Self Esteem

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
freedom comes in no longer trying to be something of value to the world.
I feel for you with your daughter, it is sad if and when they seem the least bit unhappy....that's just us being mums ( I have two)....Imagine our Father and Him seeing all the silly and even dangerous choices His kiddies are making every day ? hahaha............There are good posts here, and I am so glad you have overcome yours......It is a relatively strong weapon of the enemy to use against us..........I do so agree that our worth must be firmly planted in Him and not ourselves, in that way our esteem should be directed squarely at Him also, so that when the enemy tries to use 'ourselves' against ourselves, we will be able to resist him.
Paul ( I think ) also mentions we must not compare ourselves to others....Very wise, that is... :)

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Comparing the light and the darkness, the opposite of E/c2 would be z (absolute zero)/ c (darkness)...

Natural z/d - Nothing, empty space.
Mental z/d - Again nothing but empty space.
Spiritual z/d - z (laziness, coldness, hatred / d (fear, despair, greed, sorrow)

I know a black lady at work whose head of hair would normally be very difficult to work with. She can come to work with wonderful hair styles, laughing character, and smiling face. I compliment her on it. I said one day, who does your hair for you? She replied that she does it herself. I told her that would make a great ministry. I also told her the story of Maxwell Maltz, who was a plastic surgeon who would marvel at the change of character his work would do for people. He wrote books on this, one of them called "The Magic Power of Self Image Psychology" telling that most peoples image of themself is too poor.

I simply am all for that which builds spiritual E/c2. And the greatest source of such energy comes from the Holy Spirit himself.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
but a new habit can be formed in 21 days, so they say.
Really ? I was told by 'experts' in the medical field that it takes approx 6 weeks for something to become automatic in the human brain....How's that !....Only half the time, excellent, gives me a lot of hope hahaha....I find some things so difficult to make a habit of, must try harder...:)

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Really ? I was told by 'experts' in the medical field that it takes approx 6 weeks for something to become automatic in the human brain....How's that !....Only half the time, excellent, gives me a lot of hope hahaha....I find some things so difficult to make a habit of, must try harder...:)

No, you are probably right.
David just told me the same...in fact it was worse, he said it takes 66 days!!
So, take your pick...who can believe anything on the internet .
images.png

Reactions: pia

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is low self esteem bad? Does God want us to have high self esteem?

hold the Truth of God in high esteem, the rest will take care of itself.

the only acceptance and approval that's of any relevance in the case of Christianity to the Child of God is the Father's acceptance and approval. what if it was acknowledge of you by God that you are one of His Beloved? you don't get that without seeking the Lord God.

Paul says he isn't qualified to judge himself, your approval of yourself and the approval of others like here on this site, is irrelevant in your quest for the knowledge of Christ.

in the case of the Lord, one is taught of the Lord, not the opinions of others.

Last edited:

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
who can believe anything on the internet
hahah, yeah tell me about it.......Far too many things on the net. are complete fabrications, whether in text or pictures....Not easy to separate at times. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
truth is established in the mouth of two or three
But it must be two or three who are of the right Spirit. Consider what Jezebel did to Naboth in I Kings 21. She used the written law to get Naboth stoned to death. Her two witnesses were liars... though probably well paid liars.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But it must be two or three who are of the right Spirit. Consider what Jezebel did to Naboth in I Kings 21. She used the written law to get Naboth stoned to death. Her two witnesses were liars... though probably well paid liars.
well of course the concept can be abused, sure. Even if the truth still came out, right. The veracity of a witness can be questioned iow, sure. Bias might disqualify a witness, etc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well of course the concept can be abused, sure. Even if the truth still came out, right. The veracity of a witness can be questioned iow, sure. Bias might disqualify a witness, etc
Perjury has likely existed for a very long time.

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As with many aspects of the Christian life, true self esteem looks like weakness to the world. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses and approaching the world with peace of mind in Christ is humility/true self esteem. The world inflates strengths and denies weaknesses, which cultivates narcissism rather than self esteem.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can and must think well of yourself. Not more than you ought. I'm knowledgeable about pride etc. But I'm more familiar with being beat down. My father was harsh and very critical of me as I was the firstborn. First born are Guinea pigs and often catch the worst of it. Especially in a pagan home. I had cousins in a horrible home. My uncle was a scoundrel and as a consequence my female sharp tongued cousins saw and heard many things no one should experience.

