of the Scriptures produced by that cult the Watchtower.
Well Ron, I think I've heard enough of your arguments and they do not persuade at all. I have completed my task of answering you satisfactorily. I cannot see you adding anything to the subject at hand either.

If you want to play a Concerto of scripture surrounding John 1:1-2 then play each of these verses as they all synchronize and harmonize and sing a beautiful tune about the Word of God. It is great to know who is the Word of God, our Father!..indeed.

upload_2021-7-20_8-19-34.png

Blessings,

APAK

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Ron, I think I've heard enough of your arguments and they do not persuade at all. I have completed my task of answering you satisfactorily. I cannot see you adding anything to the subject at hand either.

If you want to play a Concerto of scripture surrounding John 1:1-2 then play each of the verses as they all synchronize and harmonize and sing a beautiful tune about the Word of God. It is great to know who is the Word of God, our Father!..indeed.

View attachment 16295

Blessings,

APAK

So be it! when we stand before th word of God we will know who inderstood Scripture correctly and who believed a lie!

11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless that Word is not a Word but a person as the bible has declared! You strain at gnats to swallow camels.

The Bible most certainly does not declare that an attribute of a being is a being. So indoctrinated in your doctrine you see unicorns everywhere.

Make a blessed day.

Status
Not open for further replies.