Seminary?!?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Christina, no offense taken, but if you can find me one place where God or Jesus said they would write a book for us, then maybe i might accept what you have to say, but Jesus said He would send us the Holy spirit, to teach us and guide us. As He said, " The words that I speak they are life", and was it Paul that said," the letter killeth", or Jesus to the pharrisees about the scriptures which they knew back to front and told them of Jesus but they wouldnt go to Him", so you have both Jesus and the scriptures, wouldnt you prefer the living Jesus to the dead letter.` See christians dont go to Jesus, they go to church, they put men as there head instead of Jesus, the dont believe what they read, and cant see the reality of Jesus, call me a fool, but without Jesus my life would have no purpose.In His Love

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
mjrhealth;75159]Hi Christina said:
First off its not a dead book..its living Word of God and I personally atest to the fact that it grows with one knowlegde and wisdom it is the living Word...First was the Word you can not serprate God from his Words they teach us who he is who we are .. it isnt an either or choice of him or the book He wrote you a letter for a reason ...He did it for us yet you throw it back in his face and say thanks but no thanks ? The Bible was written by God. Second Timothy 3:16 tells us that the Bible was "breathed out" by God. God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended. The Bible was not dictated by God, but it was perfectly guided and entirely inspired by Him. 2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV) 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,  Do you understand ALL ? its means everyword All of it ... Humanly speaking, the Bible was written by approximately 40 men of diverse backgrounds over the course of 1500 years. Isaiah was a prophet, Ezra was a priest, Matthew was a tax-collector, John was a fisherman, Paul was a tentmaker, Moses was a shepherd, Luke was a physician. Despite being penned by different authors over 15 centuries, the Bible does not contradict itself and does not contain any errors. The authors all present different perspectives, but they all proclaim the same one true God, and the same one way of salvation—Jesus Christ This isnt proof of it short coming but the miracle that it could ever come to be after 20 plus years of studying it I am left in awe everyday at its utter perfection and never ending teaching so that a single person in a life time can never learn it all only God can do this every question of life is answered. history is correctly told the future is correctly prophesiedonly men are confused do not let them and their lies and misinterpretations keep you from your fathers word ... They are wrong not God he is perfect as is the book he sent you ... Beyond the evidence for the Bible's correctness (manuscript evidence) and its historicity (archeological evidence), the most important evidence is that of its inspiration. The real determination of the Bible's claim to absolute inspired truth is in its supernatural evidence, including prophecy. God used prophets to speak and write down His Word and God uses miracles like fulfilled prophecy to authenticate His messengers. For example, in Genesis 12:7, God promises that the land of Israel was to be for Abraham and his descendants. In 1948 Israel was returned back to the Jewish people for the second time in history. This may not seem so astonishing until you realize that no nation in the history of the world has been scattered from its homeland and returned! Israel has done it twice. The book of Daniel predicts with accuracy the coming of the four great kingdoms from Babylon, to Medo-Persia, to Greece, to Rome centuries before some of those kingdoms came on the scene (a time span of over 1,000 years!) with details concerning how they would rule and be broken. This includes the reigns of Alexander the Great and Antiochus Epiphanies. There are so many prophecies concerning Christ (over 270!) that it would take more than a few screens worth of space to list them all. Further, Jesus would have had no control over many of them such as His birthplace or time of birth. Second, the odds of one man accidentally fulfilling even 16 of these are 1 in 10^45. How many is that? For comparison, there are less than 10^28 atoms in the entire universe! And Jesus, who affirmed the Bible as the Word of God, proved His reliability and deity by His resurrection (an historical fact not easily ignored). Jesus said is it not written ...where to you think he was talking about that it was written ? Even Satan while tempting Christ quotes scripture by twisting it to tempt Christ why would it tempt Christ if it were lies ?Why wouldnt Christ just say dont quote lies of men to me ?No he quotes scripture back How did Satan know Gods Word if it wasnt important ? Why did Christ quote from it ? I suggest you read Luke 4 where Jesus not only quotes scripture he reads from Isa. do you think he is reading Lies of men ? Psalm 22 written 1000 years before Christ tells of the crucifiction down to the soldiers cast lots for his cloths .... What do you say to the dead sea scrolls 1000 years older than our bible yet word for word they match .. If you believe in God who is Christ and deny his Word you deny him Psa 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me, Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: Who do you think these prophets are ? All the ones who are written in the book all the ones who wrote the book . These are Gods prophets to deny them as so denys Gods sworn statements as truth ..to deny God is to deny Christ you cant have it both ways .. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, And lastly if you don't believe his prophets who wrote the word he breathed to them then how do you believe he will return as written ... how can you believe he was sent if you dont belive that he was foretold by God in the book that it is written ....