I was younger than them and they took their venom out on me. I was a little fellow and children believe what you tell them. I was told I was stupid, ugly and so forth day after day. It crippled me all of my young life. Until I was 33 when Jesus saved me I still believed it.

An unknown visiting prophet called me out in a church service and said God was delivering me from a spirit of inferiority. They were right on! I never considered myself as good as others. As smart, as able. Going to college was out. A stupid person like me needn't even try. But God had given me a gift of reading and I escaped into books, so began to teach myself many things.I'd read for 12-14-16 hours a day on weekends until blinding headaches stopped me. I'd lie in a dark room with a wet rag on my head until I was better.

It took a long time - years to begin to accept that I wasn't backward, wasn't stupid, wasn't the little #$++*%!! That I was called when I was three. Self esteem, balanced, is very important.

Not thinking more of yourself than you should is important, but knowing you are not less is at least so. As a consequence when our miracle babies came, as they grew we never let them call each other names. Never. Refused to let one put down another. Never. No beat down spirits allowed here.

Whatever you tell a child they believe. You must build them up. There are multitudes ofwounded adults that have been beaten down by family, by circumstances, by being poor. By the world the flesh and the devil.

I have one memory that even now pains me some. I was about 13 or 14 and in Jr. High. There was a dance at school and I would have loved to go but knew I couldn't. I walked to school that night and looked into the windows at the other kids having a good time. It was painful. I walked back home in the dark. I was or became a loner because of being beat down. Low or no self esteem is a painful unwell burden.

But God gradually helped me after the prophecy. I formed a small corporation and went into business for myself employing 7 or eight draftsmen, designers and engineers. Even though I didn't have an engineering degree God helped me succeed. This is bragging here but on Jesus! How great the riches of His creativity He's bestowed upon us who believe.

Amos 9:11 KJVS
In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

We designed literally millions of dollars worth of equipment and systems for the forest products industry. God took a castaway and rebirthed him into a retrieved, rescued and healed disciple.

This is a large saw I designed for the company I contracted with. The saw is 7ft.in diameter. The log slashing saw unit weighs 14,000 lbs and moves via computerized controls at 5 feet per second. Jesus showed me how. They sell these all over the USA.

Thank you Jesus. Not bad for a person who once thought they were dumb, too stupid to perform common tasks. God erased all of those words and set me upon a rock. The power of God to heal goes far beyond diseases and reaches into the very past, into the depths of crippled and wounded hearts. Thanks to God is not nearly enough friends, not nearly. What are your needs?

Psalm 147:2-3 KJVS
The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. [3] He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Yes, we must not think more of ourselves than we ought. We must not have a pride filled look about us. We also must not look down at the ground because we feel less than those around us. But we can look a man or woman in the eye, offer them a firm handshake and speak the truth in love. Giving neither false praise nor condescending criticism to hearts already suffering the pangs of firey darts.

Praises be to the Great Creator God Almighty who has designed His eternal redemption through the sacrifice of Jesus the Christ whom we worship with all of our heart and strength and soul and mind. Amen

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can and must think well of yourself. Not more than you ought. I'm knowledgeable about pride etc. But I'm more familiar with being beat down. My father was harsh and very critical of me as I was the firstborn. First born are Guinea pigs and often catch the worst of it. Especially in a pagan home. I had cousins in a horrible home. My uncle was a scoundrel and as a consequence my female sharp tongued cousins saw and heard many things no one should experience.

I was younger than them and they took their venom out on me. I was a little fellow and children believe what you tell them. I was told I was stupid, ugly and so forth day after day. It crippled me all of my young life. Until I was 33 when Jesus saved me I still believed it.

An unknown visiting prophet called me out in a church service and said God was delivering me from a spirit of inferiority. They were right on! I never considered myself as good as others. As smart, as able. Going to college was out. A stupid person like me needn't even try. But God had given me a gift of reading and I escaped into books, so began to teach myself many things.I'd read for 12-14-16 hours a day on weekends until blinding headaches stopped me. I'd lie in a dark room with a wet rag on my head until I was better.

It took a long time - years to begin to accept that I wasn't backward, wasn't stupid, wasn't the little #$++*%!! That I was called when I was three. Self esteem, balanced, is very important.

