Self-Indulgence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understood but only agreeing there is a change in desires. Romans 7:16-17 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. [17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Yes, the flesh tries to promote it's desires, but we have new desires, and we follow them to the extent that we believe.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says He writes His laws on our heart (flesh tables), why do I need to go to scripture?

Hi Waiting. As it is impossible to please God without faith, you need to feed on His living, breathing Word because, the bible states that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by The Word Of God" So then, we all have a "measure" of faith yet we should be growing it...there is no other way to have the faith God requires. JMHO. :)

forgot a couple of verses, doh!!! :D
Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where exactly is it that God says this?

Much love!
Hebrews 10:16-17 KJV
[16] This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; [17] And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Waiting. As it is impossible to please God without faith, you need to feed on His living, breathing Word because, the bible states that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by The Word Of God" So then, we all have a "measure" of faith yet we should be growing it...there is no other way to have the faith God requires. JMHO. :)

forgot a couple of verses, doh!!! :D
Hebrews 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

Romans 10:17

17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
I agree and what I’ve found in searching His word, is his approval.

As for written laws there for the lawless.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could be so but at the same time even “loving others” can become self-indulgence.
What is in our heart?

"For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:46-47

And then from what Paul wrote:

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phil 2:3

Jesus provided that impossible example for us to follow and then He made it a possibility. Absolutely selfless! All for the other guy!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything done outside of God's presence really. All that is not of faith...or in faith...is sin.

Jesus Christ came to reconcile us to the Father so as to restore that intimacy with God...but at a higher level. This is accomplished by becoming a disciple of Christ and entering INTO Him....taking on HIS life. Since Jesus is ALWAYS in the presence of th Father...so are we when we abide in Him.

Sin is anything that is not in God's will. We seek to establish our own righteousness (if we admit it or not) when we do anything from ourselves. We were not created to be independent and autonomous beings that do as we please. We were created for HIS pleasure...not our own. The flesh is rebellious against this notion and demands personal freedom...just like the devil does.
Each morning when we awake with our own keys in our hand, we need to turn them over to Him and never take them back as we move through the day until our eyes close one more time. It is called surrender!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:16-17 KJV
[16] This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; [17] And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Tecarta Bible

14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
15 And the Holy Spirit also beareth witness to us; for after he hath said, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them After those days, saith the Lord: I will put my laws on their heart, And upon their mind also will I write them; [then saith he,] 17 And their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

So then this is a quote from the OT, and it is called out for context.

"for after he hath said . . ." "And their sins and their iniquities I will remember no more."

The point the writer is making, seems to me, then that are sanctified are perfected forever by one offering, their sins having been forgotten.

And to support this, the writer notes that after is it written that God will make a new covenant wherein He would write His laws on their hearts, after He says about this, He goes on to say that their sins will not be remembered.

So, rather than affirming a covenant of Law upon the Christian, the writer affirms the forgiveness of sins found even in the same place as this other statement.

So then we need to ask, this other statement, about laws being written on hearts, to whom does it apply?

So we need to track down the quote, and examine the context, and parallel passages, and answer all those first questions, who, what, when, how, why.

Much love!

PS . . . and then I read your post about the written law being for the lawless, and, Yes!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
15 And the Holy Spirit also beareth witness to us; for after he hath said, 16 This is the covenant that I will make with them After those days, saith the Lord: I will put my laws on their heart, And upon their mind also will I write them; [then saith he,] 17 And their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

So then this is a quote from the OT, and it is called out for context.

"for after he hath said . . ." "And their sins and their iniquities I will remember no more."

The point the writer is making, seems to me, then that are sanctified are perfected forever by one offering, their sins having been forgotten.

And to support this, the writer notes that after is it written that God will make a new covenant wherein He would write His laws on their hearts, after He says about this, He goes on to say that their sins will not be remembered.

So, rather than affirming a covenant of Law upon the Christian, the writer affirms the forgiveness of sins found even in the same place as this other statement.

So then we need to ask, this other statement, about laws being written on hearts, to whom does it apply?

So we need to track down the quote, and examine the context, and parallel passages, and answer all those first questions, who, what, when, how, why.

Much love!

PS . . . and then I read your post about the written law being for the lawless, and, Yes!
Opinions vary as to who Israel is.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People who have walked with God for decades have come to realize that they are NOT becoming more holy by osmosis. Actually the tendency is to become biased and blase...

This is the truth. Its almost like...a rediscovering of your poverty. Its the recurrent theme in my life. Forget, rediscover, forget, rediscover.