Redeemed22

Nov 10, 2009
Citizen of Heaven
Jesus speaking: Matthew 22:29.
mjrhealth;75159]Hi Christina said:
Look at what Jesus said in Luke 16:19-31, since you do trust what Jesus says.Read the full story and then look at verses 29 and 31. Jesus is saying that ignoring Moses and the prophets is grounds for damnation. When Jesus was speaking these things, Moses and the prophets were long dead (well, John the Baptist was short dead). In other words, their words were in the scriptures and nowhere else. (In the scriptures can mean on paper, in people's memory, in a song- a verse is God's Word whether spoken or sung or written....so long as it isn't twisted....but I digress.) Why would salvation have anything to do with the prophets? Isn't it all about faith and grace? Of course salvation comes by faith alone, and is given out of grace alone, and in Christ alone: there are no checklists or chores to fulfill. None. But the prophets spoke from God, as Christina so adeptly pointed out. If you categorically dismiss God's Words throughout His redemptive history, then you can't actually have the faith that is necesary to be saved. You would be believing in a totally different god. You would be calling God a liar, and his methods of redemption corrupt. Could you then put trust in him in a sincere way? No. You could lie to yourself all day long, but it would still be superfiscial faith.Now, don't get me wrong, a person can have some doubts, misconceptions, or ignorance towards individual scriptures and still get saved. But to dismiss scripture so categorically reveals a distrust of God's character. If God's character is not trustable, could you trust God to reward those who seek Him? Could you have faith? Could you please Him? Hebrews 11:6Check out Luke 24:44-46. The scriptures testify about Jesus. Jesus said that they must be fulfilled. In other words, they were True testimonies. Jesus' actions were subject to them, and Jesus was only subject to instruction from the Father. By the way, compare John 5:24 with Luke 16:19-31. Jesus says that the rich man in the story can't cross over from death to life because he didn't listen to the words of the prophets and Moses. Jesus says that if you believe in Jesus' words, then you cross over from death into life. Thus, according to Jesus, who is God, the words of the prophets are the words of Jesus, and they are the Word of God.Now look at John 5:33, which is Jesus speaking:"You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved."Now look at John 5:39b-40"...These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life. "Since testimonies to the truth, even if they are spoken by humans, are worthy of Jesus to cite to spur people to faith (think: why wouldn't he just say His own words only?), and the scriptures testify to Jesus, Jesus would expect readers of the scriptures to come to faith. But some people refuse to come to Jesus even though they read the scriptures...and it is their fault, not the scriptures'.Now that I made those notes, here is more of the passage, uninterupted:John 5:31-4731"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid. 32There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is valid. 33"You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light. 36"I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me. 37And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39You diligently study[c] the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life. 41"I do not accept praise from men, 42but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God[d]? 45"But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"Read that last line. Jesus is talking to people who pretended to trust the words of Moses...they were the All-Star team of obeying Moses...they were cups clean on the outside. Jesus says they refused to listen to Moses (though they pretended to) and so they were UNABLE to trust in Jesus (though they could pretend to).Pray about it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness
Always taken out of context , he was talking of the OT the taurah and has nothing to do with the bible that was, compiled, many years later. Jesus only ever quoated the OT, and in that I have no issues, but Jesus sent us the Holy spirirt to teach us, why isnt He enough for us when He was enough for the disciples. Just becasue I dont believe all the bible to be all correct has nothing to do with having Jesus ," the word", in me and has nothing to do with my salavtion. I beleve all that Jesus and God says, its the spoken word that bring life, the written word cannot bring you life, and that is what He was telling the pharrisees, and why is it I must have a pastor or any other person between me and Jesus, if I am one of His sheep, then I must be able to hear His voice, isnt that what He said. Like I said , maybe im a fool for believing Him.In His LOve