Not thinking more of yourself than you should is important, but knowing you are not less is at least so. As a consequence when our miracle babies came, as they grew we never let them call each other names. Never. Refused to let one put down another. Never. No beat down spirits allowed here.

Whatever you tell a child they believe. You must build them up. There are multitudes ofwounded adults that have been beaten down by family, by circumstances, by being poor. By the world the flesh and the devil.

I have one memory that even now pains me some. I was about 13 or 14 and in Jr. High. There was a dance at school and I would have loved to go but knew I couldn't. I walked to school that night and looked into the windows at the other kids having a good time. It was painful. I walked back home in the dark. I was or became a loner because of being beat down. Low or no self esteem is a painful unwell burden.

But God gradually helped me after the prophecy. I formed a small corporation and went into business for myself employing 7 or eight draftsmen, designers and engineers. Even though I didn't have an engineering degree God helped me succeed. This is bragging here but on Jesus! How great the riches of His creativity He's bestowed upon us who believe.

Amos 9:11 KJVS
In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

We designed literally millions of dollars worth of equipment and systems for the forest products industry. God took a castaway and rebirthed him into a retrieved, rescued and healed disciple.

This is a large saw I designed for the company I contracted with. The saw is 7ft.in diameter. The log slashing saw unit weighs 14,000 lbs and moves via computerized controls at 5 feet per second. Jesus showed me how. They sell these all over the USA.

Thank you Jesus. Not bad for a person who once thought they were dumb, too stupid to perform common tasks. God erased all of those words and set me upon a rock. The power of God to heal goes far beyond diseases and reaches into the very past, into the depths of crippled and wounded hearts. Thanks to God is not nearly enough friends, not nearly. What are your needs?

Psalm 147:2-3 KJVS
The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel. [3] He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.

Yes, we must not think more of ourselves than we ought. We must not have a pride filled look about us. We also must not look down at the ground because we feel less than those around us. But we can look a man or woman in the eye, offer them a firm handshake and speak the truth in love. Giving neither false praise nor condescending criticism to hearts already suffering the pangs of firey darts.

Praises be to the Great Creator God Almighty who has designed His eternal redemption through the sacrifice of Jesus the Christ whom we worship with all of our heart and strength and soul and mind. Amen

Frank, my husband would want that saw! He has always wanted a sawmill. So far, it hasn't been God's plan though.

I'm sorry you suffered so much negativity spoken over you as a child. I tell my grandkids when they start bickering and poking at each other: be builder-uppers not tearer-downers. Don't know if that makes sense but they seem to get it. They stop for about a minute.

I can related to your journey; I won't go into all the details but my childhood left me believing I am human-repellent. Every one has their struggle: mine was a "safe haven" I built around myself to keep others out. Fear set the perimeters. Problem is, a safe haven is just that; not only does it keep others out but there comes a point when you realize what you have built is a cage and you are its prisoner. I wasn't a reader like you. Never picked up a book and believed I could read it until in my forties. It was God that led me to reading. As far as confidence: I still don't have much faith in myself and I have come to believe, that is more than okay. God never asked for me to have faith "in me." There are still times when God leads me into something way over my head, on impulse, I want to turn and shut down out of fear. But then He reminds, "are you doing this based off your abilities, or based off My abilities." Much like when Peter stepped out of the boat: when my sight is focused on Him the confidence is there, the minute I turn back to accessing all my failure and weaknesses...The sinking begins.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I happen to like Frank very much, so this is not a put-down of him. But, we do not become "anything" because of what other people do. Nor, do "they" make us do anything. I have spent more than two decades helping protect our children from people who developed into Child Molesters because of this faulty thinking.

Our negative responses are strictly due to us not taking control of our own perceptions of the actions of others. It sounds simple, and I know it isn't, but it IS very easily identified, and there are many ways to deal with it.

Reactions: aspen and Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I happen to like Frank very much, so this is not a put-down of him. But, we do not become "anything" because of what other people do. Nor, do "they" make us do anything. I have spent more than two decades helping protect our children from people who developed into Child Molesters because of this faulty thinking.

Our negative responses are strictly due to us not taking control of our own perceptions of the actions of others. It sounds simple, and I know it isn't, but it IS very easily identified, and there are many ways to deal with it.

In a way Willie they do or can make us different in many ways. I have always an achiever. Not to impress anyone but for the sheer love of inventing, creating, working. The negativity of others will or can provoke us to act. Before salvation that provoking usually causes us to act - react in bad ways. Getting even, adopting an "I'll show you" mentality.

