Seeking the Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusFreakMartyr

May 30, 2011
Hey everyone, I hope that you all are having an excellent Saturday and hopefully not being burdened by the crazy weather traveling around the U.S. I am hoping to receive some constructive insight and guidance from you all. I feel the deep calling from the Lord that one of my purposes in life is to support and lead a student ministry. I want to live and breathe student ministry, and surround my life of lifting up, supporting, embracing, teaching, and discipleship of young students and young adults! What I would like to ask is, What are effective ways of making this purpose come alive? Right now i am working a full-time job that is not church related, and also, have many bills under my belt - so an internship would not be possible as this point in my life. My youth pastor, also whom is my mentor, believes that I can achieve my calling - if i am willing to seek after it whole-heartily.

Right now, I am communicating with the students and young adults of my church on a daily basis. Sending them uplifting and encouraging messages on Facebook, as well as texting them and calling them throughout the week. We all fellowship on Wednesday nights after the student serve - and go to Chick-Fil-A for a few hours. So i have a foundation and clear connection with the students, But i want to take it to the next level with leadership and discipleship. Your thoughts are all greatly appreciated!!

Love and Peace in Christ!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am praying that someone will step in RW Schambach's shoes. RW Schambach found out that there was a neighborhood in LA that was so dangerous that the police would not go. Within the year that was where he was going to set up his tent. One time he set up his tent in the middle of tenement buildings on the outskirts of NYC when a terrible storm blew away his tent. Well, he had service anyway and what do you know that people started turning lights on in the tenement buildings, throwing the windows open, and giving him audience from their apartments. I miss his ministry! Would have loved to have riden the bike out west and spent a week with him in revival while he was on the Indian reservations! The Holy Spirit originally led me this direction but I regrettably got bogged down in the religious mire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RiCH75rfg0

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just had to sorta chuckle at this one. I just posted in your welcome topic, then I see this.

As I mentioned there, I'm 23 and pretty much in the same boat. I can relate pretty easily. I started this board in college with no clue where it would lead me. Just felt the desire to do it. A few years, I got involved with a local and very small church. It ended up that they needed a youth person - and so I volunteered without any real clue once again and here I am.

I think it starts with doing exactly what you're doing. Some people burden everyone with the idea that you better just quit what you're doing and go do it. I don't think that's innately wrong, but I don't think that's always the way God calls people. I think we have our experiences - including debt - for a reason because God's teaching us some things as well along the way.

In my limited experience - so don't take this as my attempt at expert advice at all - I think you're on the right path. It takes getting involved at some point and it might not be the glamorous role, but just getting active is where it begins. If you look at the called men and women of the Bible, they went and did things. The calling was never ideal. Ideally, we both would like to quit our day jobs and go do it, but I don't know about you, but I have a wife to provide for and probably much of the same debt you do.

Our youth need people - it's frankly a neglected ministry. Churches tend to spend more on buildings and even graveyards. Youth need guys like you that use social media and can relate.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sort of on the same note as Hammerstone, don't re-invent the wheel. It is often tempting to attempt building a new ministry from the ground up - when there may already be plenty of great ministries that are well-established in your area. Getting involved in an established ministry gives you a greater opportunity to work directly with the kids instead of worrying about all the groundwork. I am speaking from experience - I tried to start a high school group at my church when I was 18. My church was right across the street from the local high school. Instead of listening to God and doing some basic research, I put a lot of effort trying to make my dream happen. Unfortunately, location was the only thing that supported my idea. The church was filled with older people and young couples with young kids - there were no junior high or high school aged kids. All the Christians at the high school were already involved in another church with a dynamic outreach program. It took me two months and a good amount of my own money wasted before I listen to a call from God to join the other ministry - the story ended well, but it started painfully. Make sure you listen to God - He may lead you in directions you never thought of.

JesusFreakMartyr

May 30, 2011
Very well spoken Hammer and aspen, i really appreciate and honor yall's input and help! I'm glad to know that y'all have the same heart for youth as I do! and I do agree, I believe it is a neglected ministry. I'm not sure about y'alls churches or demographics, but in my church - the youth is leading the revival. Don't get me wrong, We have very wise and gifted adult leaders that are amazing at being there for us - but the majority of the congregation is riding the coattails of the youths boldness and urge to get out and spread the good news! Working with the youth is perfect for my Can-Do Spirit!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very well spoken Hammer and aspen, i really appreciate and honor yall's input and help! I'm glad to know that y'all have the same heart for youth as I do! and I do agree, I believe it is a neglected ministry. I'm not sure about y'alls churches or demographics, but in my church - the youth is leading the revival. Don't get me wrong, We have very wise and gifted adult leaders that are amazing at being there for us - but the majority of the congregation is riding the coattails of the youths boldness and urge to get out and spread the good news! Working with the youth is perfect for my Can-Do Spirit!

I applaud every line of that post!