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well knowledge of scripture would teach you that the Old Testament is the New testament concealed the new testament the Old revealed ... If you dont have enough faith to believe the whole word is from God /Christ No one can help you. You use the same argument that athiestist use.I excuse them because they no not what they say .. but you claim to be a believer as long as you dont have to listen to Gods Words he wrote you ... Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: Many dont understand or want to bother reading his Words thats one thing but you are not saying that.You are saying they are not his Words not from his prophets that equals calling God a liar ... The aspostels received the full knowledge of God on Penecost Day when the Holy Ghost came on them this is a twice in scripture miracle this is not the same as the spirit being in all believers. They received this so they could preach the gospel around the World, But this full knowledge of God is not given to every beliver as it was the apostels .. So they wrote it down for us as God instructed them .... So we could be blessed with what they were given so we could continue Gods work of preaching the gospel around the World .. Yet you deny this knowledge they wrote to us ... think that the begining is the End .. The fear of God better translated the reverance of God is the beginning of knowledge not the End ..Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
mjrhealth"Jesus only refers to th Ot , The Torah, for that is what He was taught, the only other book ever given was the book of revelation. "Are you saying that only the Torah and book of Revelation are Scripture? The Torah is just the first part of the OT, you know, it's not Psalms or the Prophets. The OT is not the Gospels. Are they illegitimate also, in your opinion? Where, pray tell, did you get your Bible knowledge?

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
mjrhealth;75175]Always taken out of context said:
"Always taken out of context." This is a quote from Timothy you are talking about. How can it be taken out of "context" if it is not part of "your" Scripture? You say the Torah is God's Word, not the New Testament. Why would you believe in a God that stopped working with the Torah? Does He not have the ability to also inspire the New Testament?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
mjrhealth;75175]Always taken out of context said:
This post of yours (and previously others of yours in this thread) is complete foolishness.II Corinthians 11:4 - For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.This verse alone sums up your post... God clearly says that nitpicking is extremely dangerous. And you will be in trouble for denying your Father's Words. Watch over which path you are taking. You are going for the wrong Jesus...God is the God or the Old Testament as well as the God of the New Testament. Old Testament is New Testament concealed and New Testament is Old Testament revealed. As both OT and NT needs to be finished in prophecy.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
What about John 1:1-3? It says that the word is God. Jesus fulfilled everything that was proclaimed in the OT and that can be clearly seen in the NT. The gospel is their to help a christian grow in faith. How can you grow in your walk with Christ without studying his word? You are living off of milk alone like an infant. I would reconsider your stance on the gospel!!!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus said," I am the bread of life, anyman who comes to me will not go hungry". I have my fill everyday of Jesus, i have being weaned off religion and the techings, false doctrines of men, have the Holy Spirit to teach me ( just as anyone else), and have but one head over me ,Jesus. I know Him because we talk and although its never enough, i do spend time with Him. My Only Hope.In His LOve

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
mjrhealth;75264]Jesus said said:
No one is saying you shouldnt do that however Gods Word is not religion nor false doctrine and for you to say that puts you in errorWe all do the same thing this gives you nothing the rest of us dont have but we have chosen to follow and do as he says and study his Words out of faith that he has foretold us all things as he promised. one day you will stand before him and when asks did not you read my Words?your excuse will not be enough ...The fear of God better translated the reverance of God is the beginning of knowledge not the End ..Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually Christina, I suppose He would thank me for listening to Him when few others would. Why would i read an auobiography when I have the person to tell me all. In His Love

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth;75264] i have being weaned off religion and the techings said:
What took you so long? "weaned"?I dropped them like a hot potato. Ha!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
mjrhealth;75271]Actually Christina said:
It matters to me little one way or the other if one choose's not to study Gods word its your choice but I do take offense when you call his Holy Word lies and say its not the Word of God because when people call my/our God a liar it is offensive ... but it also affects your soul That was the point of our appealing to you .... for your sake, not oursbut you think he will bless you for denying his Word, for ignoring his command to learn the meat, calling his Words lies ...fine by me. We did our part trying to show you ..Now its on your head PSby the way its not just a biography its a letter to you/us from your Father he wrote to us because he loves us ...and wanted to give us insturction and wisdom