Only Jesus can cause you, us to act rightly. One of the chief things about being saved and filled with the Holy Spirit is a constant awareness of His presence. This is a comfort not a hindrance. We want to Him to be pleased with us so strive to act - Nay be what He wants us to be.

We know He works good through us and are partakers in that good. It's the old

"Papa and I shot a bear but Papa shot it" adage.

I personally believe - know that when you've been through particular things that Jesus gives you an awareness, a gift of discernment to see others that are afflicted in particular ways. We can emphasize, recognize their pain and pray for them. minister to them.

In each of your own lives you are very aware of the negative things from your past that molded you in ways. The devil intended them for our harm but God turned them for the good. His "victory" in the crucifixion of Jesus was not a victory at all for him but was for all of us who believe.

It's wonderful to share intimate things with others such as many of you here that understand what you are saying. People are helped when they can speak and be spoken to in the love of God. Without God men tend to either puff each other up in pride or tear one another down also for pride or fear. Guarding their turf like a dog guarding a bone.

But as Christians we need not fear reproach because where the spirit of the Lord is given His rightful place at the head there is indeed true liberty. Reproach may come but we are rejoicing since we are walking in His steps, suffering and enduring rebuke for His name.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a way Willie they do or can make us different in many ways. I have always an achiever. Not to impress anyone but for the sheer love of inventing, creating, working. The negativity of others will or can provoke us to act. Before salvation that provoking usually causes us to act - react in bad ways. Getting even, adopting an "I'll show you" mentality.

Only Jesus can cause you, us to act rightly. One of the chief things about being saved and filled with the Holy Spirit is a constant awareness of His presence. This is a comfort not a hindrance. We want to Him to be pleased with us so strive to act - Nay be what He wants us to be.

We know He works good through us and are partakers in that good. It's the old

"Papa and I shot a bear but Papa shot it" adage.

I personally believe - know that when you've been through particular things that Jesus gives you an awareness, a gift of discernment to see others that are afflicted in particular ways. We can emphasize, recognize their pain and pray for them. minister to them.

In each of your own lives you are very aware of the negative things from your past that molded you in ways. The devil intended them for our harm but God turned them for the good. His "victory" in the crucifixion of Jesus was not a victory at all for him but was for all of us who believe.

It's wonderful to share intimate things with others such as many of you here that understand what you are saying. People are helped when they can speak and be spoken to in the love of God. Without God men tend to either puff each other up in pride or tear one another down also for pride or fear. Guarding their turf like a dog guarding a bone.

But as Christians we need not fear reproach because where the spirit of the Lord is given His rightful place at the head there is indeed true liberty. Reproach may come but we are rejoicing since we are walking in His steps, suffering and enduring rebuke for His name.
I never intend to give the impression that we do not let what others do shape us, and often in awful ways. But, it actually is not what they did that did the shaping. It was each of our own private and esoteric "perceptions" that did that. This is easily seen anywhere, anytime, when you observe various people reacting differently to one particular act of another single individual.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Frank, my husband would want that saw! He has always wanted a sawmill. So far, it hasn't been God's plan though.

I'm sorry you suffered so much negativity spoken over you as a child. I tell my grandkids when they start bickering and poking at each other: be builder-uppers not tearer-downers. Don't know if that makes sense but they seem to get it. They stop for about a minute.

I can related to your journey; I won't go into all the details but my childhood left me believing I am human-repellent. Every one has their struggle: mine was a "safe haven" I built around myself to keep others out. Fear set the perimeters. Problem is, a safe haven is just that; not only does it keep others out but there comes a point when you realize what you have built is a cage and you are its prisoner. I wasn't a reader like you. Never picked up a book and believed I could read it until in my forties. It was God that led me to reading. As far as confidence: I still don't have much faith in myself and I have come to believe, that is more than okay. God never asked for me to have faith "in me." There are still times when God leads me into something way over my head, on impulse, I want to turn and shut down out of fear. But then He reminds, "are you doing this based off your abilities, or based off My abilities." Much like when Peter stepped out of the boat: when my sight is focused on Him the confidence is there, the minute I turn back to accessing all my failure and weaknesses...The sinking begins.

Old Nick knows how to crush. I can relate to much of what you have shared. Be strong papadam as I know you will be. Not long to go.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus