Secure Eternal Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can only see 'eternal life' as meaning you can't lose it.
Oh, nonsense! Like my mind is so inflexible! But I can read the Bible, and clearly see what it says. Which you've never actually disputed, only to claim it doesn't mean what it says.

I always liked the one . . .

I have a mind like a steel trap! If anything slighty disturbes it, it snaps shut, is very hard to re-open, and may take some of your fingers with it!

:)

And PS . . . more ad hominem. You seem to find your thoughts of me to fascinate you!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you truly have everlasting life . . . well, you shall in fact appear with Him.
You know I'm not in disagreement with this!
Of course all people who have everlasting life, not used to have it, will in fact appear with him.

You're stuck in the OSAS rut of thinking.
And I know it's really, really hard to get people out of that rut.
It's a very powerful mindset.

Reactions: GodsGrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you admit there are references to having salvation that do not mean you will always have salvation?
The word means to rescue, like that, so whatever is being rescued, if you pull a cat from a tree, you've saved it, in the sotero since. And if God begets you into His family, and says that's forever, you are eternally and everlastingly saved, still in that sotero sense, you just look at the context.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know I'm not in disagreement with this!
Of course all people who have everlasting life, not used to have it, will in fact appear with him.

You're stuck in the OSAS rut.
And I know it's really, really hard to get people out of that rut.
It's a very powerful mindset.
No, you only give it lip service.

He lived forever until he died.

OK.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you told me it had an everlasting paint job I'd consider that to be very sloppy language.

Much love!
How about those everlasting stamps you get from the post office?
Does that mean they are always of sufficient value to send a letter first class, or does it mean you can never lose it?
To the OSAS mindset it means you can never lose it, and can not mean anything else. Or else it's contradictory.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you need to refresh your understanding of ad hominem attack.
I'm addressing the mindset of your doctrine.
I'm talking about what the verses say. Instead of responding with a rebuttal of what the verses say, you respond, many times, with you're assertions of what it is about me that makes me respond the way I do. Rather than speak toward the topic, and why you agree or disagree with my points from a Biblical standpoint, you play pop pschologist and give your so-called analysis of me.

That's a classic ad hominem argument.

Meanwhile, we know, that when we see Him we will be like Him.

But not all believe. And some would tell you to doubt those words, consider that they may mislead.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if God begets you into His family, and says that's forever, you are eternally and everlastingly saved
...if you keep believing.
And the reason it is eternal and everlasting is because the ministry of Jesus and his sacrifice never ends, not because you can't lose it.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about what the verses say. Instead of responding with a rebuttal of what the verses say, you respond, many times, with you're assertions of what it is about me that makes me respond the way I do.
I'm telling you that you are understanding verses with OSAS presuppositions. That's just a matter of the doctrine you have chosen to believe, not a personal attack on you. Your doctrine says that wherever you see 'saved' in reference to spiritual salvation it means 'forever saved'. And so you automatically interpret the verse according to that presupposition. It's the famous circuclar reasoning of OSAS—"We know salvation can't be lost because salvation means you can't lose it".

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He lived forever until he died.
No, it's, "he had the life that God gives, which lasts forever, until he didn't have it anymore."

It seems you can not grasp the argument and so it sounds illogical and contradictory to you. And that's what I've been saying; OSAS is only able to see what it believes and thinks is the only possible argument available, because it can't see the other argument. But as I'm showing you something being everlasting and eternal does not have to only mean you can't lose it. You can indeed have something that is everlasting and eternal and not have to always have it. OSAS says that is impossible.

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'm telling you that you are understanding verses with OSAS presuppositions.

He is dealing with the Text, You're going to the person and what you perceive to be their doctrine, If You're trying to push everlasting Life as not really meaning everlasting... or eternal really means it can end....You are going to have to deal with the text no need to make it personal, an Interesting discussion Tho...well mainly on marks part, one side is a bit like a broken record, But I have enjoyed the read thanks guys :)

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If You're trying to push everlasting Life as not really meaning everlasting... or eternal really means it can end....
What does everlasting/ eternal life mean?
That is the key to understanding this subject.
Osas says it means you can never lose it no matter what.
The Bible says it means Christ's ministry never ends.
Big difference!

Reactions: robert derrick

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What does everlasting/ eternal life mean?
That is the key to understanding this subject.
Osas says it means you can never lose it no matter what.
The Bible says it means Christ's ministry never ends.
Big difference!

Everlasting/Eternal Life Means what it says, Life that never ends, what else could it mean, I think the discussion could be better directed at how it is applied, not what eternal or everlasting mean

Why cant it be both, you can't lose it and Christ's ministry never Ends

The way I see it marks is dealing with the text and trying not to make things personal, You see OSAS when it's not even there

Take Believing for example....you gotta believe right Ferris? we are in agreement there :) But you can hide anything you want behind the word believe if you are not going to define it, I believe the sun will rise tomorrow unless Jesus comes back..... doesn't change anything,My point is It depends on what you think those words mean, Often times people have been taught wrongly what words mean, even basic words, Its actually a big problem, That's why Scripture needs to interpret Scripture

The word Believing you use as the example here, you say you have to believe till the end, till you die, What do you think you have to believe the moment you die that will make things ok?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
OSAS is biblical!

Colossians 3:3-4
King James Version

3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Ephesians 2:8-10
King James Version

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Romans 10:9-13
King James Version

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Ephesians 2:5-7
King James Version

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:28-39
King James Version

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 10:28-29
King James Version

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

John 3:36
King James Version

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Colossians 1:13
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Philippians 1:6
King James Version

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Hebrews 10:14
King James Version

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Hebrews 13:5
King James Version

5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

There are many others as well.

Your verses you cite are all about our experience and receiving the consequences of sin in this life. what you and so many others who falsely believe one can lose their salvation fail in is that you reject the fact the sin does not sned a person to hell! Jesus died for all the sins of the world! So bad deeds do not send one ot hell.

Also you have to conclude that Jesus did not die for all your sins if you can lose your salvation, which is sheer foolishness!

also you forget that when one receives Christ by faith- the old man is killed and the new man is born which is being fashioned into the image of Jesus!

We live in two truths. Positional truth and expriential truth. Positionally we are already seen as perfect, and experientially god is cutting the old habits away and replacing them with new Godly ones and Jesus will complete that good work.

YOu call OSAS a man made theory, well believing one can lose their salvation comes direct from the pit of hell.
@Ronald Nolette Great, assuring quotes for the believer! :)

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everlasting/Eternal Life Means what it says, Life that never ends, what else could it mean
It does mean that. The problem is thinking that has to mean you can't lose it.
Life is eternal because Christ's ministry that gives you that life never ends, not because you can't lose it. You have to keep believing in order to keep being a recipient of the benefits of the ministry that never ends.

The word Believing you use as the example here, you say you have to believe till the end, till you die, What do you think you have to believe the moment you die that will make things ok?
Believing means trusting. You have to trust in God's forgiveness all the way to the very end to be saved in the very end. The person who does not trust in God's forgiveness is not saved. You don't get to keep the benefit of God's forgiveness that you no longer believe/trust in.

Reactions: robert derrick

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can read the Bible, and clearly see what it says. Which you've never actually disputed...
I don't dispute scripture. What I dispute is the inference that you draw from scripture. An erroneous inference because it ignores other scripture about the matter.

...only to claim it doesn't mean what it says.
It means exactly what it says. The problem is you're leaving out other information and coming to the wrong conclusion of what it means.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV
1) Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Context adds understanding, would you agree? How do you know you are saved? You endure.
How long do I need to endure in order to know I'm saved?
Obviously, you would need to endure to the very end and exhaust all possibilities of not enduring before you can make the determination that you are really saved. So we know that's not what Paul is saying. He's saying you are saved as long as you are enduring. And the verb tenses bear that out. They are in the present tense. You are presently saved if you are presently believing.

You endure. That's how. But if you've believed in vain, that is, in an empty or meaningless way - vanity - then when the time of testing comes, you fall away, because you aren't really a new creation. Testing proves that.
Now that I've shown you that Paul can not be saying that not enduring shows you are not really saved we can see that falling away can mean you simply stopped believing just as it may mean you never really believed to begin with.

If believing in vain in 1 Corinthians 15:2 means you never really believed that still doesn't change his statement that you are presently saved as long as you are presently believing. If you didn't really believe all that means is you aren't even a believer to begin with for it to matter if you keep believing.

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It says they are saved if they hold fast to the gospel HE taught them.
Do you think they believed a false gospel? Did Paul teach them a false gospel?
No, of course not.
He tells them they are saved if they hold fast to what HE taught them.

"1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, and in which you stand firm. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:1-2

The "otherwise you have believed in vain" part is referring to if Christ has not really risen from the dead. Then they aren't saved if they hold fast to what Paul preached to them. For he will have preached a false gospel to them.
I think learning about scripture in context would assist you greatly.

Reactions: marks

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. That really makes the enemy mad.

Sealed eternally by God's holy spirit. OSAS, Once Sealed Always Sealed, as someone in our bible study once said.

Who would ever argue against that? No, I'm not saved eternally! God calls whom he will to salvation but I, yes I, can do something to screw that up and overrule God's decision.

That's the height of arrogance, ego-centrism, and stupidity, anyway you look at it.

In short the fools monologue: "No eternal salvation! It's a lie!Because I am able to choose to send myself to hell after God called me by name and gave through his grace faith and salvation!"

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Maybe that's why most that think that way also think contrary to the scripture yet again, they can choose to be saved or not.

People are people.
Once again. A perfect confirmation of no refute, but only enraged opinion.

In short the fools monologue: "No eternal salvation! It's a lie!

Who said there is no eternal salvation? Of course there is. As the Scripture says, for all them that obey Jesus:

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him.

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

What's so tragic about Scripture commanding believers to obey Jesus?

People are people.

And sinners are sinners, and saints are saints.

He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

There is one difference between the sinner and the saint: obedience to God.

Who argues against obedience to God?